2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Speaking of aggy their '18 recruiting class is going to get decimated by the draft. 

They have 5 top 100 recruits per Perfect Game and I bet none make it to campus. Grayson Rodriguez, Noah Naylor, Jonathan Childress, Mason Englert, Joseph Menefee, Hunter Watson, and Brandon Birdsell have all been in a lot of the top prospects I've seen released by publications. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Here's the top 100 prospects released by MLB.com. Unless I missed someone I don't see any Longhorn players or '18 signees on this list. 

Anyone have access to the Perfect Game top 350 prospects or BA's top 500 prospects? 

The only two recruits I've seen on any Top 100 lists are Simeon Woods-Richardson and Bryce Reagan. 

Horns up to #12 in D1 Baseball poll: https://d1baseball.com/rankings/d1baseball-top-25-rankings-may-21/

Rank Team Overall Record Record Last Week Previous Rank
1 florida.pngFlorida 41-15 0-3 1
2 oregonst.pngOregon State 42-9-1 4-1 2
3 stanford.pngStanford 43-8 4-0 3
4 olemiss.pngOle Miss 42-14 3-1 5
5 unc.pngNorth Carolina 37-17 3-1 7
6 clemson.pngClemson 43-13 4-0 8
7 georgia.pngGeorgia 37-17 2-1 16
8 arkansas.pngArkansas 37-17 1-2 6
9 floridast.pngFlorida State 39-17 2-1 11
10 ncstate.pngNC State 40-14 1-2 4
11 minnesota.pngMinnesota 37-13 3-0 12
12 texas.pngTexas 37-18 4-0 17
13 stetson.pngStetson 41-11 1-0 13
14 smiss.pngSouthern Miss 39-15 3-1 14
15 txtech.pngTexas Tech 38-15 3-0 15
16 ecarolina.pngEast Carolina 39-15 2-2 9
17 duke.pngDuke 39-14 1-2 10
18 ucla.pngUCLA 35-17 4-1 18
19 tntech.pngTennessee Tech 46-7 2-1 20
20 coastcar.pngCoastal Carolina 38-17 2-1 21
21 houston.pngHouston 33-21 2-1 22
22 uconn.pngConnecticut 32-18-1 2-2 23
23 scarolina.pngSouth Carolina 32-22 2-1 25
24 auburn.pngAuburn 37-19 2-2 NR
25 vandy.pngVanderbilt 31-24 4-0 NR

Guest Lobo

There's some dangerous #2 seeds in that mix that could be sent to Austin---So. Miss, Tenn. Tech, and Houston.  I'm guessing A&M as a weak #2 or strong #3 gets sent to Lubbock.  NCAA goes out of their way to make sure we don't play each other for several years after the Big XII departure, I could see them thinking this was a quaint idea.  I don't mind playing 'em at this time of year, but their obnoxious fanbase will ruin what could otherwise be a fucking fantastic weekend next week at the Disch.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There's some dangerous #2 seeds in that mix that could be sent to Austin---So. Miss, Tenn. Tech, and Houston.  I'm guessing A&M as a weak #2 or strong #3 gets sent to Lubbock.  NCAA goes out of their way to make sure we don't play each other for several years after the Big XII departure, I could see them thinking this was a quaint idea.  I don't mind playing 'em at this time of year, but their obnoxious fanbase will ruin what could otherwise be a fucking fantastic weekend next week at the Disch.  

You would have loved the 2014 regional when the NCAA paired us with aggy in Houston.  It was epic.  Horns go up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, that's not surprising.  Last week UF was #1 and Stanford was #3.  UF went 0-3 against Mississippi State (following a loss to UGA) while Stanford went 4-0 against BYU & Wazoo (following a win over Oregon State).  Neither school budged in the rankings.

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There's some dangerous #2 seeds in that mix that could be sent to Austin---So. Miss, Tenn. Tech, and Houston..  

USM is legit. They can gorilla with anyone (Wallner is fucking ridiculous) and they've got Sandlin back from injury. Very dangerous team. 

