I can't wait to start my private but publically funded School for Satanists and Devil Worshippers

High Plains Drifter

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOL. Blanket statements like this are fucking stupid. But I am sure that you are totally tuned in to the scientific curriculum at private schools like St. Andrew's, for example, and can compare and contrast their science curriculum and experiential academic opportunities to AISD broadly as a public school example. 

Well my wife's public school teacher in NE Texas refused to teach evolution.  They just skipped that part.   I suppose Catholic schools and Episcopalian would do well on the sciences.  But my nieces' fundy private baptist school sure didn't do them a world of good.  They taught them debunked lies, half-truths, and outright inconsistent bullshit.  It is forced indoctrination.  One of them aspires to attending Liberty University.  

Edited by Nivek

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I actually knew a Kendra Lopez once.  Lopez, Espinoza, Garcia, cualquier.

knew or knew.  The second is forgivable as you were hitting the highlight reel.

Edited by Nivek

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

As a defender of religious liberty with little use for fundagelicals, I am of little doubt that there are some smaller schools of more recent vintage that teach some fucked up, repugnant shit.

But there are also a whole slate of religiously affiliated schools that teach a rigorous scientific curriculum and always have.  Like all the Jesuit schools, for example.

I attended an austin-based private school, associated with a fairly repugnant theology from my perspective, for most of elementary school and one year during high school. I also attended a public school junior high magnet program and a public AISD high school. The science education in the private school far exceeded the public school challenge. I honestly don't remember how evolution/creationism was approached with any of them.  But I distinctly remember the challenge of the chemistry and math classes at the private HS level far exceeding what I was provided in the public school curriculum. I didn't really get pressed further on those particular disciplines until well into undergrad. 

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well my wife's public school teacher in NE Texas refused to teach evolution.  They just skipped that part.   I suppose Catholic schools and Episcopalian would do well on the sciences.  But my nieces' fundy private baptist school sure didn't do them a world of good.  They taught them debunked lies, half-truths, and outright inconsistent bullshit.  It is forced indoctrination.  One of them aspires to attending Liberty University.  

I was exposed to a lot of right out heresy.  We had a biblical prophecy class.  That was where I learned how outright heretical most of that shit was. Other than that, I don't recall much in the way of bleed over into the hard sciences, math, social studies, etc. 

Edited by Anastasis

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, every slapdick church in some strip mall is going to start a school.

I probably have a 100 around me.  I told my neighborhood council enough is enough when people started to convert their bungalows into churches.  They made a few homes take down their signs.  It's lunacy.  

Edited by Mdhorn

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I probably have a 100 around me.  I told my neighborhood council enough is enough when people started to convert their bungalow into churches.  They made a few homes take down their signs.  It's lunacy.  

I hope you also didn't sue 'em to take down their backyard playscapes. /s

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Only if they become crosses.  BTW, I live next to peace cross which I didn't want taken down.  

A 40-foot cross that honors 49 fallen World War I soldiers from Prince George’s County stands at the busy intersection of Bladensberg and Annapolis roads and Baltimore Avenue February 28 in Bladensburg, Maryland.

I vaguely remember that case. At the time I was so virulently anti-religion, I wanted then to take it down but I've mellowed in my age.

Btw, why does it have a bag over its head?

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I was exposed to a lot of right out heresy.  We had a biblical prophecy class.  That was where I learned how outright heretical most of that shit was. Other than that, I don't recall much in the way of bleed over into the hard sciences, math, social studies, etc. 

HPB?

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

I grew up in the western part of the panhandle of Texas in a town with 1 high school and 1 biology teacher.  My honors biology teacher got to the chapter on Evolution and said "as you know, I'm a Christian and so I don't believe in this. Therefore we're going to skip ahead to the next chapter."  That was the sum total of my public high school education on evolution. Also, fun fact, she and I went to the same church.

42 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I grew up in the western part of the panhandle of Texas in a town with 1 high school and 1 biology teacher.  My honors biology teacher got to the chapter on Evolution and said "as you know, I'm a Christian and so I don't believe in this. Therefore we're going to skip ahead to the next chapter."  That was the sum total of my public high school education on evolution. Also, fun fact, she and I went to the same church.

That's really mind-bottling.  It's not like evolution needs a lot of explaining and class time.  I wonder how many people read the chapter anyway?

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I caution not to pre-judge an outcome based on the oral argument alone. Sometimes justices are hardest on the side they favor. 

Very true, but I think blanket prohibitions like this are very likely unconstitutional because they guarantee unequal treatment of religiously affiliated private schools if the lege should deign to fund any private schools.

I mean, why did Blaine think we needed to amend the Constitution in 1870 if that were not the case.  Granting that religious liberty constitutional jurisprudence wasn't that developed then.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Same exact experience but I grew up in the Permian Basin.

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are in Texas, where Catholics are the largest group.  Abbott is a Catholic, but I'm sure Dannie Goeb and all the other Republican evangelical types will be cool with dumping a bunch of taxpayer money into Catholic schools.

Based on my experience with Catholic and public school educated people, this seems like a great idea. On the whole, a Catholic education is far superior to a public school education. This includes science education, particularly in Texas.

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

Based on my experience with Catholic and public school educated people, this seems like a great idea. On the whole, a Catholic education is far superior to a public school education. This includes science education, particularly in Texas.

If the Jesuits are involved then yes, most of the other orders (UND as a rare and fantastic exception) are just as backwards as most Baptists and Christian Scientists.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If the Jesuits are involved then yes, most of the other orders (UND as a rare and fantastic exception) are just as backwards as most Baptists and Christian Scientists.  

As a La Salle Brothers educated young man (Cathedral High School shout out), as well as an unwilling participant in their reliance on corporal punishment, This is true...

In my DGAF 1960s public grade school, we had a lady who'd come around once in a while and tell us Bible stories with cut-out figures she'd place on a felt backdrop. I enjoyed the stories, because, how did that felt keep those figures from falling off? Also, and this was big, we got to draw pictures of anything we wanted to from the Bible. I drew this blood-splattered scene of Samson slaughtering a crowd of Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. I had him crackin skulls, and liftin one of em up by the neck Darth Vader style to emphasize the whallop.

I think the other kids mostly drew Jesus.

Then I was in Vacation Bible School over the summer, that rocked too. We studied the life of Moses, and- Hey! More picture drawing. The class was about half Baby Moses Floatin In The Basket, or Old Moses Partin The Red Sea. Not me! I did Medium-Age Moses Beating The Egyptian Slave-Driver To Death. Had him leanin into it, really whalin on the dude, who had one arm up, feebly, pre-total-collapse.

I think the teacher might have asked my mama about that one. But what, she gonna get mad because I listened in class?

By high school (again, public, do I look like some little prissy-ass lawyer's kid to you?) they'd switched it up to Greco-Roman Mythology. So much so that if we were failing that section we could go visit a nearby garden full of nekkit Greco-Roman statues of boys n shit and get extra credit. I wasn't havin it. I knew by then how they felt about gore pictures, and I'd gone through puberty. I got my extra credit by asking if I could draw gods and goddesses, so I turned in a picture of Hera with Great Big Titties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would have gone with Gideon tearing the flesh of the men of Sukkoth with thorns. 

Pubescent me would have rolled with Oholibah exposing herself and chasing after well-endowed Babylonians who shoot thick ropes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

/off topic/ I had an 8th grade history teacher who referred to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression and used “we” for the Confederacy, instead of - you know - America. 

War to Suppress Yankee Arrogance is the preferred nomenclature.

59 minutes ago, Mole said:

I would have gone with Gideon tearing the flesh of the men of Sukkoth with thorns. 

Pubescent me would have rolled with Oholibah exposing herself and chasing after well-endowed Babylonians who shoot thick ropes. 

Jesus, I must have skimmed that section.  You and me would've both enjoyed that section, though I think for different reasons.

• Like 1

I somehow can't help but think this is revenge legislation for so many states having to finally give up allowing gay conversion academies to exist.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I somehow can't help but think this is revenge legislation for so many states having to finally give up allowing gay conversion academies to exist.  

Well religion has always been about ‘round the clock, 24/7/365 con-jobbing...so yeah that’s probably right. 

“They won’t let us run con-job F? Fine, we’ll show them!!! We’re gonna run con-job G instead!!!”

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Cistercians would like a word.

Well if we're going to chat over their delicious beer, then I shall merrily attend.  If not, tell them I've nothing to say! 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Sidenote:  I was looking at the minimum Texas HS curriculum in another context.  The American History required is one semester, 1877 to present.  

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I think its one year of American History, but that year only covers 1877 to present.

One year = one credit.

One semester = 1/2 credit.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter074/ch074b.html

(4) Social studies--three credits. Two of the credits must consist of United States History Studies Since 1877 (one credit), United States Government (one-half credit), and Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits (one-half credit). The additional credit may be selected from the following courses:

(A) World History Studies; or

(B) World Geography Studies; or

(C) a comparable AP or IB world history or world geography course that does not count toward another credit required for graduation.

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think its one year of American History, but that year only covers 1877 to present.

One year = one credit.

One semester = 1/2 credit.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter074/ch074b.html

(4) Social studies--three credits. Two of the credits must consist of United States History Studies Since 1877 (one credit), United States Government (one-half credit), and Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits (one-half credit). The additional credit may be selected from the following courses:

(A) World History Studies; or

(B) World Geography Studies; or

(C) a comparable AP or IB world history or world geography course that does not count toward another credit required for graduation.

Fair enough.  Still odd to me, but cynically understandable, that it's 1877 to present.  Seems a full year is enough time to cover Colonial America to present.  It was for most of us and at UT and all the other state schools.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair enough.  Still odd to me, but cynically understandable, that it's 1877 to present.  Seems a full year is enough time to cover Colonial America to present.  It was for most of us and at UT and all the other state schools.

Inch deep mile wide or 2 inches deep 1/2 mile wide. TEA, or whoever decides these things, has selected the latter.