NW Houston explosion

CleverNickname

I heard it. Rattled the Windows. I don't think it would have woken me up though. I'm near Woodlake so that's a pretty good distance. 

It reminded me of a natural gas pipeline explosion I heard back in the mid-90s but that happened near Hempstead. (!)

Edited by DoobieWah

Google Maps is up to date.  Nice picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Watson+Valve+Services+Inc/@29.8370053,-95.5476397,17z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x8640c540d03ed851:0x31e68b0b53136e2f!2sWatson+Valve+Services+Inc!8m2!3d29.8370007!4d-95.5454456!3m4!1s0x8640c540d03ed851:0x31e68b0b53136e2f!8m2!3d29.8370007!4d-95.5454456

Watson Valve Services Inc

3.6 (8)
Permanently closed
Edited by clapclapclap
And just a couple of blocks east are an HEB distribution center and warehouses
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I didn't wake up but wife did....Montrose here too.

Do any of y'all remember the Salt Dome explosion in the early 90's?  I think it was in Brenham.

That was 70+ miles away and rattled my windows in West Houston.  Crazy.

I remember hearing the Texas City explosion very distinctly. We were stationed at Fort Sam at the time so it really wasn’t even close to home.

35 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I didn't wake up but wife did....Montrose here too.

Do any of y'all remember the Salt Dome explosion in the early 90's?  I think it was in Brenham.

That was 70+ miles away and rattled my windows in West Houston.  Crazy.

I thought it was more Columbus/Sealy area, but I remember it well. I slept thru the one last night.

5 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

I thought it was more Columbus/Sealy area, but I remember it well. I slept thru the one last night.

It was in a little community outside of Brenham, Wesley.  A friend of mine was working in Spring Branch, and the shaking knocked a car off of blocks at the back end of their parking lot.  They didn't know about that car until that happened.  

15 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Seems like zoning would have avoided some damage to homes. But Houston gonna Houston.

Nevermind that the facility didn't handle materials that required chemical safety sheets and industrial zoning. From all the reporting I've seen so far, it's a plastics and metal fabrication site working with pre-prepared materials. This is as much a failure of zoning (which doesn't exist in Houston lol) as it is of regulation and oversight.

We literally have no idea how many buildings like that are all over the city, and all over the country. Shit has been exploding/catching on fire much more frequently now that we've loosened all those pesky safety regulations though [/nocr]

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Nevermind that the facility didn't handle materials that required chemical safety sheets and industrial zoning. From all the reporting I've seen so far, it's a plastics and metal fabrication site working with pre-prepared materials. This is as much a failure of zoning (which doesn't exist in Houston lol) as it is of regulation and oversight.

We literally have no idea how many buildings like that are all over the city, and all over the country. Shit has been exploding/catching on fire much more frequently now that we've loosened all those pesky safety regulations though [/nocr]

What?  The current theory is that it was and ethylene tank.  It would have required an SDS as well as the hazards diamond on the tank.  

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

What?  The current theory is that it was and ethylene tank.  It would have required an SDS as well as the hazards diamond on the tank.  

I'm not in a hazardous materials handling industry so I may be mis-stating out of ignorance. I thought I saw on the HOU11 broadcast that the site had no risk management plan or something like that to inform its neighbors about potential industrial hazards due to the nature of the materials they were handling? From the HOU11 broadcast below:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.29.27 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm not in a hazardous materials handling industry so I may be mis-stating out of ignorance. I thought I saw on the HOU11 broadcast that the site had no risk management plan or something like that to inform its neighbors about potential industrial hazards due to the nature of the materials they were handling? From the HOU11 broadcast below:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.29.27 AM.png

That's not what that means.  Now they may have done a terrible job of maintaining their records and communicating them to their employees, but they probably would have had more than 2 minor violation with OSHA.  If OSHA was ever at their site, and clearly were due the 2 minor violations, there's almost no way they didn't have those SDSs as well as safety procedures .