Black Texas teen told to cut his dreadlocks to walk at graduation

purplepride95

I generally agree that the rule is fucking stupid and they should let this go, but it is worth noting that the policy prohibits all males from having hair beyond a certain length.  Now, if they are only enforcing it against this kid, then there's a race-specific complaint, but if all males at the school are similarly treated, then this seems like a weak case to elevate as an example of racial bias.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes and no.

If they are enforcing it against all boys, then that may make it seem unbiased.  BUT, when a policy - even (and especially) when "neutrally" applied - has a strong disparate impact on a minority class, that can be a racist policy.

For example, imagine a policy that bans all tattoos, visible or not.  Seems neutral.  But if the school has several polynesian students who genuinely believe and practice their ancestral faith, tattoos are a part of that.  So the policy, while neutral, has a disparate impact on polynesian males.  

Dreadlocks on a black male may be an iffier proposition (there is likely not a religious component), but it's still a culturally significant/important expression (and it is in his case, being Trinidadian).  Of course, then the dirty hippie next door could argue the same thing about his unkempt blond mane.  So, it's not always an easy call.

But the kid appears to be a good kid, and most importantly, they CHANGED the code on him.  He'd complied with the previous version by putting his hair up.  They should either go back to that version, or grandfather in a student who grew his hair out under the old code.

Short version: dumbass rigid rules lead to dumbass results.

What are you, some kind of lawyer? lol good explanation 

When schools threaten to not let you walk at graduation is that threat you can't graduate or you can't come to the ceremony and we'll just mail you your diploma?  I know graduation ceremonies are for the parents and family, but I would be quite happy to not have to watch my now 9 year old twins HS graduation ceremony.  Not that the wife will give me that option though.

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

When schools threaten to not let you walk at graduation is that threat you can't graduate or you can't come to the ceremony and we'll just mail you your diploma?  I know graduation ceremonies are for the parents and family, but I would be quite happy to not have to watch my now 9 year old twins HS graduation ceremony.  Not that the wife will give me that option though.

I'm sure it's just a policy for the ceremony. You'd think he'd be able to walk the stage with the same hair he was allowed to have while attending class. But I also didn't think there would be real people insisting on tearing down a playground built for a terminally ill child.  Cunts are everywhere. Huge, gaping cunts. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think it means you can't graduate

58 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I generally agree that the rule is fucking stupid and they should let this go, but it is worth noting that the policy prohibits all males from having hair beyond a certain length.  Now, if they are only enforcing it against this kid, then there's a race-specific complaint, but if all males at the school are similarly treated, then this seems like a weak case to elevate as an example of racial bias.

Maybe not racial bias, though Brisket is right about disparate impact.  But it's definitely sex/gender discrimination if it only applies to males.  

37 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I’d have been thrilled to have a legit excuse to not walk. I tried to skip it in HS, but my mom wouldn’t let me. I skipped graduation at UT to play in a flag football tournament.

17 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I'm sure it's just a policy for the ceremony. You'd think he'd be able to walk the stage with the same hair he was allowed to have while attending class. But I also didn't think there would be real people insisting on tearing down a playground built for a terminally ill child.  Cunts are everywhere. Huge, gaping cunts. 

My thoughts exactly.  

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

You’ll “graduate”, but you just can’t walk the stage/come to ceremony.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You’ll “graduate”, but you just can’t walk the stage/come to ceremony.

Would have been happy as a lark not to have to do the ceremony...

Young man should get to walk if he wants to though...

Edited by Iceman

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

When I was accepted into UT, it was with the stipulation that I had to attend summer school right away. I was already a week or two into the summer semester at UT when my high school graduation was happening.

Anyway, I skipped the shit out of that and decided to continue on with my newfound freedom in Austin. My parents, on the other hand, weren’t thrilled. 

But yeah, graduation ceremonies are just that. Ceremonies.They’ll mail your diploma.

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

When I was accepted into UT, it was with the stipulation that I had to attend summer school right away. I was already a week or two into the summer semester at UT when my high school graduation was happening.

Anyway, I skipped the shit out of that and decided to continue on with my newfound freedom in Austin. My parents, on the other hand, weren’t thrilled. 

But yeah, graduation ceremonies are just that. Ceremonies.They’ll mail your diploma.

You talkin' ScoPro?

That's how I rolled biotch!

For heaven's sake, it's just hair. When I've parked my rear in a seat for a high school graduation, that has been the last thing I've care about. What a bunch of self important nincompoops. I can certainly get behind a dress code regarding attire somewhat, but hair? Specifically hair for young men? Who cares? That's between the student and his/her parents. Apparently the District is bristling that outsiders are criticizing their policy. Well, tough nuggets, District spokesperson. I suppose the Board is free to set policy, but everyone else is sure as heck free to comment upon it.

More importantly, at graduation one should be watching whomever or whatever one is there to watch. The graduate, the underclassman who got bumped up to Varsity Choir to sing, the beach ball that was smuggled in now being batted around. One should be listening to the superintendent of schools drone on, knowing that 98% (perhaps a lower percentage in small districts) of the people don't know who the hell he/she is. One should be paying attention to the selected speaker from the graduating class to listen for how many sentences they cop from Reese Witherspoon's Legally Blonde speech. One should be strategically avoiding the idiots with air horns so as to retain the ability to hear. One should also be elbowing spouse prior to the conclusion so as to get the heck out of there before traffic is a nightmare.

But hair? Get out of here with that nonsense Barbers Hill.

15 hours ago, Chooky said:

I'm sure it's just a policy for the ceremony. You'd think he'd be able to walk the stage with the same hair he was allowed to have while attending class. 

Not according to the original article (but who reads those?):

His mother, Sandy Arnold, said after Christmas break, three months before graduation, the Barbers Hill Independent School District changed its dress code as it refers to hair. Now the rules stipulate "hair must be clean and well groomed" and not extend on male students, at any time, below the eyebrows, the ear lobes or the top of a T-shirt collar — including when let down.

"They say that even though my hair is up and I follow all of the regulations, that if it was down, it would be out of dress code," DeAndre Arnold told KPRC. "Not that I'm out of dress code, but if I was to take it down, I would be out of dress code, which doesn't make any sense. I don't take it down at school."

Sandy Arnold said that, as a result of the rule change, her son is not allowed in school and can't attend graduation until he complies with the dress code.

More details:

Principal Horovitz - I'll kick you out of my school if you don't CUT THAT HAIR!

Fuck those who think it's necessary for this kid to cut his hair.

And fuck those who want to turn this into a "whitey/slave" thing. 

If this goes to court I hope the kid wins. I mean Jesus, what's the big deal? Yeah, the school admin are probably dumb, white, rednecks. But, imo, keep the defense on the kid's "rights".