2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

aggy 4 games below .500 in the SEC. That aren't getting in if they lose that SEC tournament opener. 

Losing 2 of 3 at home to Carolina sucks but they’re getting in. SEC is brutal this year - 3 of the top 4 in RPI and aggy played them all (going 2-7 against them.)

14 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Losing 2 of 3 at home to Carolina sucks but they’re getting in. SEC is brutal this year - 3 of the top 4 in RPI and aggy played them all (going 2-7 against them.)

If they lose the opener in the SEC tournament they won't get in. I'm almost positive. They might even need a couple wins in the SEC tournament. They're #21 in RPI now.

Edited by texasstrong12

If you get your rpi by losing to a bunch of good teams, how does that show that you belong in the tournament?

It’s not entirely the case for them. I think their record is skewed due to the quality of teams in their conference. They have some good wins too - including over us.

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It’s not entirely the case for them. I think their record is skewed due to the quality of teams in their conference. They have some good wins too - including over us.

Their best series wins are #27 RPI Miss State (2-1) and #45 LSU (2-1). Next best series win is #79 RPI Alabama. 

They have very few good series wins. Miss State is about their only decent series win on the resume. 

aggy built their resume by stacking wins against shit teams in non-conference and then the SEC schedule inflated their metrics. They don't have a single series win against a RPI top 25 team. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They beat us on a Tuesday in college station.  We started nico O’Donnell. What does that win prove?

Sawyer and McGuire closing out a Big 12 title could not be a better summation of this team. Two guys that weren't even on the roster last year and by most accounts both were pretty much done with baseball. 

This roster is kind of a group of misfits that keeps finding a way to win games. 

• Like 2

Congratulations Texas Longhorn fans.

Your team has kept developing and has found its stride right into the Big XII Championship.

Keep on making work.  Not done yet...

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Their best series wins are #27 RPI Miss State (2-1) and #45 LSU (2-1). Next best series win is #79 RPI Alabama. 

They have very few good series wins. Miss State is about their only decent series win on the resume. 

aggy built their resume by stacking wins against shit teams in non-conference and then the SEC schedule inflated their metrics. They don't have a single series win against a RPI top 25 team. 

exactly.  if the metric of losing to good teams(regardless of in or out of conference) is important enough for aggy to get in, we should be a top 8 seed. 

Guest Lobo

I think the best case scenario for the biggest RPI boost, and subsequently move farther up the seeding foodchain (obviously we'll host a regional and likely can't play our way into a National 8 seed, but we can get as favorable a #2 seed here as possible as well as be opposite a lower national seed for Supers (#5-#8).  

So obviously beat Kansas, but then setup to play Oklahoma three times.  Beat them thursday to avoid the losers bracket then split the next two to advance from our side of the bracket.  That's 3 quality games against a Top 30 RPI team.  3-1 from our side of the bracket, 40-19 overall.  Then beat Texas Tech in the championship game, who has the highest overall RPI of any team in our league or within several hundred miles of us.  We get rewarded with a very favorable bracket here in Austin and a reasonable chance at hoping a weaker national seed gets knocked off opposite of us (as was the case last year) and gets us to host another Super Regional here at home.  I don't want to go 2-1 versus Oklahoma in OKC, but it'd help the seeding situation.  

We're hosting next weekend.  It's a lock.  Make plans accordingly.

Guest Lobo

Surly pre-game tailgate for Saturday/Sunday then?  

Or a meetup at nearby Sour Duck Market (3 blocks east of Disch-Falk Field)?  Haven't tried the food yet but the patio is massive, 2 bars with A/C, and impressive prices for an impressive beer/cocktail selection.  

We haven't hosted a regional in so long, but I'm pretty sure it still follows the #1 host seed playing starting around 6:00/6:30p local time on Friday, same on Saturday.  Sunday is where it started to get convoluted.