Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

33 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Lol you're retarded.  170,000 in four months?  Seriously, you're still on the flu is just as bad bandwagon?  Jackass.

I haven't been on the band wagon of the flu is just as bad, but the flu does kill otherwise heathy people. This virus seems to affect those with age, and underlying  conditions with greater frequency.  Again very sorry for your loss.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I haven't been on the band wagon of the flu is just as bad, but the flu does kill otherwise heathy people. This virus seems to affect those with age, and underlying  conditions with greater frequency.  Again very sorry for your loss.

image.jpeg.aa4188fbc3bf08998db7d92a8d5dcf2b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nice work. Petty asshole point, Onboard.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Given the fact that this virus is worse for those with underlying health conditions, it could have horrible consequences for about half of Americans (albeit obese, smokers, people with susceptible immune systems like cancer patients, the elderly).  The flu?  Yes, it infects a lot of people but not to the extent that this virus does.  Get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

image.jpeg.aa4188fbc3bf08998db7d92a8d5dcf2b.jpeg

It actually does. I’m kind of amazed at how unaware the general public is of how close they are to death anytime they get the flu. Flu can lead to pneumonia, which is almost always followed by sepsis. Once you get sepsis you have about a 50% chance of surviving. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Wow, yeah people die from the flu, people who appear to be otherwise healthy individuals.  Covid is for damn sure bad, but we could easily see a flu strain that runs through populations killing millions, it's happened before, chances are it'll happen again.

If this virus was really killing EVERYBODY in its path we wouldn't be out of lock down, we wouldn't be talking about playing football, sending kids back to school, businesses opening back up. 

So kindly fuck all y'all too.

• Hook 'Em 3

sweden deaths have been effectively 2-3 per day for the last month.  their rise/fall case curve and death curve both lasted approx 4 months

NY rise/fall curves lasted approx 3 months

TX is at about 2.5 months on cases and 1.5 months on deaths

Good news is very welcome.  The only danger is t translating it to relaxed restrictions that had led to reduction in transmission.  The herd immunity theories I have read all look like wishful thinking but if they turn out to be correct that is great.  

We’re due for a little positive news.  I can tell you there is no way we’ll be in the first wave of vaccinations. Too much pressure on the pharmas right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Good news is very welcome.  The only danger is t translating it to relaxed restrictions that had led to reduction in transmission.  

And that's fair.  But I do think that the progress made is big news and should be mentioned, at least in passing, by the national and local news.  They could even frame the progress like "Despite improving indicators, some officials are cautious about re-opening completely for fear of a second wave of a virus."

By not mentioning the progress at all, it makes the news media just seem a part of Team Apocalypse and they are brazenly misleading the public (to me).  I received an email from a family member in another state a couple days ago, who said "Is Texas still reeling from the rona?  I've heard it's bad there and getting worse."  It's journalistic malpractice and no different from the yellow journalism from the turn of the century.

One of the reasons I post the data so often (when not at work) is that 1) I find it fascinating and 2) I wouldn't have known the actual numbers, data, and trends if I just listened to and watched the regular news.  I mean - look at Arizona - hottest of the hot spots about 6 weeks ago and now the outbreak is over.

This should be huge news and...nothing.

Oh well, I'll watch the news tonight and see if the national or local news talk about this...or if they instead choose to report on a couple cases from Sturgis or a few asympomatic positives in schools and colleges.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Watch the school districts.  They actually seem to have their head on straight and respond to their constituents.  There is a nascent protest movement in Eanes, I know, lol, but it’s pushing to get kids back in school.  If it is safe, I am on board. But I’m sure as hell not listening to our state government which is a shit show, or the county, which seems to be orgasming over shut downs.  

What has happened as a result of this pandemic is a serious re-evaluation of who you can trust.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Watch the school districts.  They actually seem to have their head on straight and respond to their constituents.  There is a nascent protest movement in Eanes, I know, lol, but it’s pushing to get kids back in school.  If it is safe, I am on board. But I’m sure as hell not listening to our state government which is a shit show, or the county, which seems to be orgasming over shut downs.  

Every parent is going to make the choice they feel is best for their child; I can say my kids (1st and 4th graders) are going to be back in school as soon as possible.  Distance learning is a joke and the bulk of the research says it's safe for elementary school children.  I can't imagine the frustration that parents of children with special education needs are feeling - I saw this story this morning and was left wondering how in the world are this kids' needs going to be met, even a little bit, through distance learning:

24 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

What has happened as a result of this pandemic is a serious re-evaluation of who you can trust.

Amen.  Especially when you consider that this pandemic has been very, very, very, very, very good for billionaires and the big box stores.  If I were more cynical, I would say that the 0.1% have a personal interest in seeing this pandemic last as long as possible and are trying to influence policy to make sure that happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Agreed on the trust issue. I posted on school thread but this article and the twitter thread following it has several studies looking at school openings globally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Agreed on the trust issue. I posted on school thread but this article and the twitter thread following it has several studies looking at school openings globally. 

And today's article from the Telegraph in the UK - unfortunately behind a paywall, but the headline is no kids hospitalized after schools reopened in June.

• Like 1

Once again - watched NBC Nightly News and nothing about the nationally declining numbers in every key category.  Instead, there was a story about a possible outbreak linked to a soccer league in Connecticut, an outbreak at Georgia Tech, and the messed up tests that the NFL used that gave the Bears some false positives.  It was full on Team Apocalypse & Lockdown.

But absolutely no mention of any trend in the right direction, like this:

Lou Holtz discussing covid, LOL.  He thinks young people think covid is like cancer and an automatic death sentence.

What the fuck?  It's the exact opposite, the young 'uns are the ones partying it up and don't give a shit.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6183841070001#sp=show-clips

If I were him, I'd be in a bunker, because he's got to have multiple underlying issues.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Lou Holtz discussing covid, LOL.  He thinks young people think covid is like cancer and an automatic death sentence.

What the fuck?  It's the exact opposite, the young 'uns are the ones partying it up and don't give a shit.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6183841070001#sp=show-clips

If I were him, I'd be in a bunker, because he's got to have multiple underlying issues.

No way Lou Holtz gets Covid19.  There isn't enough viral load in all of America to overcome the amount of fluid he expels with every word....little fuckers would never have a chance to get in to anything.

• Haha 2

Once again - watched NBC Nightly News and nothing about the nationally declining numbers in every key category.  Instead, there was a story about a possible outbreak linked to a soccer league in Connecticut, an outbreak at Georgia Tech, and the messed up tests that the NFL used that gave the Bears some false positives.  It was full on Team Apocalypse & Lockdown.
But absolutely no mention of any trend in the right direction, like this:

StOp PoStInG sO mAnY tWeEts
  • Hook 'Em 1

Are we really still discussing whether children can pass COVID to adults?

The good news with this disease is that when children get it, especially younger ones, it’s rarely severe. That is also the catastrophic news: asymptomatic carriers is a dick punch because they walk around with it and give it to others especially when they are carefree and in close quarters together.

The concern is that 50million children will go to school, mingle, and every single day risk giving it to friends, staff, and family members.

I’m not at all optimistic about in-person school, because people are trying to force feed normality when extraordinary efforts, uniformity, discipline, and sacrifice should be part of the planning.

• Like 1

Well crap, this reinfection looks legit. We’ll see if this plays out on a widespread scale however. I figured it would take a few months to start seeing true second infections. Good news is that the patient is asymptomatic.

Hong Kong reports first coronavirus reinfection

The information technology worker didn’t develop any symptoms from his second infection, which might indicate any “subsequent infections may be milder,” the researchers said.”

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Well crap, this reinfection looks legit. We’ll see if this plays out on a widespread scale however. I figured it would take a few months to start seeing true second infections. Good news is that the patient is asymptomatic.

Hong Kong reports first coronavirus reinfection

The information technology worker didn’t develop any symptoms from his second infection, which might indicate any “subsequent infections may be milder,” the researchers said.”

Infected with a second strain.  This sounds really fucking fun. 

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Are we really still discussing whether children can pass COVID to adults?

The good news with this disease is that when children get it, especially younger ones, it’s rarely severe. That is also the catastrophic news: asymptomatic carriers is a dick punch because they walk around with it and give it to others especially when they are carefree and in close quarters together.

The concern is that 50million children will go to school, mingle, and every single day risk giving it to friends, staff, and family members.

I’m not at all optimistic about in-person school, because people are trying to force feed normality when extraordinary efforts, uniformity, discipline, and sacrifice should be part of the planning.

My post above on this page has thread with info from multiples that suggest young children rarely spread Covid.  

My post above on this page has thread with info from multiples that suggest young children rarely spread Covid.  

Its already been confirmed that children can spread it and can also link to studies that show how asymptomatic children have high loads of Covid. If you know no cases where children have spread it to each other, caught it, tested positive, etc, then you need to broaden your research.

http:// https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/08/20/children-covid-19-transmission

The unknown is how much it will spread as children become much more mobile in schools. My prediction is by November 1, schools will be shut down at Spring levels in the US. I hope Im wrong.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away