Wyoming visits Austin in 2023

The Virginian

Laramie, Wyo. (Jan. 23, 2020) --  The University of Wyoming and University of Texas athletics departments have agreed to play a single football game in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 16, 2023.  It will be the first meeting between the two teams since 2012.

The addition of Texas to Wyoming's 2023 schedule completes the Pokes' non-conference schedule for that season.  It will also be the second Big 12 opponent and the second opponent from the state of Texas that Wyoming will face in 2023. 

The Cowboys will open the 2023 season at home on Saturday, Sept. 2 when they will host the Texas Tech Red Raiders.  UW will host Portland State on Saturday, Sept. 9 followed by its lone non-conference road game in Austin versus the Texas Longhorns on Saturday, Sept. 16.  Wyoming will conclude its non-conference schedule at home against Appalachian State on Saturday, Sept. 23.

Wyoming and Texas will be meeting for the sixth time on the gridiron when they meet in 2023.  Of the previous five meetings, four have been played in Austin in 1974, 1978, 2010 and 2012.  The lone meeting played in Laramie came in 2009.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Texas schedules Texas State for 2026?  Tell me it ain't so!

Yup that’s aggie scheduling there...  They should be fcs still, they are like 13-43 in the terrible sunbelt conference.  Line will be like -45 lol. Atleast make our cupcakes la tech, Memphis ect quality.  

Edited by Hook1997

I doubt it's worthy of its own thread but I saw where Texas and Ohio State have swapped locations for their home-and-home in '25 and '26. Now they're playing in Columbus first instead of Austin. No idea why but it might have something to do with OSU's scheduled game at home against Washington in 2025. Maybe that's getting changed. I don't know. Anyone have any insight?

https://theozone.net/2020/01/ohio-state-texas-football-series/

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We did have a home & home series a few years ago, and the shaggy dudes who went up there had a good time in a beautiful setting, IIRC.

It was indeed. I also remember the Texas fan in front of me had a mole or something growing out of his neck that looked like a damn gourd. I took a pic, it’s somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yup that’s aggie scheduling there...  They should be fcs still, they are like 13-43 in the terrible sunbelt conference.  Line will be like -45 lol. Atleast make our cupcakes la tech, Memphis ect quality.  

Scheduling Memphis as a warmup for Ohio State would be rock stupid - they're consistently solid. Usually better than Maryland and a frequent landmine for P5 schools.

LaTech vs Texas State... does anyone really care?

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Scheduling Memphis as a warmup for Ohio State would be rock stupid - they're consistently solid. Usually better than Maryland and a frequent landmine for P5 schools.

LaTech vs Texas State... does anyone really care?

If we had Memphis scheduled In 2026 and lost to them before Ohio State, there are way bigger problems then scheduling.  The ten year skid would be going on twenty years.

14 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We did have a home & home series a few years ago, and the shaggy dudes who went up there had a good time in a beautiful setting, IIRC.

Lotta anti meth billboards up there

”Meth. Not even once.”

”No one dreams about losing their virginity in a truck stop restroom, but on meth you will.”

Went to that game in 2009 and it was a fucking blast.  Everybody in that town was incredibly gracious despite the fact we hadn't showered in two days.  

We have a few shitty home schedules in the coming years though, I hope somebody in the AD"s office is noticing that.  

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

we can afford it, demand for tickets will be through the roof-- the first post-COVID Texas football game??? people will be lined up for miles, although that will be partly because of the 15-foot mandatory Avoidance Halo 

Guest Lobo

The 2023 home schedule seems like it sucks:  Wyoming, Rice, Kansas, Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State (the last two will be good, but overall very meh)

2021 is the same home conf. slate (ugh) and Rice with Louisiana-Lafayette instead of Wyoming.  But at least the stadium will be finished.  

2022, 2024, and 2026 all look awesome though with great non-conf. opponents, the better lineup of Big XII teams, and a 7th home game bonus, so there's that

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

The 2023 home schedule seems like it sucks: 

Right now it's hit or miss, hit in the years the awesome OOC contest is played here, miss the years it's not. At least we have bluechip OOC opponents on the schedule. There were plenty of years from 09 through 15 where the best game was something like "Oklahoma State's almost in the Top Ten!" or "we haven't played Ole Miss in recent memory!"