CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

33 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just a head's up - we are going to see actual widespread testing as states and locals move away from the CDC due to their preventable shortages. 

The numbers will skyrocket until we catch up. COVID-19 has affected many but the testing to this point has not shown it.

So - don't panic. Practice good hygiene, practice social distancing, protect the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, and flatten the curve so there are enough beds and ventilators available for the most vulnerable.

We can get through this and will. 

This.  Quoted because it bears repetition.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I think hospitalization and fatality rates have been overestimated because transmission rate has been underestimated.

And also this.   This is actually one of the more optimistic parts of my overall conclusions.  I think the rates are artificially high because our denominator of actual cases is insanely low -- even in countries where they are testing a lot.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He looks especially orange this afternoon. 

Well, that’s because he was infected with COVID this past weekend with the Brazilian president. 
it’s his normal shade of orange, but he’s just pale with a dry cough

Just now, Jatrain said:

Listening on the radio so can’t see how he looks but he sounds terrible (even worse than normal). Can’t catch his breath. 

Of course he does. He probably caught the covid from the pres of Brazil. 

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

National Emergency declared. 

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/guide-emergency-powers-and-their-use

"In short, emergency powers offer a broad array of tools that would otherwise be unavailable to the executive branch. Some are highly potent and subject to abuse, while others are already being misused as convenient fixes to non-emergency problems. A large percentage of these authorities appear to be unnecessary and/or outdated. The president can invoke dozens of these laws simply by signing her name to an emergency declaration, and such declarations tend to linger on the books for many years. The bottom line: It is time to rethink whether our current legal framework for national emergencies is the right one, or whether changes are needed to preserve the balance of powers the Founders intended."

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk