CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if everything is gonna be cool by easter, then why do we need a multi-trillion dollar stimulus package?

I keep asking this and I'm being serious.  It's a media hoax that will be over in two weeks but we need $2T immediately.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

People still have no clue how ugly this is going to get and how long it’s going to go on.  We’re not like Italy or Spain in this, we’re in a much worse position.

Actually, I think it's going to be shorter, because we're not meaningfully flattening the curve.  This is going to burn really hot, but somewhat really fast.

Pandemic is too clinical a word. This is a plague. It's horrible. I'm just getting an inkling of how this works on individuals.

We need to reserve beach resorts for the summer months where medical workers can go to recover before this plague returns in the fall.

Persons who choose to nurse are already special in that they may be cleaning shit off a patient one minute and pumping someone's chest the next. What these fine people will go through during this plague daunts me almost as much as the fear I have of drowning in my own bloody fluids. They will carry so much of this with them when it's over.

I wish a major news outlet would personalize what this disease means.

Stay healthy, my friends. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Actually, I think it's going to be shorter, because we're not meaningfully flattening the curve.  This is going to burn really hot, but somewhat really fast.

We’re going to have localized outbreaks all over the country for months because we have given up on containment and there was no national lockdown.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Jesus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-hospitals.amp.html#click=https://t.co/N6MaaPKMWa

1a749568b9f25629830f19484983e0be.jpg

Our lives are being weighed against the stock market and Trump’s poll numbers.

No they're not.  That would imply that our lives have ANY weight to him.  They don't.  He doesn't care about a single human being other than himself.  The only thing that matters is his popularity, praise of him, and his poll numbers.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And come back next Fall.  Fauci said it's picking up steam in the southern hemisphere, as they turn to their Fall.  Spanish Flu 2: Trump Buggaloo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

we shut down pretty quickly out here (california).  sf first then la a couple days later.  there is typically traffic here from 730am until 830pm.  i've been out there lately and it's a fucking ghost town.  like surreal movie-back-lot photoshop weird.  if we can't flatten the curve with this type of behavior, then we are all kinds of fucked.

guess we'll see how we come out of it in 2-3 weeks (full incubation period). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Louisiana's diagnosed cases of the new coronavirus climbed by another 407 to a total of 1,795 on Wednesday as test results continued to pour in by the thousands.

The overall increase marked the largest single-day increase of new cases, along with 19 new deaths associated with the virus, according to information released by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.

The surge in cases was not unexpected, as new testing capacity is brought online to help confirm cases among residents.

But Wednesday's numbers suggest that the number of cases outside of the New Orleans area, which has been the epicenter of the outbreak so far, are rising rapidly.

There are now 65 coronavirus-related deaths reported. There have now cases identified in 48 of Louisiana's 64 parishes and 19 parishes have seen at least one death.

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Pandemic is too clinical a word. This is a plague. It's horrible. I'm just getting an inkling of how this works on individuals.

We need to reserve beach resorts for the summer months where medical workers can go to recover before this plague returns in the fall.

Persons who choose to nurse are already special in that they may be cleaning shit off a patient one minute and pumping someone's chest the next. What these fine people will go through during this plague daunts me almost as much as the fear I have of drowning in my own bloody fluids. They will carry so much of this with them when it's over.

I wish a major news outlet would personalize what this disease means.

Stay healthy, my friends. 

One thing which crossed my mind is stop calling them Cases and start calling them Humans. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

And come back next Fall.  Fauci said it's picking up steam in the southern hemisphere, as they turn to their Fall.  Spanish Flu 2: Trump Buggaloo

this is gonna be bad.

people are going to emerge in june like cocky mother-fucking americans.  see, bitch.  we came, we saw, we kicked its ass.

then october rolls around, and it's gonna make march look like january.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we shut down pretty quickly out here (california).  sf first then la a couple days later.  there is typically traffic here from 730am until 830pm.  i've been out there lately and it's a fucking ghost town.  like surreal movie-back-lot photoshop weird.  if we can't flatten the curve with this type of behavior, then we are all kinds of fucked.

quoting myself with a link and stats.  if this is accurate, california is 3rd in total cases, but only 8th in new cases.  i guess that's promising?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Why does Trump think everything will go back to normal if we open things back up? 

Even if the US is fine, no one is going to be traveling anywhere as other countries are still melting down. 

In case you haven't noticed, he's a fucking moron. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Do you think a CEO might APPRECIATE it if the President used the Defense Protection Act because that CEO's Board and Shareholders might be angry if the CEO volunteered full attention to the shortages?

Seems to me, the Defense Protection Act provides safe harbor for CEO's to act in the best interest of the sick and dying. 

It's a different era, but used to be that major corporations were proud of their civic contributions during times of trouble.  My grandparents had a bunch of WWII era National Geographics.  Every advertisement in them was a company touting its materiel contributions.  Boeing.  Fisher Autobody. Coca-Cola. Hershey.  You name it.  It was fascinating.

1 hour ago, zork said:

Pros and cons when deciding where you will live.

Penelope had mentioned one person in nyc dying every 9 minutes before this crisis.  Seems like a big deal.  

I live in DFW.  We aren't as dense though to be sure.  My allergies kick up this time of year.  Had a couple times in the past few weeks that I was thinking if I had CV or not.  Fortunately the basic allergy medicine stopped the snot and I'm chalking it up to allergy.  Fuck Putin, BTW. 

In 2019, 219 people in total died from auto accidents in NYC.  199 people and climbing have died so far from coronavirus in NYC in less than a month. Yeah same thing. 

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

In 2019, 219 people in total died from auto accidents in NYC.  199 people and climbing have died so far from coronavirus in NYC in less than a month. Yeah same thing. 

As I posted earlier, the daily US death toll from coronavirus should pass cancer in 10 days and vehicular accidents the day following.

Give or take.  Extrapolation, tricky stuff.  I could be off . . . by a day.

12 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Precisely at the same time polls start coming out that show an upward swing in Trump's approval ratings and other polls come out that show more people trust Trump's briefings than trust the media that is covering them the media decides to stop showing Trump's briefings.  I'm sure it's all just a coincidence.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Precisely at the same time polls start coming out that show an upward swing in Trump's approval ratings and other polls come out that show more people trust Trump's briefings than trust the media that is covering them the media decides to stop showing Trump's briefings.  I'm sure it's all just a coincidence.

It's ok, Trump was doomed from the coming Joe-mentum anyway. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Negged for saying shit with nothing to back it up. Fuck off. 

He got a rally bump. He's still unpopular. 

However, compared with typical rally-around-the-flag effects that follow national crises, these gains are fairly meager. For instance, Bush’s approval rating improved from 51 percent to 86 percent following the September 11 attacks, and Carter’s approval rating nearly doubled in 1979 in the immediate wake of the Iran hostage crisis. (Granted, both of their ratings declined sharply from there.) But Trump is also not seeing nearly as much of an approval rating bounce as other leaders in Western countries, such as Italy’s Giuseppe Conte, France’s Emmanuel Macron, and the UK’s Boris Johnson. So it’s not clear that a small approval rating gain is a bullish sign for Trump.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trumps-reelection-may-hinge-on-the-economy-and-coronavirus/

Edited by cactusflinthead
Actual fucking numbers
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

A fucking cease and desist letter?  From the PRESIDENT?  Seriously?  I’d do the whole Walter Sobchak prior restraint quote but this shit is most definitely not funny.

Remember back when conservatives were so worried that hippies and college kids and liberal academics were absolutely destroying free speech by doing things like... well, speaking out?  I guaran-damn-tee they won’t say shit about this latest direct assault by Trump on the Constitution.  Fucking UnAmerican assholes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

My oldest in Pasadena was in self quarantine because a lab mate had symptoms and they sent everyone home (no tests). While that was going on, the Governor shut everything down so by the time she could actually go out, there wasn’t much point except for food. Fortunately she had gotten some provisions back in January and early Feb before being isolated. 

From talking with her I got the impression the Governor realized pretty quickly he needed to go ahead and act; and perhaps that helped them keep things a little more spread out? Plus their transportation resembles Texas with sprawl everywhere more than it does the East Coast. My daughter said people were varied with the amount of compliance at first, but got more proactive as things went on. It’s still going to cost them (and NY) a fortune and I hold Trump and his idea of obeisance at fault. His rallies bankrupt cities, the virus bankrupts everybody and he just throws up his hands and closes his eyes: “That’s the way the world works “ 

Well, that pancake-spackled puddinhead is going to discover that the world is a cruel mistress and she will defeat him. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As I posted earlier, the daily US death toll from coronavirus should pass cancer in 10 days and vehicular accidents the day following.

Anecdotally, drivers seem way more reckless in NYC right now.  Traffic slowed them down before and cops were still doing traffic stops. 

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

He says, without citing which polls he's referencing. 

1 hour ago, zork said:

I alluded to it up thread, after that initial post you quoted. 

One specific thing is the pros and cons of public transportation with an insidious virus that is spreadable but not easily detected, asymptomatic, for days before it shows itself.  People on that said public transportation didn't/don't have  a chance or a choice since many don't have/need cars but still need to get to work.  You take the pros and cons when you decide to live in NYC like anywhere else.  I wanted to see if he has come to grips, self acknowledged, with that blessing/curse. 

I had the chance to move to the Boston area for work and declined, had the chance to move to San Jose in a different scenario and declined(looking back the San Jose thing might have been really really good.  DFW is fine though.  

So you're saying the next time there's a hurricane in Houston or a tornado in Oklahoma, the feds should say fuck it.  You decided to move there, with all the pros and cons.  

• Like 1

So I’ll ask again...is that that specifically covid deaths or covid + infinite number of health problems that could’ve caused the death.

9 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Ok. Now do the briefings w/o Drs Fauci, Birx, and Giroir for a week as a control. 

Then watch the market and polls and then report the results. Perhaps then a discussion might be more fruitful. 

Just now, lemonlime said:

So you're saying the next time there's a hurricane in Houston or a tornado in Oklahoma, the feds should say fuck it.  You decided to move there, with all the pros and cons.  

Aren't the feds bringing a  medical ship and MASH tents to NY?  In DFW there is county level organization for the response so far setting policy.  

I haven't seen the details on the fed plans for hospitals but did see that Cuomo didn't think it was enough.

We’re going to have localized outbreaks all over the country for months because we have given up on containment and there was no national lockdown.

We gave up containment 2 weeks ago after most social aspects of life were closed, sports, schools, malls and theaters?

We’re going to go on 5 days now without doubling the daily case count. Real flat there. We’re entering the days that social distancing was really imposed.

Not sure why Louisiana of all places is having troubles. They just had to have Mardi Gras I guess?

1 minute ago, zork said:

Aren't the feds bringing a  medical ship and MASH tents to NY?  In DFW there is county level organization for the response so far setting policy.  

I haven't seen the details on the fed plans for hospitals but did see that Cuomo didn't think it was enough.

Ventilators dumbass. Gloves, masks. They are parking freezer trucks to serve as a morgue. Tremendous boat.

Trump is withholding aid to NY because he's a spiteful POS. He doesn't have any empathy for anyone. Including you.

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So I’ll ask again...is that that specifically covid deaths or covid + infinite number of health problems that could’ve caused the death.

I have no fucking idea.  Do your own math -- I looked up "cancer deaths" and "vehicle deaths" and used the CDC's coronavirus death tolls.

Jesus Christ, man.  Sorry the simple math is so upsetting.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We gave up containment 2 weeks ago after most social aspects of life were closed, sports, schools, malls and theaters?

We’re going to go on 5 days now without doubling the daily case count. Real flat there. We’re entering the days that social distancing was really imposed.

Not sure why Louisiana of all places is having troubles. They just had to have Mardi Gras I guess?

Did you see the Atlanta airport photos last week when the travel restrictions ramped up? For some areas, I do think the physical isolation and distancing is going to slow it down but other places are just getting started. The JHU map has Texas looking like a kid with measles-red spots everywhere. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have no fucking idea.  Do your own math -- I looked up "cancer deaths" and "vehicle deaths" and used the CDC's coronavirus death tolls.

Jesus Christ, man.  Sorry the simple math is so upsetting.

Has to be brightline for some people.  If someone has a recoverable heart attack and drives their car off an overpass during it, whats the cause of death?

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

Did you see the Atlanta airport photos last week when the travel restrictions ramped up? For some areas, I do think the physical isolation and distancing is going to slow it down but other places are just getting started. The JHU map has Texas looking like a kid with measles-red spots everywhere. 

Yea it was bad. All air travel was handled bad. It still is