2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

What an odd season.  We seem to be doing OK midweek but struggle getting out of the gate on weekends.

Agree it's an odd season (we are up and down; conference is bizarre).  But don't you think your observation is attributable to who we are playing midweek vs the weekend?  

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Agree it's an odd season (we are up and down; conference is bizarre).  But don't you think your observation is attributable to who we are playing midweek vs the weekend?  

Are you saying our midweek schedule is weaker than usual?  I hadn't really noticed.  Maybe no Dallas Baptist, but aren't we more or less up against the same old same old?

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you saying our midweek schedule is weaker than usual?  I hadn't really noticed.  Maybe no Dallas Baptist, but aren't we more or less up against the same old same old?

No, simply that we struggle in opening games on the weekend relative to mid week games because of the level of competition.  

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They need to figure out something to do with Ridgeway besides using him as a closer for now.

I figure that's what Pierce was doing last night. It's hard to imagine a less stressful situation than up 9 with three outs to go.  And he still couldn't make it through the inning. In any case, whatever he was doing right last year must be there somewhere, so I'm for continuing to run him out there in such situations in the hope that he straightens it out.

Last year Texas finished 11-12 in conference (a game against @Ok. St. was canceled) and still almost secured a regional host spot, thanks in large part to a strong conference tournament performance.

This year, they're already 9-3, albeit the conference is much weaker than it was last year.  This upcoming week of road games will be huge for rpi regardless of results, so it would be very nice to secure some Ws

Looking at the roster, it sure seems like we are going to return a lot of arms next year. 

FR (Fields, Elder, O'Donnell, Inoff, Quintanilla, Whelan, Streitmann). 

RS FR (Stevens)

So (Henley). Henley isn't draft eligible unless he meets the age requirement criteria. 

Rs So (Verplank)

JR (Ridgeway, Shugart, Bocchi, Fearon, Kingham, Ivey). Kingham is likely gone. I'm not sure how Ridgeway could have any draft value at this point. I guess Shugart could be a mid-round guy. Seems to me the only 2 out of this group we would lose are Kingham for sure and maybe Shugart. 

RS JR (Diaz, Sawyer, McGuire, Robinson). I don't see any of those guys having a ton of draft value but McGuire and Sawyer might be ready to just move on. 

SR (Mckenzie)-Gone

Couple notes on the OU Series:

Weather -  Cold front moves in Friday night after the game.    For the 8PM Saturday game,  game time temperature forecast to be mid -high 40s.   Sunday's high 59.   Wind for all 3 days forecast to be from North at 20mph plus.

iirc,   L Dale Mitchell is like the Disch,   North wind blows in.

Don't know if they will consider moving up the time for Saturday's game.   Problem is it is scheduled for ESPNU and OU football has their Spring game at 1PM.   OU Softball plays at 5PM.   They scheduled all 3 sports like we did for 21 April.    Maybe a DH on Sunday  ?

Not good the weather can  be a factor in such a key series.

• Like 1