CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

At HEB this morning, I overheard a stocker who was probably in his 40s or 50s complaining that “the media is really screwing us” about coronavirus.  At first I was pissed, and then I had a “common clay of the Old West” internal dialogue moment.  Most people are just really fucking stupid.  The problem is Trump has stupid people voting.  

• Like 1

“The lack of testing in the United States is a debacle,” said Dr. Marc Lipsitch, a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “We’re supposed to be the best biomedical powerhouse in the world and we’re unable to do something almost every other country is doing on an orders-of-magnitude bigger scale.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/health/coronavirus-testing-shortages.html

We should be first. But it looks like we're last. And not just by a little. "orderS-of-magnitude". Plural. A lot.

Just now, immamac said:

This isn't the problem. It's that stupid people feel like they have a voice now with social media and it has given them a false confidence and a false sense of intelligence because other morons agree with them. No one wants to be stupid alone. 

True.  Social media is a stupidity amp, cranking the nations morons up to 11.

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

“The lack of testing in the United States is a debacle,” said Dr. Marc Lipsitch, a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “We’re supposed to be the best biomedical powerhouse in the world and we’re unable to do something almost every other country is doing on an orders-of-magnitude bigger scale.”

We should be first. But it looks like we're last. And not just by a little. "orderS-of-magnitude". Plural. A lot.

Greatest Healthcare System in THE WORLD!!!!

#KAG

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

This isn't the problem. It's that stupid people feel like they have a voice now with social media and it has given them a false confidence and a false sense of intelligence because other morons agree with them. No one wants to be stupid alone. 

The worst thing about trump is that it finally gave stupid people a real representative to rally around

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Now the other 49 states will be looking to Mississippi for leadership on what it's like to have the lowest ranking in health care.

Whelp, sounds like the WH is opposing the Dem plan, so we will wait and twist in the wind.   Pelosi pretty much holds all the cards here, so if I were her, I'd sequester my members in their DC residences and just wait Trump out.  Two more days of market turmoil should bring Trump to the table. 

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Lol, thanks for providing us with a haven!

• Like 1

Our testing numbers are going to be skewed to the point of uselessness if and when we ever get a testing system operational. I'm convinced hundreds of people in the U.S. have already died from this, with the cause of death being determined as the flu.

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Has there ever been any explanation of why they did this?   Even when he is doing stuff for spite, he usually spouts some BS reason. 

I believe the stated reason was the same GOP song and dance as usual- Budget slashing due to our deficit-ballooning tax cuts that primarily benefit corporations and the wealthy.

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Whelp, sounds like the WH is opposing the Dem plan, so we will wait and twist in the wind.   Pelosi pretty much holds all the cards here, so if I were her, I'd sequester my members in their DC residences and just wait Trump out.  Two more days of market turmoil should bring Trump to the table. 

What are the WH and Republicans wanting?

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

They don't have a fucking clue.  Just that if it came from Nancy and Team D, it's a nonstarter.

My guess if you occam's razor it, this. 

They will cite cost publicly.  If it's a tax cut or on the end of a missile, then the GOP can find it's credit card.  Anything else? GTFO.

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

They will cite cost publicly.  If it's a tax cut or on the end of a missile, then the GOP can find it's credit card.  Anything else? GTFO.

We’re hours away from a republican saying, with a straight face, that the democratic proposal irresponsibly adds to the public debt and simply kicks the financial burden down the road to our children and our grandchildren. #simulation

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Oh, I believe the GOP is willing to spend whatever is necessary; it's an election year after all.  It just has to be their idea. But the reality is Nancy holds all the cards here, and for them to publicly come out so early and say they don't like anything she's coming up with is gonna leave a mark.

The American public wants something.  For the House minority and the Senate to just waive it off, whatever it is, whatever it may be, is beyond stupid.

Majority Leader Doublechin could have came out and said something like "this is a good start, but I believe we can add a few things to this proposal" would have been light years better politically, but the cult would not have liked that.  Gotta have that confrontation, even in the face of possibly the largest uncertainty this country has had since 9/11.

• Like 3

Maybe this is me wishcasting, and I in no way want anyone to die or be harmed for this to happen, but you might think US buttfucking this pandemic as hard as it seems to be doing, that universal healthcare might be gaining more votes with this?

• Like 3

As much as I love seeing the Republicans shoot themselves in their collective tiny dick, this is not the time to root for more of the same.  Pelosi & team need to figure out a way to get a reasonable package drafted and presented such that it isn't rejected for partisan bias alone.

I realize that I'm asking the adults in the room to act for the greater good, because the children won't, but sometimes that's more important than scoring points.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As much as I love seeing the Republicans shoot themselves in their collective tiny dick, this is not the time to root for more of the same.  Pelosi & team need to figure out a way to get a reasonable package drafted and presented such that it isn't rejected for partisan bias alone.

I realize that I'm asking the adults in the room to act for the greater good, because the children won't, but sometimes that's more important than scoring points.

Their proposal isn't reasonable?? 

We need a far more robust social welfare system.

We need to start thinking about the demands we need to make of the next president. Those old people weeping in parking lots out of fear should inspire rage in all of us. That is completely fucking unacceptable.

Imagine a better world. Imagine we had public employees whose job it was to check in with old people and make sure they have everything they need to live in peace, health, and dignity as they wind out their last days. Guaranteed jobs that they could be proud of and would be good for everyone.

This system is sick.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk