Amarillo By Morning

Bearlyhangingon

Heard this song yesterday at a charity event I was attending. DJ eventually moved on to hip-hop dance tunes but I found myself singing along to this one. One of my nephews has spent most of his career in Nashville as a studio musician, songwriter and producer. He got his start in Houston in the early 70's as somewhat of a child prodigy pedal steel player, as a 13 y/o he once shared the stage with Roy Clark at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. He was recently bemoaning the frequent absence of the pedal steel as a staple of the country music that he grew up on, the sounds that drew him into the business.  Sigh. Times change.

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Heard this song yesterday at a charity event I was attending. DJ eventually moved on to hip-hop dance tunes but I found myself singing along to this one. One of my nephews has spent most of his career in Nashville as a studio musician, songwriter and producer. He got his start in Houston in the early 70's as somewhat of a child prodigy pedal steel player, as a 13 y/o he once shared the stage with Roy Clark at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. He was recently bemoaning the frequent absence of the pedal steel as a staple of the country music that he grew up on, the sounds that drew him into the business.  Sigh. Times change.

does he appreciate how fucking awesome it is to play with Roy Clark?

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

does he appreciate how fucking awesome it is to play with Roy Clark?

I think so. Over the last 30+ years he's sat in on sessions with many of the luminaries of C&W and gospel music as well. He played with Willie and Merle on David Letterman's show for their "Band of Brothers" album a few years back. He knows he was given an amazing talent and that's allowed him to rub shoulders with others as equally talented. I'll have to ask him if he ever played with Strait but I don't recall him ever mentioning it.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

his team roping event in kingsville was part of an agreement made after a rather large coke bust in kleberg county 

And because of that, I got to see him 8 or 9 times in that little JK Northway coliseum.