Spain

iodeac

Wife and I have never been to Spain before and this year is our 15th anniversary. There are a ton of travel packages and choices of cities to visit, so we're trying to narrow down what we want to do. Any suggestions on where we should spend most of our time, or what if any places to avoid?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It depends on where you're flying into, and how long you're staying.  But if you're flying into Madrid, stay there for a few days in Plaza Santa Anna.  There are three or four really nice and reasonably priced hotels.  Then, I'd rent a car at the Atocha Train station, and head to Granada.  Stay there for two nights, walk through the Albicin, and definitely go see the Alhambra.  From there, head south to Ronda, and check out the Plaza del Toros.  After Ronda, hit up Segovia for a night, check out the Puente Romano, and eat dinner at El Duque.  Order the suckling pig, or go fuck yourself.  Then head to Sevilla, and check out the Catedral.  

If you're staying for more than a week, then from Sevilla, you could head up north to Valencia for a few nights, and then Barcelona.  

In Madrid, go to the Vinoteca in Plza Santa Anna, and ask for Richard or Alexi, they'll take care of you.

In Granada, go to Bar Antigua 1 for tapas, and ask for Alfredo.  The Chupeteria, ask for Ismael.  And El Estribo, ask for Jorge.

In Ronda, grab drinks on the patio of the Puente Hotel, over looking the cliff and river, ask for Priscilla.

In Sevilla, the bar names escape me, but anything near the Catedral will get you sorted out.

Barcelona, head over to the Cathedral, take a picture, and then head to Ramblas.  The bars over there are plentiful, and are on every corner.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a trip in '10 to Madrid.  Stayed in the Roommate Hotel Plaza Santa Ana.  Used Madrid as the base of operations and did several day trips - El Escorial, Segovia, Toledo.  Went to the bullfights, watched a lot of futbol (it was during the Mundial), and hit up all of the major museums in the city.  One of the lesser-trafficked museums is the Museo de las Americas, where they keep the plunder of the empire.  It's up to you whether you want to do the cross-country adventure or keep it local and live like a Madrileno for a bit.  We chose the latter, and while I'd still like to see Granada, it worked out great for us.  

• 1 year later...

We had to cancel our trip to Spain in May of 2020.

I have now booked flights in and out of Madrid direct from Miami for May of 2022.  We'll have 20 full days in Spain.  Our previous itinerary was Madrid for a night to decompress then Barcelona-Valencia-Mallorca-Seville-Madrid for a night then home.  I think we'll look to do something similar.

Amex had Iberia Avios at 1000 MR:1400 Avios.  Business class is 42500 Avios each way.  For about 121000 MR points I got my business class tickets.  Love the pod for the ride across the Atlantic.

I'm psyched to plan the trip.  It was a huge disappointment last May when we had to cancel.  I ended up losing 300000 AeroMexico miles on that one as we were starting the trip with a weekend in Mexico City.

• Like 1