2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

I would kind of think, if Schlossnagle is really considering the MSU position, that he didn't particularly like Texas' relative position in the in-state recruiting hierarchy, as it currently stands.  He didn't relish giving up what he'd built at TCU.  That said, I'm not sure why MSU would hold any particular interest for him.  Maybe salary vs. cost of living?  Maybe he's got a streak of country boy in him.  Both of those factors probably favored Fort Worth over Austin, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Wow, so they had more interest and higher expectations in their coaching search than we did....

There's going to be a lot of names thrown at the wall like there was with Texas, because Miss State is a good job. 

Throwing out names like McDonnell and Schloss doesn't mean they are actually going to land them. 

Edited by texasstrong12

There is no fucking way that Mississippi State poaches Schloss from TCU. Zero.

Especially after we beat those cockroaches by 17+ runs in 3 straight games. Hell, he might decide to retire from the game after we thoroughly demolish and demoralize their entire team.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I would kind of think, if Schlossnagle is really considering the MSU position, that he didn't particularly like Texas' relative position in the in-state recruiting hierarchy, as it currently stands.  He didn't relish giving up what he'd built at TCU.  That said, I'm not sure why MSU would hold any particular interest for him.  Maybe salary vs. cost of living?  Maybe he's got a streak of country boy in him.  Both of those factors probably favored Fort Worth over Austin, too.

The Mississippi State job is much better than TCU. For a lot of reasons. 

I'm betting Chris Del Conte leaving doesn't exactly give Schlossnagle a great feeling. http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article189081904.html

"Believing in baseball. Baseball is not a revenue sport, but Del Conte treated it that way. In 2010, baseball reached Omaha for the first time. The resulting exposure from the College World Series, followed six months later by a Rose Bowl championship in football, proved a potent pairing. Impressed, Del Conte fed the momentum by approving renovations to the baseball stadium and giving coach Jim Schlossnagle leeway to hire top assistants Kirk Saarloos in 2012 and Bill Mosiello in 2013. Since 2014, TCU is 198-69 (.742) with four straight CWS trips."

Edited by texasstrong12

The Miss St coaching search is an example of a search done when you have an Athletic Director.    Note  CWS experience as a factor.

I read an article last month (sorry I can't find) where Schlossnagle was asked the problem with TCU this year.    In summary he said,  injuries,  youth,  players not playing to ability/expectations.  But he also mentioned the challenge of recruiting to TCU with the high cost of tuition.     He quoted some figures and it seemed he expected the tuition to go even higher.   

So perhaps he prefers a public school.   I know by his comments after the CWS he was very disappointed.   He may feel his best chance to win the CWS is elsewhere,  disappointed that is not Texas.

Aggys worst nightmare is Scholss in the SEC.

The below is a quote from Aaron Fitt, D1Baseball,  on the Monday Chat.   The reply is in reference to a question on why the West Coast teams seem to be not as strong.

Aaron Fitt: 

It does feel like the balance of power has shifted gradually to the SEC in recent years, and let’s face it, the place where the most people care the most about college baseball is the Southeast and Texas. That’s where the fans show up, so that’s where the programs invest the most heavily in their programs, which helps them attract the best talent, which helps them win, which causes more fans to show up, which leads to further investments in facilities…. round and round it goes, a cycle that feeds into itself. The West feels like it’s getting left out of that cycle. As you point out, there are still plenty of very good baseball players in the West, and there are still teams having success out there… but right now the depth isn’t anywhere near the depth in other parts of the country.

https://d1baseball.com/chats/top-25-chat-may-14/

Edited by torre

17 minutes ago, torre said:

The Miss St coaching search is an example of a search done when you have an Athletic Director.    Note  CWS experience as a factor.

I don't know why Texas fans keep saying this. Texas tried to hire a coach with CWS experience. Now  the lack of an AD absolutely had an impact on the hiring process, but they wanted coaches with CWS experience. 

Edited by texasstrong12

The biggest thing with TCU moving forward is this doesn't look like a 1 year rebuild for Schloss. 

TCU is likely losing their top 4 hitters in Watson, Baker, Balta, and Landestoy. Plus they have pitching issues with guys like Wymer and Janczak being draft eligible. 

This might be a 3 to 4 year rebuild for Schloss. Might be a situation where Schloss gets out while he can. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There's going to be a lot of names thrown at the wall like there was with Texas, because Miss State is a good job. 

Throwing out names like McDonnell and Schloss doesn't mean they are actually going to land them. 

I agree. The unique situation of our hire is different though. John already had a short list from when he retired. Corbin was offered but he either passed due to non-interest or timing (John retired during fall ball in 2016). Cann couldn't keep his d*ck off his phone or in his pants including during a game..and was sent packing 3 games into the season. So we have been actively recruiting a coach for over 3 months now.

Between the constant detailed hype coming from John Cohen (will be a HC, will be paid top money, will have made MULTIPLE CWS appearances. ) it knocked it down to about 8 coaches. Mike Martin isn't one of them or any of the other lifer guys. Sully from UF isn't coming, The angry midget from LSU isn't coming. 

That leaves basically the ones i mentioned above. Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, Tadlock (who is not comparable to the first 3)

Will it happen? Well.. we will have a head coach as soon as their season ends. So it will be interesting to follow certain coaches in the post-season. 

Could they and their agent be playing us? like football coaches do? Sure I guess.. but that's not the norm in baseball. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, msudawg said:

Between the constant detailed hype coming from John Cohen (will be a HC, will be paid top money, will have made MULTIPLE CWS appearances. ) it knocked it down to about 8 coaches. Mike Martin isn't one of them or any of the other lifer guys. Sully from UF isn't coming, The angry midget from LSU isn't coming. 

That leaves basically the ones i mentioned above. Schloss, McDonnell, Corbin, Tadlock (who is not comparable to the first 3)

There are lots of potentials with that resume.  What about Childress?

Hamilton certainly struggled at the plate last year but all year I thought that with an offseason of weight training in a major program he would improve quite a bit.  I never thought it would be this much in just 1 year though.  The guy worked his ass off and it's paying off.  He's having a hell of a year.

7 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Hamilton certainly struggled at the plate last year but all year I thought that with an offseason of weight training in a major program he would improve quite a bit.  I never thought it would be this much in just 1 year though.  The guy worked his ass off and it's paying off.  He's having a hell of a year.

The offensive improvement by both DHam and Kody have been huge.

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Kody was always going to be much better than last year simply due to being healthy.  If he had been healthy last year we would have been much better.  His power is impressive this year.  

Zubia has also been much better than i thought.  Coming into the year I thought he would hit .240-.250 with lots of power.  Him hitting over .300 on the year is a pleasant surprise.

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Kody was always going to be much better than last year simply due to being healthy.  If he had been healthy last year we would have been much better.  His power is impressive this year.  

Zubia has also been much better than i thought.  Coming into the year I thought he would hit .240-.250 with lots of power.  Him hitting over .300 on the year is a pleasant surprise.

Being healthy makes a difference, but Kody has shown impressive patience at the plate, too.  He is seeing the ball better.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

56 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Zubia tore up his summer league. I've been excited for him all offseason and he's certainly been worth the wait. Pierce can absolutely evaluate and develop hitting talent. He grabbed Zubia out of Houston when he was at Tulane and then got him to transfer. 

10 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

There are lots of potentials with that resume.  What about Childress?

Nothing about anything or anyone  at Aggy means "top,most accomplished" 

Edited by msudawg

Childress is in year 13 at A&M with zero CWS wins. He's had some loaded A&M teams too. 

Miss State would be better off going with an up-and-comer over Childress. Hiring an up-and-comer might fail but pretty sure everyone has a good idea of what the upside is with Childress (an occasional CWS appearance). 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Childress is in year 13 at A&M with zero CWS wins. He's had some loaded A&M teams too. 

Miss State would be better off going with an up-and-comer over Childress. Hiring an up-and-comer might fail but pretty sure everyone has a good idea of what the upside is with Childress (an occasional CWS appearance). 

To be fair, Childress is hampered by the fact that he is at a&m.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

To be fair, Childress is hampered by the fact that he is at a&m.

Meh, A&M should be winning big. The fact they only have 2 CWS wins in their history is probably the biggest underachievement in their athletic department. 

The College Station/Houston area is loaded with baseball talent, they have good facilities, and they have the  SEC baseball appeal now. 

I think people drastically overvalue A&M's appeal in terms of football and basketball, but A&M is a top 10 job in baseball. They just continually go full aggy.  

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

Nothing about anything or anyone  at Aggy means "top,most accomplished" 

I was going off your AD’s description. “will be a HC, will be paid top money, will have made MULTIPLE CWS appearances.“ 

lots of coaches fit in that category.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Meh, A&M should be winning big. The fact they only have 2 CWS wins in their history is probably the biggest underachievement in their athletic department. 

The College Station/Houston area is loaded with baseball talent, they have good facilities, and they have the  SEC baseball appeal now. 

I think people drastically overvalue A&M's appeal in terms of football and basketball, but A&M is a top 10 job in baseball. They just continually go full aggy.  

You miss my point.  aggy has a long history of choking in baseball that predates Childress.  Maybe he's not the problem.

• Like 1

I wish 'em all well, but I can't imagine being strong enough academically to graduate before running out of eligibility AND not coming back to work on a graduate degree for a year while playing ball.  (Assuming pro ball isn't on the table, of course, which I don't think is true for all of these guys.)

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wish 'em all well, but I can't imagine being strong enough academically to graduate before running out of eligibility AND not coming back to work on a graduate degree for a year while playing ball.  (Assuming pro ball isn't on the table, of course, which I don't think is true for all of these guys.)

Kinda what I was thinking.