Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

At this point, I can only assume they all drank from the same cup of Flavor Aid.  918 Americans died at Jonestown.  I can only assume given the flippant attitude towards mitigation and isolation, that this event will likely multiply out and kill at least that many Americans, maybe more.  Plus, just like Jonestown...a sitting U.S. Congressman will likely die as a result of the event.  

9 months in, the smartest people in the world...still don't fucking get it.  It's now, hyperbole aside, literally impossible my country is this stupid.   

If only we had a Center of some sort.  Like for diseases.  And their job would be to control these diseases through broadcasting different things we could do or not do to avoid transmission/catching of a certain disease.  And this Center, I dunno.  We could call like a Center for Disease Control.  And they would help us mitigate diseases and we could listen to them sometimes.  I dunno, it's a pipe dream.  Don't me started on my other idea for a National Institute of Health.  I mean, admittedly, I stole it from this really rich, educated country called Somalia.  That yeah, literally has one and we apparently don't.  

Did the fucking campaign look at that Kiefer Sutherland show "Designated Survivor", and think "Hey, what if we did that in real life...you know...wipe out most of our own government?  But not like a terrorist attack or anything, just a voluntarily stupid event in the Rose Garden.  I think Kal Penn is available to produce."  

I always heard that the reason you never hear jokes about Jonestown is because the punchline is too long.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 zip codes in NYC will be shut back down. These all have positivity rates in excess of 3%. They represent 25-30% of the new NYC cases, but only 9% of the population. All are in Queens and Brooklyn and have large Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish populations. There are another 11 zip codes being monitored.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

9 zip codes in NYC will be shut back down. These all have positivity rates in excess of 3%. They represent 25-30% of the new NYC cases, but only 9% of the population. All are in Queens and Brooklyn and have large Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish populations. There are another 11 zip codes being monitored.

positivity rate is so stupid in terms of measurement. If only sick folks go to get tested rate goes up, more healthy people get tested, rate goes down. They should be focused on Cases per 100,000 or hospitalizations.

Pos Rate is not the metric to hang your hat on

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Pos rep for continuing to provide objective measures.

Now, if we're currently being treated for Covid-19...am I to understand that effectively organizing a drive-by birthday parade...that's the best thing we can do right?  Is get a bunch of people in vehicles with us to cruise up and down streets?  That kinda close, intra-vehicular confinement...if it's not an emergency, but rather a type of "fun event"...that's the best thing to do right?  

I railed the shit out of those dumbfuck Lake Travis kids for that super-spreader event back in June/July.  And everybody joined in at their stupidity.  But if only had the good sense to do a drive-by parade instead...that woulda been okay.  I'm starting to see how this virus works.

Bullshit aside, thank you and rep to BrazilHorn for good data and good commentary.  

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Aren’t the Hasidic Jews pretty much anti-mask? And anti-government or rule of law other than God? 

or am I generalizing 

positivity rate is so stupid in terms of measurement. If only sick folks go to get tested rate goes up, more healthy people get tested, rate goes down. They should be focused on Cases per 100,000 or hospitalizations.

Yep. It's mind blowing that we have powerful people of all political leanings relying on it.

I guess it's not surprising, but it is too.

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too.

Here is the 7 day average of new cases per 100k.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/nyregion/new-york-city-coronavirus-cases.html

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So it looks like based on last 7 days there are 4 parts of Brooklyn & 1 of Queens that may warrant a looking at, with the highest having a 7 day run of 238 cases per 100,000. Not to me a "shutting down" stage but certainly I'd ensure mask usage, enforce gatherings etc

15 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They're certainly anti-vax

Back during the measles epidemic that spread through their community, I was reading a little about it. As a whole, families had not been against vaccines but there was a concentrated targeted effort by some anti vax activists and once it took hold was hard to dislodge. Groups that have their own non traditional networks for relaying info are sometimes susceptible to this. 

It was a hot mess. 

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

17 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't even think a normalized cases view (per capita, per 1K, per 1M, etc.) is worthwhile.  More people get tested, more cases we'll show, regardless of whether or not it's actually impacting the community.

Hospital/ICU/Deaths are really the only way to measure the community impact of this.  I understand they're lagging metrics, and authorities are trying to get out ahead of the lag, but they're using inappropriate data to do so.  GI=GO.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't even think a normalized cases view (per capita, per 1K, per 1M, etc.) is worthwhile.  More people get tested, more cases we'll show, regardless of whether or not it's actually impacting the community.

