CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's really impossible to overstate how stupid and evil the GOP is. They're evil because they think the choice is between 1) a functioning economy, but 1-3 million Americans die agonizing deaths (while countless others die preventable deaths and/or otherwise go without treatment for serious medical conditions), or 2) a quarantined country in which the economy craters but relatively few die, and they think option #1 is clearly the preferable choice. That is already extremely close to Nazi "useless eater" reasoning, and we've only sort of been quarantined for one fucking week. And it goes without saying that we can actually protect most people from the worst economic impacts, but it would take massive government spending and that's worse than millions of Americans dying to Republicans. They'd rather cause a holocaust than see a single dollar more than necessary be spent by the government to help regular people.

Of course, they're also extremely stupid because they think that the economy would keep chugging along just fine as anywhere from 1-4 million Americans died and another 40 million or more had to be hospitalized for weeks at a time, so long as they pretended things were fine.

There is no way relatively few die if the economy craters.   Have you noticed everyone buying up guns and ammunition?  Why do you think everyone is doing this?  They fear a survival of the fittest reaction when the majority of people in the U.S. have no job to pay for food they can't find and the entire banking industry collapses because no one is paying their mortages or rent.  Show me one country anywhere in the world at any time in history where "relatively few" died when that country's economy destructed.  If relatively few people died when a country's economy collapses there would no such thing as refugees or migrants.

23 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

There is no way relatively few die if the economy craters.   Have you noticed everyone buying up guns and ammunition?  Why do you think everyone is doing this?  They fear a survival of the fittest reaction when the majority of people in the U.S. have no job to pay for food they can't find and the entire banking industry collapses because no one is paying their mortages or rent.  Show me one country anywhere in the world at any time in history where "relatively few" died when that country's economy destructed.  If relatively few people died when a country's economy collapses there would no such thing as refugees or migrants.

EMAW’s responding to a post that literally says that much of the economic impact can be blunted by government spending targeted at helping regular people and he doesn’t even comprehend the possibility. This is the kind of stupidity we’re dealing with and it’s going to get so many people killed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

You are going to have to wait until every politician in Washington D.C.'s favorite restaurant for their three martini lunch is out of business before anyone even thinks about solving this.  

The party with which you have no interest of familiarity is working on your half.  Don't make assumptions based your standards and beliefs.

Just now, mchookem said:

Ohio's order is the same. that is...rage-inducing.

So if they don't get their abortions now they can just get them in 9 months or so, right?  It figures they would find a way to use the corona virus to take away someone's abortion rights.  Maybe in this time of need we can have the governor allow prayer and religion in public schools since that is what is really important right now.

14 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The party with which you have no interest of familiarity is working on your half.  Don't make assumptions based your standards and beliefs.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Democrat Party.  Anyone that thinks  this is an example of working on anyone's half but their own needs to see a brain surgeon stat and get that tumor removed.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/03/23/here-are-the-details-of-nancy-pelosis-leftist-wish-list-and-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-wuhan-coronavirus-n2565543

As previously reported, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi came back to Washington D.C. last night after a week long recess and blew up days of emergency relief work done by the Senate. She wants to write her own far left bill and now we know what will be in it. 

According to a source close to the process on Capitol Hill, in order to move forward with any kind of relief package, Pelosi and her far-left Democrat caucus will demand the following be included: 

-Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards

-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service

-Required early voting

-Required same day voter registration 

-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining

-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025

-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights 

-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

-Federal $15 minimum wage

-Permanent paid leave

-Study on climate change mitigation efforts 

The provisions will apply to the companies and business rescued by bill.

Guy reported on the initial details of what Pelosi's demands would be earlier, which were confirmed by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on the Senate floor. Republican Senator Tom Cotton and Congressman Dan Crenshaw also backed up the details.  

A vote on the current package, which was worked through in the Senate in previously bipartisan fashion, was blocked by Democrats earlier today. 

Things are about as tense on the Senate floor as I have seen them in years. Probably back to the mid-1990s.

Senate Democrats are voting en masse against the procedural motion on the coronavirus bill. It will fail for the second time in two days. SCHUMER says he’s negotiating with the Trump administration.

Down right now down 500 points, or 2.6%

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

This is why you lose elections. Staring down the great depression but let's put that shit in there. Both of these parties will kill us all.

Do we know if it's true?

For what it's worth, I think the only thing the Senate/House should be working on right now is funding anything to stop the spread of the virus and support the medical staff.  There are economic measures, like paid sick leave, that can help with that.  But trying to fix the economy right now when we are still in the middle of the impact, is like trying to fix a car in the middle of an accident.  We don't understand the impacts to the economy yet, so just spraying cash at everyone seems pointless. There are some companies, like Amazon and Netflix, that are going to actually do better, at least in the short term.  Hell, the Senate should be more focused on changing the rules so they can function remotely, because in the next week, that could be a big deal. The bailouts to corporations aren't going to be executed immediately anyway.  That shit can wait.     

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the Democrat Party.  Anyone that thinks  this is an example of working on anyone's half but their own needs to see a brain surgeon stat and get that tumor removed.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/03/23/here-are-the-details-of-nancy-pelosis-leftist-wish-list-and-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-wuhan-coronavirus-n2565543

damn, that seems expensive.  i mean, where the fuck is the govt gonna find an extra 500 billion or so?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm not interesting in reading the garbage you believe in.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

For what it's worth, I think the only thing the Senate/House should be working on right now is funding anything to stop the spread of the virus and support the medical staff.  There are economic measures, like paid sick leave, that can help with that.  But trying to fix the economy right now when we are still in the middle of the impact, is like trying to fix a car in the middle of an accident.  We don't understand the impacts to the economy yet, so just spraying cash at everyone seems pointless. There are some companies, like Amazon and Netflix, that are going to actually do better, at least in the short term.  Hell, the Senate should be more focused on changing the rules so they can function remotely, because in the next week, that could be a big deal. The bailouts to corporations aren't going to be executed immediately anyway.  That shit can wait.     

Joe Manchin spoke this pretty eloquently in the video on the previous page.  If we don't have tests>vaccines>stocked hospitals>equipment for doctors and patients then there will be no economy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

EMAWesome,

I have personally on multiple occasions on this site pointed out to you that several of the sources you use to get your information is biased propaganda.

I have no idea what the real facts are regarding this current bill. Perhaps the Democrats have pursued a really wrong path.

What I am sure of, however, is that you continue to demonstrate an inability to understand how you are being manipulated by biased propaganda. Go look up the media bias of Townhall. Why are you unable to distinguish objective information from biased propaganda?

Again, for all I know the Democrats could be in the wrong here, but you continue to come across as an uninformed rube when you post propaganda instead of objective, high quality source information.

Mitch McConnell decided to have two show votes for purely political purposes with the full knowledge that his members and Democrats were negotiating the actual bill.

He acted in bad faith because he's a miserable piece of shit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Mitch McConnell decided to have two show votes for purely political purposes with the full knowledge that his members and Democrats were negotiating the actual bill.

He acted in bad faith because he's a miserable piece of shit.

I have no doubt R's are doing shit like this.  Just like I have no doubt progressives are tying to insert absolute nonsense into the bill unrelated to Covid to get "W's".  They all fucking suck ass.  Period.  If anyone thinks their "team" isn't a part of the problem, they are clueless.  The fact that these fucks haven't figured out a way to pass something semi-competent in the middle of a crisis is proof positive the system is broken.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I have no doubt R's are doing shit like this.  Just like I have no doubt progressives are tying to insert absolute nonsense into the bill unrelated to Covid to get "W's".  They all fucking suck ass.  Period.  If anyone thinks their "team" isn't a part of the problem, they are clueless.  The fact that these fucks haven't figured out a way to pass something semi-competent in the middle of a crisis is proof positive the system is broken.

Link?

• Like 3

Trump thinks that letting people stop working from home is gonna revive the economy? As usual he’s a complete idiot and wanting to do the wrong thing.

The US us gonna lose more lives to this thing than China. Too much obesity. Too much bad food. Too much hypertension. Too much diabetes. The virus kills those people, along with the olds. There are 30 million people in this country with diabetes. Almost 100 million with at least pre-diabetes. 

If trump lets people out of homes to work at the office together in a stupid attempt to save the economy the only thing he will accomplish is overwhelming the health care system and killing even more people. So he will probably do just that.

We keep trying to pass these massive bills so that people can stick shit in them that the other side does not want. I say they pass a bill on shit they both agree on that saves main street (small business and workers). Have a big company bill this coming week and at that point they can argue about $500M of pork that Trump gets to distribute as he wishes and Cruise company bailouts.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump thinks that letting people stop working from home is gonna revive the economy? As usual he’s a complete idiot and wanting to do the wrong thing.

The US us gonna lose more lives to this thing than China. Too much obesity. Too much bad food. Too much hypertension. Too much diabetes. The virus kills those people, along with the olds. There are 30 million people in this country with diabetes. Almost 100 million with at least pre-diabetes. 

If trump lets people out of homes to work at the office together in a stupid attempt to save the economy the only thing he will accomplish is overwhelming the health care system and killing even more people. So he will probably do just that.

Too much stupidity.  Some Americans still don't understand it, and unfortunately that includes our witless leader.  

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

And it's weird because @David Dennison is usually the "hey, that's showbiz politics" guy who cynically acknowledges the disgusting sausage making from all angles, so you'd think he'd get that both parties are "doing their jobs, politically" in the time of crisis to the benefit of nobody except their records and themselves and it's shameless and disgusting. Yea, I'm bothsidings them right now. They need to come together and get this done so the DOW can jump 2000 points only to lose 5000 by April 1st, darn it!

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk