Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Why on Earth would you think that? I have no idea why some people think people in other countries are significantly different or "better" than Americans.  

Just last month, a French bus driver was beaten to death when he asked riders to adhere to French laws and wear masks on public transport. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53367432

dude, muh rights! remember? americans especially the ones below the mason dixon are rubes.  these other countries have a monopoly on elite status folks.

New additions and recent updates:

•  Curevac moves from Phase 1 to 2. Aug. 17

https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization?utm_source=morning_brew

Quick and affordable saliva-based COVID-19 test developed by Yale scientists receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization
By Michael Greenwoodaugust 15, 2020

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

But “Muh rights” is the reason we’re all screwed.  This is the kind of shit that makes the Lockdown Larry’s of the world look like that business school professor that’s never actually run a business.   Fucking shit.  

It's sad that Communist China seems to have more fun than us 

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

But “Muh rights” is the reason we’re all screwed.  This is the kind of shit that makes the Lockdown Larry’s of the world look like that business school professor that’s never actually run a business.   Fucking shit.  

can you expand on the point you're making here?  i am confused.  are you saying that because people in china are at a waterpark, that "lockdown larrys" are wrong?  i'm genuinely trying to understand.

16 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I actually totally agree on the T cell part.  That graph is kind of comparing apples to oranges with population density etc.  But I agree on T cells explaining being closer to herd immunity than ab testing would show...for sure.  I'm really starting to get optimistic that we don't see a second flare up in big cities.  One thing that's odd is in our group of 15 that all ended up with it in early March - only two of the 15 didn't show antibodies.  You'd think it would be more than that and the others fought it with T cells and didn't show antibodies.  And all 15 got it after being at a conference together. 

Also the severity had nothing to do with comorbidities...the 6-7 with type O blood did really well, even with a fatty or two in that group.  And the others did worse - especially Type A.  Harvard has a study out in July that showed no correlation at all and I'm sure their study is better than mine but I don't buy it (other studies have shown correlation that I'm discussing too). 

I can't wrap my brain around why certain people get it and others don't and the wide variety in severity of the cases.  I am firmly in the middle ground of thinking this is a serious virus (had a close friend die from it - 44 years old for those that care) and also wondering what the right answer is (shutting down the economy and society for any long period of time is not the answer).

But, a close friend who is a nurse practioner and likely got the virus that way, did not pass it to anyone else in her family, and they didn't do anything special to isolate her in the house.  Her husband is one of the bigger guys I know (my buddy that passed was heavy also) so I was very worried about him getting it.  He tested negative and never showed any symptoms at all.  This was over a month ago, so I would think he is in the clear.

I know other families that have had a positive, but no one else in the family showed symptoms or tested positive.  Other than my buddy who passed away after 10 days in the hospital and 3 days on a vent, all of the other cases I am aware of have ranged from 2 days of feeling like complete shit to a week of headaches and loss of smell.  No one else I know was hospitalized aside from an elderly mom that was moved from the nursing home to the hospital then back after beating the virus.

This thing has very different effects on different people for whatever reason.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

What the caption doesn't tell you is that this is a picture of the Phase III clinical trial of the Chinese vax. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jinx said:

I can't wrap my brain around why certain people get it and others don't and the wide variety in severity of the cases.  I am firmly in the middle ground of thinking this is a serious virus (had a close friend die from it - 44 years old for those that care) and also wondering what the right answer is (shutting down the economy and society for any long period of time is not the answer).

But, a close friend who is a nurse practioner and likely got the virus that way, did not pass it to anyone else in her family, and they didn't do anything special to isolate her in the house.  Her husband is one of the bigger guys I know (my buddy that passed was heavy also) so I was very worried about him getting it.  He tested negative and never showed any symptoms at all.  This was over a month ago, so I would think he is in the clear.

I know other families that have had a positive, but no one else in the family showed symptoms or tested positive.  Other than my buddy who passed away after 10 days in the hospital and 3 days on a vent, all of the other cases I am aware of have ranged from 2 days of feeling like complete shit to a week of headaches and loss of smell.  No one else I know was hospitalized aside from an elderly mom that was moved from the nursing home to the hospital then back after beating the virus.

This thing has very different effects on different people for whatever reason.

I could be wrong but I’d bet a lot of money your buddy who passed was NOT type O.  Just playing odds on that one.  Seems to have more correlation than morbid obesity which is insane.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

12 minutes ago, sidis said:

can you expand on the point you're making here?  i am confused.  are you saying that because people in china are at a waterpark, that "lockdown larrys" are wrong?  i'm genuinely trying to understand.

Morons like, last week: China sucks, we should never emulate their COVID strategy

Morons today: HEY LOOK WHAT WUHAN IS DOING LOL CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW DUMB WE ARE TO NOT BE DOING THE SAME THING 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I could be wrong but I’d bet a lot of money your buddy who passed was NOT type O.  Just playing odds on that one.  Seems to have more correlation than morbid obesity which is insane.  

I think when it’s all said & done it will be found that there is no correlation between blood type & virus susceptibility. Over half of Hispanics have type O blood yet this virus is hitting us hard.

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We will see how New York City goes.  Cultural Institutions are going to be allowed to reopen on August 24, so that includes museums like the Met, the Guggenheim, the Natural History Museum, etc...

Cuomo is supposed to give more updates about gyms today as well.  

Schools in NYC are slated to reopen on September 8 (I believe), so that will be another data point to follow.

So far, with every reopening, NYC has not seen a spike.  Of course, mask wearing indoors is at 100%.

Has NY opened up any indoor bars or restaurants yet? 

Italy did, and their cases are rising again, so now they're shutting them down again.  Just as Spain did a few weeks ago after seeing their cases start climbing.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

"rising" is kind of a relative statement, though.

https://i.ibb.co/ZzkS8kP/italy.jpg

spacer.png

Maybe?  They're the ones that are concerned enough about it to shutdown the bars again.  I suppose they've watched what has happened in other parts of the world including their nearby neighbor Spain, and decided to take action before their curve looks like this:

Spain.PNG

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Maybe?  They're the ones that are concerned enough about it to shutdown the bars again.  I suppose they've watched what has happened in other parts of the world including their nearby neighbor Spain, and decided to take action before their curve looks like this:

Spain.PNG

Yeah, not disagreeing at all. My first thought when I saw that is that they're just being incredibly proactive about it. A rise from ~200 new cases per day to ~400 per day and they're already locking back down. 

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Italy did, and their cases are rising again, so now they're shutting them down again.  Just as Spain did a few weeks ago after seeing their cases start climbing.

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"rising" is kind of a relative statement, though.

https://i.ibb.co/ZzkS8kP/italy.jpg

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Spain.PNG

Spain appears to be the closest to a recurring outbreak. I’ll be interested to follow the hospitalizations and deaths associated. It’s been discussed here thoroughly but more testing catches more cases, likely in less dangerous segments of the population. Have to think that first case number spike was in reality much higher. 

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, not disagreeing at all. My first thought when I saw that is that they're just being incredibly proactive about it. A rise from ~200 new cases per day to ~400 per day and they're already locking back down. 

Yup, and I suspect it will work to prevent a large spike for them.  I think one of the biggest lessons we've learned about the virus, is that it spreads extremely well in indoor conditions with recirculated air and no sub-micron filtering, places where people aren't wearing masks because they're eating and drinking, and where distancing likely isn't strictly followed or even possible in some cases.

So... bars.

As a person that loves to grab drinks at bars, this sucks, but there's just no doubt that the spread is likely, under these conditions, and circumstances.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/italy-shutters-nightclubs-mandates-masks-as-coronavirus-case-numbers-rise-again/2020/08/17/24e5e2e4-e066-11ea-82d8-5e55d47e90ca_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virusitaly-1045a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

No. And I doubt indoor bars will open up anytime soon. Indoor dining will need that some point, but let’s get museums and gyms first.

4 hours ago, sidis said:

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

yeah, to me the photo says, Wuhan is now reaping the benefits of a covid mitigation policy that had them literally locked down for 4 months. And when i say "locked down," i don't mean the half assed attempts we have tried here.

we were/are a weak willed society and it's hobbling us slowly and surely.

Wuhan can do the fun stuff safely now. Oh we still do it, but it is not safe at all. we are trying to eat our pudding without eating our meat first.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, sidis said:

He has no idea what point he’s making. He wanted to use the term “lockdown Larry’s” and also pretend like his $70k gross W2 puts him in Titans of Industry threshold that scoffs at people that have the audacity to teach others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, yoladu said:

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

yeah, to me the photo says, Wuhan is now reaping the benefits of a covid mitigation policy that had them literally locked down for 4 months. And when i say "locked down," i don't mean the half assed attempts we have tried here.

we were/are a weak willed society and it's hobbling us slowly and surely.

Wuhan can do the fun stuff safely now. Oh we still do it, but it is not safe at all. we are trying to eat our pudding without eating our meat first.

Locking down for 4 months is much easier to do in communist China.  Not sure I would say the Wuhan lockdown was due to the strong willed people.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hate said:

And Western New York, and Ohio, and Central Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, etc.

14 hours ago, rpspeed said:

and California

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

And most of Texas outside of city centers, etc., etc.

And the Heart of Rock 'n Roll, the Heart of Rock 'n Roll is still beating . . . .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He has no idea what point he’s making. He wanted to use the term “lockdown Larry’s” and also pretend like his $70k gross W2 puts him in Titans of Industry threshold that scoffs at people that have the audacity to teach others.

Generally I think you're a dick but this really got me to lol this morning.  +rep

21 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Spain appears to be the closest to a recurring outbreak. I’ll be interested to follow the hospitalizations and deaths associated. It’s been discussed here thoroughly but more testing catches more cases, likely in less dangerous segments of the population. Have to think that first case number spike was in reality much higher. 

Spain's increase appears to be regional.  I believe their initial surge was pretty confined to greater Madrid.  What Spain is seeing now likely isn't happening in and around Madrid.  It's like what we saw first in NY, then with a similar delay in other states/regions.  Spain still has a comparatively low incidence at about 8k cases/1M population.  The US aggregate is at 17k/1M today.  The select states/regions in the US that are well beyond that figure, especially >20k/1M, seem to be showing signs of spontaneous viral burnout with little to no rebound so far.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Spain's increase appears to be regional.  I believe their initial surge was pretty confined to greater Madrid.  What Spain is seeing now likely isn't happening in and around Madrid.  It's like what we saw first in NY, then with a similar delay in other states/regions.  Spain still has a comparatively low incidence at about 8k cases/1M population.  The US aggregate is at 17k/1M today.  The select states/regions in the US that are well beyond that figure, especially >20k/1M, seem to be showing signs of spontaneous viral burnout with little to no rebound so far.

What's the blood type in Spain?

10 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

What's the blood type in Spain?

Yale immunobiologists identified four genetic signatures that are predictive of how you fare with covid infection.  There might be some association between blood type to one or more of the genetic groups.  Seems reasonable to assume that different populations within nations and between nations have variable representative distributions between the four genetic signatures.  

Spoiler

Ed7-jguWsAI_tyn?format=jpg&name=medium

^^^ Clusters 2 and 3 do worse.  Not blood type, but yes, they can look at individual demographics and very early immune bio-marker levels to predict who's going to have more trouble before they ever crash.

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

Speaking of Italy - Dr. Birx says she wishes the US had a lockdown strategy early on, as strict as Italy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Looking back to the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator said Monday she wished the United States had gone into a stricter lockdown.

"I wish that when we went into lockdown (in March), we looked like Italy," Dr. Deborah Birx said Monday. "When Italy locked down, I mean, people weren't allowed out of their houses (without a pass). Americans don't react well to that kind of prohibition."

Edited by atomheartbevo

And for whatever reason, we are not tracking student covid data, which could make for a lot of surprises 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-spreading-schools-no-one-tracking-all-outbreaks-n1236964

Coronavirus cases are already surfacing in K-12 schools that have reopened, but the federal government is not tracking these outbreaks, and some states are not publicly reporting them, making it more difficult to determine how the virus is spreading, experts say.

Scores of students and staff members have been quarantined because of potential COVID-19 exposure in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Indiana, among other states.

But there is no official national tally of school-linked COVID-19 cases, and some states are not reporting how many outbreaks have occurred or how many students and staff members have been infected. Instead, they are leaving it up to local officials to decide which information to make public and which information to share more narrowly with affected students and families. Researchers say the absence of a comprehensive accounting is hampering efforts to identify which safety practices can best prevent cases in schools from spreading.

At least nine states — including Alabama, California and Pennsylvania — are tracking school-linked coronavirus cases and outbreaks, but won’t make this data public, according to an NBC News tally of all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Many of these states cited privacy concerns for withholding the data. Some claimed that coronavirus data on schools was not critical to protecting the broader public, and said their policies might change in the future if there was a clear public health reason for providing such information.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away