CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Asked about assuring the medical professionals can get the necessary PPE.

"I think we did a great job of keeping people out early."

I feel like we are living in a Larry David skit or something.. but this is real life.

10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

"We have an invisible enemy that a month ago no-one ever thought about."

The people in the White House Pandemic Response Office  that you dismantled in 2018 did, Mr. President. It was their job to think about this stuff and plan ahead. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The bill will allow non-medical rated respirators to be used as PPE during this crisis. 3M will be able to add 30 million additional respirators immediately to the supplies.

For the idiots among us - what would a non-medical rated respirator normally be used for?  Or is this new production that doesn't go through normal testing procedures?

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For the idiots among us - what would a non-medical rated respirator normally be used for?  Or is this new production that doesn't go through normal testing procedures?

I dunno, painting your old car in your garage?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It wouldn't be an N-95 rated respirator like health care professionals use. Think your dust mask that you would use when painting, sanding, doing yard work, etc.

Designed to keep out larger airborne irritants, not smaller particles that you'll find in blood sera, spittle, etc.

But we're at the point that they will provide a layer of protection. Something is better than nothing.

• Like 1

"Does the buck stop with you, and how would you rate your response on a 1 - 10 scale?"

"I'd rate it a 10. I think we did a great job. We closed things earlier than people said we could do. We took over an obsolete system, one that wasn't meant to do something like this before, we took it over, we broke it down, and now we're testing tremendous numbers of people."

What a load of shit.

6 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

If every act of incompetence and failure of leadership were not killing people, this would be funny. Can we somehow just hurry up and make Biden President? 

It feels like we are in Bastogne and Lt. Dike is in charge.  He needs to be relieved and have Speirs take over.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

These idiots continue to compare the spread of this virus to the spread of HIV. that both are silent killers. Yea one is from people sneezing and one is from people fucking and exchanging needles.

Yes an HIV that we will all have in short order.  How reassuring.   Fucking morons

Does the buck stop with you, Mr. President?

"Nobody's ever doing anything like we're doing like. Take a look back at things that were done in 09 or 11 and they've never done anything like this. If we have a future problem we'll be starting at a much higher plateau. We had a system that was meant for something else, much smaller, we broke it down, now it's better."

Quick google found this article. I don't think there is any practical way to delay a federal election. It would require an act of both houses of congress and signed by the president (he'd likely never sign it unless it made him supreme commander for life). The constitution requires swearing in of new officers by January of the following year. That would require a constitutional amendment. I think they will enact voting by mail protocols, and long term will stay in effect increasing voter participation. Repubs won't like it but it may be necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/politics/election-postponed-canceled.html

We had a presidential election in 1864. We had federal elections in 1918 around the peak of the deadliest wave of the Spanish Flu. We had them through the depression and WWII. We'll have one in 2020.

The GOP will absolutely try to get it postponed, but it won't happen.
  • Like 1

Q&A with Trump from today's press conference. sorry for the all-caps ... he was asked how long Americans would have to really focus on social distancing

Q: A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE CONCERNED WITH HOW LONG THIS MIGHT LAST. DO YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF ESTIMATE. IF AMERICANS REALLY WERE TO BAND TOGETHER AND DO WHAT THE WHITE HOUSE IS SUGGESTING, HOW QUICKLY COULD YOU TURN THIS OVER?

A: MY FAVORITE QUESTION. EVERY DAY AND I SPEAK TO A LOT OF THEM. I GET THE OPINIONS. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF WE DO A REALLY GOOD JOB, WE WILL NOT ONLY HOLD THE DEATH DOWN TO A LEVEL THAT IS MUCH LOWER THAN THE OTHER WAY HAD WE NOT DONE A GOOD JOB. PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT JULY, AUGUST, SOMETHING LIKE THAT. IT COULD BE RIGHT IN THAT PERIOD OF TIME WHERE I SAY IT WASHES THROUGH. OTHER PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THAT TERM, BUT IT WASHES THROUGH.

Q: IS THIS THE NEW NORMAL UNTIL THE HEIGHT OF THE SUMMER?

A: WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS, BUT THEY THINK AUGUST, COULD BE JULY, COULD BE LONGER. I HAVE ASKED THAT QUESTION MANY TIMES.

Knows nothing, commits to nothing, ready to take credit should things break his way...

Dems need to be publicly demanding Trump's resignation. It's ridiculous that they're not only not doing so, but they're letting themselves get outflanked to the left on financial support for ordinary Americans by fucking Tom Cotton.

Putting Katie Porter, AOC, and some of the other freshman Dems in charge would literally probably be the best thing to do right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Dems need to be publicly demanding Trump's resignation. It's ridiculous that they're not only not doing so, but they're letting themselves get outflanked to the left on financial support for ordinary Americans by fucking Tom Cotton.

Putting Katie Porter, AOC, and some of the other freshman Dems in charge would literally probably be the best thing to do right now.

Dems running that four corners offense, just hoping Donald plays poorly enough that they are declared the winner. 

19 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes an HIV that we will all have in short order.  How reassuring.   Fucking morons

I love how that’s the best spin this writhing pile of incompetence could come up with.  “Don’t worry about COVID-19.  It’s just like AIDS!”  

What uplifting slogan can we expect these mush brained amoebas to roll out tomorrow?  

“The stock market: hopefully it won’t be any worse than the Great Depression.”  

“Sorry your grandma died.  But at least your mom and dad haven’t tested positive yet!”  

“We’re out of ICU beds so we’re asking a priest to deliver your last rites.  But at least we shut down flights from China early.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk