CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
The predictit comment feed is one step below the youtube comment feed. It is populated by a bunch of lunatics. 

Yeah. I've always wondered why GOP chances seem overvalued there. Then I read the comments.

It is very heavily biased, and you can make some easy money off it.  Shit you can still take home 12 cents on a NO on HRC running for president. 

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

The cognitive dissonance this will create in my father-in-law may kill him before the coronavirus has a chance. Wait, no it won't.

"It's a hoax to remove Trump!"

Trump: This is a national emergency

"It's obviously real and is a plot by Democrats who created the virus to kill Trump and his voters!"

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

A month fucking late, at the very least.

He spent the last month lying and denying, and now Americans will spend the next two months dying.

We don't need a NEW president. We just need A president, because we don't fucking have one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:
Also, for a chuckle to lighten the mood. We haven’t gone out and bought TP - this is our normal baseline, because my wife is paranoid about running out. This is just our bathroom cabinet:

e0711ca60b08523af8b8796c1a8684aa.jpg

You could build a second ledge with all that TP!

I just assumed that TP was for the Ledge.  Dibs!

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, for a chuckle to lighten the mood. We haven’t gone out and bought TP - this is our normal baseline, because my wife is paranoid about running out. This is just our bathroom cabinet:

e0711ca60b08523af8b8796c1a8684aa.jpg

Sounds like your wife is reading the 'Hey Steel Shank' thread.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait and see what this press conference is about. He probably thinks it's related to Stafford Student Loans so everyone has to pay it back. Meanwhile, I heard  that the aid package assembled by Democrats was ready to go early this morning (did I read it here? I'm too lazy to check today) and Mnuchin torpedoed it asking for concessions. I've discovered that having an extra student return home (classes now online) has resulted in dairy products being consumed at a greater rate so I'm out to brave the crowds for a jug of milk since I'm not ready to use the not so great stuff yet.

38 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

For some reason, my sheets always get magically laundered and folded and put on the beds.

It's been happening that way since I have been married.

Bed sheet fairy.

That's what the daytime guys says... since you've been married...

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm going to wait and see what this press conference is about. He probably thinks it's related to Stafford Student Loans so everyone has to pay it back. Meanwhile, I heard  that the aid package assembled by Democrats was ready to go early this morning (did I read it here? I'm too lazy to check today) and Mnuchin torpedoed it asking for concessions. I've discovered that having an extra student return home (classes now online) has resulted in dairy products being consumed at a greater rate so I'm out to brave the crowds for a jug of milk since I'm not ready to use the not so great stuff yet.

It's not Mnuchin, it's Trump himself.  They have a deal, but getting the shitgibbon to agree is the problem.  And McCarthy won't give the House GOP support until Trump personally signs off. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

As pointed out by Rep. Katie Porter (although she referred to the wrong section), the CDC director has unilateral authority to pay for testing in these scenarios. It does not require Congressional funding.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/70.13

Discussed here: 

This kind of scenario is the exact reason that you pass a law like the one linked above. In a rapidly changing pandemic/emergency situation you need to have vested specific individuals with the authority not to have to wait on Congress to get things done.

Excellent point.  I saw her video earlier.   

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It's not Mnuchin, it's Trump himself.  They have a deal, but getting the shitgibbon to agree is the problem.  And McCarthy won't give the House GOP support until Trump personally signs off. 

My understanding is the House passed it and Mitch won’t bring it to a vote

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

My understanding is the House passed it and Mitch won’t bring it to a vote

They are negotiating a similar package to be passed on suspension, which requires 2/3 and implies a GOP sign off.

The Senate is home.  They won't be back till Monday.

Edited by Bateshorn

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

WHY CAN'T YOU MOTHERFUCKERS STAY CALM ??!!!1!1!!

There must be a term for this condition, being panicked about a panic. For the record, I've yet to have anyone implore me to buy more toilet paper.

I found the below description of the 1.5T injection by the Fed. Comparing this to the purchase of military equipment or the idea of clearing student loans should be avoided.

—————

What the Fed has done here is gone to banks and said “I will buy $500 billion in government bonds if you agree to buy them back in X days for $500.0001 billion dollars”. The banks agree to this in order to ensure they have enough cash on hand to loan to other banks and businesses. This is kind of a loan in the sense that the Fed is temporarily giving banks money to be repaid for a profit, but the key difference is that the Fed holds the bonds as collateral in the meantime. This means there is little to no risk of default on these loans since the Fed can turn around and sell the bonds to recoup any losses. The key point here is that this means this isn’t really a stack of cash sitting around that could be redirected. The fundamental mechanism here is a temporary injection of liquid cash in exchange for safe collateral. That isn’t the case with other suggestions floated around like using this money for a temporary UBI, or canceling student loan debt.

It may be surprising to know that these types of repurchase agreements happen every day as a normal mechanism to keep the economy moving and regulated. Usually, they are for smaller amounts (I think around $100 billion each day). What the Fed has done here is increased that amount to $500 billion over three days, which is why you alternatively see headlines saying they are injecting $500 billion or $1.5 trillion into the economy. The reason this can happen without much debate is that it is to a large part ‘baked in’ to normal operation - the only thing that has changed is the daily amount, and even then temporarily.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

This is a terrific little article, and to me seems a pretty good "glass have empty" viewpoint.  It was grim, but it also provides a nice focus.  I feel like I'm going to focus my worry on my aged parents and just roll with the punches.  

