CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

21 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

WHERE'S DR. FAUCI?

WHERE ARE THE TESTS?

perhaps you missed the part where we've done more testing in the past 8 days than south korea has done in the past 8 weeks! 

easy to miss, because they only mentioned it 4x in 10 minutes, and i have no idea if it's true or not. 

tremendous response!

There are already questions about "they" needing to shut NYC airports and locking down NOLA where Louisiana already has a statewide SiP in the NO POLITICS thread where only local policy decisions can be discussed. It seems to me those two policy decisions would come the FAA or the Feds in general or the Governor of Louisiana.

I quote:

No more national leadership or mentions - this thread will only be for local instances of public policy by local I mean LOCAL, only city/county level discussion is allowed.

The national and state public policy talk needs to move to Cloak Room as there isn't a conducive way to include it and have members of the board not feel attacked politically.

The punishment will be banishment from DT for the duration of the coronavirus restrictions in Austin TX (I had to choose somewhere and I keep up with where I live). You will not be able to see or participate in any threads in the Daily Texan if you fuck this up.

Oh yeah, there was also "mention" of the WH asking NYC residents to self-quarantine for 14 days upon leaving the city.

BL in his new pinned thread is a little more ambiguous and says no mention of "team" but it's okay to report news. (Ironically, there are several CR regulars bitching about the CR in that one. That's weird.)

He states:

It's mainly the opinion we care about. Reporting news is ok.

Should those two posters be reported spouting their opinions about non-local policy decisions? Or the other one who mentions a WH policy?

Edited by bolverk
Parenthetical pondering

When the red counties burn, The Villages, nursing homes etc...  he's gonna wish he'd done something different.    Florida's economy is NOT built for Social Distancing, perhaps more than any other state.   This is a Faustian deal if there ever was one.
I completely forgot about The Villages. Those people are big time socializers. If it gets there, the whole of NC Florida is in trouble hospital wise. I hope they've closed their bars down at least cuz those olds do not give a fuck.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There are already questions about "they" needing to shut NYC airports and locking down NOLA where Louisiana already has a statewide SiP in the NO POLITICS thread where only local policy decisions can be discussed. It seems to me those two policy decisions would come the FAA or the Feds in general or the Governor of Louisiana.

I quote:

No more national leadership or mentions - this thread will only be for local instances of public policy by local I mean LOCAL, only city/county level discussion is allowed.

The national and state public policy talk needs to move to Cloak Room as there isn't a conducive way to include it and have members of the board not feel attacked politically.

The punishment will be banishment from DT for the duration of the coronavirus restrictions in Austin TX (I had to choose somewhere and I keep up with where I live). You will not be able to see or participate in any threads in the Daily Texan if you fuck this up.

Oh yeah, there was also "mention" of the WH asking NYC residents to self-quarantine for 14 days upon leaving the city.

BL in his new pinned thread is a little more ambiguous and says no mention of "team" but it's okay to report news. (Ironically, there are several CR regulars bitching about the CR in that one. That's weird.)

He states:

Should those two posters be reported spouting their opinions about non-local policy decisions? Or the other one who mentions a WH policy?

You should blame the posters who just couldn’t help themselves from acting like fucking idiots and bleeding over CR derangement. 

The No Politics thread is hilarious. It's not No Politics, it's No Politics that I don't agree with. But it's fine. They've spent multiple days arguing over death rate bets, the different effectiveness levels of masks, and experimental treatments with a nice sprinkling of two posters going after each other at any given time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

This all sets up perfectly for Trump to do what he does best. Sit back, blame other people, and armchair quarterback everything. 

Never mind that he is the leader of the free world, his only function in life is to sit on the sideline and bitch. So that's what he will do. And he will deflect blame by claiming if they had only listened to me and reopened, we'd be fine. Hell by then he'll be arguing that he was always against a lockdown. 

He doesn't actually take positions or make actionable decisions of any worth, because to do so would open him up to possible mistakes. 

Now, when the shutdown lasts longer than Easter he can fire off tweets bitching at states for being anti capitalist pussies.

And if by some miracle we're safe to open by Easter, he'll claim it was all cured because of this arbitrary date that he set. 

Always set yourself up to take all of the credit and none of the blame. 

He's no Winston Churchill.

Ignoring emergency production needs while withholding and personally auctioning off the National Strategic Reserve of ventilators could be a quite a haul.  Am I doing this right ?

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You should blame the posters who just couldn’t help themselves from acting like fucking idiots and bleeding over CR derangement. 

I agree, it did get to be too much and I didn't participate in any of that shit. On the other hand, I think some of the policy talk was okay, but every single mention of anything related to the federal response was declared CLOAK ROOM!1!!

Our overlords have laid down the law, and I really would like it to be applied evenly across the board.

Edited by bolverk
On BOTH sides

Just now, bolverk said:

I agree, it did get to be too much and I didn't participate in any of that shit. On the other hand, I think some of the policy talk was okay, but every single mention of anything related to the federal response was declared CLOAK ROOM!1!!

Our overlords have laid down the law, and I really would like it to be applied evenly across the board.

Yeah, I mean, getting negged for suggesting that maybe a consistent and uniform nationwide policy might be beneficial was interesting. The crazies run that thread (seriously, closetojumping needs medication). 

• Like 2

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, I mean, getting negged for suggesting that maybe a consistent and uniform nationwide policy might be beneficial was interesting. The crazies run that thread (seriously, closetojumping needs medication). 

CTJ is one of the three posters who has already broken the rules.

4 hours ago, workswithseed said:

It's probably cause they're racist to the Chinese people.

I am gonna go on a limb and say Uyghers, Taiwanese, and most Asians don't fucking like China cause of it's Chinese people. Not because of its communist government that kills its people.

God damn racists.

This isn't actually aimed at you, but damn it's tiring to see the "racist" Chinese Virus comment. 

Well, Taiwanese are ethnically identical to most Han Chinese and great swaths of them have family on the mainland.  I think they are mostly opposed to the Chinese Communist Party.

Most countries are racist as fuck, it's a human condition.  Chinese and most of your other Asians spend about zero time around people of other ethnicity, so their racism upon encountering others can be exacerbated.

Most Asian countries kind of hate each other, historically, for regional political reasons.  I'm not sure if the CCP's maltreatment of ethnic minorities, usually religious, is racist or some hangover from the Stalinist/Maoist ideological cleansing thing.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, Taiwanese are ethnically identical to most Han Chinese and great swaths of them have family on the mainland.  I think they are mostly opposed to the Chinese Communist Party.

Most countries are racist as fuck, it's a human condition.  Chinese and most of your other Asians spend about zero time around people of other ethnicity, so their racism upon encountering others can be exacerbated.

Most Asian countries kind of hate each other, historically, for regional political reasons.  I'm not sure if the CCP's maltreatment of ethnic minorities, usually religious, is racist or some hangover from the Stalinist/Maoist ideological cleansing thing.

And then there are folks like my grandmother (RIP), who hated the Japanese and the communist in China more than most can understand. She lived through the Japanese occupation and had to flee, living in caves and running from gunfire, after the communist took over. Just as an example, we didn't know she had a brother in China whom she had been communicating with until after she died. She refused to even let her family know her real (original?) name.  

Edited by Dahobbs

so what about OTHER countries...we can't talk about our own country... can we talk about Italy or UK over there?? or is that also considered "cloak roomy'?

i guess they needed to do something, but that seems like a really weird rule to try and apply, 'local only' 🤨

I quote:
He states:

I’m gonna report all the bitchasses who have been crying for the last two weeks whenever someone criticizes Trump.

The fact that they cannot see that their inability to acknowledge the faults of this administration is just as much a political position is mind blowing.

And don’t get me started on assholes like onboard and immortal WHO POST IN THE CR ALL THE TIME squawking about how terrible we all are.

Seriously, the class privilege of some of those people is something else. It must be nice to imagine that politics isn’t completely wound up in how bad or good the outcome of this will be.

A lot of them live in quite the bubble.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It is possible to participate in a policy discussion without letting your dumbfuck inner CR show.  That is what some posters dont seem to be able to appreciate. 

ETA: It's not too surprising to anyone who some of those posters are. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

It is possible to participate in a policy discussion without letting your dumbfuck inner CR show.  That is what some posters dont seem to be able to appreciate. 

Agreed. And some were trying to have sober discussions and were repeatedly shouted down as CR regardless of intent or actual substance. Others did abuse it; probably Capt Ant and Lobo most egregiously.

By and large, the group over there simply wants to put their fingers in their ears and shout LA-LA-LA unless they get to criticize liberal governors, mayors, or county judges. Oh, and those gotdam ChiComs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

ETA: It's not too surprising to anyone who some of those posters are. 

You literally had a post there that suggested the delayed response to the pandemic was a necessary stratagem of the administration. Correcting that absurd position was considered too "cloak roomy."  How do you respond to idiocy like that without getting political? Let it slide? Is that really the outcome we should want?

Talk about a hellscape.

We have tornadoes moving through tonight and they just showed a shot of inside a local storm shelter on television - 300+ folks (some in masks and gloves, some not) all packed in a high school gym.

I fully expect a bloom in infections to pop up in 10-14 days.

Never been happier to be an essential hospital employee! /s

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

America today is probably the least racist country in history and we’re still pretty damn racist, just subconsciously and refuse to admit it. Its a natural human condition, one with difficulty to be overcome. In America today it’s mainly due to the criminal organization calling itself the Republican Party.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where's your math on lost production due to CV death tolls?  Let's see it.  If you're so damn willing to strike a balance, you'd better have a really fucking sharp pencil.

I took a crack at it earlier today and not one of you pussies was willing to step up and offer any counterpoints.

I guess we could try looking at life years lost? This is all based on just guesstimates. But we can walk through it. Feel free to correct on comment on any numbers. 

For the sake of math we’ll say 300 mil population  

Let’s say 1/2 the population gets infected over the next couple years, not a given.  Of those 0.5% die.  South Korea I believe is around 0.6% and they aren’t testing everybody even though they are doing more per capita. That’s also excluding any therapies we discover and utilize over that timeframe. 

750,000 deaths. The median age of Italians dying is 70, I believe.  Again, not certain.  Let’s say it’s a similar number in America and they would’ve on average lived until 80. 

7.5 million life years lost. Now I understand that doesn’t account for the morbidity, lost production of sick people that don’t die. 

This next part is harder, almost impossible to quantify but we can think about it. In the study I linked the difference in life expectancy between the highest income bracket and the lowest was 15 years for men and 10 years for women. How do you quantify the effect of short to medium term substantial drop in income for a larger number of the population?

In 2008-2009 we had net loss of 8.5 million jobs. I would propose that an extended shutdown of say 3 months will lead to a bigger loss than that. Besides people that lose their jobs completely there’s others that have their businesses shut down or have substantial reduction in their income for an extended period.  If there’s 50 million people that see a substantial reduction in their income and station in life (including middle and working class i.e. not retired) how does that stack up?

It’s not clear cut by any means either way. Like I said I’m fine with what we’re trying now, but to say we should no matter what be shut down for months is too rigid. 

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You literally had a post there that suggested the delayed response to the pandemic was a necessary stratagem of the administration. Correcting that absurd position was considered too "cloak roomy."  How do you respond to idiocy like that without getting political? Let it slide? Is that really the outcome we should want?

By you I don’t think that you are referring to me specifically. correct? 

the appropriate course is to report that post. 

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That whole thread over on DT is political. It's comical.

Maybe we need a code word language.  Like Chad Johnson on Hard Knocks:

Child please = Trump is going to kill us all

shiiiiit = a unified federal response would have shown real leadership

say what? = where are the 4M tests that were coming 10+ days ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Nothing but respect for my President! (with a nice new dye job & Botox).

oh Nick you beautiful man.

<checks memories> shit do I ever hate you

<checks notes> hey nick, can you come be the PM down unda please? we need someone who can accomplish putting together a layered plan of action, shit any action, that isn't retardo world mad max buttfuckery. 

<shoves memory back out of front cortex>

give me the process or give me death!!

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

America today is probably the least racist country in history and we’re still pretty damn racist, just subconsciously and refuse to admit it. Its a natural human condition, one with difficulty to be overcome. In America today it’s mainly due to the criminal organization calling itself the Republican Party.

I used to think this. Then I graduated to realizing the America has the best and worst of everything, ergo extrapolate to racisms

and yes racism is a problem the world around. i prefer to simply call it 'isms'. have your pick, plenty to choose from

38 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Talk about a hellscape.

We have tornadoes moving through tonight and they just showed a shot of inside a local storm shelter on television - 300+ folks (some in masks and gloves, some not) all packed in a high school gym.

I fully expect a bloom in infections to pop up in 10-14 days.

Never been happier to be an essential hospital employee! /s

I have two extra rooms in hou !

20 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey look everyone, Glenn Beck (remember him?) is getting in on the fun.

If he'd rather die than kill the country, he must've had a change of heart recently, because he did more to kill what this country used to be than just about anybody not named Limbaugh or O'Reilly.  Fuck him twice.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

By you I don’t think that you are referring to me specifically. correct? 

the appropriate course is to report that post. 

Oh no, not you specifically. The royal you. My apologies if it read otherwise. 

44 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey look everyone, Glenn Beck (remember him?) is getting in on the fun.

Everybody else that doesn't work from home--go to work and sacrifice!  Says man working from home.    Pretty sure Rush supports this opinion since he works from his bunker.  

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk