Golden Breeder

Hey guys, 

im finally ready to bring a dog into the family. Buying a house, have a lady, both 31 years old.... looking for goldens as I grew up with them. Shooting for darling summer does anyone have a connect?

What’s darling summer?

On 1/24/2020 at 9:33 AM, Tylerocks said:

Adopt

I was waiting for this response.  Why do people feel the need to always jump in and tell others what to do?  

Many people want certain breeds (like Goldens) because they fit their lifestyle and are good family dogs.  Not everyone wants a pit mix.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I was waiting for this response.  Why do people feel the need to always jump in and tell others what to do?  

Many people want certain breeds (like Goldens) because they fit their lifestyle and are good family dogs.  Not everyone wants a pit mix.

You can adopt a Golden.  There are breed specific rescues you can use.

https://www.goldenretrievers.org/

https://www.grr-tx.com/

https://gbgrr.org/about/

I think the reason people jump in, at least the reason I jumped in, was to present it as an option.  Texas has a huge overpopulation/homeless dog problem.  Houston alone has an estimated 1M homeless pets.  When those dogs are taken to high kill shelters, 85% are euthanized.

Obviously the OP can do whatever he wants and that's fine.  Hell, my first dog was a pure-bred lab from a friend's champion bloodline.

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed. People get pissed, but in my experience what you pay for is the medical history of the bloodline/breed. Being able to track the medical history of generations of the breed is a good thing. 

what you spend up front is peanuts compared to the first surgery you will pay for out of pocket. 

knock on wood as this has been my experience over 20yrs and a few dogs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agreed. People get pissed, but in my experience what you pay for is the medical history of the bloodline/breed. Being able to track the medical history of generations of the breed is a good thing. 

what you spend up front is peanuts compared to the first surgery you will pay for out of pocket. 

knock on wood as this has been my experience over 20yrs and a few dogs. 

Yep.  A big part of finding a good breeder is finding one that has done all the health testing on their dogs for hips, heart, elbows, in addition to breed specific testing.  That's especially important for large breeds like Goldens that can have a lot of health issues.

We gave adopting/rescuing a golden a fair try but those people don't make it easy. The pound is great if you want a pit bull mix of some kind - not for our family though. The rescue groups are psychos about who is "worthy" of receiving their dogs (if they have any to begin with - very little supply). One wanted a financial statement lolnope. A buddy tried to adopt a lab and they DQ'd him instantly because his home had a doggy door, which in their opinion, was a form of neglect since you need to be attentive to the dog's needs 100% of the time. What?

Spend a day a day or two trying to adopt, sure, but don't feel guilty when you ultimately get a dog from a breeder. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Clay said:

We gave adopting/rescuing a golden a fair try but those people don't make it easy. The pound is great if you want a pit bull mix of some kind - not for our family though. The rescue groups are psychos about who is "worthy" of receiving their dogs (if they have any to begin with - very little supply). One wanted a financial statement lolnope. A buddy tried to adopt a lab and they DQ'd him instantly because his home had a doggy door, which in their opinion, was a form of neglect since you need to be attentive to the dog's needs 100% of the time. What?

Spend a day a day or two trying to adopt, sure, but don't feel guilty when you ultimately get a dog from a breeder. 

They do make it difficult and inconvenient with home checks and references and that shit. I volunteered at an adoption house for dogs, and a lady I knew and vouched for wanted to adopt one I was fostering. She lived 5 hours away and I was going there anyway and could have taken the pooch to her. They made her drive over to get the dog in person. 

They had no problem calling me when they were in a jam to watch the dogs at my house, but not to vouch for someone else who I knew would provide a good home.

They have their reasons, for sure, but I wish they could make it easier somehow.

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I would assume that specific breed adoption groups are likely going to have very limited selection with a somewhat high demand and therefore probably have the ability to turn quite a few people away?  

That's fine but don't be sanctimonious shaming pricks to us when we ultimately buy a dog from a breeder.

• Like 1

Just now, Bill Clay said:

That's fine but don't be sanctimonious shaming pricks to us when we ultimately buy a dog from a breeder.

Agree.  I wouldn't shame anyone for going to a breeder.  As discussed about there are a lot of unknowns that can be mitigated some by paying more at a breeder vs adopting from the pound and as stated above it's not exactly easy to adopt from specific breed rescue groups.

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Austin Aussie rescue basically doesn't seem to consider anyone without at least two kids and a huge yard.

There is a large breed rescue up in Denver called Big Dogs Huge Paws that pretty much has a monopoly on giant breeds.  They won't let you have a dog if you don't have prior giant breed experience.  By this, they mean purebred giant breeds.  I had a 135# Bernese/Pyrenees mix and was told that didn't count.  Because he wasn't purebred.