Hospital/ICU/Deaths are really the only way to measure the community impact of this.  I understand they're lagging metrics, and authorities are trying to get out ahead of the lag, but they're using inappropriate data to do so.  GI=GO.

don't disagree with this at all actually, if you are going to count cases actually count cases vs population instead of some BS positivity rate that is completely skewed by public policy

The problem with using the hospitalizations count is that “of course we’re showing more hospitalizations because we have more hospitals.”  Statements are bound to arise and throttle down our hospital capabilities.  

On 10/3/2020 at 2:21 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So the Rose Garden/Debate Prep outbreak has now involved at least 23 confirmed cases directly.  There is a little confusion, because the Cleveland Clinic had 11 test positive, that were involved with the debate, both staffers and journalists, but they did not name them, and they are thought to be included in the numbers below.

1. Trump
  2. Melania
  3. Notre Dame President Rev. John Jenkins
  4. Senator Mike Lee
  5. Senator Thom Tillis
  6. Senator Ron Johnson
  7. Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel
  8. Hope Hicks
  9. Kellyanne Conway
  10. Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien
  11. Trump debate prep team member Jason Miller
  12. Low-level White House staffer
  13. White House Press Pool Journalist 
  14. White House Press Pool Journalist 
  15. White House Press Pool Journalist 
  16. Chris Christie 
  17. The 2020 UT Longhorns football team.
  18. 5-7 Other staffers involved with the debate prep

White House press secretary - positive.

And this stupid bitch was maskless around the White House reporters yesterday.  The nerve of these people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Careful, no CR. 
we can’t talk about the flagrant stupidity and wanton disregard for human life being exhibited every fucking day by a handful of people.  how in the fuck do you drum up sympathy and support doing shit like this?   This is them smearing shit on people’s faces and then clamoring for thoughts and prayers because they have diarrhea. 

This thread has been 10 months of calling out the moronic reality of super spreading behavior.  And rightfully so.  Irresponsible people acting like fucking morons has consequences.  This is not a college beer pong party, this is the fate of our nation.  

Dealers choice on which fuckstick announces on Tuesday they tested positive.  Play selfish games, win selfish viruses.  

Edited by Lobo

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

White House press secretary - positive.

And this stupid bitch was maskless around the White House reporters yesterday.  The nerve of these people. 

Could you ask to unban yourself from the cloakroom so you can go in there and participate?  I'd rather not read your hysterical posts on every other board on this god forsaken website.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Please don't CR this up, since this is one of the few super spreader events that's been documented so thoroughly (and visually), and where almost everybody involved is getting tested, even if there are no symptoms.    This is not some abstract (for most of us) event like the choir super spreader event in Washington state, where we didn't see photos/videos of who everything was laid out, and many of the staffers involved are being tested daily.

Anyways, the Rose Garden event was over a week ago, almost 10 days ago on a Saturday.  The debate was three days later, and the guestimations I've seen is that the spreader(s) were at both events, and the debate infections (those folks at the debate prep, but not the Rose Garden party) were not from somebody who caught it on that Saturday, because it would have been awfully soon to be spreading after being exposed (less than 72 hours).

So for the math/medical nerds out there, the White House press secretary and her assistants all popping negative this morning,  (or last night), and the body man ( positive two days ago):

1. Did they catch it at the Rose Garden and finally test positive around 9 days later?  
  2. Or did they catch it at the debate prep - it's doubtful those three would have all been directly involved since it's a very limited amount of folks doing campaign debate prep, (and same issue above, all three younger folks popping positive at the same time almost a week later seems odd).
  3. Or did they catch it as part of a second wave, from somebody who caught it at the Rose Garden over a week ago?  

Seems highly unlikely that three younger folks (four if you count the body man) would finally test positive within 24-48 hours of each other, either 6 or 9 days later.

I will try to get the rest of the positive test dates below, I know somebody has to have posted it somewhere, but most of the folks below tested positive on Friday/Saturday, unless otherwise noted.

1. POTUS (Tested positive last Thursday)
  2. FLOTUS (Tested positive last Thursday)
  4. Senator Mike Lee
  5. Senator Thom Tillis
  6. Senator Ron Johnson
  8. Hope Hicks (Tested positive last Wednesday)
  9. Kellyanne Conway
  16. Chris Christie 
  17. Tom Herman (who was on experimental drugs to combat covid, that impaired his judgement)
  18. 5-7 Other staffers involved with the debate prep
  19. Nicholas Luna, personal assistant to POTUS (the fabled "body man" you hear about) (Tested positive Saturday)
  20. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany (Tested positive this morning)
  21. White House press secretary assistant Chad Gilmartin(Tested positive this morning)
  22. White House press secretary assistant Karoline Leavitt(Tested positive this morning)
Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Could you ask to unban yourself from the cloakroom so you can go in there and participate?  I'd rather not read your hysterical posts on every other board on this god forsaken website.  

Obsessed much? Does reading the news make you sad? 

I'd say the same thing if some random Karen in Dallas was walking around speaking to people without a mask while all her coworkers and boss were testing positive.  

You know why its still spreading in the US? Because people, political or the average moron citizen, still can't get their head around wearing a mask.  Especially when they've been at events where multiple positives roll in on a daily basis. 

Americans have no regard for anyone but themselves.  I'm sure you're exactly the same.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Obsessed much?  Does reading the news make you sad? 

I'd say the same thing if some random Karen in Dallas was walking around speaking to people without a mask while all her coworkers and boss were testing positive.  

You know why its still spreading in the US? Because people, political or the average moron citizen, still can't get their head around wearing a mask.  Especially when they've been at events where multiple positives roll in on a daily basis. 

Americans have no regard for anyone but themselves.  I'm sure you're exactly the same.  

So, no?  You won't unban yourself?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

The problem with using the hospitalizations count is that “of course we’re showing more hospitalizations because we have more hospitals.”  Statements are bound to arise and throttle down our hospital capabilities.  

I'm more worried about Hospitalization utilization - therefore we need to build more hospitals
I am also worried about it getting into the older (70+) generation, nursing homes, etc - you know like congress, early dinner buffets, and  @Armybrats grandkids

1. POTUS (Tested positive last Thursday)
  2. FLOTUS (Tested positive last Thursday)
  4. Senator Mike Lee
  5. Senator Thom Tillis
  6. Senator Ron Johnson
  8. Hope Hicks (Tested positive last Wednesday)
  9. Kellyanne Conway
  16. Chris Christie 
  17. Staffer involved with debate prep
  18. Staffer involved with debate prep
  19. Staffer involved with debate prep
  20. Staffer involved with debate prep
  21. Staffer involved with debate prep
  22. Tom Herman (on experimental drugs to combat covid, that impaired his judgement)
  23. Nicholas Luna, personal assistant to POTUS (the fabled "body man" you hear about) (Tested positive Saturday)
  24. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany (Tested positive this morning)
  25. White House press secretary assistant Chad Gilmartin(Tested positive this morning)
  26. White House press secretary assistant Karoline Leavitt(Tested positive this morning)
  27. White House residence staff member (housekeeping, third floor, no direct contact with POTUS/FLOTUS)
  28. White House residence staff member (housekeeping, third floor, no direct contact with POTUS/FLOTUS)

Edit: The latest are housekeepers who had no direct contact with the Rose Garden party or the debate prep.

There maybe a few more - more staffers/assistants, and some journalists whose results haven't been released, or who are being double-counted, but like I said, math/medical nerds, we are now into the second wave of infected, right?

Edited by atomheartbevo

I made a huge mistake Saturday morning.  I drove out to the Wimberley Market Days.  Far too many people without masks!  Not just unused masks around their necks, but no sign of a mask at all.  The entrances said "Masks Mandatory", but you could tell the non-mask people, science deniers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

35 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I made a huge mistake Saturday morning.  I drove out to the Wimberley Market Days.  Far too many people without masks!  Not just unused masks around their necks, but no sign of a mask at all.  The entrances said "Masks Mandatory", but you could tell the non-mask people, science deniers, you know, Trump supporters.

Politics and you just admitted you missed the Texas game to go shop for chotchkies amongst a bunch of old people. I don't neg but you deserve it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

(Got home for the kickoff)

You should be negged for that fail alone.

Your time would have been better spent hanging out and having a long conversation with the gal with the booth selling throw pillows with cute sayings on them (I presume there was such a booth -- there always is).

6 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I realized that after the fact and reported it to management.  I couldn't edit.  I asked them to change "Trump Supporters" to "morons".  Sorry for the mistake.

(Got home for the kickoff)

I gave you the neg because you deserved it.  Then, you go find my post in the picky eater thread and neg me.  Take the neg, pussy.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away