CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Actually, Stevie talking about sending checks to individuals in the next 2 weeks. That would be huge if true.

should be sending checks to everyone each week for $220 or $221 or whatever it takes.  and for at least 3 or 4 months.  not some one time check.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLDDDDDD!!!!

I've written in many other contexts:

Constant self-congratulation is not conducive to the improvement of any organization. It's probably the  most virulent form of rot.

Imagine the captain of the Titanic and some of the passengers on the tilting deck with the cold water rushing towards them slapping each other on the back and toasting, "Best goddamn ship in the world! Fucking unsinkable!"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fuck me for being a pessimist but this all has a post WW1 feel to me.  Pandemic, market collapse, demagogues everywhere, what am I missing?

Same. My wife asked me what other generation has gone through anything like this and I could only think of those that fought WWI, dealt with the Spanish flu and then suffered the Great Depression. 

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Had to run up to the office -- what specifically did he say?

He wouldn't give details but said that they want to get money in the hands of individual Americans as soon as possible.

When pressed about the $1000 amount being thrown around he wouldn't confirm the amount but said something is in the works. Also said they're not going to be sending 1000 dollar checks to people that make 1 million dollars. 

Also on the way out came back to the podium and said that the markets will remain open.

Easily his best performance so far.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
Mnuchin not Trump
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i used to be a 'libertarian'. what a fucking idiot i was.

Two pos reps in a row. Libertarians had an unrealistic and romantic idea of the lone homesteader, self-sufficient and not needing the benefits of even a local police force back in the 90s. It evolved into something more realistic for awhile, but then seemed to slide into the idiocy of the Tea Party.

Welcome to the coalition of ebil libs, formerly deceived traditional GOPs, and others with no place to voice their viewpoints but who know the shit has hit the fan. We'll do our best to get the ship back on course and then sort out who goes where in the resumption of honest political discourse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

He wouldn't give details but said that they want to get money in the hands of individual Americans as soon as possible.

When pressed about the $1000 amount being thrown around he wouldn't confirm the amount but said something is in the works. Also said they're not going to be sending 1000 dollar checks to people that make 1 million dollars. 

Also on the way out came back to the podium and said that the markets will remain open.

Easily his best performance so far.

The markets crashed, we're bailing everyone out, have lines for basic necessities, and we're building emergency hospitals.

Today is the day Donald Trump became president.

• Like 2

“We started in January watching this knowing that we would not have enough tests,” said Dr. Karen Kaul.

Many patients, even if they can get a test, have to wait days for results.  The Evanston Hospital test is much faster with results in four to six hours. Researchers take a swab specimen from deep inside the patient’s nose and are able to determine whether it contains DNA from COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The markets crashed, we're bailing everyone out, have lines for basic necessities, and we're building emergency hospitals.

Just a total guess, but I wonder if Ivanka tested positive. Shit got real and scared him into changing course. 

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Oh no, Donald has not and never will come close to sniffing the jock of our shittiest President Harding or behaving Presidential in any way.

I thought Mnuchin did a good job, probably because the bar is so low.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Constant self-congratulation is not conducive to the improvement of any organization. It's probably the  most virulent form of rot.

Imagine the captain of the Titanic and some of the passengers on the tilting deck with the cold water rushing towards them slapping each other on the back and toasting, "Best goddamn ship in the world! Fucking unsinkable!"

See: aggy

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Constant self-congratulation is absolutely a huge limiter on potential. Fortunately the dunces in College Station will never figure that out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Listening to Trump just now, he still hasn't got it in his head that folks can be asymptomatic and transmit the virus.  

My company shares this stupidity.  I’m working from home and they don’t understand why since I’m not sick.  Fuckem.

I also got one of my young engineers a laptop to work from Home as her husband is on immune suppressants for Crone’s.

• Like 3

"Trump Newspeak" - Patients can now meet with their providers via telephone/videoconferencing AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Why would there ever be an additional cost for telemedicine?

(Cue for the for-profit profiteers - "it costs more because people will tend to see a doctor via telemedicine." (i.e., the for-profit model does not want Americans using their private health care insurance - because "profit" for billionaires)). 

Edited by washparkhorn

36 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

for those not watching, he also mentioned a 90 day extension on tax payments.  basically that you can file now to get your refunds, but if you owe, you can still file now (or get an extension) but defer the payments (interest and penalty free) for 90 days.

not sure if this is official, but this is what he said.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and? what does finger pointing get us at this point?

I mean, accountability, credibility, responsibility... Not that the Chinese government was big on these before but this thing is hitting us like a designer biological weapon.  It’s our fault for not being able to defend against it but let the record show the Chinese government could have and should have done more in the containment effort.  You know, to hopefully prevent another one of these in the future. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

"we heard about a rumor in jina, turns out it wasn't a rumor, and then we made the decision to close the borders to jina.  that decision changed everything."

man, he will not stop talking about closing the border.  he's like the guy in the house full of rats walking outside to lay down a trap.

can't wait until he tries to turn this decision into the nobel prize for border-closing.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk