Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

New Jersey had a big day over day jump in both real (970 more new cases today than yesterday (3335 vs 4305)) and relative (29% jump) terms with positive cases. However, their new daily deaths toll went down by 40%. 
Louisiana had the opposite phenomenon. 58% fewer new cases, day over day. 2726 vs 1147 today. However, they went from 37 to 60 new deaths, day over day, for a 62% jump. 
You can't really determine jack shit from thinking about this day over day, but fuck it, seems like there's time to spare.

I look forward to it. After paying attention to these for like 3 or 4 straight days, you really know what states are struggling (Michigan) and which states are doing ok

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Great, I'm male, have a chronic lung condition, and I'm old.  If I start running a fever I'm just going to go out in the garage, crank up the generator, and settle into a lawn chair with a tall glass of bourbon.  Least I can do is to save a ventilator for someone with a chance

Prudent. We'll give you a proper funeral.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s what we figured, it just doesn’t jibe with the posters saying there’s stock on amazon right now.  I guess my point was to warn that even ordering them for those far off delivery dates won’t ensure you get them.

aren't they talking about just basic masks(disposable)

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We're locking down entire states with a couple hundred confirmed cases.  Things spiral quickly I get it, but at some point is it too fast.

Can you be more specific?  Seriously, I can't think of a single state that was "locking down" that was too soon.  It's a pay now or pay later type of thing....  Has any state or country been able to just ignore the virus and be unaffected?   

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wouldn't pay that tuition.  That's ridiculous.  My wife teaches at a church-based preschool and the most they've done is implore parents to continue to pay tuition "if they can".  Right now, base paychecks (which don't include significant bumps for things like late stay and penalties for late child pickup) are flowing, but I don't think that's gonna last for even another pay cycle.

Extra bonus:  since it's a 501c3, employees don't qualify for unemployment.

Same situation. Unclear if the teachers can get Federal unemployment since it was supposed to be looser than state rules, but school leader is making parents feel guilty for not paying and said you will not be guaranteed a spot if you choose to return after they re-open. Great church preschool and teachers, just an unfortunate situation. It’s shaping up like another pay cycle or two and the teachers will get let go, and the parents will be blamed for miserly not dropping $1200/mo/kid without service like they aren’t financially impacted themselves. 

26 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Seriously, I have some Home Depot brand sanding masks with the little metal part you bend to fit over your nose, but they're so old the rubber band just snaps when you pull on it slightly. They are a lot more than a decade old - I'd guess from about 2001-02.

Do they go bad?  Are these better than surgical masks?  They don't say anything on the package about n95 or n anything. 

I think we're so far gone for hoping to get n95s it's not even funny and am going to just leave those to the first responder community. I'm just trying to find something better than a gotdamn jerryrigged one made of paper towels, rubber bands, and fucking staples.

47 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This is the earliest I could find for medical masks.

$9.88
+ $5.99 shipping
Arrives: April 24 - May 15

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084M7M2D1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered this for the meantime:

$19.99
 & FREE Returns 
FREE delivery: April 15 - 16 Details

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0865XBYSD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Until then, DYI.

My problem with all of the masks you can buy online, is that are made in China. I am assuming most of these masks have been made in the last few months, or, are being manufactured as we speak. I wouldn't trust the Chinese to not have CO-VID positive workers on the assembly line. It sure would suck to be virus free and end up getting it from a contaminated mask designed to protect you.

CHIEF

Just now, bolverk said:

I think we're so far gone for hoping to get n95s it's not even funny and am going to just leave those to the first responder community. I'm just trying to find something better than a gotdamn jerryrigged one made of paper towels, rubber bands, and fucking staples.

You have staples?! Lucky man. 

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Can you be more specific?  Seriously, I can't think of a single state that was "locking down" that was too soon.  It's a pay now or pay later type of thing....  Has any state or country been able to just ignore the virus and be unaffected?   

I'm gonna go with Louisiana but that depends on your definition of unaffected.

Sweden is rollin the dice as the control for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How are you reaching the conclusion that there is such a thing as "too fast?" It'd be one thing if we had a great system of testing, contact tracing, and isolation of infected individuals, then we could totally rely on that to keep the epidemic at bay. But, since we don't have that, shutdown is pretty much our only viable option. 

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

I hate to speak for him, but I THINK what he's getting at, is that from an overall national risk-utility perspective, we actually want at least SOME people within every somewhat isolated population to get it.  Otherwise, if you have a completely uninfected, isolated population, it's simply going to spread to them the moment they come out of quarantine.  So to manage the curve but keep it flat enough, there's a target or ideal number of people within such a community, that is at least one, and likely >1.  So if we locked down a community TOO early, they'll never even join the curve at all, until after the national "all clear" is signaled.

I don't personally think that's going to be an issue though.  I think it is widespread enough that there's not really a danger of that.

And if that's NOT what he's getting at, well then, I have no idea.

Teddy Roosevelt Captain was relieved of duty. I kind of think he was an idiot even if his bosses were morons.  

Stay at home extended in Italy to May 16. Six more weeks minimum. Gonna be massive, countrywide riots before that date.

Edited by Thetexashammer

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Dust masks with replaceable n95 filters still pop up on amazon multiple times per day. But they go fast, so if you find them you have to buy immediately. 

• Fuck You 1

My problem with all of the masks you can buy online, is that are made in China. I am assuming most of these masks have been made in the last few months, or, are being manufactured as we speak. I wouldn't trust the Chinese to not have CO-VID positive workers on the assembly line. It sure would suck to be virus free and end up getting it from a contaminated mask designed to protect you.
CHIEF

Nuke it in the microwave
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Lol thats where my mind went too. It's not like the shitty surgical masks are remotely air tight. Carefully home made masks will probably out perform them and contain infinitely less covid. 

Hot off the presses, new Dallas hospitalization data.   https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/DCHHS COVID19_Summary_040320_fin.pdf

I'm a little more concerned about accuracy based on that Houston article earlier that indicated lots of hospitalized cases they are confident is Covid haven't been confirmed, but this is the best we have.   Will be really interesting to see where the numbers go next week.  Here is data since I've been tracking.

Total Hospital Admissions

3/24:  61

3/27: 111 

3/31:  192 

4/3:  290 

Total ICU Admissions

3/24:  21

3/27: 40 

3/31:  59 

4/3:  89 

Total Vents

3/24:  9

3/27: 23 

3/31: 42 

4/3: 56 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I hate to speak for him, but I THINK what he's getting at, is that from an overall national risk-utility perspective, we actually want at least SOME people within every somewhat isolated population to get it.  Otherwise, if you have a completely uninfected, isolated population, it's simply going to spread to them the moment they come out of quarantine.  So to manage the curve but keep it flat enough, there's a target or ideal number of people within such a community, that is at least one, and likely >1.  So if we locked down a community TOO early, they'll never even join the curve at all, until after the national "all clear" is signaled.

I don't personally think that's going to be an issue though.  I think it is widespread enough that there's not really a danger of that.

And if that's NOT what he's getting at, well then, I have no idea.

utee94 didn't better at explaining what I'm asking. Dahobbs made great point of because testing is so behind we really have no choice. And I for one am adhering to the stay at home completely and don't see issue with it... right now. But under the current strategy, which could very well be ideal from a healthcare system standpoint, it would easily mean we are looking at rolling into Christmas right where we are right now with a vaccine being the only exit point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Nice, that's pretty much what I was thinking of. I remembered that I have a mask for running in cold weather and am going to place a folded papertowel inside. That's good enough for me.

I’ve got one of those neoprene 1/2 face ski masks that I’m going to put a Folded blue shop towel on the inside over the nose/mouth areas.  Should do the trick.  

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Nuke it in the microwave

You can actually put them in the oven on low heat (like 180) for 30 mins, and that takes care of it.  Also, you can just steam them for 10 mins, then let them dry.  Although the guidance on using the oven says "not  your home oven" -- I think that's to avoid cross contamination of the oven.  I would think that cranking it up to 350 after you pull the masks out should cover that concern.

• Like 2

Hot off the presses, new Dallas hospitalization data.   https://www.dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/hhs/2019-nCoV/DCHHS COVID19_Summary_040320_fin.pdf
I'm a little more concerned about accuracy based on that Houston article earlier that indicated lots of hospitalized cases they are confident is Covid haven't been confirmed, but this is the best we have.   Will be really interesting to see where the numbers go next week.  Here is data since I've been tracking.
Total Hospital Admissions
3/24:  61
3/27: 111 
3/31:  192 
4/3:  290 

Total ICU Admissions
3/24:  21
3/27: 40 
3/31:  59 
4/3:  89 

Total Vents
3/24:  9
3/27: 23 
3/31: 42 
4/3: 56 

I’d also like to see the discharge numbers.

It's crazy, I listened to our bank president walk the employees through a training module about how to now spot people trying to rob the bank versus old people just coming in for regular banking.  What a fucking weird time.  I'm scared to make vice president, but I must do it for the people. 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is it over? What’d he say? We’re kicking this things ass

A clear explanation of where things are in the state, using actual facts and figures. Didn't sugarcoat things. Acknowledged how unpleasant things are and how bad things could get, but also noted what's been done, why it's been done, and what future contingency plans look like. 

Several friends of mine who are unrepentant Republicans have been duly impressed with how he's handling it. 

Just now, Born to Run said:
20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Nuke it in the microwave

Most have a metal nose peices so that's no bueno. I have two and spray them down with Everclear and let dry. I've only been out roughly once a week.

"They say not to put metal objects in the microwave.   And they're right."

-Steven Wright

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Nuke it in the microwave

Most have a metal nose peices so that's no bueno. I have two and spray them down with Everclear and let dry. I've only been out roughly once a week.

Yeah, the nose pieces make microwave unworkable for many.  And alcohol actually degrades them.  Steam them or dry heat in a regular oven seems to be the way to go.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

utee94 didn't better at explaining what I'm asking. Dahobbs made great point of because testing is so behind we really have no choice. And I for one am adhering to the stay at home completely and don't see issue with it... right now. But under the current strategy, which could very well be ideal from a healthcare system standpoint, it would easily mean we are looking at rolling into Christmas right where we are right now with a vaccine being the only exit point.

The numbers being reported are people exposed 10 days ago.  Unmitigated, this number will grow 20-fold in 10 days, so you can't really take the wait-and-see approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

It was dumb if you consider acting selfless dumb.

The man sunk his career for the welfare of his sailors, it was the honorable thing to do.

How did he help his sailors? I'm saying I don't think he did anything except sink himself. Now someone who doesn't care is in charge. And he embarrassed the Navy.

Edited by Thetexashammer

3 hours ago, Hate said:

So I guess we are all going to wear masks in public going forward which is just fine with me. Where are we supposed to get the masks?

In this kitchen, step back and watch the chef cook
My corner told me, "Counter jabs with a left hook"
And give me mine, you don't want to see my stress look
I drive through with the mask, lookin' like Westbrook

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm sure they're looking into lots of things. Doesn't change reality.
This. They're not going to take on the risk. You'd have to be able to test the whole operation, on demand with quick turnaround results, every game day at least. To say nothing about the risk in practice and what have you.

That’s great and all but anyone can get it walking to and from the stadium, at a restaurant after the game, stopping at a convenience store the next day.  At some point unless we are all still quarantined there are too many variables and we need to move on with life with the inherent risks of infection.  By September we will have better known treatments, antibody tests, and I’m guessing (just my opinion) a totally different environment around this issue.  We still will need to take it seriously of course but at some point people will get fed up with overwhelming precaution and decide to live life and deal with the new risks going forward.  

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

It was dumb if you consider acting selfless dumb.

The man sunk his career for the welfare of his sailors, it was the honorable thing to do.

Which is why he isn't going to be fired from the Navy. He'll only be reassigned. The military is walking a fine line to maintain order and optics, simultaneously

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/videos-show-sailors-cheering-navy-captain-relieved-command-after-raising-n1175946

"I have no doubt in my mind that Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well-being of his crew," Modly said. "Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised the alarm of the families of our sailors and Marines with no plans to address those concerns."

The decision, which Modly said was his own, was met with backlash, including from Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden, who said the Navy's acting secretary "shot the messenger — a commanding officer who was faithful to both his national security mission and his duty to care for his sailors, and who rightly focused attention on a broader concern about how to maintain military readiness during this pandemic."

Modly told Reuters on Friday an investigation would determine if Crozier should face disciplinary action.

"He'll get reassigned, he's not thrown out of the Navy," Modly said.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away