Yeah. It's a "tell it to me straight doc" rundown of what we're up against. No warm fuzzies. Talked to my mom and dad last night. They've been divorced since I was 5. She's got 'bronchitis' and has been to the doctor. I had to restrain myself from carrying out the worst case scenario in my head. She's 70+ and has been fully indoctrinated by Fox news. 

My dad is 80+ and is in pretty good shape for an oldster. He was in fine spirits and is about as liberal as an 80something white man can get. He gets a home care visit a couple of times a week, so I feel better about his situation. 

It's a grim picture of the next few months. I don't want to think about having to go to funerals, but it's a very real possibility. 

Just now, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I need to go to Costco in a couple hours for some brisket, beer, chicken breasts...your basic non-organic shopping shit because I plan to smoke some meet & drink Guinness this weekend.

I'm gonna get shanked by some prepper trying to stockpile ass wipes, aren't I?

Yes.

19 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I found the below description of the 1.5T injection by the Fed. Comparing this to the purchase of military equipment or the idea of clearing student loans should be avoided.

—————

What the Fed has done here is gone to banks and said “I will buy $500 billion in government bonds if you agree to buy them back in X days for $500.0001 billion dollars”. The banks agree to this in order to ensure they have enough cash on hand to loan to other banks and businesses. This is kind of a loan in the sense that the Fed is temporarily giving banks money to be repaid for a profit, but the key difference is that the Fed holds the bonds as collateral in the meantime. This means there is little to no risk of default on these loans since the Fed can turn around and sell the bonds to recoup any losses. The key point here is that this means this isn’t really a stack of cash sitting around that could be redirected. The fundamental mechanism here is a temporary injection of liquid cash in exchange for safe collateral. That isn’t the case with other suggestions floated around like using this money for a temporary UBI, or canceling student loan debt.

It may be surprising to know that these types of repurchase agreements happen every day as a normal mechanism to keep the economy moving and regulated. Usually, they are for smaller amounts (I think around $100 billion each day). What the Fed has done here is increased that amount to $500 billion over three days, which is why you alternatively see headlines saying they are injecting $500 billion or $1.5 trillion into the economy. The reason this can happen without much debate is that it is to a large part ‘baked in’ to normal operation - the only thing that has changed is the daily amount, and even then temporarily.

Well you and PB missed the point on that discussion. It wasn't a direct comparison of the mechanisms, it was referring to the fact "where are we going to find that kind of money?!?!?!?" is a talking point sometimes but not others.

You see, to loan someone $X you have to have the $X. We can find that money for some things (bailouts, military spending) but not for others (education, health care).

The only people who have discussed the military spending and the injections as being called the same thing are you and PB.

Edited by Huckleberry

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well you and PB missed the point on that discussion. It wasn't a direct comparison of the mechanisms, it was referring to the fact "where are we going to find that kind of money?!?!?!?" is a talking point sometimes but not others.

You see, to loan someone $X you have to have the $X. We can find that money for some things (bailouts, military spending) but not for others (education, health care).

The only people who have discussed the military spending and the injections as being called the same thing are you and PB.

You’re wrong, but that’s ok. No one on Twitter had that nuance. Maybe you believed that internally, but that’s not what the discussion was

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your point wasn't missed. 

The FEd doing what the Fed does, make short term zero risk loans to banks so the banks can then turn around and make loans, is unrelated to your position. 

This is not an expenditure by the gov. Making an “indirect” comparison between this and a gov expenditure is not something we should be doing.

There are other things that can be compared, like the proposed income tax relief or injection of cash to the cruise industry, but this isn’t one of them.

• Like 1

President Donald Trump is a clear and present danger to the nation's public health, and he should resign immediately.

In a time when protecting the nation's public health demands clear, truthful, and compassionate leadership, Trump has offered exactly the opposite.

He has dissembled about the seriousness of the coronavirus epidemic, either because he refuses to accept the truth or fears the impact on his political fortunes, or both.

He has refused to make science-based recommendations (e.g., older people should avoid cruise ships and plane travel) or to declare a public health emergency out of fear about the impact on the stock market.

He has misstated his administration's own policies.

He has presided over an administration that has inexplicably failed to deliver vitally needed coronavirus tests to healthcare providers around the country and then repeatedly lied to or misled the American public about remedying the problem. Instead of taking responsibility for the problem and fixing it, Trump has bizarrely blamed it on his predecessor, Barack Obama.

He has attacked his political rivals rather than seek to bring the country together.

These failings have nothing to do with political ideology or legitimate areas of policy disagreement. They are intolerable failures of leadership in a time of national crisis that have endangered the lives of all Americans. Trump should step down immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

giphy.gif

Even in crisis, surly gonna surly:

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Wife came home with some wet wipes since all the toilet paper was gone at the Woolsworths.

I, frankly, am excited to use. 

Use that wet one on your crack,

won't go back!

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk