CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

This is the shit that republicans are great to move on from the shit they do to focus on other Non important items.

like who cares where it came from, what are you doing about it.

the Democrats fall for it every time 

don’t address it and keep on making preparations points 

I agree. The dull minded media seem to do the same. I listen to NPR when I'm in the car, and they're bending over backward to say it's not a time for casting blame and we need to move forward.

They focus on:

Is Chinese virus racist?

What are the election implications?

The president seems serious about this now.

The racist question is minor. The election angle is secondary. Why the fuck isn't the president generally serious about everything? He's the fucking president.

And letting the huge story of how bumbling policy will kill tens of thousands of Americans, at least!, is not to be dwelled upon is crazy.

The cycle of idiocy here in Idiot World. The daily grind of lives as the super rich laugh and fuck children.

38 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's fucking stupid virtue signalling nonsense.  The Chinese culture has some fucked up culinary tastes and the practices related to satisfying those tastes created a breakout virus that is currently ravaging through the entire planet. It's not like this is even the first time. Shit has happened before. They need to get called out on it, by somebody more articulate and thoughtful than the DOTUS, yes.  But they need to getting fucking called to account. 

"Look at Ching Chong Charlie over there!  Eating his bats!" What's that?  We don't need any pandemic planning in the White House.  "Look at Ching Chong Charlie spreading his disease!" 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's fucking stupid virtue signalling nonsense.  The Chinese culture has some fucked up culinary tastes and the practices related to satisfying those tastes created a breakout virus that is currently ravaging through the entire planet. It's not like this is even the first time. Shit has happened before. They need to get called out on it, by somebody more articulate and thoughtful than the DOTUS, yes.  But they need to getting fucking called to account. 

Agreed that getting mad about whatever dumb racist shit Trump wants to call the virus is a sideshow. It's to motivate his base, we know what they respond to. Who cares? There are bigger fish to fry.

The rest of your post could easily apply to the American lifestyle - sprawling suburbs, gas guzzlers, copious amounts of red meat - which ravages the planet in a far more long term way. The holding China to account bit is disingenuous bullshit too. Let's focus on the present.

I'm just glad we closed the Colorado/China border in time.  I mean the Colorado/Mexico border.  I mean the Kansas City/Colorado/China border.  I mean the Italy/Kansas border.  Dammit.  I had something for this!  

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

The rest of your post could easily apply to the American lifestyle - sprawling suburbs, gas guzzlers, copious amounts of red meat - which ravages the planet in a far more long term way. The holding China to account bit is disingenuous bullshit too. Let's focus on the present.

Equivocating an acute global pandemic putting everyone in the entire world at immediate risk of death to eating red meat. Yes, tell us all about disingenuous bullshit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Agreed that getting mad about whatever dumb racist shit Trump wants to call the virus is a sideshow. It's to motivate his base, we know what they respond to. Who cares? There are bigger fish to fry.

I agree. When the virus first was discussed, I assumed that the reference to Chinese was simply to differentiate it from all the other coronaviruses circulating around the globe. I didn’t even know the name stands for Coronavirus Disease-19 until later and now use that since it was WHO that named it. 
 The issue may be that if masks and PPE materials are manufactured mostly in China, will tensions escalate to the point that China refuses to ship them? Is that a possibility or even a problem? The President is rather adept at pissing off the wrong people and then giving them whatever they want. He has a knack for negotiating from a position of power and turning it into weakness. A very stable genius with a virus-laden Florida resort who blows through our tax dollars like cocaine. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I wonder if they asked them if they knew Karate before they assaulted them.

You went to Adams College, didn't you?  

4 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

'stache, I honestly don't see him not winning again unless there is complete financial ruin and a huge death toll. People are scared, most don't want to change leadership during a crisis. There are a lot of good people that don't like Trump that won't vote for Biden.

That might be the dumbest line of reasoning ever.  A complete fraud and moron got us into a lot of trouble, so let's stick with him.  

I once read "There's no dumber animal than a poor Republican."  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you want to stick your head in the sand regarding the origination of these viruses jumping across species and into humans in Southern China, that is your prerogative.  

OK, what's your plan?  I'm listening.

11 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

OK, what's your plan?  I'm listening.

It's not really that hard if you recognize it for the threat that it is. Aggressive sanction pressure, complete travel ban until there are mandatory international inspection teams in all markets, and aggressive health codes. Treat is as if these markets are the uncontrolled biological weapons facilities that they in fact are. Stop acting fucking stupid and acting like there is nothing that we can do to prevent this shit before it even starts. 

Edited by Anastasis
to clarify

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you want to stick your head in the sand regarding the origination of these viruses jumping across species and into humans in Southern China, that is your prerogative.  

What's your fucking point?  The most populous country in the world tends to have some weird diets, and those weird diets may be the cause of bad germs.  Of course, Europeans having farm animals is probably what resulted in multiple plagues, which European grew immunity to, but when they made contact with the Native Americans resulted in virtual genocide.  At the end of the day, there is nothing more or less moral about eating bat versus eating pig, regardless of the unintended consequences. 

Meanwhile, we have plenty of Americans who sincerely do not give a fuck that this thing could kill millions of Americans and completely overwhelm our health care system.  And we have plenty of Chinese who sincerely do not give a fuck about their country's human rights violations, most recently directed toward the Uighurs.  I'm less concerned with whether any is eating bats.  It could have just easily started in some other way, like swine or avian flu. 

• Like 5

Jesus Christ this doesn't have to anything to do with eating bats. SARS-1, SARS-2.  Both originated out of the same fucking milieu. I am suggesting that we should be clear in recognizing this as the threat it is, and maybe do things to prevent it at the fucking source. We should have recognized the threat after the first go around. That's the fucking point.  If you want to talk about other threats, commercial farming practices, historical examples of native americans and shit I am all for it.  But pull your head out of your fucking ass on what we are talking about today.  

• Like 1

The wet markets IMO are less about what species is being consumed as much as the numbers, the density, the variety, and the overall lack of inspection with respect to proper hygiene and safety. 

Viruses are opportunistic and a wet market supplies just that. An ill animal is weak and easily spreads contagion. 

Bringing global pressure to China to impose some standards doesn’t seem too far fetched really. Don’t know if now is the best time though?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Jesus Christ this doesn't have to anything to do with eating bats. SARS-1, SARS-2.  Both originated out of the same fucking milieu. I am suggesting that we should be clear in recognizing this as the threat it is, and maybe do things to prevent it at the fucking source. We should have recognized the threat after the first go around. That's the fucking point.  If you want to talk about other threats, commercial farming practices, historical examples of native americans and shit I am all for it.  But pull your head out of your fucking ass on what we are talking about today.  

Fine.

Hopefully the Chinese government does more about regulating its wet markets.

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's not really that hard if you recognize it for the threat that it is. Aggressive sanction pressure, complete travel ban until there are mandatory international inspection teams in all markets, and aggressive health codes. Treat is as if these markets are the uncontrolled biological weapons facilities that they in fact are. Stop acting fucking stupid and acting like there is nothing that we can do to prevent this shit before it even starts. 

The Chinese are dredging the Pacific and building islands for their navy and we're not "doing anything about it."  What makes you think China is going to listen to you?

"Look at Ching Chong Charlie over there!  Eating his bats!" What's that?  We don't need any pandemic planning in the White House.  "Look at Ching Chong Charlie spreading his disease!" 

Ronnie the limo driver posts here?
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Don't get me wrong: you make a good point, and while I never really wanted to visit China I REALLY don't want to go now.  

BTW, I think Chinese hackers probably have your username and password somewhere.  But they ain't going to stop doing what they do.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

MERS - Middle East respiratory syndrome 

Not to mention the 2009 H1N1 Swine flu outbreak (which I know was the one Cornyn was referring to) was first found in the US and Mexico. 

Republicans are nothing but racist, ignorant, know nothing dumb fucks. It's amazing how stupid they are. 

It is so weird reading about all the panic buying going on in the USA, but it is not surprising considering the average American. Here in South Korea, stores look the same as they ever did. No hoarding. People just buying what they need to get them through the week.   Then again the government here jumped on things quickly and South Koreans almost universally followed precautions to limit the spread of the virus (social distancing, masks, hand washing, etc), plus have universal health care. If it were not for one lady, breaking quarantine to attend multiple religious services, attended by thousands, the number of cases here would have been much lower. Too bad America is full of people like that lady. 
The school year start (school year starts at the beginning of March here) was just pushed back another 2 weeks as well. 

The difference is that we do not have a competent government taking it seriously and getting out in front of the issue. We all know how shitty our elected Republican officials fucked this all up.

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Nothing is gonna stop new viruses from existing and spreading. The global ecosystem seeks a balance. Right now, it is not in balance. We can finally begin to understand that we are stewards of the earth, that we are animals existing in the same ecosystem as everything else, and work to maintain the balance.  Or the earth will try to correct imbalances itself.  We are the most advanced life on earth, but we are also the biggest threat to life in general on earth.

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Not to mention the 2009 H1N1 Swine flu outbreak (which I know was the one Cornyn was referring to) was first found in the US and Mexico. 

Republicans are nothing but racist, ignorant, know nothing dumb fucks. It's amazing how stupid they are. 

Yep.  It ain't just China.

3 hours ago, Xian said:

Why the fuck are people attacking republicans over Chinese virus!  It came from China!  Attack them over shit that matters. Like killing Americans by not being prepared.   Spending money on cruise bailouts instead of medical supplies!  

i mean, fuck. God damn.   

We can multi-task. 

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Nothing is gonna stop new viruses from existing and spreading.

Alright Clayton.

Yes, nothing is going to stop evolution of viruses.  BUT MAYBE WE CAN FUCKING DO SOMETHING TO PREVENT PRACTICES THAT EXPONENTIALLY INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD THAT THEY JUMP ACROSS SPECIES AND INTO HUMANS KILLING FUCKING EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET. 

Jesus Fucking Christ. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Alright Clayton.

Yes, nothing is going to stop evolution of viruses.  BUT MAYBE WE CAN FUCKING DO SOMETHING TO PREVENT PRACTICES THAT EXPONENTIALLY INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD THAT THEY JUMP ACROSS SPECIES AND INTO HUMANS KILLING FUCKING EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET. 

Jesus Fucking Christ. 

I think your shift is almost over.  I see MarkStanco has checked in and is ready to take over.  

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Agree that we should do as much as we can and also get whatever allies we have left to assist in that endeavor.

However, five or six months ago the country could not decide the precise difference between a transcript and a memo and now we are discussing whether or not a virus is a hoax, an invisible enemy, or a pathogen that will kill a large number of our elderly and susceptible populace. Censuring China for their food production practices may have to take a number and wait for a little while.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Alright Clayton.

Jesus Fucking Christ. 

Species jumping is a problem.  Take Foxy Ladies, for example. 

71xFa6hdSPL._SX355_.thumb.jpg.f60b5fcfbc

They're foxy, and then they're ladies. Prolly got diseases now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk