Say it isn’t Izzo- 3 MSU basketball players allegedly raped female student in 2015

Goo Punch

I was just about to post about this on the football board - as that is where the MSU dumbfuckery thread was on tOld Board.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/09/suit-alleges-michigan-state-basketball-players-raped-woman/33686487/

Here is a link from a local paper about this incident, I am pissed that the MSU Counseling Center would handle these allegation in such a manner. What they are alluding to in the article is a culture on campus to "protect the brand", which is a huge problem that has brought resignation from the President and AD.

The article also provides a fairly good summary of items from the other incidents.

shit is so fucking sad, but DADS....implore your daughters....GO TO THE FUCKING POLICE IMMEDIATELY.....the schools have shown time and time again they will protect themselves first and the student second if at all.

I know situation is not that cut and dry, but a #speakup movement seems more important at this point than the #metoo movement.  The issue wouldn't be as bad today if this was preached.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

shit is so fucking sad, but DADS....implore your daughters....GO TO THE FUCKING POLICE IMMEDIATELY.....the schools have shown time and time again they will protect themselves first and the student second if at all.

I know situation is not that cut and dry, but a #speakup movement seems more important at this point than the #metoo movement.  The issue wouldn't be as bad today if this was preached.

I hate that I have to say it, but go to the State Police, or sheriff department, the closer you get to the local PD the more conflicts that potentially are involved. I've told my daughter to not call the campus PD, or even the city PD (she does not go to MSU, fwiw)

• Like 2

Sympathies to Spartans fans. Fingers crossed that Izzo wasn't in the loop but it doesn't look good.

I feel like these sort of horrible things could happen anywhere, at any university. Hope I'm wrong because if UT tried to cover up/facilitate a rapist on one of its athletic programs, it would probably be years before I gave a shit again, if ever.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That may work in some places. But you tell that to your daughter in Alabama raped by an Alabama football player and it won’t end well for her.  Local cops in a lot of places are just the same as university ones. 

I have been hesitant to read or respond. It's a really difficult situation to opine on as an alum. Very conflicted. You want to support the victims and believe the allegations and not try to bury your head in the sand but I still have a hard time wading deep into the facts of each one of these incidents as I have done and coming out thinking that Don Izzo is running a dirty program and actively covering up rapes and assaults. If his players have committed these acts that is disgusting enough but there still isn't a ton of fire to go with that smoke. Yet, it's really a matter of perception at this point and I don't see how his reputation can survive this regardless of what's real and what's not. 

In terms of this particular case, the girl did not visit the counselors for 8 days after the alleged incident took place. If they didn't fully inform her of her options or even worse discouraged her from pursuing the case that's awful and they and the U should pay the price. I think we'll find out what evidence there is there as this case unfolds. I can't see MSU settling as it would just encourage further lawsuits. However, we're not going to find out jack shit in terms of whether the alleged assault actually took place or not. No police report, no hospital visit, no evidence. I could easily see the counselors telling her that 8 days after the fact she wouldn't be able to prove much from a physical standpoint and that being misconstrued but that is just speculation. We shall see. Important to note that she is suing MSU because of the way the counselors advised her, not because of the incident itself. 

One thing I will say is NO MORE GANGBANGS YOU STUPID FUCKING KIDS. If I was a D1 coach I would tell my kids as long as you want to be a student athlete here, your sexual encounters are not to involve more than two people, and if I hear otherwise, Millhouse you're cut. 

On 4/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Baboontyme said:

I have been hesitant to read or respond. It's a really difficult situation to opine on as an alum. Very conflicted. You want to support the victims and believe the allegations and not try to bury your head in the sand but I still have a hard time wading deep into the facts of each one of these incidents as I have done and coming out thinking that Don Izzo is running a dirty program and actively covering up rapes and assaults. If his players have committed these acts that is disgusting enough but there still isn't a ton of fire to go with that smoke. Yet, it's really a matter of perception at this point and I don't see how his reputation can survive this regardless of what's real and what's not. 

In terms of this particular case, the girl did not visit the counselors for 8 days after the alleged incident took place. If they didn't fully inform her of her options or even worse discouraged her from pursuing the case that's awful and they and the U should pay the price. I think we'll find out what evidence there is there as this case unfolds. I can't see MSU settling as it would just encourage further lawsuits. However, we're not going to find out jack shit in terms of whether the alleged assault actually took place or not. No police report, no hospital visit, no evidence. I could easily see the counselors telling her that 8 days after the fact she wouldn't be able to prove much from a physical standpoint and that being misconstrued but that is just speculation. We shall see. Important to note that she is suing MSU because of the way the counselors advised her, not because of the incident itself. 

One thing I will say is NO MORE GANGBANGS YOU STUPID FUCKING KIDS. If I was a D1 coach I would tell my kids as long as you want to be a student athlete here, your sexual encounters are not to involve more than two people, and if I hear otherwise, Millhouse you're cut. 

What if I’m here for the gangbang?  What then?  

On 4/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Baboontyme said:

This is the tough thing.  As an alum and fanatic you basically have to shut up and let it unfold and take the harassment from other fanbases and possibly punishment that should/could be handed down on the program, coaches, & administrators.  I'm at the point now where I shut up and do not speculate.  I'll share rumors I've heard (carlton bragg @ KU) but I won't build on them or speculate on them until evidence comes out.  Then sometimes you have to chop off a leg to save the body.  It's unfortunate that this stuff happens on campus at all, and as a fan you are caught between a Duke lacrosse case and a penn state case anytime news breaks.  It could be bullshit (video evidence sent Bragg's accuser to jail) but it could be a 30 year systemic problem.

At some point, you think that certain coaches just can't possibly survive.  Calipari has for a long time but his misdeeds have always been with eligiblity.  The questions around KU players have always been quashed because even if we bring in a shady recruit if the heat gets too hot Self will sit them.  But crimes against people... damn.  How do you have effectively 3-5 alleged rapes over the last couple of years from guys on the basketball team and look at the coaches and say "do you not hear rumors on campus?  do you not question your guys on their activities?  do you not recruit good mormons??"  I'm absolutely shocked that Boeheim survived his ordeal but in the end at least one of the witnesses turned out to be a serial liar, iirc.  How long can izzo continue to run a team when he might still have the accused on the roster and he hasn't even addressed the situation?  

The saddest part about all of this is that when the rape stuff with Nassar first came out Izzo acted defiant and indifferent.  Which is the first impression we got on how he handles this stuff.  Is that a reflection on how he handles the behavior of his teams?  With how many allegations are out there I'm not sure how much more can be piled on before he stops getting the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Jhawk

• 1 month later...

Not basketball related, but not Nasar either; and I didn't want another MSU thread so I'll throw it in here.

Former MSU & Houston Texan wide receiver Keith Mumphrey is suing MSU for being improperly banned from campus following sexual assault charges. Mumphrey claims the charges are false and the investigation had an anti-male anti-athlete bias, which prevented him from completing his degree and effectively black-balled him from the NFL.

Separately, the female student is also suing MSU for allegedly allowing Mumphrey back on campus.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/22/michigan-state-football-keith-mumphery/635280002/

• 2 weeks later...

The NY Times has a piece on the Mumphery situation -
interesting read, and remember MSU is being sued by both Mumphery and his accuser for mishandling the case

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/sports/keith-mumphery-michigan-state.html

Triple Jeopardy in College Sexual Assault Case Ends an N.F.L. Career

Keith Mumphery was twice cleared of an alleged sexual assault. Then he was tried a third time, without even knowing it. And then his life collapsed.