CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

The graphs are great, but I have to first off assume that the data is vastly underreported in both Iran and China, so their actual curve is likely much steeper. People that die without a confirmed coronavirus test will NOT be counted as a coronavirus victim, in the US currently. A strategy not dissimilar to that of China to reduce the overall death count.  Sort of the same way the Bush administration decided that civilian casualties in Iraq were specifically something that should NOT be tracked. The political irony here now is that Trump has put himself squarely standing on Occam's razor.  He continues the destruction of the economy caused by his lack of testing. Or he decides to kill off several percent of the GOP voting block?

For most Republicans the current coronavirus formula is:   2 GOP Judges > 2 million extra dead citizens

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Especially since the evidence suggests the exact opposite.  Boomers happily throw away their grandkids' futures for a few more years and a few more bucks.   They've never given a fuck about leaving a functional earth or society after they're gone.  Old people wanting to sacrifice.  That's some funny shit.  This ain't the WW2 generation we are talking about.  Its baby boomers.

Boomers would gladly sacrifice their kids and grandkids if it meant their taxes would go down.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck Holland America.

And the dumbasses who chose to cruise during this can stay their dumb asses on that boat.

Cut them some slack.  They're not docking to drop off any sick people, they're coming to pick up their bailout money.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

We don't appear to be flattening much, if any at all.  And this idiot wants to send kids back to school? 

Still early. All these infections predate the social distancing campaign. Should start flattening in about a month.

We should pretty much do the opposite of whatever Trump suggests. That goes for any policy and any topic.  He breaks everything he touches. 

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

"The Democrats want the virus to win?"

Says the dumb motherfucker that wants to ease social distancing measures next week and get people back to work.

Yeah, Trump should declare Martial Law and force people in thier homes. God damn, that's the worst fucking outcome. It so much short sighted to lose all your rights over a virus. I'd hate that with every fiber of being.

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Still early. All these infections predate the social distancing campaign. Should start flattening in about a month.

We should pretty much do the opposite of whatever Trump suggests. That goes for any policy and any topic.  He breaks everything he touches. 

if fitlump said turn right and trump said turn left i think i'd drive off the cliff

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Especially since the evidence suggests the exact opposite.  Boomers happily throw away their grandkids' futures for a few more years and a few more bucks.   They've never given a fuck about leaving a functional earth or society after they're gone.  Old people wanting to sacrifice.  That's some funny shit.  This ain't the WW2 generation we are talking about.  Its baby boomers.

They didn't spend all that time working and ignoring their kids to just hand that nest egg over to those brats.  Hell nah, they got cruises to go on!  

I am going to spoiler this.  A friend of mine has a cousin who is a nurse who sent this to her.  I don't know anything more than it is supposedly an actual accounting.   So take that for what it's worth.  Maybe some of the Surly docs can say what they have to say holds water.   It's pretty scary, imo.  And this is a healthy 31 yo, not an old.

Spoiler

This is the best description I’ve seen so far of what to expect from Covid-19. I took this from a nurses group but really explains how this effects us differently than respiratory viruses  of the past. *had trouble sharing original post so I copied it* Maybe this can help you.....1)know what to look for and when to act and how important it is to act quickly and 2) really try to not put yourself and others at risk.

****This is from a nurse who became sick: 

COVID19 is not like the flu...at all... How do I know? Because I’ve lived through it to tell the tale!

Memoirs of a 31 y.o. male with no underlying health conditions.

March 3, 2020-Bronchitis like illness started, dry cough, no fever

March 5, 2020-Low grade fever starts, still thinking bronchitis

March 6, 2020-Fever climbs from 99.8 to 102.6 in one hour, thought it was flu and was now outside the Tamiflu window, stayed home for symptom management.

March 9, 2020-Fever of >102 continues, this isn’t flu, go to urgent care, diagnosed with pneumonia, started on Levaquin.

March 11, 2020-3 doses of Levaquin in, no improvement in symptoms, go to ER. Admitted, swabbed for COVID19, IV antibiotics got pneumonia on chest CT.

March 12, 2020-Get to a room and placed on supplemental oxygen via nasal cannula, 1 liter per minute (lpm). I’m only able to achieve 500 on my incentive spirometer, for perspective-my healthy lungs could hit 4000.

March 13, 2020-O2 saturation begins to decline, oxygen increased to 2 lpm, then 3 lpm, then 5 lpm. Oxygen saturation 88% on 5 lpm. The decision is made to use high flow (vapotherm) and move to ICU. Placed on 40 lpm and 60% oxygen. I’m terrified at this point because vapotherm is all that is standing between me and the ventilator. This is the moment I would have died at home had I not come to the hospital when I did. I would have respiratory arrested in my bed.

March 14, 2020-I have a bad coughing spell, my oxygen saturation drops to the 80’s. I’m still on 40 lpm and 60%. I’m trying to gasp for air, but because of the condition of my lungs, can only take small breaths without coughing more. I feel as though I’m about to die, my heart is racing, oxygen still low, and I’m sweating profusely. Im in respiratory distress! I pressed my call light trying to get the attention of anyone who can help. My nurse was in another room tending to another sick patient. Fortunately he sees me and comes to my room. I am now on 40 lpm and 100% oxygen, next step is the ventilator. I’m terrified. My breathing slows as my oxygen saturation slowly returns to the 90’s. I’m weaned back down to 60%. The same thing happens again in the night, and again I thought I was about to leave this world. Again I’m on 100%, this time for several hours. I’m slowly weaned again to 60%.

March 15, 2020-My morning arterial blood gas (which hurts like a 🤬) is normal. I get weaned to 50%.

March 16, 2020-My oxygen saturation is 97%, I’m weaned further to 30 lpm and 40%.

March 17, 2020-I’ve been in ICU 4 days, forced to use a bedpan because my oxygen saturation drops if I turn or even move too much. I am unable to clean myself; I’m feeling completely helpless and so embarrassed, but my nurses were great and very understanding. I now truly understand my patients’ feelings from all these years of nursing. I’m weaned to 25 lpm and 30%. I’m going to the medical floor.

March 18, 2020-I’m weaned to 28%. I can achieve 1500 on my incentive spirometer finally. I’m hopeful to be weaned to a regular nasal cannula. The provider comes in. I’ve been waiting for my swab results. I tested positive for COVID19...6.5 days of waiting for the outside lab to process the lab. I’m relieved because I finally have a diagnosis, a reason I’ve been so sick. I’m weaned to 4 lpm on a regular nasal cannula, 4 hours later I’m weaned to 2 lpm. 4 hours later I’m weaned to room air. My oxygen saturation stats 93% and above all night.

March 19, 2020-As I write this, I’m waiting to attempt a 6 minute walk test to see if my oxygen stays up, so I can go home. I’ve had no visitors this entire time due to my isolation precautions.

Guys, this is why social isolation is a thing. As a 31 y.o., I wasn’t supposed to get sick. I wasn’t supposed to be admitted to the hospital or the ICU for that matter. We’ve already had several deaths from COVID19 in this area. I thank God I wasn’t one of them! However, many won’t be as fortunate as I have been. Many will die, especially those with any lung or heart problems. So please, I beg you to #stayhome

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

From that noted conservative news outlet The Hill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/488543-house-democrats-eyeing-much-broader-phase-3-stimulus

Clyburn last week--"This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision."

yep, the dems are gonna do really underhanded things like look after entitlement programs and regulate corporate bailout slush funds which only have oversight from...wait for it...trump. 

maybe read an article before you post it. may prevent future embarrassing moments.

when your only research is from mcconnell’s whining, trump’s lies (it’s all about the workers!) and hilarious right-wing memes, there’s a chance you’re getting some bad info. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/488543-house-democrats-eyeing-much-broader-phase-3-stimulus

Clyburn last week--"This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision."

He's not wrong.  The silver lining in all of this is that the GOP, through obstruction, and pure incompetence, has fucked up everything so badly over the past 20 years, that we're going to need Dem policies like the Green New Deal, and Universal healthcare to climb out of the hole they've dug.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yep, the dems are gonna do really underhanded things like look after entitlement programs and regulate corporate bailout slush funds which only have oversight from...wait for it...trump. 

maybe read an article before you post it. may prevent future embarrassing moments.

when your only research is from mcconnell’s whining, trump’s lies (it’s all about the workers!) and hilarious right-wing memes, there’s a chance you’re getting some bad info. 

You are so far in denial your poster name should be Cleopatra.  And the Democrats are fucked in the election.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/489122-poll-61-of-voters-agree-trump-is-taking-strong-enough-measures

A majority of American voters say they believe the Trump administration is taking strong enough measures to combat the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new survey.

Sixty-one percent of registered voters said they strongly or somewhat agree that the Trump administration is taking strong enough measures to slow or stop the spread of COVID-19, while 39 percent said they strongly or somewhat disagree.

Karlyn Bowman, public opinion analyst and senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, says the poll could be reflecting the "rally-round effect."

"Publics tend to rally around their presidents in time of national emergency, and it's something we've observed in many situations," Bowman told The Hill.

"We're seeing strong agreement in many polls that the Trump administration is taking strong measures," she added, "that said, I think we have to be cautious about the deep differences on Republicans, Democrats, and Independents on your question. We're seeing that in other polls too, which indicates that partisan disagreements are still there, still very powerful and that could limit the rally."

The March 14-15 survey found 88 percent of Republican voters agreed that the Trump White House was taking strong enough measures to combat coronavirus, along with 57 percent of independents. 

However, only 41 percent of Democratic voters felt the same.

The president is receiving mounting pressure to invoke the powers of the Defense Production Act, which would enable mass production of equipment needed to combat the disease such as protective masks, ventilators, and tests.

Hospitals and healthcare workers have reported shortages of such supplies and warn it will only get worse in the coming weeks.

The Hill-HarrisX poll was conducted online among 2,001 registered voters between March 14-15. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.

If 57% of the Independents and 41% of the Democrats think Trump is doing enough to combat this  Trump will carry 35 to 40 states in November.  For the 97,350,295th time your positions are minority positions in this country.  You may be screaming the loudest but you do not have the most mouths.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

You are so far in denial your poster name should be Cleopatra.  And the Democrats are fucked in the election.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/489122-poll-61-of-voters-agree-trump-is-taking-strong-enough-measures

Your trump love and optimism is adorable. His measures won’t be all that popular when over a million people die after he backs off social distancing and continues to refuse to test because it makes him and the numbers look bad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I am going to spoiler this.  A friend of mine has a cousin who is a nurse who sent this to her.  I don't know anything more than it is supposedly an actual accounting.   So take that for what it's worth.  Maybe some of the Surly docs can say what they have to say holds water.   It's pretty scary, imo.  And this is a healthy 31 yo, not an old.

Reveal hidden contents

This is the best description I’ve seen so far of what to expect from Covid-19. I took this from a nurses group but really explains how this effects us differently than respiratory viruses  of the past. *had trouble sharing original post so I copied it* Maybe this can help you.....1)know what to look for and when to act and how important it is to act quickly and 2) really try to not put yourself and others at risk.

****This is from a nurse who became sick: 

COVID19 is not like the flu...at all... How do I know? Because I’ve lived through it to tell the tale!

Memoirs of a 31 y.o. male with no underlying health conditions.

March 3, 2020-Bronchitis like illness started, dry cough, no fever

March 5, 2020-Low grade fever starts, still thinking bronchitis

March 6, 2020-Fever climbs from 99.8 to 102.6 in one hour, thought it was flu and was now outside the Tamiflu window, stayed home for symptom management.

March 9, 2020-Fever of >102 continues, this isn’t flu, go to urgent care, diagnosed with pneumonia, started on Levaquin.

March 11, 2020-3 doses of Levaquin in, no improvement in symptoms, go to ER. Admitted, swabbed for COVID19, IV antibiotics got pneumonia on chest CT.

March 12, 2020-Get to a room and placed on supplemental oxygen via nasal cannula, 1 liter per minute (lpm). I’m only able to achieve 500 on my incentive spirometer, for perspective-my healthy lungs could hit 4000.

March 13, 2020-O2 saturation begins to decline, oxygen increased to 2 lpm, then 3 lpm, then 5 lpm. Oxygen saturation 88% on 5 lpm. The decision is made to use high flow (vapotherm) and move to ICU. Placed on 40 lpm and 60% oxygen. I’m terrified at this point because vapotherm is all that is standing between me and the ventilator. This is the moment I would have died at home had I not come to the hospital when I did. I would have respiratory arrested in my bed.

March 14, 2020-I have a bad coughing spell, my oxygen saturation drops to the 80’s. I’m still on 40 lpm and 60%. I’m trying to gasp for air, but because of the condition of my lungs, can only take small breaths without coughing more. I feel as though I’m about to die, my heart is racing, oxygen still low, and I’m sweating profusely. Im in respiratory distress! I pressed my call light trying to get the attention of anyone who can help. My nurse was in another room tending to another sick patient. Fortunately he sees me and comes to my room. I am now on 40 lpm and 100% oxygen, next step is the ventilator. I’m terrified. My breathing slows as my oxygen saturation slowly returns to the 90’s. I’m weaned back down to 60%. The same thing happens again in the night, and again I thought I was about to leave this world. Again I’m on 100%, this time for several hours. I’m slowly weaned again to 60%.

March 15, 2020-My morning arterial blood gas (which hurts like a 🤬) is normal. I get weaned to 50%.

March 16, 2020-My oxygen saturation is 97%, I’m weaned further to 30 lpm and 40%.

March 17, 2020-I’ve been in ICU 4 days, forced to use a bedpan because my oxygen saturation drops if I turn or even move too much. I am unable to clean myself; I’m feeling completely helpless and so embarrassed, but my nurses were great and very understanding. I now truly understand my patients’ feelings from all these years of nursing. I’m weaned to 25 lpm and 30%. I’m going to the medical floor.

March 18, 2020-I’m weaned to 28%. I can achieve 1500 on my incentive spirometer finally. I’m hopeful to be weaned to a regular nasal cannula. The provider comes in. I’ve been waiting for my swab results. I tested positive for COVID19...6.5 days of waiting for the outside lab to process the lab. I’m relieved because I finally have a diagnosis, a reason I’ve been so sick. I’m weaned to 4 lpm on a regular nasal cannula, 4 hours later I’m weaned to 2 lpm. 4 hours later I’m weaned to room air. My oxygen saturation stats 93% and above all night.

March 19, 2020-As I write this, I’m waiting to attempt a 6 minute walk test to see if my oxygen stays up, so I can go home. I’ve had no visitors this entire time due to my isolation precautions.

Guys, this is why social isolation is a thing. As a 31 y.o., I wasn’t supposed to get sick. I wasn’t supposed to be admitted to the hospital or the ICU for that matter. We’ve already had several deaths from COVID19 in this area. I thank God I wasn’t one of them! However, many won’t be as fortunate as I have been. Many will die, especially those with any lung or heart problems. So please, I beg you to #stayhome

That shit is also banging around my Facebook. 

Also,  I was under the impression that The Shining was a thinly veiled allegory of Stephan King’s battle with alcoholism and familial abuse. But maybe that’s just me.

Edited by Bateshorn

Good lord. A simple Wikipedia search...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hill_(newspaper)

I didn't know Tucker Carlson had the ability to read my mind but apparently he does.  Every single word he speaks here could have came from my thoughts.

You are listening to a propaganda talking head whose sole purpose is to convince you to support Republicans. Every single word out of that station and the people who work there is focused on getting you to support and vote Republican. They don’t care about the truth. They don’t care about facts. Just your vote. Why do they do this? Because people are dumb enough to fall for it.

-Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards 

-A bail out on all current debt at the Postal Service 

-Required early voting 

-Required same day voter registration  

-Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining 

-Full offset of airline emissions by 2025 

-Publication and reporting of greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights  

-Retirement plans for community newspaper employees 

-Federal $15 minimum wage 

-Permanent paid leave

Holding the country hostage to implement ideas the majority of the country resoundingly objects.  What does any of this have to do with the Virus??

How do you defend this and claim to have a moral compass?  Orange man bad?

Disgusting. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

-Publication of corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards 

-Required early voting 

-Permanent paid leave

Holding the country hostage to implement ideas the majority of the country resoundingly objects.  What does any of this have to do with the Virus??

Disgusting. 

Orange man bad.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

I didn't know Tucker Carlson had the ability to read my mind but apparently he does.  Every single word he speaks here could have came from my thoughts.

You're either a complete idiot or a Futureman sock.

8 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Boomers would gladly sacrifice their kids and grandkids if it meant their taxes would go down.

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Sounds like a great conversation for those of us with old Trumpkin relatives to have.

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re at the part where the cult leader asks his followers if they are prepared to die for him.

Don't y'all remember his rallies where he asks supporters if they love their children? He's said it more than once in various formats, including to the farmers. The old people have to sacrifice their Social Security, their Medical Care, their lives so that others may live....to serve the ruling class of oligarchs and grifters. Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what you can do for them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

-Required early voting 

-Permanent paid leave

Disgusting. 

You're either an idiot or a EMAWsome sock.

(Also, post the link where you dug up this shit)

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I closed our Country to China!

150 are dead, sir.

300 are dead, sir.

600 are dead, sir.

1200 are dead, sir...

Who gives a fuck that your incompetent ass took a completely ineffective action?  You had the chance to provide a national defense as great as South Korea but you screwed the pooch AGAIN.  We will be looking longingly at Iran’s covid-2019 story before long.

• Like 2

Okay, EMAW aside, there seems to be enough data points to indicate a slight rise in Trump's approval rating lately.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Any insight as to why that might be?  My gut tells me that people want to believe in their leader during hard times, but then I remember his steep drop during the government shutdown and I can't quite reconcile it.  What am I missing?

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk