Discriminated man continues to be discriminated against

Wally Fairway

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

There's a new invention call the smart phone. Along with it is another marvel called the banking app. Get this...it allows you to deposit a check from your phone. All you need to do is to open the app, take a picture of the front and back of the check, tap a few keys, and holy shit, the check is deposited. And another amazing thing, you do not have to deal with dipshit tellers. Fucking AMAZING.

Doesn't excuse the treatment this dude received but holy hell, I avoid having to deal with customer service people any chance I get. They mostly differ on the degree of shittiness.

The banking apps I've found won't take checks larger than $10-15k.  Have to go to the branch for those.

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

The story at face value doesn't make sense to me. it went from 0 to 11 over nothing. 

Yeah, that's the point. The bank chose to escalate what could be innocent confusion on the bank's part by calling the police on this black guy. Maybe they do that all the time. Or maybe they do it more often with black people. Discovery will help illuminate the facts. The fact that Chase deposited the checks and did not call the police on the guy seriously undercuts the bank's position. 

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If this happens, they are required to alert authorities.  

Why did it supposedly happen at this bank but not Chase, which is a pretty large sophisticated institution that I imagine has similar safeguards in place. 

2 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Why did it supposedly happen at this bank but not Chase, which is a pretty large sophisticated institution that I imagine has similar safeguards in place. 

As stated, the article gives little in the means of detail on the second.  I question initially whether he tried to cash the $13K check at the second place.  Or whether other documentation was obtained at the second place (such as a wire transfer in lieu of a check - which you can call up and ask for).  Too many holes to know

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As stated, the article gives little in the means of detail on the second.  I question initially whether he tried to cash the $13K check at the second place.  Or whether other documentation was obtained at the second place (such as a wire transfer in lieu of a check - which you can call up and ask for).  Too many holes to know

That's fair. I agree the article is devoid of important details.  

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If this happens, they are required to alert authorities.  We also don't know if he requested the $13K all in cash @ Chase as he did initially.  Which is the big trigger I'm seeing here.  Nor do we know if more verification was provided at the second.  As mentioned.  Discovery could be telling.

It really isn't clear at all what happened on the bank's end. The story includes these allegations:

* The bank's computer systems were done an unable to verify the check;

* The bank's system identified the check as fraudulent because of a void mark;

* The bank's system identified the check as fraudulent because it didn't much payroll paychecks from Enterprise (wtf?)

* The person who was asked to verify the checks actually just called the police

The only people that is is clear made an effort to verify the checks were the police when they contacted Enterprise. Again, the fact that Chase handled it without problems moments later really suggests the bank fucked up. Whether it was discrimination or not, I obviously can't say. 

7 minutes ago, Zombie said:

That's fair. I agree the article is devoid of important details.  

And how many of these stories later turn out to be 100% horse shit?  Most of them?  So waiting to see whether the actual facts match the allegations is more prudent than ever.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And how many of these stories later turn out to be 100% horse shit?  Most of them?  So waiting to see whether the actual facts match the allegations is more prudent than ever.  

Are you new to the internet?  Read the article, form an opinion, be outraged, demand something, and then move on to something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You can rightly fuck off with your cloak room bullshit.  Go shit somewhere else.  

LOL - sorry I triggered you so easily. I have no idea what shitstorm goes on in CR, so don't paint me with that brush.
If CR is your thing, please keep your CR name calling in that cesspool

The best way to deny that racism exists is to require empirical evidence that it exists; do you really need data to understand that driving while black, banking while black and other racist acts still exist?
I haven't observed it, because I live in a small agricultural community and I work in a mid-size town but as an accounting professional I don't get to that side of the tracks very often; but that doesn't mean I don't believe it exists.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

The story at face value doesn't make sense to me. it went from 0 to 11 over nothing. the article notes his military service, but doesn't cover any conversation with the bank.  the important details are missing...

You've said this twice now and it's completely incorrect. The story discusses the conversation from both the complainant's and the bank's perspective. Both Thomas and his lawyer give his perspective and the TCF Bank spokesman gives the bank's perspective. Did you not actually read the article that you're accusing of being short on details?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

A couple of companies ago we got $6 million in venture capital. It was wired into our checking account and I needed to move most of it into savings. Wells Fargo website transfer box only allows 5 digits so I headed into the bank to make the transfer.

I went to the teller and said I need to transfer some money from checking to savings. She asked why I didn't do it online and I told her the problem. She asked how much I needed to transfer and I said $5.7 million. The look on her face was priceless. She said one moment and a guy came out of the back and took me to his office, offered me a coke, gave me two huge Wells Fargo stuffed horses for my kids and generally treated me like a king. A whole different world that I was not used to in a bank.

A few years later I was in a branch doing something and could see the persons screen. When she found me in her system it had big red letters at the top. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "BE SURE TO TAKE SPECIAL CARE OF THIS CUSTOMER". It was obviously a carry over from the time my company had those millions, because at that time the total amount in all of my accounts was probably less than $1000.

My brother worked at WF for awhile and told me my account is tagged similarly due to the money flowing in and out of my business checking. And it's nowhere near the number you threw out. It's not a number that I would even think to make a bank teller do a double take.

If only Vegas had such low standards for high roller status.

Edited by BradInATX

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

"Are you a member of our rewards program?"

"Can I get your zip code and phone number?"

"Would you like to sign up for our credit card?"

Meanwhile line stacks up behind me.  I was at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and the questions/upsell were endless.  I finally told the kid, "Just ring it up, this is rude to all these people" pointing to the 5 deep line standing behind me.

And, of course, he was the only register open. 

I just got back from lunch. I went to a food truck to order. While I was waiting on my order, I went into the coffee shop next door to get an iced tea. The guy asked me if I was a member of their rewards program.

"No."

Would I like to join?

"No."

All I need is an e-mail...

"No."

You can get a free coffee...

"No. Just get the tea please."

Infuriating.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

You've said this twice now and it's completely incorrect. The story discusses the conversation from both the complainant's and the bank's perspective. Both Thomas and his lawyer give his perspective and the TCF Bank spokesman gives the bank's perspective. Did you not actually read the article that you're accusing of being short on details?

Yes I read it, as I mentioned the military service slant by the article’s author.  There are critical details missing.  I’m sure they bother your centrist views on everything that the bank might not be in the wrong or the plaintiff might be full of shit.

thank you mister fucking slorch-watch motherfucking nothingelsetodobusybody.

59 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I just got back from lunch. I went to a food truck to order. While I was waiting on my order, I went into the coffee shop next door to get an iced tea. The guy asked me if I was a member of their rewards program.

"No."

Would I like to join?

"No."

All I need is an e-mail...

"No."

You can get a free coffee...

"No. Just get the tea please."

Infuriating.

It's like they just can't quite grasp the absolute fact that this shit ends up keeping people away.

"But, wait Cajun, you said the line behind you at Dick's was five deep Mr. Smart guy!"

Um, yeah, and the store was like a ghost town.  It was 5 deep because they only had one dude working the register and he was playing his little 82 question game.

I do everything in my power not to go into Best Buy, Academy, Dick's, anywhere in a mall, and now even 7Eleven because they're doing the "Are you a member of our rewards program?" crap when all I want is a Diet Dr. Pepper and a quick out.  I used to be in there everyday, but not no more.  They lost my soda addiction business, my fuel business for my car, truck, and boat, my kid's candy addiction business, on and on.  

Maybe the upside is just that much more for these fucks, but I sure as shit am not going to contribute to it and reward their shitty behavior.

And don't even get me started on the "Would you like to donate to blah blah blah..." cause when I'm swinging into XYZ convenience store to grab a pack of fucking gum. 

Between that and the mutherfucking Lottery Ticket/Scratch-off fucks monopolizing the counter they're INCONVENIENCE Stores.

Damn!  I gotta admit, that felt GOOOOOOD!!!

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

The appropriate action, obviously, is to get douchey with the kid making $7 an hour who will get fired if they don't ask the question, just really let them have it. 

Or just say no thanks and eat the extra 8 seconds the transaction took. 

• Like 1

We were all doomed when Radio Shack started asking for our name & address when you were just buying a pack of batteries.

I liked it when a "rewards program" was a a little paper card a place would give you and stamp it or punch it every time you ate lunch there until you qualify for a freebie. Not some app or internet account that's a backdoor way to harvest your personal info and monetize it.

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

A couple of companies ago we got $6 million in venture capital. It was wired into our checking account and I needed to move most of it into savings. Wells Fargo website transfer box only allows 5 digits so I headed into the bank to make the transfer.

I went to the teller and said I need to transfer some money from checking to savings. She asked why I didn't do it online and I told her the problem. She asked how much I needed to transfer and I said $5.7 million. The look on her face was priceless. She said one moment and a guy came out of the back and took me to his office, offered me a coke, gave me two huge Wells Fargo stuffed horses for my kids and generally treated me like a king. A whole different world that I was not used to in a bank.

A few years later I was in a branch doing something and could see the persons screen. When she found me in her system it had big red letters at the top. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "BE SURE TO TAKE SPECIAL CARE OF THIS CUSTOMER". It was obviously a carry over from the time my company had those millions, because at that time the total amount in all of my accounts was probably less than $1000.

So when you say "less than a $1000", you mean tree-fiddy?