2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

You can sign up for a one month subscription to the sooner sports network for $9.99.  As an added bonus you can see the dedication of the Bob Stoops dick statue live later this month.

I'd pay the $9.99 to watch if there was some way to host it for all of surly.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Because I like numbers... A look at runs scored by inning this season:

TEXAS

Inning 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Runs scored 28 15 28 30 38 18 26 20 15
Average         0.737         0.395         0.737         0.789         1.000         0.474         0.684         0.541

OPPONENTS

Inning 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Runs scored 18 18 28 10 28 23 21 14 18
Average         0.474         0.474         0.737         0.263         0.737         0.605         0.553         0.378         0.581
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

Would love to see us take down UTRGV, TSU, NO, and TSU. That is 6 wins and we should be able to win the UH matchup and the WVU series. 9 wins would be amazing right now. 

Team sits at 24-14 with 17 games remaining.  If Texas can find a way to finish the season with less than 20 losses, i.e. they'd need to finish 12-5 or better (36-19 overall or better), then they have a very realistic shot of hosting a regional.  Especially if they can find a way to finish top 2 or 3 in the conference.

I'm pretty sure Texas was the 2nd or 3rd highest rpi at the end of last year's regular season that didn't host, and I think it cost them dearly.  Had that regional been played in Austin and not Long Beach, I think the Horns win that regional and host CSFU in Austin for the supers.  Ifs and buts are candy and nuts, I know.

Anything less than 5-0 this week would need some serious explaining.  New Orleans is the highest rated rpi scheduled this week, and it currently sits north of 200... Maybe Ridgeway will mow some guys down and fix whatever problems that have lead to his complete inability to throw scoreless outings this season.

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness

Beau is just fucking broken right now. Pitching with the pressure of trying tk get drafted and it really shows. 18-1/3 innings, 13 walks, 5 HBP, 19 hits, 9.82 ERA and a smoooooth 1.75 WHIP (2.0 baserunners per inning when you include the HBP! That's just as terrible as he has looked)

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Beau is just fucking broken right now. Pitching with the pressure of trying tk get drafted and it really shows. 18-1/3 innings, 13 walks, 5 HBP, 19 hits, 9.82 ERA and a smoooooth 1.75 WHIP (2.0 baserunners per inning when you include the HBP! That's just as terrible as he has looked)

Yes.  He needs to be benched for a solid week, minimum.

He needs to hit rock bottom and truly believe he has nothing to lose, like McGuire did. If he realizes his stats can't get worse and he can't hurt his draft stock any further, he will suddenly start pumping strikes again and regain his confidence. It's amazing how confidence or lack thereof snowballs in this game.

Edited by B00M
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Pierce must be pissed at Nico. Whelan on Wednesday?

IF Pierce is pissed, which I doubt, it should be at himself. Nico did Nico things vs A&M, the ground balls he induced once he put himself into a jam just missed our infielders this time. We know exactly what we have in Nico by now.

I like this move a lot, give another young arm an opportunity to emerge. 

On 4/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, zlavydra said:

Pierce must be pissed at Nico. Whelan on Wednesday?

Kam Fields getting the start. I think Pierce knows the teams we're playing this week are terrible, and is trying to get inexperienced guys more time on the diamond while still expecting a win.

If the team has their heads screwed on straight and doesn't play to the opponents' level, we should expect to see more results like last night against UTRGV

If we win 3 of the final 4 series, I bet we host. 
We should win the WV and New Orleans series. Just need to win 1/2 against TCU and Tech. 

I think this too. Wifedastripper makes a good point NO blows so maybe a sweep there for good measure

We'd have to take all 3 of the remaining conference series to host.  Or go 2-1 amongst the 3 series and one of those wins be a sweep.  And we need to do no worse than 5-1 in non-conf. play from here on out.  And then the conference tournament will actually be important again from a fine-tuning standpoint.  A couple of weeks ago, it'd be insane for us to be entertaining this notion but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Worse case is play it out and maybe get a close-by #2 seed and hope for a shot at hosting a Super Regional (we were inches away from that last year).  

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We'd have to take all 3 of the remaining conference series to host.  

I don't think this is true. Texas Tech is #3 in RPI and it's on the road. Going 1-2 against Tech on the road will do very little to our resume. Matter of fact, going 1-2 might actually help it. 

If we win the the remaining 6 non-conference games against low RPI teams, go 2-1 @ WV, go 1-2 at @Tech and go 2-1 against TCU I bet we have a decent to good shot to host. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'm sure this has been bitched about before, probably even belongs in the "trivial things" thread, but what would it take to get Keith Moreland or parrot Lowell to call a base hit a mother fucking "HIT"? Even just sometimes?! They have ruined the word "knock" for me. It's not clever, or cute, it's fucking annoying to replace a short, elegant word that has a technical meaning with a longer, uglier word just to be different. /rant

2 hours ago, B00M said:

I'm sure this has been bitched about before, probably even belongs in the "trivial things" thread, but what would it take to get Keith Moreland or parrot Lowell to call a base hit a mother fucking "HIT"? Even just sometimes?! They have ruined the word "knock" for me. It's not clever, or cute, it's fucking annoying to replace a short, elegant word that has a technical meaning with a longer, uglier word just to be different. /rant

Lighten up, Francis

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

We'd have to take all 3 of the remaining conference series to host.  Or go 2-1 amongst the 3 series and one of those wins be a sweep.  And we need to do no worse than 5-1 in non-conf. play from here on out.  And then the conference tournament will actually be important again from a fine-tuning standpoint.  A couple of weeks ago, it'd be insane for us to be entertaining this notion but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Worse case is play it out and maybe get a close-by #2 seed and hope for a shot at hosting a Super Regional (we were inches away from that last year).  

I actually think we would be better off as a #2 in a close by regional.  With the new 1 to 16 seeding, if we host we will be one of the lowest seeds and end up with a very unfavorable super match up.  As a #2, we might end up with a super match up that we could win.  Let aggy host as the #16 seed and get swept by Florida in the supers.