2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

At this time,  baseball  game for Saturday is still on.    Softball is playing a dh on Friday (dirt infield).     60-70% showers for Saturday.

Texas baseball coach David Pierce told reporters on Thursday that UT’s baseball team will still attempt to play on Saturday. For the second game of a three-game series, the Longhorns and New Orleans are scheduled to meet at 2:30 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Since UT has a game scheduled on the following Tuesday, Pierce said he would prefer to not play a double-header on Sunday.

https://www.hookem.com/2018/04/19/due-to-weather-threat-texas-to-play-oklahoma-state-twice-on-friday/

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/78711:4:US

4 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

Houston coming off a big weekend. 3 game sweep of wichita state.  Moved them up 45 spots in RPI. 

They also took 2 from USF week before.  They have ECU and UConn still left.

Need to win on Tuesday and this may pay dividends as a top 30 win by year end.

Perfect timing for us to play them.  Granted, Texas coming off their worst loss and Houston coming off their best win is not the best timing

Despite the bad loss Sunday, Texas still went 4-1 last week and earned a bump in the rankings.  They're as high as 19 in the d1baseball poll, and are ranked ahead of Oklahoma, LSU and aggy despite only being 3-4 against those teams (all 7 games played on the road, mind you)

RPI fell as low as 35 after starting last week at 23, and currently sits 1 behind wvu at 33.  Critical week to win at least 3 of 4 games to get the rpi in shape for a chance to host

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petscii said:

I guess I am cheering for Miami this weekend....

http://seminoles.com/sports/baseball/

Meh, it's gonna happen one way or the other.  The man never won a championship though, and Augie won 5 spanning over 4 decades.

Never understood how FSU always cracked in the postseason every single year.  Were they ever even national runner-up in his tenure there? Would be a pretty awesome story if he won it all this year

http://texassports.com/news/2018/4/24/roger-and-debbie-clemens-pledge-1-million-gift-to-support-texas-baseball.aspx

AUSTIN, Texas—A legendary name in Longhorn Baseball lore – Clemens – has stepped back up to the plate to provide a $1 million donation toward a $9 million project that will help support the future of the program, University of Texas Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte announced on Tuesday.

The gift by Longhorn Legend and Major League Baseball great Roger Clemens and his wife, Debbie, on behalf of the Roger Clemens Foundation, will provide support to the program and assist in the funding of an indoor baseball training facility. UT Athletics is actively fundraising for that facility, which is scheduled to begin construction this summer with a 2019 anticipated completion date. Texas is the only school in the Big 12 that does not have indoor baseball training area, and this ongoing fundraising campaign is in place to support that structure.

The Clemens’ youngest two sons, Kacy and Kody, are also part of the family’s Texas Baseball legacy. Kacy completed a tremendous career at Texas in 2017 by earning Team MVP and Offensive MVP honors as a senior. He was drafted in the eighth round by the Toronto Blue Jays last June and is currently a member of that organization. Kody is in the midst of an outstanding junior season. He was recently named a Midseason All-American, is a member of the Golden Spikes Award (nation’s top amateur baseball player) watch list and has recorded a Big 12-leading 13 home runs in 2018. The Clemens’ eldest two sons, Koby and Kory, also have Texas connections with Koby signing with the Longhorns before deciding to play professional baseball, and Kory attending UT before embarking on a career in culinary arts.

“On my way to a 24-year career in the major leagues, I can say for me it all started right here at The University of Texas. I have fantastic memories that I carry with me now and forever from The University and our city of Austin.” Clemens said. “Those fond memories continue as I have watched all four of my boys have ties to UT – and in the case of Kacy and Kody large ties with both excelling in the classroom and at Disch-Falk Field. When I was at Texas, we had the best facility in the nation. Now with the addition of the indoor complex and training facility, it will once again be the best place to play, workout and take your game to the next level. I hope all of you will be proud of it!”

A member of the Longhorn Hall of Honor whose jersey number 21 was retired in 1993, Clemens earned a complete game win to help lead Texas to the 1983 National Championship. He led the Longhorns in innings pitched and strikeouts in 1982 and 1983 and tossed an NCAA-record 35 consecutive scoreless innings in the 1982 postseason. He did not allow a single walk in 17.2 innings during the Horns’ 1983 College World Series run. Clemens was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.

