NW Houston explosion

CleverNickname

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One would think that the strip clubs surrounding the industrial site would shield the nearby homes from the blast.  At least, I think that's how Houston works.

That would look like one of those glitter bombs going off

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Looks like it knocked that doorbell camera off the wall/door

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Brigadier General Acevado assures the public that it wasn't terrorism.

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

might be a diversion while his storm troopers perform no knock executions...err I mean raids

No, they'll just be combating the looters.

"Do not get caught looting because it will not be a slap on the wrist," said Acevedo.

To be fair to Art, F the looters (the real ones, not the ones made up to play commando)

So calling back to how local news mentioned there was no risk management plan on file for this building that took out an entire city block: when the EPA rolled back regs put in place after the explosion in West in 2013, one of the specific changes was weakening the risk management plan requirement.

Not trying to CR up in here, but a risk management plan would have at the very least given notice to the residents that they lived next to a timebomb, and given first responders a better idea of what they were running into and how to handle it. What with all of the other accidents over the last year, I'm betting 2020 is going to be... energetic.

Meanwhile, you'll get written up if you're walking and texting while on any of those sites lol. At least priorities are in the right place. 

Jesus Christ I thought this was just my plant. Damn sure don’t get caught violating a rule in the parking lot if you are salary. If you are hourly, you can be caught on camera driving across a fucking sidewalk and not shit will be done.
  • Like 1

Live in the Memorial area.  It felt and sounded like someone threw a big brick (or something large) at my garage door.  Whole house shook.  Had to get up, go downstairs and into my garage, open the garage door, but didn't see anything.  Until I saw the news this morning, I thought I dreamed it.  

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Juarez has the best cheese enchiladas in town 

Their beef enchiladas are outstanding too.  I haven't eaten there in close to 20 years because it isn't close to where I live or close to anything I regularly visit, but damn I could go for some of the enchiladas right now.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Their beef enchiladas are outstanding too.  I haven't eaten there in close to 20 years because it isn't close to where I live or close to anything I regularly visit, but damn I could go for some of the enchiladas right now.

i would stab everyone here for three cheese enchiladas and a crispy taco 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stella Link said:

Live in the Memorial area.  It felt and sounded like someone threw a big brick (or something large) at my garage door.  Whole house shook.  Had to get up, go downstairs and into my garage, open the garage door, but didn't see anything.  Until I saw the news this morning, I thought I dreamed it.  

Username doesn’t check out.

Edited by Baconboy
  • Like 1

The explosion was in a very Acres Homes-y Jim Crow-era 'hood called Carverdale. If you are wondering how dangerous chemicals came to be allowed so close to housing, it's usually safe to assume that minorities live in those houses, so Carverdale is this weird mix of little machine shops and factories and shotgun houses. 

White folks moved out there later.

Per KPRC, "property damage attorney" Eric Dick is representing 12 Spring Branch residents.  A lawsuit has been filed "claiming negligence by the company for improperly storing their chemicals."

At this point of the investigation,  would attorney Dick know if the chemicals were improperly stored?

11 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Per KPRC, "property damage attorney" Eric Dick is representing 12 Spring Branch residents.  A lawsuit has been filed "claiming negligence by the company for improperly storing their chemicals."

At this point of the investigation,  would attorney Dick know if the chemicals were improperly stored?

Could be an educated guess given past osha violation and public comments by at least one former employee.

since explosions like that don’t appear to occur frequently, wouldn’t it seem like there is an extremely high chance of negligence on someone’s fault? And even if an employee did something completely wrong, it can be the employers fault if they failed to properly train him.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Could be an educated guess given past osha violation and public comments by at least one former employee.

since explosions like that don’t appear to occur frequently, wouldn’t it seem like there is an extremely high chance of negligence on someone’s fault? And even if an employee did something completely wrong, it can be the employers fault if they failed to properly train him.

Oh, I know.  I get that plaintiff's attornies are known scatter shooters.  Seems the dust has barely settled.  

He used to have late night commercials that said Need an attorney? Hire a Dick. I always replied, aren’t they all?
  • Haha 1