From the Couple Years Too Late Dept.

RPM

Only one of six players to be a Super Bowl MVP twice or more.
Bart Starr
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Ben Rothlisberger
Tom Brady
Pretty good company and will be in the HOF.

In an era where generally only QBs are winning mvp’s and etc.

I think that criteria will need to change in the hall of fame going forward. And QB numbers will also need to be re-evaluated to what numbers get you into the hall.

1 hour ago, sdm said:

Looks like he edged Peyton out by around $4 million in career earnings. The two brothers earned roughly half a billion between them.

Ya but Peyton lapped him 100 times in the endorsements department. I bet Peyton made almost as much as his NFL salary n endorsements over his career. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Ya but Peyton lapped him 100 times in the endorsements department. I bet Peyton made almost as much as his NFL salary n endorsements over his career. 

No doubt but, as competitive as Peyton is, you know it burns his butt when little brother looks over at him and reminds him he earned more in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Bradshaw was before my time so I may be out in left field on this but can anyone explain the case for Bradshaw in Canton vs Eli?

I believe the case starts something like this:   Super Bowl IVX, Super Bowl X, Super Bowl XIII, Super Bowl XIV

Then continues:  107-51 in the regular season, 14-5 in the Playoffs,  4-0 in the Super Bowl.

That's some pretty rare air.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Like 1

To continue the devil's advocate line of thought.  Did Bradshaw carry those teams or was he along for the ride?  More Brady or Dilfer?

Total scrubs - only four other offensive starters and four defensive players made the HOF from the 1978 team that beat Dallas.
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I believe the case starts something like this:   Super Bowl IVX, Super Bowl X, Super Bowl XIII, Super Bowl XIV

Then continues:  107-51 in the regular season, 14-5 in the Playoffs,  4-0 in the Super Bowl.

Bradshaw is a no-brainer. Four-time SB champ, won NFL MVP in 1978 and was the first-team QB on the 1970's Decade All-Pro team.

Namath is a head-scratcher. Terrible TD/INT ratio, awful W/L record. He's in because of his guarantee and helping legitimize the NFL/AFL merger when the Jets won SBIII. Oh, and he also played in NY. Which is also why Eli will get in -- two-time SB champ, a lot of longevity stats and playing in NYC.

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Bradshaw is a no-brainer. Four-time SB champ, won NFL MVP in 1978 and was the first-team QB on the 1970's Decade All-Pro team.

Namath is a head-scratcher. Terrible TD/INT ratio, awful W/L record. He's in because of his guarantee and helping legitimize the NFL/AFL merger when the Jets won SBIII. Oh, and he also played in NY. Which is also why Eli will get in -- two-time SB champ, a lot of longevity stats and playing in NYC.

I think the fact that his 2 SB wins and accompanying SB MVPs came against the pats and B&B, including an undefeated team, add something to the mystique as well.

Edited by TexEx15

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Only one of six players to be a Super Bowl MVP twice or more.

Bart Starr

Terry Bradshaw

Joe Montana

Ben Rothlisberger

Tom Brady

Pretty good company and will be in the HOF.

Ben Rothlisberger was never SB MVP (Ward and Holmes).

9 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I think the fact that his 2 SB wins and accompanying SB MVPs came against the pats and B&B, including an undefeated team, add something to the mystique as well.

No doubt that adds to it. A couple other interesting Eli notes I heard this morning -- in both SB runs, he beat the Packers in Lambeau in the NFC title game. The first was Favre's last game in GB and the second was a 15-1 team led by Aaron Rodgers. Also, Eli played 16 years -- all of his playoff wins came in the two SB runs.

No doubt that adds to it. A couple other interesting Eli notes I heard this morning -- in both SB runs, he beat the Packers in Lambeau in the NFC title game. The first was Favre's last game in GB and the second was a 15-1 team led by Aaron Rodgers. Also, Eli played 16 years -- all of his playoff wins came in the two SB runs.

Wow

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is his legacy. What a bitch.

I suppose he could be thinking like an NFL QB and considering the score, the time remaining, should you go for two, etc etc, you know, kinda like that old guy standing next to him who didn't immediately explode in celebration.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

the best defense the game has ever seen for that period of sustained excellence may have helped...

Just a tad...

It's as simple as this. You can't tell the story of the NFL without including the 07 Patriots and the fact that Eli Manning beat them on a game winning drive. Or the fact that they had a shot at revenge and he did it again.

The fuckers that rail on guys who don't win SBs are probably the same ones who try to justify not putting a 2 time SB MVP in the hall.

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Regular Season Wins: 117
Regular Season Losses: 117

Ginger has to be "like, WTF.  I'm over .500 career and I can't even sniff an NFC Champ game"

seriously, Eli Manning needs to thank his D and Tyree in his HOF speech.

Edited by dcar00