Dallas | Butcher Shops

C-Man

I discussed The Meat Shop on Lovers on the OS. It’s still great — Rosewood Wagyu strip and ribeyes for $31-$32/lb. Also found out the other night if you give them enough advance notice they will even season, vacuseal and sous vide then for you at no charge.

• 1 month later...
Nice.  Too far for me, though.
I tend to stick with basics--Central Market, Rudolph's or the basic supermarket.
Anyone been to the newish place on Ross?  I keep meaning to go by there but I always seem to forget.

Yeah, heard about that one too. Not sure what it’s called, though.

It's been Central Market for me, with the occasional stop at Rudolph's.

But Cooper Meat Market just opened in Sylvan 30.  The son of the family who opened Coopers in San Antonio 20 years ago lives in Oak Cliff, so he opened this one.

If it works out, there will be one less reason for me to ever go north of the Trinity.  I bought some choice filets there a couple of weeks ago.  They were on the expensive side, but in the ballpark.  They were butchered to order and all eight were nice (nothing to tie up or anything).  The cooked up well and everyone was pleased.  But, the prices for prime and Akauushi (whatever the hell that is) are pretty crazy.   The whole operation is nicely set up.  They have a chef that has worked at steakhouses to grill up the meat for you if you want to eat there (very simple, not fancy set up so it's not a real steakhouse experience).  Lots of sides and pre-made food for parties available too.   I hope they can generate enough traffic or get restaurant sales to they stick around.  Good addition to the North Oak Cliff scene.

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

It's been Central Market for me, with the occasional stop at Rudolph's.

But Cooper Meat Market just opened in Sylvan 30.  The son of the family who opened Coopers in San Antonio 20 years ago lives in Oak Cliff, so he opened this one.

If it works out, there will be one less reason for me to ever go north of the Trinity.  I bought some choice filets there a couple of weeks ago.  They were on the expensive side, but in the ballpark.  They were butchered to order and all eight were nice (nothing to tie up or anything).  The cooked up well and everyone was pleased.  But, the prices for prime and Akauushi (whatever the hell that is) are pretty crazy.   The whole operation is nicely set up.  They have a chef that has worked at steakhouses to grill up the meat for you if you want to eat there (very simple, not fancy set up so it's not a real steakhouse experience).  Lots of sides and pre-made food for parties available too.   I hope they can generate enough traffic or get restaurant sales to they stick around.  Good addition to the North Oak Cliff scene.

I can't believe that guy has a kid old enough but then again, Cooper did go to Baylor. He was a pledge brother of my best friend from HS. Cooper Body, I think, was his name.

I think there's a new meat market in downtown that somebody was telling me about. I don't think it was the Commissary but that might be it. I walked over there week before last for a sandwich and to take a look around. Neat place but it's as much restaurant as it is full-service meat market.

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, bigcigar said:

Costco?

I live near Dallas Deep Cuts and like it quite a bit. It has a bit of a hipster vibe, but the owner knows his stuff and has great products. 

Ha...show me a food industry place that doesn't have a bit of a hipster vibe these days.  I've grown to be okay with it though.  I think 5-ish years ago, the hipster restaurant worker tried way too hard to show you how much they didn't give a fuck about anything.  Today, even they know that acting like that in a service driven industry won't get you very far.  I've had some amazing service from a lot of hipsters lately and that didn't used to be the case.  The few that I encounter now who still think they need to work really hard at proving to me how few fucks they give...I don't have to work nearly as hard to show them how few tips I give.

Ha...show me a food industry place that doesn't have a bit of a hipster vibe these days.  I've grown to be okay with it though.  I think 5-ish years ago, the hipster restaurant worker tried way too hard to show you how much they didn't give a fuck about anything.  Today, even they know that acting like that in a service driven industry won't get you very far.  I've had some amazing service from a lot of hipsters lately and that didn't used to be the case.  The few that I encounter now who still think they need to work really hard at proving to me how few fucks they give...I don't have to work nearly as hard to show them how few tips I give.

Rudolph’s.

• 1 year later...
I'm planning to smoke some ribs tomorrow.  Live in Old East Dallas, so thinking I'll head to Rudolph's.  Is that necessary for ribs, or going to overpay unnecessarily so just go to Central Market?

Hell just go to Kroger.

Rudolph’s closes early on Saturday so if you went I hope you went before 1.

• 3 months later...