“The Rocket was just unbelievable to watch as a player, and we are so lucky to have him, not only as a Longhorn Legend and icon here, but also, along with Debbie, as parents, fans and supporters,” Del Conte said. “I’ve really enjoyed getting to know them, and it doesn’t take long to feel the pride and passion they have for their Longhorns. Roger played here, two of his sons followed in his footsteps, and he’s a regular at so many of our sporting events. The Clemens family absolutely bleeds orange. This gift truly underscores their love for Texas. Their generosity will help our baseball program continue to grow and prosper for years to come.”

Clemens was a first-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in the 1983 Major League Baseball Draft. He played for 24 seasons, winning 354 games (ninth-most in MLB history) and recording 4,672 strikeouts (third-most in MLB history). Clemens earned an MLB-record seven Cy Young Awards, was an 11-time All-Star and helped his teams to six World Series appearances, winning two with the New York Yankees (1999, 2000).

“Roger is a true Texas Longhorn,” said Texas Baseball head coach David Pierce. “He has an incredible amount of passion and pride for The University of Texas and has been a supportive former player and parent for many years. On behalf on the coaches and players, I want to thank Roger and Debbie for their incredible gift to help support our new indoor facility project. This is big-time support from the ‘Rocket’ and his family.”

16 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Hosting with A&M as the 2 seed would be so incredible. I'd love to see a rematch with a better pitchers on the mound.

Imho, I think Texas is better than that team. Out-hit them in their own park and would not let their bullpen keep us at bay. Had Texas not spotted them 4 runs in the first, Texas could've won that game handily

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, TrashMaster G said:

I really like how a ball will be hit solidly and Lowell says the batter "crushes" it to right field, only to see the RF make a routine catch.

Revisiting this, another thing that drives me crazy is when he says something like this:

"The Baylor Bears loaded the bases, but Kingham works out of the jam and gives up only 2 runs."

No you dumb fuck. If you work out of the jam you didn't give up any runs. If you gave up runs, you "limited the damage" or some such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

Revisiting this, another thing that drives me crazy is when he says something like this:

"The Baylor Bears loaded the bases, but Kingham works out of the jam and gives up only 2 runs."

No you dumb fuck. If you work out of the jam you didn't give up any runs. If you gave up runs, you "limited the damage" or some such.

There was a similar statement a week ago or so where the leadoff hitter either walked or was hit, and then we retired the next 3 batters.  Whoever was in the booth -- not sure if it was Lowell -- pipes up with "<UT pitcher> essentially retires the side in order".

Huh?

5 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Hosting with A&M as the 2 seed would be so incredible. I'd love to see a rematch with a better pitchers on the mound.

I bet A&M doesn't end up a 2 seed. They close with @ Miss State, Florida, @Arkansas, and South Carolina. They are already 9-9 in conference, so there's a decent chance they finish under .500 in the SEC. 

I'm going to guess they end up a 3 seed. No clue if they would still be sent to Austin or not if we host. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

There was a similar statement a week ago or so where the leadoff hitter either walked or was hit, and then we retired the next 3 batters.  Whoever was in the booth -- not sure if it was Lowell -- pipes up with "<UT pitcher> essentially retires the side in order".

Huh?

that was whomever was with Ben McDonald on the secnetwork. and it was the other way around (<aggy pitcher> essentially retires the side)

Edited by tejas60
ou sux

Inside Texas on baseball facilities

During the presidency of Bill Powers, UT released a campus master plan that showed several different exciting new buildings for both the athletic and academic sides of the state's flagship university. One section of that plan, the East Campus master plan, was so important it got it's own special treatment.

Texas' footprint in East Campus was just two major athletic facilities (UFCU Disch-Falk Field and McCombs Field) along with multiple facilities, complex buildings, printing buildings, and other non-classroom buildings. The landscape of East Campus has changed with the addition of the East Campus parking garage and the Texas Tennis Center.

Soon, graduate student-housing will be available behind the softball stadium, but major progress on one part of the plan was announced this week: Texas' indoor baseball facility.

There's no doubt Disch-Falk Field is one of the finest diamonds in college baseball, but it was lacking a major ancillary other recruiting rivals had in an indoor facility. One source said the current indoor hitting facilities, which can be seen from the right field bleachers, were behind what the rest of the Big 12 had.