They have a lot of other stupid rules, but that was the dumbest.  They make it really hard to adopt dogs.

We got our first golden from a breeder in Fredericksburg. He was a great dog.

We now have a chocolate lab and a golden that are both rescues. We can tell that neither is pure bred but they are close enough.

I think the part about knowing the medical lineage of a pure bred dog is kinda BS. Golden retrievers are well known for having hip problems and for having cancer. If life expectancy or medical costs are a concern at all, probably need to pick a different breed. Our pure bred golden died at age 8 from leukemia and our rescue golden just had a $5k ligament surgery at age 7. These things happen and you have to accept the bad with the good.

I don’t agree with shaming people for not rescuing. There’s also a lot of orphan humans in the world who need a loving home, yet most American couples choose to procreate. It’s just how people are.

Wife has volunteered with Golden Retriever Rescues of North Texas, Golden Retriever Rescue Alliance, and Big Dog Rescue Project. While I fully support the rescue efforts, the leaders of those organizations can be a bit psycho in screening prospective dog owners.

We will probably never live without a golden in our lives. I figure it’s 50/50 chance of breeder/rescue next time around.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I think the part about knowing the medical lineage of a pure bred dog is kinda BS. Golden retrievers are well known for having hip problems and for having cancer. If life expectancy or medical costs are a concern at all, probably need to pick a different breed. Our pure bred golden died at age 8 from leukemia and our rescue golden just had a $5k ligament surgery at age 7. These things happen and you have to accept the bad with the good.

You can't rule out cancer (that's what got my avatar at age 8 and is the reason we'll probably never have another Berner despite them being the best dogs ever), but things like hips, elbows, and other hereditary diseases (like cystinuria and degenerative myelopathy for Newfies) can all be tested for.  It's not necessarily a cost thing.  It's an I don't want to watch my dog suffer with something that could have been prevented thing.

Edited by Chewbacca

Just get one off Craigslist. I did that. Great dog, aside from the congenital liver defect that cost me $16k.

Seriously, don't be beholden to a certain breed. A lot of fantastic dogs are out there needing a home. You might just find a breed you like even better 

I spent six months trying to find a Golden breeder. Finally found one outside Charlotte, NC. I got two from the same liter, both of which share linage with the Bush’s Baked bean family. I happen to be one of those guys that does care about where the blood line runs. They are absolutely wonderful dogs. But, they were very expensive to buy, and they are extremely expensive to keep. 

If rescuing a dog works for you, awesome! Adopting a pet is a wonderful act of kindness. But, for me it was more of a question of want I wanted, and what was I willing to pay for it? 

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Seriously, don't be beholden to a certain breed. A lot of fantastic dogs are out there needing a home. You might just find a breed you like even better 

There is a lot to be said for this. You can have in your head about what you want specifically, but just like any family member, you end up bonding with and loving them for what they pretty quickly. Especially if it is for a family pet and not herding goats or hunting. 

There are over half a million dogs euthanized every year in the US. I'd hope with such an oversupply one of them could make a good fit. 

• Like 1

We used Debby Gower with Gower Goldens (http://gowergoldens.net/Our Dogs.htm).  At that time, she was in Austin but has since moved to Colorado.  Even so, when it is time for another, I will either drive or fly to Colorado to get one from her if she is still breeding. Clearly I am biased, but, he really is the most perfect dog from a temperament, looks, intelligence standpoint and can't imagine not having him or a relative of his around.  Now the shedding, that's a different story.    

Couple things if you check her out:  She did just have a litter that are likely already sold so may be a little time for the next one.  You do have to "interview" with her first.  And, she picks the dog for you rather than you picking the dog.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if still looking. But I know a couple in Katy area that breeds goldens. I have been trying to get my sister to get one. I have a lab already.

PM me for info if interested

Pics of recent litter that were ready to go last week. She had quoted me $800ea AKC

447adc74c1d57800b4534b01b9ca3fc4.png6413f5bc24911d32206dc6c6ace396fe.plistcf0eccf34854759a0fc6ef70cbb2b6c3.plist40fab45090144d06dd46dd0a0fc02e2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As mentioned earlier, cancer is extremely common in this breed.  I seem to recall the number being estimated at 1 in 4.  We lost our purebred Golden to lymphoma in 2001 (age 7).  I couldn't bring myself to get another dog for 12 years after that.  When I did, we adopted a Schnoodle.   Two years later, we adopted an 8 year old Schnauzerish mix. 

Last year, I finally took the big dog plunge again when a friend's Yellow Lab was knocked up by the local Golden Doodle.  "Maeby," our Golden Lab Quarter Doodle has been wonderful.  Our vet has suggested that the cancer risk might be lessened by waiting to have her fixed until she is 12 months old, and we are waiting. 

Best of luck. 

Is-Pct-K7cvi-P1z-LGAAYJo6q-PEa-Zl-Std-IR

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier, cancer is extremely common in this breed.  I seem to recall the number being estimated at 1 in 4.  We lost our purebred Golden to lymphoma in 2001 (age 7).  I couldn't bring myself to get another dog for 12 years after that.  When I did, we adopted a Schnoodle.   Two years later, we adopted an 8 year old Schnauzerish mix. 

Last year, I finally took the big dog plunge again when a friend's Yellow Lab was knocked up by the local Golden Doodle.  "Maeby," our Golden Lab Quarter Doodle has been wonderful.  Our vet has suggested that the cancer risk might be lessened by waiting to have her fixed until she is 12 months old, and we are waiting. 

Best of luck. 

Is-Pct-K7cvi-P1z-LGAAYJo6q-PEa-Zl-Std-IR3-Iaya-Kfje-T09-X0-Kj-Iu-6h-Ngtxzu-Ztz-nmkiz-DJPV6-O-9-M-x3-Wm2-SUT6-SIf-QTLh-Aj4-Czs-A2-H3-F0c73k-Bl5-ABcfg-Gl-Dk1-CEf2i9-Q3-E02nm-Xj1-Tq-Ds7-My-OQYUm-Q6nc-Ss5nk-WUv6me9wzy-XEq-Xf-Iq-Qh5-UY-1o-VSnq-Mk-JW2qw-Jx-AJ5-EXLPDTFwo5im-Aa5io-Av-U2-Y-2-JFQ8-Xw7-Hx-Lppf-Sai-Vk-ZU-q0n-YPs.jpg

My vet and two others I asked said that your vet is wrong, but I can’t really explain their explanation. Basically they said that the research indicating a preference to wait is incomplete, not accepted, etc., and that while you wait, risk is actually going up.

That said, enjoy your pup and she is going to fine either way. We are talking about some small probability differences.

ETA: My vet who had the opposite opinion did not at all try to convey any real concern about the choice. Basically, it was an “it’s up to you...” type of conversation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scottsins said:

My vet and two others I asked said that your vet is wrong, but I can’t really explain their explanation. Basically they said that the research indicating a preference to wait is incomplete, not accepted, etc., and that while you wait, risk is actually going up.

That said, enjoy your pup and she is going to fine either way. We are talking about some small probability differences.

ETA: My vet who had the opposite opinion did not at all try to convey any real concern about the choice. Basically, it was an “it’s up to you...” type of conversation.

Our vet was not offering up any guarantees and said that the studies are very new.  Basically said the same thing, i.e., it's up to you. 

As far as the risk going up based on waiting, I'm not sure what the logic is there if the research on waiting is incomplete.  In any event, we are enjoying her.  She'll be 1 year old next month and we'll get her scheduled for the snip. 

i have such a soft spot for goldens.  these pics are hitting me hard.  

we adopted our golden as a 3 month old in 2008 from a show-line breeder.  she had a heart murmur so couldn't be sold and no one wanted her.  we took her in and she grew out of her heart murmur.  died of cancer this past august.  great dog, nothing but love from her.  she loved the kids and let them do whatever they wanted to her.  

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:08 AM, gsoda3 said:

i have such a soft spot for goldens.  these pics are hitting me hard.  

we adopted our golden as a 3 month old in 2008 from a show-line breeder.  she had a heart murmur so couldn't be sold and no one wanted her.  we took her in and she grew out of her heart murmur.  died of cancer this past august.  great dog, nothing but love from her.  she loved the kids and let them do whatever they wanted to her.  

Sorry for your loss.  They are just fury balls of love.  When we're not there, they are thinking about you, waiting to love you.  When you're there, they're loving you and getting loved on.  They are wonderful.  It's so sad they aren't forever.  I miss my first one, which I always called a "once in a lifetime dog."  But my current Golden Lab Quarter Doodle, who looks like a slightly fuzzy golden is another once in a lifetime dog.  They're just wonderful.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:09 PM, utxmike05 said:

Not sure if still looking. But I know a couple in Katy area that breeds goldens. I have been trying to get my sister to get one. I have a lab already.

PM me for info if interested

Pics of recent litter that were ready to go last week. She had quoted me $800ea AKC

447adc74c1d57800b4534b01b9ca3fc4.png6413f5bc24911d32206dc6c6ace396fe.plistcf0eccf34854759a0fc6ef70cbb2b6c3.plist40fab45090144d06dd46dd0a0fc02e2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely beautiful...