Guest Lobo

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

Rather curious projection has us as a #2 seed at Arkansas who they have as a national #7 seed.  I realize geography plays a role, but they're basically saying not only are we not host-worthy...but we're in the bottom half or so (maybe a tad above) of the #2 seeds nationwide as well.  We could still shit the bed in OKC and go 0-2 and give them the excuse they need to take a regional away from Texas and leave the Lone Star State with just one host site.  But shit, even the SEC gurus are pontificating that if Texas were to pickup 4 wins in OKC, a national #8 seed wouldn't be out of the question.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Rather curious projection has us as a #2 seed at Arkansas who they have as a national #7 seed.  I realize geography plays a role, but they're basically saying not only are we not host-worthy...but we're in the bottom half or so (maybe a tad above) of the #2 seeds nationwide as well.  We could still shit the bed in OKC and go 0-2 and give them the excuse they need to take a regional away from Texas and leave the Lone Star State with just one host site.  But shit, even the SEC gurus are pontificating that if Texas were to pickup 4 wins in OKC, a national #8 seed wouldn't be out of the question.  

I think if we win the big 12 tourney it should bump us up to a super host

5 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

You would have loved the 2014 regional when the NCAA paired us with aggy in Houston.  It was epic.  Horns go up!

Fuck yes it was. First pitch of the entire regional, Brooks Marlow sent it bouncing down Rice Blvd. Saturday game delayed several hours by rain and then went into extras. Started drinking at Woodrow's at 3 for a 5:30 first pitch that happened at like 9:30. 

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Absolute madness, and worthy of a sternly worded open letter if it became true.  Champion of the #2 conference in the country deserves (at a minimum) to host a regional, and one could argue that top 8 isn't even out of the question.

Guest Lobo

I've never heard of them until this year but they pop up rather quickly when you enter "college baseball tournament projections" or "NCAA baseball bracket" or anything legit like that.  I still read D1, Baseball America, et. al.  But they had a relatively high-up result.

#fakebaseballnews

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Absolute madness, and worthy of a sternly worded open letter if it became true.  Champion of the #2 conference in the country deserves (at a minimum) to host a regional, and one could argue that top 8 isn't even out of the question.

Back in the day it was:

win the big 12 reg season - top 8 National seed.

win both reg season and tournament - top 4 or 5 seed

Granted, in the 2000s the conference also had Nebraska and a&m and a good baylor team to bolster the conference’s rpi  along with Missouri from time to time

As far as this year goes, Texas could go 0-2 in the tournament, and they’re still well within hosting status, despite my prognostication after inning 1 of Friday ¯\_( ツ)_/¯ 

Should’ve believed more

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness

GAINESVILLE   GREENVILLE
1 Florida* (1)   1 East Carolina (16)
4 Hartford*   4 UNC Greensboro*

3 UCF   3 Ohio State
2 Jacksonville   2 Coastal Carolina*

STANFORD   NORWICH
1 Stanford* (2)   1 UConn (15)
4 Canisius*   4 Bryant*

3 Northeastern*   3 St. John's*
2 Oklahoma State   2 Vanderbilt

CORVALLIS   RALEIGH
1 Oregon State (3)   1 NC State (14)
4 Nevada*   4 Campbell*

3 Texas A&M   3 Illinois
2 Indiana   2 South Carolina

ATHENS   MINNEAPOLIS
1 Georgia* (4)   1 Minnesota (13)
4 Wright State*   4 Kent State*

3 Purdue   3 Washington
2 Duke   2 Louisville

FAYETTEVILLE   AUSTIN
1 Arkansas (5)   1 Texas* (12)
4 Oral Roberts*   4 Pepperdine*

3 Missouri State*   3 Cal State Fullerton*
2 Oklahoma   2 Houston*

CHAPEL HILL   DELAND
1 North Carolina* (6)   1 Stetson* (11)
4 North Carolina A&T*   4 Yale*

3 Kentucky   3 LSU
2 Tennessee Tech*   2 South Florida

OXFORD   TALLAHASSEE
1 Ole Miss (7)   1 Florida State (10)
4 Army*   4 Saint Louis*

3 Baylor   3 Florida Atlantic
2 Southern Miss*   2 Mississippi State

LUBBOCK   CLEMSON
1 Texas Tech (8)   1 Clemson (9)
4 Texas Southern*   4 Grand Canyon*

3 Dallas Baptist   3 Sam Houston State*
2 UCLA   2 Auburn

https://d1baseball.com/projections/projected-field-of-64-may-21/

Edited by torre

Also,  good info on today's chat discussing Texas, A&M, and TCU.

Miguel — I feel pretty good about the Longhorns hosting to say the least. They’re a lock. Conference champs, Top 15 RPI — Texas is closer to being a national seed at this point than not being a host at all, I’d say. Keep an eye on UT in the national seed mix if it rolls through the conference tourney

https://d1baseball.com/chats/top-25-chat-may-21/

The 2002 Super Regional in Austin with Cougar High was also epic.  Their fans just knew it was over after they won Game 1.

I taunted the hell out of them that series. Was a different time and I was a different person. That was a great run though.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Speaking of aggy their '18 recruiting class is going to get decimated by the draft. 

They have 5 top 100 recruits per Perfect Game and I bet none make it to campus. Grayson Rodriguez, Noah Naylor, Jonathan Childress, Mason Englert, Joseph Menefee, Hunter Watson, and Brandon Birdsell have all been in a lot of the top prospects I've seen released by publications. 

What a shame......

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseball-projected-field-of-64-52218/

PROJECTED FIELD OF 64
Gainesville, FL Durham, NC
1. (1) Florida^* 1. (16) Duke^
2. Missouri State* 2. Auburn
3. Troy 3. Purdue
4. Hartford* 4. UNC Greensboro*
Stanford, CA Conway, SC
1. (2) Stanford^* 1. (15) Coastal Carolina^*
2. Vanderbilt 2. Connecticut
3. Northeastern* 3. Oklahoma
4. Grand Canyon* 4. Kent State
Athens, GA Raleigh, NC
1. (3) Georgia^ 1. (14) North Carolina State^
2. Ohio State 2. East Carolina
3. Washington 3. St. John's
4. Yale* 4. Wagner*
Chapel Hill, NC Deland, FL
1. (4) North Carolina^* 1. (13) Stetson^*
2. South Carolina 2. South Florida
3. Illinois 3. Florida Atlantic
4. North Carolina A&T* 4. Wright State*
Corvallis, OR Minneapolis, MN
1. (5) Oregon State^ 1. (12) Minnesota^*
2. Mississippi State 2. Louisville
3. Cal State Fullerton* 3. Louisiana State
4. Pepperdine* 4. Nevada*
Oxford, MS Austin, TX
1. (6) Mississippi^ 1. (11) Texas ^*
2. Southern Mississippi* 2. Indiana
3. Baylor 3. Houston*
4. Canisius* 4. Texas Southern*
Fayetteville, Ark. Tallahassee, FL
1. (7) Arkansas^ 1. (10) Florida State^
2. Oklahoma State 2. Jacksonville
3. Sam Houston State* 3. Central Florida
4. Oral Roberts* 4. Army*
Clemson, SC Lubbock, TX
1. (8) Clemson^ 1. (9) Texas Tech^
2. Tennessee Tech* 2. UCLA
3. Kentucky 3. Dallas Baptist
4. Campbell* 4. Saint Louis*
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I was there. Those fuckers were obnoxious. It was glorious to see them tuck tail. 

The Aggie fans talked just an unbelievable amount of shit just as the first game started. Then as soon as any Texas fans gave anything back to them, they started with the whole "show some class" bullshit. They really are the worst people in college sports.

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 3

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Kansas throwing RHP Jackson Goddard tomorrow. He was hurt when we played them.  I predict pain.

That fucking Okie-goon?  He's a fucking disaster, almost as if they're stacking their rotation to just give up the first game and come back outta the loser's bracket.  

When Jackson's parents sat him down at the foot of his bed to tell him that it wasn't his fault that Kansas AD Zenger got fired...they were lying.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That fucking Okie-goon?  He's a fucking disaster, almost as if they're stacking their rotation to just give up the first game and come back outta the loser's bracket.  

Actually,  he pitched well during his last two Friday starts against KState and OU.    They probably consider him their best option even though he threw 120 pitches against OU last Friday.    Lot of pitches for a college pitcher on 4 days rest.

Why in the world did Kansas play a random midweek type game against Western Illinois on Sunday? Was it previously rained out or something? 

That's probably a big reason they are throwing Goddard again on short rest. They probably had to use their midweek type arms in that Western Illinois game. 

6 hours ago, torre said:

Actually,  he pitched well during his last two Friday starts against KState and OU.    They probably consider him their best option even though he threw 120 pitches against OU last Friday.    Lot of pitches for a college pitcher on 4 days rest.

Pitched on Thursday but that's still a short rest for a college pitcher at 120 pitches. 

Goddard is decent when he's throwing strikes, but sometimes he can't find the zone at all. Hopefully we are patient at the plate because with the short rest it's likely we can get a lot of free bases.