CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

We keep trying to pass these massive bills so that people can stick shit in them that the other side does not want. I say they pass a bill on shit they both agree on that saves main street (small business and workers). Have a big company bill this coming week and at that point they can argue about $500M of pork that Trump gets to distribute as he wishes and Cruise company bailouts.

Seriously. Pass a tight bill that delivers relief without going down the abortion rabbit hole or the carbon credit nonsense. This should not be that hard, except that dysfunction is institutionalized in DC. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump thinks that letting people stop working from home is gonna revive the economy? As usual he’s a complete idiot and wanting to do the wrong thing.

The US us gonna lose more lives to this thing than China. Too much obesity. Too much bad food. Too much hypertension. Too much diabetes. The virus kills those people, along with the olds. There are 30 million people in this country with diabetes. Almost 100 million with at least pre-diabetes. 

If trump lets people out of homes to work at the office together in a stupid attempt to save the economy the only thing he will accomplish is overwhelming the health care system and killing even more people. So he will probably do just that.

Also, I don't mean to be saccharine or glib, but "too much freedom". People are too self-centered and individualized compared to the Chinese, whose authoritarian government was able to really move the needle quickly because they had a lot more control of their denizens than our government does. Heck, 50% of us outright detest our government and leader.

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So just saw where about 40% of the country is now under lock-down.  What good will lock-down do when 60% of the country is out and about?

I hope heat kills this shit or it might get fugly. 

I think the heat is going to be our only saving grace to buy us time, then it gets ugly again, and then we get the vaccine and golden circle or whatever it's called that leads to herd immunity.

One of these days a virus is going to kill us all.

Edited by Rougarou

13 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And it's weird because @David Dennison is usually the "hey, that's showbiz politics" guy who cynically acknowledges the disgusting sausage making from all angles, so you'd think he'd get that both parties are "doing their jobs, politically" in the time of crisis to the benefit of nobody except their records and themselves and it's shameless and disgusting. Yea, I'm bothsidings them right now. They need to come together and get this done so the DOW can jump 2000 points only to lose 5000 by April 1st, darn it!

I am on Team Fuck Republicans Because They Are Evil.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

One of these days a virus is going to kill us all.

I hope so.  Humans have no business being in charge.  We won the genetic lottery and blew it all on hookers, blow, and monster trucks.

We suck as a species.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://www.axios.com/nancy-pelosi-coronavirus-stimulus-proposal-d7b4a9a0-610a-4324-a07b-6bb64e1f5c81.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

• Allocates $150 billion to supporting hospitals, local health centers and government-funded medical programs, with an additional $80 billion in low-interest loans to hospitals.
  • Eliminates cost-sharing for coronavirus treatments and vaccines for all patients, including the uninsured. 
  • Addresses broader health care concerns that Democrats have pushed for months, including increasing subsidies on the individual market and creating new incentives for states to expand Medicaid. 
  • Provides child care assistance to health care workers and emergency personnel.
  • Offers individual Americans $1,500 in direct deposits, and up to $7,500 for a family of five. The benefit would be available to anyone with an individual taxpayer identification number, retirees and unemployed individuals. 
  • Would temporarily provide $600 per week to unemployed workers affected by the coronavirus. Self-employed workers, Americans whose contracts were cancelled, and new entrants to the job market would also be eligible.
  • Expands paid sick leave and family medical leave, as well as gives more money to food-safety benefits.
  • Provides $500 billion in grants and interest-free loans to small businesses.
  • Creates a $200 billion stabilization fund for states and $15 billion for local governments through the Community Development Block Grant program. The legislation also authorizes the Federal Reserve to purchase state and local government bonds.
  • Pumps nearly $60 billion into schools and universities, with $50 billion directly provided to states for school funding and nearly $10 billion to higher education institutions.
  • Dedicates $4 billion in grant funding to help states with upcoming elections and nationally mandates 15 days of early voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail, including mailing a ballot to all registered voters in an emergenc

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Is what he said in anyway true that countries with malaria don't have much corona virus because the people are taking that malaria drug already?

If heat does indeed have an affect of the virus it would make sense that hot countries that deal with malaria would have fewer numbers and nothing to do with any medication. 

Edited by Mo Horn

Is what he said in anyway true that countries with malaria don't have much corona virus because the people are taking that malaria drug already?

No.  It's all over Africa.

Side note...a couple people have died in Africa after trying the remedy he mentioned the other day.

Edited by DixonHur

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

also notable, second time without fauci. someone's in the dog house.

Yeah.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/as-the-crisis-escalates-trump-experiments-with-a-pivot

Sources say that Trump is leaning toward telling at least some Americans to return to work after the 15-day social-distancing period ends on March 31. This puts Trump on a potential collision course with Fauci that many fear will end with Fauci being fired or quitting. “Fauci is the best medical expert we have. We can’t lose him,” a former White House official said. Signs of tension between Trump and Fauci have been emerging. Over the weekend, Fauci gave a series of candid interviews. “I’ve been telling the president things he doesn’t want to hear,” Fauci told Maureen Dowd. “I have publicly had to say something different with what he states. It’s a risky business.” Fauci told Science magazine: “When you’re dealing with the White House, sometimes you have to say things one, two, three, four times, and then it happens. So, I’m going to keep pushing.”

Trump’s view that he can ignore Fauci’s opinion may be influenced by advice he’s getting from Jared Kushner, whose outside-the-box efforts have often rankled those in charge of managing the crisis. According to two sources, Kushner has told Trump about experimental treatments he’s heard about from executives in Silicon Valley. “Jared is bringing conspiracy theories to Trump about potential treatments,” a Republican briefed on the conversations told me. Another former West Wing official told me: “Trump is like an 11-year-old boy waiting for the fairy godmother to bring him a magic pill.” (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)

Throughout the crisis, Kushner has counseled Trump that the crisis isn’t as bad as the media is portraying. Two sources said Vice President Mike Pence has complained to Trump about Kushner’s meddling in the work of the coronavirus task force. (Another former West Wing official disputed this, saying Pence wouldn’t openly challenge the Trump family. “Pence is politically smart,” the former official said.)

• Like 1

Given that the administration is relying on Fox News, Qanon, and Alex Jones for its information, and seems to have booted Dr. Fauci and anyone else with actual knowledge, I'm gonna go with no.  They just have to prop up the president's ramblings, ala the fake hurricane path to Alabama.

41 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump thinks that letting people stop working from home is gonna revive the economy? As usual he’s a complete idiot and wanting to do the wrong thing.

The US us gonna lose more lives to this thing than China. Too much obesity. Too much bad food. Too much hypertension. Too much diabetes. The virus kills those people, along with the olds. There are 30 million people in this country with diabetes. Almost 100 million with at least pre-diabetes. 

If trump lets people out of homes to work at the office together in a stupid attempt to save the economy the only thing he will accomplish is overwhelming the health care system and killing even more people. So he will probably do just that.

diabetes-belt-color.jpg

220px-Elizabeth_Holmes_2014_(cropped).jp

Trump’s view that he can ignore Fauci’s opinion may be influenced by advice he’s getting from Jared Kushner, whose outside-the-box efforts have often rankled those in charge of managing the crisis. According to two sources, Kushner has told Trump about experimental treatments he’s heard about from executives in Silicon Valley. “Jared is bringing conspiracy theories to Trump about potential treatments,” a Republican briefed on the conversations told me. Another former West Wing official told me: “Trump is like an 11-year-old boy waiting for the fairy godmother to bring him a magic pill.” (The White House did not respond to a request for comment.)

• Like 5

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk