Amarillo By Morning

Bearlyhangingon

I believe this is one of the greatest songs (not limited to country) ever recorded.  It seems to get lost in the shuffle, including among Strait's other songs.  So, I suggest it should be celebrated:

Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone, everything that I've got, is just what I've got on, when that sun is high in the Texas sky, I'll be buckin' at the county fair....

• Like 9

On 1/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, Bearlyhangingon said:

I believe this is one of the greatest songs (not limited to country) ever recorded.  It seems to get lost in the shuffle, including among Strait's other songs.  So, I suggest it should be celebrated:

Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone, everything that I've got, is just what I've got on, when that sun is high in the Texas sky, I'll be buckin' at the county fair....

Having grown up with my grandparents in Amarillo and making that 4.5 hr drive from OKC at the crack of dawn a hundred times...it gets awful dusty when I hear that song.  Number one for me and it’s not even close...

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, Bearlyhangingon said:

I believe this is one of the greatest songs (not limited to country) ever recorded.

When they showed Strait singing this on the "Country Music" documentary I thought "This is the most boring man in the history of country music.".  No shot at the goodness or greatness of the song, but this guy could be a cyborg.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

When they showed Strait singing this on the "Country Music" documentary I thought "This is the most boring man in the history of country music.".  No shot at the goodness or greatness of the song, but this guy could be a cyborg.

He's got more talent in the end of his pinkie finger than some of the fucking shitbags they trot out there nowadays.  I'm not even that big of a country fan, but George is and always will be the fucking King, after Bob Wills of course.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

He's got more talent in the end of his pinkie finger than some of the fucking shitbags they trot out there nowadays.  I'm not even that big of a country fan, but George is and always will be the fucking King, after Bob Wills of course.

I'm not comparing him to nowadays shitbags.  I'm comparing to actual interesting great country singers, like every single person who was mentioned in the aforementioned documentary.

59 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You should have known him back in his house arrest days.

I guess you're more of a Buddy Jackson type.

figures 😉

Edited by Cajun

I'd like to hear about that.

I'll admit it.  Strait doesn't do it for me, and he became popular when I wasn't listening to much country music, other than getting an affinity for Dwight Y. and Steve Earle in the mid to late 80s.  Strait was just too ersatz for me (and yes it may have been his persona) at the time, and I've never had a reason to go back and listen to his stuff.  It is a good song. 

But I hear a George Jones or a Johnny Cash song and I want to unpeel all its layers.  I listen to Strait and its nice production.  

Guess I just never did my homework or gave him the time.

15 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Back when George was living in San Marcos, just when he was beginning to be noticed on the national scene (early '80s iirc), he was fond of the booger sugar.

Got busted and ended up living under house arrest down in SA in his place at The Dominion.  

Or so I've heard the story told.

Edited by Cajun

9 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'll admit it.  Strait doesn't do it for me, and he became popular when I wasn't listening to much country music, other than getting an affinity for Dwight Y. and Steve Earle in the mid to late 80s.  Strait was just too ersatz for me (and yes it may have been his persona) at the time, and I've never had a reason to go back and listen to his stuff.  It is a good song. 

But I hear a George Jones or a Johnny Cash song and I want to unpeel all its layers.  I listen to Strait and its nice production.  

Guess I just never did my homework or gave him the time.

I adore Dwight, but I think you're off on Strait.  I might submit that Strait paved the way for Yoakam to enjoy commercial success and Steve Earle was still trying to be a rock star.  He's no more ersatz than those two.  He put traditionalist country back on the map because a lot of it in the 70s was dreck equivalent to some of the crapola we've had for the last 10-20 years.

Granted, he's not a high-energy performer.

• Like 1

I know this is not how it all works, but whoever wrote the fiddle part for the Strait version deserves a Grammy and a writing credit.  It's completely original (listen to the Stafford and Ledoux versions) and the primary thing imo that makes the song such a classic.  It may in fact be the best fiddle part to any modern country song.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I know this is not how it all works, but whoever wrote the fiddle part for the Strait version deserves a Grammy and a writing credit.  It's completely original (listen to the Stafford and Ledoux versions) and the primary thing imo that makes the song such a classic.  It may in fact be the best fiddle part to any modern country song.  

My best guess...

IMG_4023.jpg?fit=404,376

RIP Frenchie.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

My best guess...

IMG_4023.jpg?fit=404,376

RIP Frenchie.

Wikipedia says Buddy Spicher was the main fiddle player on the album.  Other sources indicate that it was him.

The basic arrangement is clear from the Stafford original (B3?) and harmonica on the LeDoux version.

The greatness is in the playing, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

It's not Spicher in the video posted above, but I think it is here, which would seem to be a bit later.  And I like this better.

With all due respect to Stafford and LeDoux, Strait's baritone was made for, and makes this song.

Following this on youtube, there's a pretty recent one from Gruene that also appears to be Spicher and it's similar to the above and the album version.

Good detective work Twice.  Like I said, Frenchie was my best guess.  

And I completely agree, no one came close to bringing this tune home like GS.  I know that's just opinion, but there are a few sales #s and radio plays to back that opinion up.

Edited by Cajun

Also, I didn't much care for most of the country during the 70s and 80s until Strait, at least to my ears, sort of re-traditionalized it.  And, that would have included quite a bit of outlaw country.

And I think putting fiddle into it, along with the steel, was a big part of that.  Compare Stafford with Strait.  And even LeDoux.

That new traditionalism closed the circle with Hank and Cash and others and let me learn to enjoy some of the better sort of disco-country.

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Good detective work Twice.  Like I said, Frenchie was my best guess.  

And I completely agree, no one came close to bringing this tune home like GS.  I know that's just opinion, but there are a few sales #s and radio plays to back that opinion up.

I agree that the fiddle is a huge part of that song, so I had to find out.  

Check out the buckle bunnies in the "Dome video.  They're kind of our vintage if I'm not mistaken.

Great song. Great performances by Strait in the videos above. The sound production in the second performance video is outstanding. 

Pop Country got squirrelly around then and hurt the genre with a lot of schmaltz. It was pop and cross-over was a big deal in Pop. George brought me back to the country and western I heard as a kid at Jake and Dorathy's jukebox in Stephenville. As said above, you knew you were in for comfort food for the ears . . .  

George reminded me of how good Country and Western is.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, on a non-musical note, check out how timeless Wrangler Cowboy Cuts, a moderate pair of boots, and a pressed button-down is.

If you look at Strait videos, that's all he wears, from the 80s to present.  And he never looks dated.

It’s all about the stack my man.

Coca Cola cowboys riding coin operated horses in front of WalMart need not apply.

8 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I'd say definitely George brought country music back to its traditional roots but I think you also need to add Randy Travis to that list with King George. 

On one hand I count the reasons you'd make this claim...

Randy - 30 Top 10s (Bilboard)

But, on the other hand...

George - 87 Top 10s (Bilboard)

To remind of some others who might not understand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

On one hand I count the reasons you'd make this claim...

Randy - 30 Top 10s (Bilboard)

But, on the other hand...

George - 87 Top 10s (Bilboard)

To remind of some others who might not understand.

No doubt the King is the King for a reason but 80's Randy was what country needed to sound like coming out of the 70s. Youre right on about the ladies loving them some George. Hell moms, daughters and granddaughters love him. 

On 1/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Cajun said:

Back when George was living in San Marcos, just when he was beginning to be noticed on the national scene (early '80s iirc), he was fond of the booger sugar.

Got busted and ended up living under house arrest down in SA in his place at The Dominion.  

Or so I've heard the story told.

his team roping event in kingsville was part of an agreement made after a rather large coke bust in kleberg county 

Having family in the Texas Panhandle, including Amarillo, and making the 8 or 9 hour road trip at night through Abilene, and Aspermont, and Paducah with my Dad and Uncle Mark as a kid really makes this hit close to home.

You always knew you were getting really close when you hit Childress.