New Whataburger with New Architectural Design Theme Opens in Austin

Hornius Emeritus

This Whataburger opened on Oltorf in Austin today. According to Whataburger, this is the new store design concept going forward. I could be mistaken, and probably am, but I don't see a drive thru and the parking lot looks way too small to have one. They look like an orange and white PTerry's. These were taken by news reporter Bettie Cross.  Edit: Not sure why they didn't automatically embed. The links work, though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjUX4AIg7uM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjSWsAEuq2n?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjXW4AQXPg3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjbWsAMg9eL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

According to Whataburger, this is the new store design concept going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It has a patio and everything. I wonder if this is the first tangible evidence of the new Chicago ownership planting its flag. 

Illinois Nazis.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Whataburger website says it has a drive thru

It is a remodeled Lucy’s building, so hard to speculate this would be used at other locations that are built from ground up.

But, hey, random speculation is what Surly is all about ;)

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

This Whataburger opened on Oltorf in Austin today. According to Whataburger, this is the new store design concept going forward. I could be mistaken, and probably am, but I don't see a drive thru and the parking lot looks way too small to have one. They look like an orange and white PTerry's. These were taken by news reporter Bettie Cross.  Edit: Not sure why they didn't automatically embed. The links work, though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjUX4AIg7uM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjSWsAEuq2n?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjXW4AQXPg3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO08yjbWsAMg9eL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

e87a4550557c7592b190b57bd66d5052.jpg

Go on...

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah if there is one thing about Whataburger I hate, it's the lack of ability to order a bread, meat, and pickle burger that's been steaming in wrapper for the last half hour.

Are you saying Whataburger can’t improve?  Because, imo their service is absolute dogshit.  If you go to locations in wealthier neighborhoods then it seems to be okay.  You’re taking a gamble otherwise though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Are you saying Whataburger can’t improve?  Because, imo their service is absolute dogshit.  If you go to locations in wealthier neighborhoods then it seems to be okay.  You’re taking a gamble otherwise though.

Whataburger can improve, but they don't need to take any lessons from chic fil a.  Chic fil a great service is centered around the fact that they pre make their homogenized sandwiches so they can turn around their drive thru line in a flash.  That's great if you are feeding armies of kids who don't give a shit about texture or flavor.

• Like 1

How about they make a commitment to having hot hamburgers again straight from the flat top with oozy, melted, gooey cheese like I can get from In N Out every time instead of the lukewarm meat, cold cheese and wilted lettuce mediocrity I have had the past few times. As for the interior buildout. It looks nicer and airier but does anyone really give a shit about the ambience of a fast food place. Isn't the entire premise to get people served and moving quickly. In N Out's dine-in set up is pretty spartan and yet no one gives a shit about it and its always packed. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Whataburger can improve, but they don't need to take any lessons from chic fil a.  Chic fil a great service is centered around the fact that they pre make their homogenized sandwiches so they can turn around their drive thru line in a flash.  That's great if you are feeding armies of kids who don't give a shit about texture or flavor.

They have the best customer service in the industry and they serve more than chicken sandwiches. But you’re probably right, what lessons could they possibly learn from the market leader?
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

They have the best customer service in the industry and they serve more than chicken sandwiches. But you’re probably right, what lessons could they possibly learn from the market leader?

But Gene Parmesan is right, imo. I love the CFA, but the texture of their sandwiches is shit. Now, I do like the flavor, but my taste buds are not well developed....

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I'm just shitting on chic fil a because the food sucks, imo.  I don't think I've eaten inside their restaurant more than 3 times in the last 5 years, so I have no idea what kind of customer service they offer.  My wife brings home chic fil a once every 2 weeks because they are fast and the kids eat it.  Like I said they have the most homogenized menu on the market and pre make all their sandwiches/nuggets, and duped America into thinking that's good.  

I have no doubt that whomever owns Whataburger right now would gladly trade places with Chic Fil A in a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean they are going to churn out good food.

4 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Whataburger website says it has a drive thru

It is a remodeled Lucy’s building, so hard to speculate this would be used at other locations that are built from ground up.

But, hey, random speculation is what Surly is all about ;)

Definitely not a remodeled anything. There was a Luby's cafeteria there but they tore it down completely,  hauled it away, and rebuilt from the ground up on the site.    The permit shows a complete demolition.  That Luby's was about 5 times the size of the Whataburger.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

I'm just shitting on chic fil a because the food sucks, imo.  I don't think I've eaten inside their restaurant more than 3 times in the last 5 years, so I have no idea what kind of customer service they offer.  My wife brings home chic fil a once every 2 weeks because they are fast and the kids eat it.  Like I said they have the most homogenized menu on the market and pre make all their sandwiches/nuggets, and duped America into thinking that's good.  
I have no doubt that whomever owns Whataburger right now would gladly trade places with Chic Fil A in a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean they are going to churn out good food.

Obviously it’s totally fine to dislike CFA’s food. I happen to disagree, a freshly made spicy chicken club sandwich is fast food heaven. But their service experience is consistently excellent. I used to work near the busiest one in the world and we would walk there for lunch. No matter how slam packed it was they got the orders out fast and never ever got an order wrong. And every employee is polite.

They keep their menu simple on purpose. They never add something to the menu until they market test it to death to make sure they can offer a very consistent product. Keeping the menu simple helps keep service simple and customers from being confused. Compare to Taco Bell, with a very confusing menu of the same five things remixed forty-eight times.

The company itself is a bit of a cult. It’s hard to get hired there and they screen their franchisees rigorously (read: you better be a church goer). I also don’t think you’re allowed to own more than two, and you have to work there a lot.

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How about they make a commitment to having hot hamburgers again straight from the flat top with oozy, melted, gooey cheese like I can get from In N Out every time instead of the lukewarm meat, cold cheese and wilted lettuce mediocrity I have had the past few times. As for the interior buildout. It looks nicer and airier but does anyone really give a shit about the ambience of a fast food place. Isn't the entire premise to get people served and moving quickly. In N Out's dine-in set up is pretty spartan and yet no one gives a shit about it and its always packed. 

And yet these carpetbaggers think that aesthetics are why Texans go to Whataburger.

tumblr_mk8tsbX1OQ1qgple6o5_250.gifv

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Definitely not a remodeled anything. There was a Luby's cafeteria there but they tore it down completely,  hauled it away, and rebuilt from the ground up on the site.    The permit shows a complete demolition.  That Luby's was about 5 times the size of the Whataburger.

I did not know that.  Was hoping there was some red jello left

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Luby's isn't at that location anymore?  

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here.  I prefer to take it home and drink a beer and/or watch TV instead of hanging out with the unwashed masses.

Then park you vehicle and go inside and get it, you lazy turd. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Then park you vehicle and go inside and get it, you lazy turd. 

Yes, let's forego the convenience of drive thrus at fast food places, banks, Walgreens, etc to satisfy your definition of not being lazy. Why pass up on such conveniences. 

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

And Whataburger isn't fast food ?  I hit  one in El Paso in September on the way to Nevada. Not impressed in the least. Am I missing something ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1