With help from a gift by Roger and Debbie Clemens, that will soon no longer be a problem. Texas is building an indoor training facility that will give Texas a controlled environment for both the team and for summer camps, scheduled for completion in 2019.

A source inside the department said this was in the "need" category as opposed to the "want" category. Not only does the controlled environment guarantee an ability to practice regardless of weather (turf indoors plays like turf outdoors), but also space. The new weight room will have plenty of room to comfortably fit everyone for workouts. 

The Texas non-conference schedule, along with CDC, might have helped accelerate this project. Del Conte mentioned in early January there was a baseball project they were working on. Hard to think this isn't what he was talking about.

Before they traveled to other Big 12 facilities that had a step up on its own, Texas was able to see Arkansas' and LSU's baseball training area. (Remember how CDC constantly repeated look, listen, and learn?) The Tigers' indoor is visible in right field at Alex Box Stadium, and even from the grandstands it's easy to see it's an improvement over the current Longhorn shingle building.

This banner sits almost right above the LSU facility. Maybe there's a correlation.

The addition of an indoor facility was in the original renovation plans that were mostly completed last decade, but it was left out and was something baseball had been asking for since then. 

Clemens' generosity is definitely appreciated, but it takes an ask. That ask will set Texas baseball up well with top class training and weight facilities for a top class program. That ask took ten years, the right coach, The Rocket, and the right AD to make it happen.

I am pretty happy with the way the season has progressed it is too bad Texas was not off to a bit of a better start early on and there are still pitching issues to deal with, but overall it looks like a young coach is doing pretty well with a team that is far from some of the better teams Texas has ever had

clearly the coach could do well with players that would play for SHSU and Tulane now we need to see if he can recruit the caliber of players that Texas is used to having play for Texas and I don't think there is reason to doubt that if he can then he will do very well coaching them 

it is refreshing to see at least one major mens program at Texas improve over the course of the season (at least so far)

hopefully there can be some bigger wins along the way to cap off the season and leave optimism and recruiting positives for next season

We have to get McKenzie out of the lineup.  Nothing personal, and it's cool that he played all 9 positions in a game, but the guy is as close as you can get to an automatic out. After 45 games, we're looking at:

Three (3) extra base hits (all doubles) in 100 plate appearances, good for a "slugging" percentage of .250 and an OPS (on base plus slugging) of .580. To put that in perspective, Kody's OPS is 1.115 (awesome), Reynolds' .786 (not bad) and Andy McGuire's .987, albeit over only about 30 plate appearances.  Hell, McCann is at .719 (an improvement over last year's .667).  

Further perspective - here's a list of other conference team's worst hitters who have at least 100 PA's:

KSU -Brett Owen - .630 with 5 doubles
KU - Skyler Messinger - .637 with 7 XBH's
Baylor - Tucker Cascadden - .596 with 3 triples
WVU - Ivan Gonzales - .561 with 6 doubles
OU - Tyler Hardman - .609 with 2 homers
Tech - no one near that bad
TCU - Zach Humphries - .649 with 2 triples
OSU - Jake Taylor - .596, but only 90 plate appearances

So, it appears that the University of Texas baseball team starts the conference's 2nd-worst hitter at first base.  I'm not sure how to measure his defensive value, but I truly wonder if it's enough to keep McGuire out of the line up.

Just now, 66BUFF said:

Burbank from Beaumont Kelly will be a freshman next season at Texas, he is a left handed pitcher/1st base with a great glove and great bat.  Hits for  power and average

could also play Gieb at 1st next year.  That kid can hit.

Copied this from wood in the mlb thread if you like me seldom go there.    Worked great for Nolan as he only had to travel 75 miles from Morgantown.

wood

• wood
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Welp, guess we can talk about it now. Nolan Kingham's brother Nick goes 6 2/3 perfect with 9 Ks so far in his first MLB start. He's been in the minors for 8 years, had TJ surgery, etc, & just got called up. Nolan and fam in the stands...

Pretty got damn cool.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:53 PM, 66BUFF said:

Burbank from Beaumont Kelly will be a freshman next season at Texas, he is a left handed pitcher/1st base with a great glove and great bat.  Hits for  power and average

How he’s he not a mlb flight risk ?