CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, Fozzz said:

Cable news is a much bigger problem than Facebook, but of course Pod Boy will limit his critique to FNC and not to CNN and MSNBC, which are equally as bad.  

Maybe they’re as bad about some things but not this. Fox downplayed this just like the president and we’re still struggling to convince people it’s a big deal because of it. 

• Like 2

Just now, 4th&Five said:

Maybe they’re as bad about some things but not this. Fox downplayed this just like the president and we’re still struggling to convince people it’s a big deal because of it. 

How many people do you think were infected as they voted in the recent dem primaries?  Hosts on CNN and MSNBC were arguing that it was our duty to not postpone those elections.  That's not downplaying?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

spacer.png

Shifting into high gear.  No way we aren't COVID-19 World Champs in total positive cases in like a week from now.  

Worst part?  The curve isn't really flattening.  And the entire country isn't on total lockdown, as far as I know.  Still having gatherings (church services, specifically) in Texas last week per DMN.

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Cable news is a much bigger problem than Facebook, but of course Pod Boy will limit his critique to FNC and not to CNN and MSNBC, which are equally as bad.  

Confirmation bias is so strong on facebook though. People tend to only surround themselves with like-minded individuals and shout down any competing views. FB is pretty ridiculous right now.

Just now, pacman said:

Confirmation bias is so strong on facebook though. People tend to only surround themselves with like-minded individuals and shout down any competing views. FB is pretty ridiculous right now.

If Photobucket hadn't gone behind a paywall I wouldn't even use Facebook.  I only upload pix and videos to Facebook to have them in case my computer crashes.

Just now, Bullneck said:

If Photobucket hadn't gone behind a paywall I wouldn't even use Facebook.  I only upload pix and videos to Facebook to have them in case my computer crashes.

For another time or thread, but jeez.  Letting Facebook have your pics is just a nightmare.  Plus, on a technical side, you couldn't download full resolution photos in the future (maybe they changed that aspect).

Backup yes.  But not to Facebook.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'd prefer to be pissed because low information folks keep peddling and recycling the same falsehoods about the alleged "hoax" statement

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fact-check-donald-trump-coronavirus-hoax-south-carolina-rally/

Here's what Snopes says:

What's True

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False

Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

Bottom line: No other president has sunk to lows like Trump, or was as untrustworthy.  You'll split hairs now to suit your argument, but he's scum and you know it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'd prefer to be pissed because low information folks keep peddling and recycling the same falsehoods about the alleged "hoax" statement

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fact-check-donald-trump-coronavirus-hoax-south-carolina-rally/

This is the same schtick as the "he didn't actually call nazis fine people" when he definitely did. There's no reason to believe anything anyone who spouts this shit says, and every reason to immediately question anything they say.

• Like 3

Woke up to the news that one of my oldest friends’ mom is in the hospital with it. Her doctor originally diagnosed her with a sinus infection, she kept getting worse until she went to the ER and they tested her. Had only left the house for groceries. She’s in Pflugerville. 

19 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Awesome.  Enjoy your own hoax in your fact-free echo chamber here.

Also, I'm negging you for the "low information" comment.  YOU are low information.  There's no reason whatsoever for you to feel intellectually superior to anyone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Here's what Snopes says:

Bottom line: No other president has sunk to lows like Trump, or was as untrustworthy.  You'll split hairs now to suit your argument, but he's scum and you know it.

. . . and as it turns out, the question as to whether or not he characterized the coronavirus as a new Democrat hoax is not limited to a single political rally in South Carolina.  Adults who are capable of navigating problems a bit tougher than "gas pedal down, car go faster, brake pedal down, car go slower" can actually observe dozens of Trump statements on video in which it becomes abundantly clear that he absolutely diminished warnings about the severity of the virus, and thus caused well over a month's delay in response that will directly lead to tens of thousands of American deaths.

But sure, let's examine the argument by parsing a single statement made at a single political rally, because MAGA!  Idiots.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

If you have prime, you have unlimited storage of your full-res pictures in prime photos. And has the added benefit of not allowing FB to use your photos and tags to train their facial recognition models and tech.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

If you have prime, you have unlimited storage of your full-res pictures in prime photos. And has the added benefit of not allowing FB to use your photos and tags to train their facial recognition models and tech.

Shit, I have Prime.  I need to do this.

Is there a Windows app for scouring and aggregating all photos on all drives?  I mean, besides buying some stupid thumb drive off an infomercial targeted at people even older than me?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and as it turns out, the question as to whether or not he characterized the coronavirus as a new Democrat hoax is not limited to a single political rally in South Carolina.  Adults who are capable of navigating problems a bit tougher than "gas pedal down, car go faster, brake pedal down, car go slower" can actually observe dozens of Trump statements on video in which it becomes abundantly clear that he absolutely diminished warnings about the severity of the virus, and thus caused well over a month's delay in response that will directly lead to tens of thousands of American deaths.

But sure, let's examine the argument by parsing a single statement made at a single political rally, because MAGA!  Idiots.

Ironically, the DT thread has a good deal of discussion on this back in Feb 28 when the news was happening in real-time.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Shit, I have Prime.  I need to do this.

Is there a Windows app for scouring and aggregating all photos on all drives?  I mean, besides buying some stupid thumb drive off an infomercial targeted at people even older than me?

There's some decent search tools built into the OS to find everyting

This was the first link I found with a walk through on how to use the tooling, but it looks good

41 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Negged for distortion, ignoring context, and the usual third rate sophistry of the new right. The linked piece ignores the context of Trump downplaying the seriousness of the disease by comparing it to the common flu. His advocate/advisers (Limbaugh & Hannity) likewise talked down the threat and repeatedly stated that the hysteria over the disease was/is manufactured as a bludgeon to be used on poor Donald Trump.

To go back to this one incident and argue that Donald Trump was very carefully choosing his words (for once) and not speaking generally as well as idiotically is the sophistry part. Grammar won't save you here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We need more of this. Seattle NPR station. 

I have mixed feelings about that policy.  If legit news sources don’t air the briefings, more people will flock to propaganda outlets to watch them.  And then those propaganda arms will put their own “All hail the Glorious Leader!” spin on it.  A better policy would be to air the briefings while providing reasoned, calm refutation of misstatements.  

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I have mixed feelings about that policy.  If legit news sources don’t air the briefings, more people will flock to propaganda outlets to watch them.  And then those propaganda arms will put their own “All hail the Glorious Leader!” spin on it.  A better policy would be to air the briefings while providing reasoned, calm refutation of misstatements.  

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know how I feel about this under this DOJ and AG.

Anytime the federal government talks about increasing criminal prosecutions, under any administration, you should be angry.  With a few exceptions.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Just have Ron Howard narrate the briefing, interjecting every time Trump says something wrong like he does on Arrested Development.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anytime the federal government talks about increasing criminal prosecutions, under any administration, you should be angry.  With a few exceptions.

Never mind that DOJ is currently advocating for wide-sweeping emergency authorities, including the suspension of habeas corpus

Edited by Captainant

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000007053415/coronavirus-new-york-update.html?action=click&gtype=vhs&version=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area&cview=true&t=2262

Gov. Cuomo talking now.  Basically, he's spieling the strategy for the US after the apex is topped out in NY.  

Very complementary to Trump and Kushner, BTW.   He's past bickering and ready to get things done.  

Edited by Bullneck

Gov Cuomo not pleased with Senate Bill. Says they are looking at a 9-15 billion dollar deficit and the bill would give the state about 3 billion with 1 billion going to NYC. Don’t quote me on numbers, am listening with one ear. 

Ventilators are still an issue but they are getting caught up on other supplies. Pleas for other states to send theirs and he will guarantee that they will return the favor when the need arises in a new hotspot. 

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

This is not the wrong take. My biggest worry is loss of freedoms for everyone. I don't want this to be this decades 9/11 where we lost our 4th amendment freedoms.

I think the same of a gradual scale of coming back to work while those who need it to be given care through private and public means. I've become pretty libertarian as I've aged, but I don't want people to die cause they can't fend for themselves since govt closed the country more or less.

We need widespread testing before we can get back to normalish life. This is largely the difference between South Korea and us. 

Invoke the defense production act. Heavy funding into test production and medical equipment production. And release the national ventilator stockpile. This is the purpose of stockpiling in the first place. If you don't release the stockpile in an emergency, then what is the point of stockpiling in the first place?  I'm about 90% sure that fuckhead is trying to hold onto them until red states need them so he can release them to red states only. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's just so funny how much worse the anti-CR circlejerk is than the actual CR. 

To me, the coronavirus topic is an inherently political issue. And if you are such a sensitive baby that your eyes can't STAND to see political talk, maybe don't post in the coronavirus thread.

And maybe when someone keeps reporting posts from specific users and quoting them and writing paragraphs long responses whining about how terrible their posts are, you can just instruct that user that there is an ignore feature, and that they don't need to keep shitting up the thread quoting that person 1000 times and going an a separate rant in each one that has zero relation to the actual coronavirus topic.

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong and this attitude is exactly why I had to change the rules again. It's a public policy issue, yes - it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The people in these posts literally don't matter, the teams they represent also don't matter. The actions actively being taken by the government have absolutely nothing to do with politics, they have to do with public policy. If you don't understand the difference between the 2 thats not a bad thing, they are often very tightly coupled - however they are NOT the same.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Also, I'm negging you for the "low information" comment.  YOU are low information.  There's no reason whatsoever for you to feel intellectually superior to anyone.

Well there are two reasons: Dunning and Kruger

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

No doubt this will take toll on him physically.  With his strategy of solving the problem at hand in place he will sleep deprived through February.

He has never had to work before. This is killing him. He thought being the President was the same as being a scripted reality tv show host which was mostly photoshoots and acting like he had something important to do.
  • Like 2

When we look back and do the autopsy on the death rate of the virus, you are going to find more dead Republican friends than Democratic friends.  Unfortunately at the worst possible time Republicans are gonna realize that facts do matter.

World 1: Whom Democrats trust for coronavirus information, per a CBS/YouGov poll: the CDC 87 percent, your governor 75 percent, the national media 72 percent, friends and family 72 percent, religious leaders 44 percent, President Trump 14 percent.

World 2: Whom Republicans trust, according to the same poll: Trump 90 percent, the CDC 84 percent, friends and family 81 percent, religious leaders 71 percent, your governor 65 percent, the national media 13 percent.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-living-two-different-worlds-125304310.html

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong and this attitude is exactly why I had to change the rules again. It's a public policy issue, yes - it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The people in these posts literally don't matter, the teams they represent also don't matter. The actions actively being taken by the government have absolutely nothing to do with politics, they have to do with public policy. If you don't understand the difference between the 2 thats not a bad thing, they are often very tightly coupled - however they are NOT the same.

Public policy IS politics.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk