Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He was caught really early in the process.  That will have a huge impact on his treatment/outcome.

One article said Hope Hicks was tested as part of the routine testing on Wednesday morning, and then felt bad later and tested positive that night.  Was he a part of that routine testing on Wednesday morning?  If so, he tested negative then, then positive 36 hours later, so it was caught really fast.

Ah so all the yelling and hand-wringing we did on here about money for more and faster tests worked out for him?   I’m glad we could help out.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the previous 72-hours to his testing positive,

• Tuesday: Debate prep and then the debate.
  • Wednesday: Hope Hicks tested negative in the morning, had some symptoms later on, tested positive in the evening (but apparently no results until Thursday).
  • Wednesday: POTUS flew out to a fundraiser in Minnesota, then to a rally in Duluth
  • Thursday: POTUS was not seen in photos/videos with masks, and "unnamed officials" said he didn't wear a mask at all.  He was seen on Marine One with his staff/campaign folks, including Hicks.
  • Thursday: POTUS attended a fundraising event and photo op at his golf club in New Jersey.   
  • Thursday Evening: Hicks was announced as being positive.
  • Announced POTUS positive test this morning/after midnight.

That's going to suck for anybody doing contact tracing.

The ND president who was at the Barrett announcement tested positive.... As did Utah Senator Mike Lee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Notre Dame President tested positive, announced today

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/notre-dame-president-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/2348232/

On September 29th, he apologized for not wearing a mask around the White House

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-donald-trump-amy-coney-barrett-courts-south-bend-7ad67c78ae0a33273f0536e3673fc012

The University of Notre Dame’s president has issued an apology for not wearing a mask at a White House event after pictures surfaced online of him shaking hands and sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with people without one.

Rev. John I. Jenkins attended the Rose Garden ceremony Saturday for Judge Amy Coney Barrett, President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee. Jenkins’ letter Monday explained he was there because Barrett is a Notre Dame alumna and law professor. He also pointed out that upon arrival, he and other guests received rapid-response COVID-19 tests, the South Bend Tribune reported.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So these rapid-response tests that all of these people around Trump took, were they giving false negatives, or was it just a matter of timing?  I'm leaning towards timing.

We had someone at work (essentially) have the same deal. Tested negative on Friday when his kid tested positive retested on Monday (positive). Probably timing but I'd love for one of the Surly Doc's to chime in.

From what I understood, there are no false negatives. The lady that tested my wife a few weeks ago stated that if it is negative then you do not have the virus. She said there were false positives of course, but no false negatives.

Just now, Hate said:

From what I understood, there are no false negatives. The lady that tested my wife a few weeks ago stated that if it is negative then you do not have the virus. She said there were false positives of course, but no false negatives.

That kind of depends on what your definition of a "false negative" would be. Test results depend on both test sensitivity and viral loads. So if the test isn't particularly sensitive, or you've been recently infected and the viral load is still low, you can take a test and it would show up as "negative" but you might have it. You can't assume that a negative test is conclusive proof you do not have it. Which, again, is why it would have been pretty fucking helpful to have a large supply of cheap, sensitive tests so that people could test themselves a few times a week to detect infection early, quarantine, and mitigate the spread. 

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So these rapid-response tests that all of these people around Trump took, were they giving false negatives, or was it just a matter of timing?  I'm leaning towards timing.

There's a third option that involves involved parties being full of shit about their testing policies and procedures #NoCR

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anybody know what the definition of a super spreader is?

Somebody in Trump's inner circle was possibly spreading it.  More in the next post.

Utahns? So that's what they call them...

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We had someone at work (essentially) have the same deal. Tested negative on Friday when his kid tested positive retested on Monday (positive). Probably timing but I'd love for one of the Surly Doc's to chime in.

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

So it's a matter of timing/what @irishtexan  said - when they did the tests, the viral loads were still too low.

Which begs the question - how did it spread so quickly and apparently undetected, given how often that group was testing.

• President of Notre Dame, who was with Trump on Saturday at the Supreme Court nomination thing.
  • Sen. Mike Lee - also with Trump on Saturday at the same thing.
  • GOP Committee Chair, who was around all of these people over the weekend.
  • Hope Hicks, who was around a lot of people over the weekend and traveled with everybody for the debate  (Trump said she was around a bunch of military and cops who wanted to hug/kiss her).
  • Trump/Melania.

That's a pretty hefty spreading event, for a group of people who were supposedly being regularly tested.

I love spreadsheets and stuff, and trying to figure out who was "patient zero" for a spreader event,  but I'm guessing they all caught it on Saturday, but the tests weren't able to pick it up until Wednesday/Thursday.

spacer.png

The Notre Dame President apologizing a few days ago for not wearing a mask is interesting.

Edit: Just saw where they said nobody was wearing a mask during their debate prep, but if that was Monday/Tuesday, that seems too soon.

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, Druggist said:

If you listen to the people who think HCQ works, it lessens the severity of the infection.  It doesn’t keep you from getting it.  If he has a mild case and gets better quickly, he will probably tout its effectiveness.

I know a hospital in Austin metro that gives it to every patient admitted with COVID

It depends on your definition of a false negative. From the laboratory standpoint, the sensitivity and specificity of the qPCR assays is ~99%. That does not take into account sampling errors, transport media failures, lab accidents, etc.
  • Like 1

Per our prior discussion we now know what the President is taking per a press release from his Dr. 

Interestingly, he's taking a Regeneron drug currently in trials + Zinc, Vitamin D, Famotidine (i.e., Pepcid), Melatonin and Aspirin.

I'm shocked, just shocked, he's not taking HCQ

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

President is about to be flown to Walter Reed on Marine One

I saw earlier that he had to bow out of a call and Pence took over, but figured since it was a call about senior citizens and covid, that the image just looked bad.  Now they are saying he couldn't physically do it, that he was too fatigued.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen it reported that Hicks has worse symptoms - she has cough, fever, messed up sense of smell.  Trump only has a cough and fever, and he's apparently lagging Melania.

Maybe Hope is a super spreader

She probably just caught a huge viral load when Donny farted in her face while she was ironing  his pants.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I saw earlier that he had to bow out of a call and Pence took over, but figured since it was a call about senior citizens and covid, that the image just looked bad.  Now they are saying he couldn't physically do it, that he was too fatigued.

spacer.png

Seemed to have walked from Marine 1 to the SUV pretty easily. 

co worker had it fairly bad(2 weeks) and said the worst part for him was the dehydration which made him very tired.  he did have the chest pains/fever initially. they did xray and said he had "covid" lungs.  they gave him the oxygen monitor, only told him to take tylenol for the fever and sent him home. he drank water and gatorade like crazy.  

If trump is getting dehydrated they may want to give him IV's and monitor him.

Sounding like the outbreak came from the big presser/announcement on Saturday.

3-4 journalists from the WH pool that attended the Saturday gathering, and have tested positive, as well as a low-level WH staffer.

That's at least 11 people who were at that Saturday shindig, who have come down with it.

Could this be that Houston strain, that's super easy to spread, but less lethal?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away