CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Dumbing it down to a local level...

Kansas City, MISSOURI, Mayor just announced a state of emergency.  KCMO has 1 case of covid-19.  KCK has 1 case of it too.  It sounds like he is prepping to enforce curfews.  He has the power to control liquor distribution during this time as well so he can cut off bars/restaurants/liquor stores from being able to serve.

on some level you have to be smart, but this is just ridiculous.  "We need to change how we interact to confront our health crisis."  Sounds like he's going to use his authority, whatever that may be.

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Third world countries have their shit together, but not us.

The US devolved to "developing nation" status according an MIT economist. From 2017 - and it has only become worse since then.

US has regressed to developing nation status, MIT economist warns:

America is regressing to have the economic and political structure of a developing nation, an MIT economist has warned. 

Peter Temin says the world's’ largest economy has roads and bridges that look more like those in Thailand and Venezuela than those in parts of Europe. 

In his new book, “The Vanishing Middle Class", reviewed by the Institute for New Economic Thinking, Mr Temin says the fracture of US society is leading the middle class to disappear. 

The economist describes a two-track economy with on the one hand 20 per cent of the population that is educated and enjoys good jobs and supportive social networks. 

On the other hand, the remaining 80 per cent, he said, are part of the US’ low-wage sector, where the world of possibility has shrunk and people are burdened with debts and anxious about job security. 

Mr Temin used a model, which was created by Nobel Prize winner Arthur Lewis and designed to understand developing nations, to describe how far inequalities have progressed in the US. 

When applied to the US, Mr Temin said that “the Lewis model actually works”. 

He found that much of the low-wage sector had little influence over public policy, the high-income sector was keeping wages down to provide cheap labour, social control was used to prevent subsistence workers from challenging existing policies and social mobility was low. 

“We have a structure that predetermines winners and losers. We are not getting the benefits of all the people who could contribute to the growth of the economy, to advances in medicine or science which could improve the quality of life for everyone — including some of the rich people," he writes. 

Commenting on Mr Temin’s findings, Lynn Parramore, senior research analyst at the Institute for New Economic Thinking, writes: “Without a robust middle class, America is not only reverting to developing-country status, it is increasingly ripe for serious social turmoil that has not been seen in generations.” 

. . . https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-developing-nation-regressing-economy-poverty-donald-trump-mit-economist-peter-temin-a7694726.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I like Scott Dworkin, but he tends to be an alarmist. What does he mean "failing"? Like the tests don't work? There aren't enough? This sorta half information is more dangerous than it is helpful

Context:

A top U.S. official said the nation cannot process coronavirus tests as quickly, easily or in the same volume as other countries — even as the virus spreads to 44 states — and that’s “a failing.” 

“The system is not really geared to what we need right now, what you are asking for. That is a failing,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Thursday at a hearing on the nation’s preparedness for the outbreak.

“The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not,” Fauci testified. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/top-us-health-official-says-coronavirus-testing-system-is-failing.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Isn't HEB rationing some of that stuff?  I thought I saw a sign about buying only so much TP, etc.  Maybe I was hallucinating because of this damned feverish cough I've been dealing with.

Even if they limit people to 1 or 2 per person, it doesn't take long to wipe out their stocks when half the people in the store at a given time are buying them.

18 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Is it time yet?

ghigliottina.jpg?w=650

Not yet, we need to let Trump get a bunch of boomers killed off first so that their power and authority is taken up by a younger generation.  Then we replace Trump with competent leadership that can end the threat.

Kidding.  I think.  No.  Yeah...  Kidding.

Just now, Jhawk said:

Dumbing it down to a local level...

Kansas City, MISSOURI, Mayor just announced a state of emergency.  KCMO has 1 case of covid-19.  KCK has 1 case of it too.  It sounds like he is prepping to enforce curfews.  He has the power to control liquor distribution during this time as well so he can cut off bars/restaurants/liquor stores from being able to serve.

on some level you have to be smart, but this is just ridiculous.  "We need to change how we interact to confront our health crisis."  Sounds like he's going to use his authority, whatever that may be.

No, they have one positive test.  Big fucking difference.  Get used to it for a while.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're looking for leadership, on anything, it seems pretty clear by now that you should pass right by anyone with an (R) next to their name.  For fuck's sake, they're fucking godawful.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here's what Team GOP found so unreasonable with Nancy's initial corona bill, courtesy of Fox News Congressional reporter.  Take it away, Chad:

Retaking the Senate is more important than the presidency at this point. Fuck the GOP 

• Like 3

Just now, sachick said:

I wouldn’t doubt it but they would never tell us he is sick.

This White House leaks constantly. They wouldn't officially announce it, but we'll find out sooner than later. Then they'll have Scavino use Trump's twitter to say it's fake news and a Democrat hoax.

1 minute ago, sachick said:

I wouldn’t doubt it but they would never tell us he is sick.

Nor should they until he is incapable of his duties. - seriously

Ideally immediately after he was sworn in. - also seriously

23 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Third world countries have their shit together, but not us.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Someday, maybe, if we all work together really hard, we can have a country that functions as well as [checks notes] ..... Senegal.

This.  THIS is why you don't put a fucking third-rate aspiring tinpot dictator deranged narcissist with brainworms and incontinence in charge of the fucking country.  For fuck's sake.

Guillotines are too slow for the purge we need to undertake at this point.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Context:

A top U.S. official said the nation cannot process coronavirus tests as quickly, easily or in the same volume as other countries — even as the virus spreads to 44 states — and that’s “a failing.” 

“The system is not really geared to what we need right now, what you are asking for. That is a failing,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Thursday at a hearing on the nation’s preparedness for the outbreak.

“The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not,” Fauci testified. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/top-us-health-official-says-coronavirus-testing-system-is-failing.html

But why?  I feel like there is a quest lab in every shopping center. Fucking conscript them.  

Economists: Overconfidence in safety measures leads to riskier behavior. 

"In the case of coronavirus, you can think of some people – apparently older folks and those with underlying illness – as having lower capabilities at surviving the infection. A protective mask or frequent use of hand sanitizer might provide incentive for them to leave their homes and interact in public places. 

We think that public health officials should be concerned about a resulting increase in infections and even deaths, thanks to overconfidence in protective measures.

A final warning message: When encountering someone wearing a mask, be cautious. Perceived safety offered by the mask might alter their behavior in a way that puts them and you more at risk of infection."

https://theconversation.com/when-safety-measures-lead-to-riskier-behavior-by-more-people-133039

TLDR - safety masks and hand washing do not make you immune and increase the risk of exposure. 

I called my congressman this morning, DC office. Informed the polite young lady that Rep needs to vote for this bill and should he not I would campaign ten times as hard and donate the max to the GOP opponent who is taking his place (he’s one of the retiring ones).

I am so done with this circus. Ringling brothers closed up shop, now it’s their turn. 

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

$1.5 trillion dollars for a fighter jet that doesn't work? No problem.

Emergency funding in the face of a pandemic? Hold on, let's think about this.

Taking care of folks struggling with a pandemic is welfare. Building a jet that does not work is taking care of buddies.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

That’s my county. Awesome.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

Seriously - social distancing. It has probably been in your community for a while now.

No face touching.

Wash your hands like you just sliced jalapeños by hand and you need to take out contact lenses. 

Protect friends and loved ones with the highest risk of death. 

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Context:

source.gif

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk