CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

54 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Never mind that DOJ is currently advocating for wide-sweeping emergency authorities, including the suspension of habeas corpus

Parts of that seem reasonable for while courts are on "limited duty."  But it does seem that they are sneaking some elements of martial law in there.

Of course, nothing in the federal criminal system, absent perhaps the highly theoretical terrorism prosecutions, require arrest in the current environment, thereby avoiding due process problems.

Edited by TwiceHorn

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong and this attitude is exactly why I had to change the rules again. It's a public policy issue, yes - it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The people in these posts literally don't matter, the teams they represent also don't matter. The actions actively being taken by the government have absolutely nothing to do with politics, they have to do with public policy. If you don't understand the difference between the 2 thats not a bad thing, they are often very tightly coupled - however they are NOT the same.

Public policy is dictated by politics. How can you have a discussion about Effectiveness of public policy without discussing the reasons that decisions were made?

• Like 7

How many people do you think were infected as they voted in the recent dem primaries?  Hosts on CNN and MSNBC were arguing that it was our duty to not postpone those elections.  That's not downplaying?

The issue in Ohio that set them off was the fact a court had ordered the election to continue - and the Gov responded to that legal defeat by cancelling the election anyway.

Some nuance there.

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong and this attitude is exactly why I had to change the rules again. It's a public policy issue, yes - it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. The people in these posts literally don't matter, the teams they represent also don't matter. The actions actively being taken by the government have absolutely nothing to do with politics, they have to do with public policy. If you don't understand the difference between the 2 thats not a bad thing, they are often very tightly coupled - however they are NOT the same.

If people ignore the political aspect/fallout of this crisis it will only ensure that it happens again.

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Public policy IS politics.

Wanted: Some one to go back in time with me.

Spoiler

Must bring your own weapons.

Spoiler

• Like 2

Florida is wanting to end social distancing and questioning if closing school has any impact to manage the pandemic. I get the impression we are going to have to experience wide spread infections and deaths for certain parts of the country (Trumpians) to take this seriously. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

But we can't talk outside of CR about how we're fucking up the global pandemic response because otherwise it'll be political.

Fucks sake. Our fucking thread titles are still using the politicized name "chinese coronavirus" @immamac. I posted about it like a fucking month ago and was jeered uniformly for being a snowflake, but this isn't being precious or trying to get a gotcha moment in. It's just following the fucking guidelines from the medical experts.

edit: credit where it's due to the mods, thread titles were updated to be COVID-19

Edited by Captainant

31 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

lulz, this is the intellectual backbone of the Republican party...welp, I hope Republicans do it and end up killing themselves. 

Genius! Let's kill 2 birds though, by formalizing cruise ships as the optimal coronavirus exposure environment and prop up the industry while we're at it. C'mon Federalist readers, buy your coronavirus cruise today!

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

"they" doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does to you.

The kindest interpretation of "they" (for them) would be the federal bureaucracy that is stonewalling our fine president from taking real pinpoint action like the go getter he is.  The not so kind versions include conspiracies, the Chinese, DOD,  the black crusaders, Dems, teenage acne, etc. ..basically anybody besides The Pres and anyone else with an R by their name.

There are no cracks, this is a circling of the wagons and assigning blame to the usual bogeymen.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Awesome.  Enjoy your own hoax in your fact-free echo chamber here.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Negged for distortion, ignoring context, and the usual third rate sophistry of the new right. The linked piece ignores the context of Trump downplaying the seriousness of the disease by comparing it to the common flu. His advocate/advisers (Limbaugh & Hannity) likewise talked down the threat and repeatedly stated that the hysteria over the disease was/is manufactured as a bludgeon to be used on poor Donald Trump.

To go back to this one incident and argue that Donald Trump was very carefully choosing his words (for once) and not speaking generally as well as idiotically is the sophistry part. Grammar won't save you here.

The one thing he is good at is being vague and muddying water.  He just has a knack for saying things in a way that can be taken more ways than one.  Always leaving himself an escape route.  

42 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I've been hearing about how hot weather is going to kill the virus . . .

Climate change to the rescue?

51 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

*Raises hand to speak*

"Oooo, I have a list of names for your Corona Carnival!" The Federalist may want to talk to the governor of Kentucky since I believe he has a different perspective.

Here comes the kool aid.  Gotta be red, so which one?  cherry, watermelon or strawberry?

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

But we can't talk outside of CR about how we're fucking up the global pandemic response because otherwise it'll be political.

Fucks sake. Our fucking thread titles are still using the politicized name "chinese coronavirus" @immamac. I posted about it like a fucking month ago and was jeered uniformly for being a snowflake, but this isn't being precious or trying to get a gotcha moment in. It's just following the fucking guidelines from the medical experts.

Um, I named it. And that is what The WHO was calling it. This was before it was sequenced as COVID 19. Sorry for listening to the WHO.

• Like 3

Blackburn on the Senate floor right now saying we cannot move forward scientifically if we don't admit the Chinese are to blame. 

That's the priority - of course - for the Waffle House voters. 

* Waffle House voter - "There is no crisis until the Waffle Houses start closing."

Edited by washparkhorn

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk
5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Blackburn on the Senate floor right now saying we cannot move forward scientifically if we don't admit the Chinese are to blame. 

* Waffle House voter - "There is no crisis until the Waffle Houses start closing."

Hey America, last one out, turn off the lights

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

for the last time, the whv's are not the issue here.

40 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Um, I named it. And that is what The WHO was calling it. This was before it was sequenced as COVID 19. Sorry for listening to the WHO.

I'm talking when imma renamed both threads and chose to keep the politicized name. And they changed the title over here to the politicized name as well.

EDIT: and as I say that, the names are updated. Cheers.

Edited by Captainant

This is a tough problem but it seems to me a 6 week full closure of all but essential business and if even 85 to 90 percent of the American idiots can manage to obey it this would drastically decrease in 6 weeks. Everyone who was infected before the shut down and almost everyone in their home who became infected would no longer be contagious after 6 weeks. Then things could open up slowly. 

What would also help is if we could procure/manufacture the masks needed for everyone to wear one while in public after things open back up for at least another 4-6 weeks. Just those two things coupled with big industry and govt taking care of the small/medium business and worker during that 6 week shut down and we'd tackle this thing. 

Problem is big business/govt doesn't give a shit, we're completely unprepared, and the spoiled ass American is too big of a selfish fuck to follow the temporary rules for even a 3 month span. 

• Like 6

Just now, Junior Miller said:

This is a tough problem but it seems to me a 6 week full closure of all but essential business and if even 85 to 90 percent of the American idiots can manage to obey it this would drastically decrease in 6 weeks. Everyone who was infected before the shut down and almost everyone in their home who became infected would no longer be contagious after 6 weeks. Then things could open up slowly. 

What would also help is if we could procure/manufacture the masks needed for everyone to wear one while in public after things open back up for at least another 4-6 weeks. Just those two things coupled with big industry and govt taking care of the small/medium business and worker during that 6 week shut down and we'd tackle this thing. 

Problem is big business/govt doesn't give a shit, we're completely unprepared, and the spoiled ass American is too big of a selfish fuck to follow the temporary rules for even a 3 month span. 

Yep.  And we have positive examples with China and South Korea and even Japan.  But we refuse to do it.  Makes me ragey.  We really will be the only ones still in the shit while other countries are getting back to normal.