CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

The Coronavirus tracker I'm following indicates the US passed up Italy for total number of cases today, and may pass China yet today.  They've reported bad numbers previously, and had to revise them back, but certainly the US is about to pass both countries sometime in the next 48 hours. 

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

that’sashame.gif

Yeah, seems like they should go to the Bahamas and put their hand out. 

But if we are gonna bail them out, we should also force them to abide by US labor law which they have been actively avoiding.

Personally, I think we should just let them fold and liquidate. Their assets will be purchased, new companies will be formed, and they'll hire the same workers and treat them poorly under Bahaman labor law.  Probably under barely different leadership.  I see no reason to bail out C suite people and investors alone. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The Coronavirus tracker I'm following indicates the US passed up Italy for total number of cases today, and may pass China yet today.  They've reported bad numbers previously, and had to revise them back, but certainly the US is about to pass both countries sometime in the next 48 hours. 

And should some brave journalist query Trump about this in today's presser will the response be:

A) you're fake news

B) that's a nasty question

C) we shut down travel from China early, we saved millions of lives

or

D) the system was broken

43 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Denton ISD has extended school closure.

March 26, 2020 – In support of the “Stay at Home” Order issued by Denton County Judge Andy Eads, the following school districts in Denton County announced they have extended districtwide closure through Sunday, April 19.

Students, parents and staff of the following districts are urged by their leaders to remain vigilant in their efforts to stay healthy and stay at home.

• Aubrey ISD
  • Argyle ISD
  • Denton ISD
  • Krum ISD
  • Lake Dallas ISD
  • Lewisville ISD
  • Little Elm ISD
  • Pilot Point ISD
  • Ponder ISD
  • Sanger ISD

Schools and offices in these districts are scheduled to reopen on Monday, April 20. Administrative teams in each district will continue to evaluate the recommendations of the Denton County Public Health (DCPH) department as well as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to determine whether a longer closure beyond April 19 will be necessary.

Yeah, nobody in this state should think there will be any school until August.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, seems like they should go to the Bahamas and put their hand out. 

But if we are gonna bail them out, we should also force them to abide by US labor law which they have been actively avoiding.

Personally, I think we should just let them fold and liquidate. Their assets will be purchased, new companies will be formed, and they'll hire the same workers and treat them poorly under Bahaman labor law.  Probably under barely different leadership.  I see no reason to bail out C suite people and investors alone. 

Yeah, this. Cruise lines are about as far from an essential industry as it gets. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep. The idea that hospitals should always have the capacity to handle a pandemic is ridiculous.  Scale up absolutely needs to come from the fed gov't.  Firm plans and trigger events need to be established and they need to be followed. We should not be learning as we go on this like we are. 

You don't size the church for Easter Sunday.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

We might actually be getting dumber as we go.

Yep. I'll see you at church on Easter. Maybe my kids grandparents will be there too, but by then they will be a few weeks into the plan to sacrifice themselves for the economy so who knows.

50 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Denton ISD has extended school closure.

March 26, 2020 – In support of the “Stay at Home” Order issued by Denton County Judge Andy Eads, the following school districts in Denton County announced they have extended districtwide closure through Sunday, April 19.

Students, parents and staff of the following districts are urged by their leaders to remain vigilant in their efforts to stay healthy and stay at home.

• Aubrey ISD
  • Argyle ISD
  • Denton ISD
  • Krum ISD
  • Lake Dallas ISD
  • Lewisville ISD
  • Little Elm ISD
  • Pilot Point ISD
  • Ponder ISD
  • Sanger ISD

Schools and offices in these districts are scheduled to reopen on Monday, April 20. Administrative teams in each district will continue to evaluate the recommendations of the Denton County Public Health (DCPH) department as well as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to determine whether a longer closure beyond April 19 will be necessary.

Just the option of letting some kids go to school in one district and others stay home in another seems like about the dumbest idea in the history of ideas. 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Any of them that controlled by publicly traded companies, there's your answer.  Long term plans and sound decision making go out the window the moment that happens.

Worse with private equity and that is a dominant hospital owner in this country.

• Like 2

Just now, Bullneck said:

Just the option of letting some kids go to school in one district and others stay home in another seems like about the dumbest idea in the history of ideas. 

Oklahoma canceled school in person for the rest of this semester; schools are scrambling on how to deliver content, etc to finish out the academic year.

Not that it lessens the seriousness, but weren't we expected to pass most countries in overall cases based on our population? Isn't the more relevant stat the rate of infection and where we might see a flattening of the curve? Also assuming that China is fudging their numbers significantly. I might be wrong, maths is not my strong suit.

1 hour ago, cam4mav said:

Seattle resident here. Our gov Jay Inslee just had a press conference.

I'm going to try and find a recording of it and i'll add if I find it.

Notes so far, but I joined it partway through. Thought this might be of interest and a good change of pace.

- currently not overloaded, but trending to be over capacity and we will need ventilators AND doctors.

-Asking for retired and fresh out of school personnel to join the work force.

- Sourcing ventilators, PPE, etc is troubling. Vendors are asking well above normal prices. Is reaching out to other countries including china. A federal strong hand to drive supply and regulate cost would have a hugely positive impact

- just like everybody else, praised the administration Trump and Pence, for their open communication with the state. Having "good conversations"

- When asked for how those conversations go, he visibly had to pause and just say they are going well and we want to keep that communication going. Sure looks like he wants to call Trump a numpty but can't cause he knows he'll get cut off.

-When asked if he gave recommendations to Trump, he declined to get specific but suggested they are similar to what he's telling the state right now, which has been this is a long way from over and to continue to take this very seriously. It will take time to flatten the curve and get through it. Don't travel, stay in your neighborhood. Stay at home. limit the spread of this both from a person to person standpoint but also geographically to help with supply logistics.

-Clarity on a testing rule. We have federal provided test kits on hand, but they can't be processed by commercial non federal labs. UW is standing by wanting and able to process tests and is able to handle a large amount, but aren't legally able to. This has been brought up to Pence.

- Indicated we will maintain policies until we are positive that relaxing policies will not result in a resurgence of the virus. This will by nature take weeks... Pretty sure he wants to say it will be over a month but is hesitating to outright contradict the president cause he'll get butthurt.

I'm glad to live in an area where people are taking this seriously both locally and at local govt level. 

Video has been uploaded. general testing question @ 42:30 and his specific comment about fed rule is @ 43:23

https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2020031188&autoStartStream=true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

p-values in this (and most) context(s) are fools good.  We need precision around the point estimate and generalizability.  The study design is flawed. At a minimum the results should be robust to treating the drop-outs as failures. We need much larger sample size. New York, Chicago, Washington, etc. should provide more than sufficient cases to enroll in a proper RCT.  There should be preliminary impressions being developed by the ID docs aready, and if they are seeing a signal we should have a proper interim efficacy analysis that can inform next steps.  Meanwhile the EMA is trying to get folks to register all interventional or observations studies taking place in europe, and make out transparent public disclosure of the results ASAP.  We will have sufficient data very soon.  People, including the Orange Man, need to fucking chill.  

eh, I don't agree with all that.  The minimum requirement was that participants complete 6 days of testing.  Any subject that couldn't do that didn't have data included piecemeal.  Treating dropouts as "failures" (how you're defining that I have no idea) is not sound.  Despite the dropouts, which happen in most every clinical trial, there were enough subjects in both the treatment group and the unmedicated control group who completed a sufficient duration of participation for valid statistical analysis.  Again there was a control group - albeit the design wasn't randomized or blinded.  There are more robust models with larger sample sizes forthcoming, but this study is pretty standard given the circumstances.  It provides a clear reason to proceed further, not to abandon and look elsewhere.  It's pretty basic stuff.  I'm not saying "Eureka!", but given a quick risk/benefit analysis for a positive symptomatic covid case, I wouldn't defer having a conversation.

The printed study: Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an openlabel non-randomized clinical trial

The graphs on pages 24-25 are helpful visuals.  

• Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Also assuming that China is fudging their numbers significantly. I might be wrong, maths is not my strong suit.

Do you think our number of confirmed cases is representative of our total number of cases?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Worse with private equity and that is a dominant hospital owner in this country.

You could make a strong case that private equity is one of the most destructive things to ever touch American society.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oklahoma canceled school in person for the rest of this semester; schools are scrambling on how to deliver content, etc to finish out the academic year.

It's been an ongoing process with both my 15 year old and 8 year old.  Mostly a heavier dose of interactive learning that they were already doing, but they're trying to put together and email lesson plans to us daily.  We've been working through some of the recommendations from the last round of PTCs each evening as well.  It's opened up a lot of issues regarding student meals and childcare, but a lot of people are trying to chip in and help where we can. 

I will say that shutting them down may be the one thing in this godforsaken state that they've actually gotten right since the pandemic began.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Do you think our number of confirmed cases is representative of our total number of cases?  

No, but most are admitting that its due to lack of testing. Even the okie redass governor admitted that our actual cases are probably at least double the confirmed cases. And while the trumpsters (i.e. the entirety of the gop) are blaming china in ways that are meant to deflect criticism, I do think that China likely has some intentional lying in their numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I wonder if we will ever get real data on Russia. It's going to be a mess over there for a long time. 

No on Russia or China. Even here what percentage of cases will be confirmed? The numbers  posted are positives from test taken 4 days ago. How many people who are positive will go untested?

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yeah, nobody in this state should think there will be any school until August.

My two HS kids are supposed to play Carnegie Hall in mid-June.

I've cautioned them that this is not happening, in any way shape or form.

School administrators continue to hold out hope.  LMAO.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Quick question on the drug Trump keeps touting.  My Trumpkin friends keep touting it as some wonder drug and this will be over by next week and Trump will get credit for saving all of our eternal souls.  The medical professionals I see seem less enthused.

Anyone know the story on that drug in layman's terms?

Poison?

55 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Quick question on the drug Trump keeps touting.  My Trumpkin friends keep touting it as some wonder drug and this will be over by next week and Trump will get credit for saving all of our eternal souls.  The medical professionals I see seem less enthused.

Anyone know the story on that drug in layman's terms?

There's not a consensus yet.  Different studies have applied different non-overlapping parameters  A French study used a 50% higher dose of the med than the Chinese study.  That could mean the difference between therapeutic response and sub-therapeutic dosing.  That's a thing.  The French study also had another group which combined a second drug .The French study was not fraudulent.  There are more robust experimental designs that will tell a lot more time, but time is of the essence right now.  If anything, the first thing you look at from these basic studies is basic safety.

We will be learning in the next 2-3 weeks about duplicate and variant studies, and other studies we haven't heard about.  Obviously it's moving fast.  Despite numerous positive case reports and reports of active protocols being actively used in multiple countries, it is premature to call anything a wonder treatment.  stay at home.

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The JHU tracker I've been using here currently has at #3.  But we'll be #1 by tomorrow evening.

15 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I scrolled around on that.  There are no new cases on the Diamond Princess.

No, but the deaths went up to 10.  

I think the Diamond Princess is a good case study for the theory that the assumed mortality rate may be exaggerated due to silent carriers.  Everyone on the boat was tested.  712 people tested positive, regardless if they had symptoms.  So far, 10 of them have died. That's a 1.4% mortality rate.  And there are still 15 people in serious condition.  Granted, cruise passengers may not represent a representative demographic slice of the population, age wise  I would assume they tend to be older.  But, they were healthy enough to engage in international travel.  These weren't people warehoused in an old folks home waiting for the angel of death.  They were still doing shit.  

I assume someone has compared the fatality rates for the various age groups against less controlled groups of infected. 

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, no more school in Alabama until August at the earliest.

My poor senior is crushed.

Here we are being told Mid April. My Senior is taking it well but realizes there will be no prom, no graduation, etc. They can handle it. Let your senior know they will have their day! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

For Zork:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-man-arrested-licking-poll-belgium-20200312-u4p7gqntmfa2njuqt7md4ysiru-story.html

One damn google search took two seconds to find that.   It was in Belgium.   Easily confused with Wuhan.

Wait.  We were supposed to take anything Zork posts as serious?   I've been doing it wrong.

2 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Seattle resident here. Our gov Jay Inslee just had a press conference.

I'm going to try and find a recording of it and i'll add if I find it.

Notes so far, but I joined it partway through. Thought this might be of interest and a good change of pace.

- currently not overloaded, but trending to be over capacity and we will need ventilators AND doctors.

-Asking for retired and fresh out of school personnel to join the work force.

- Sourcing ventilators, PPE, etc is troubling. Vendors are asking well above normal prices. Is reaching out to other countries including china. A federal strong hand to drive supply and regulate cost would have a hugely positive impact

- just like everybody else, praised the administration Trump and Pence, for their open communication with the state. Having "good conversations"

- When asked for how those conversations go, he visibly had to pause and just say they are going well and we want to keep that communication going. Sure looks like he wants to call Trump a numpty but can't cause he knows he'll get cut off.

-When asked if he gave recommendations to Trump, he declined to get specific but suggested they are similar to what he's telling the state right now, which has been this is a long way from over and to continue to take this very seriously. It will take time to flatten the curve and get through it. Don't travel, stay in your neighborhood. Stay at home. limit the spread of this both from a person to person standpoint but also geographically to help with supply logistics.

-Clarity on a testing rule. We have federal provided test kits on hand, but they can't be processed by commercial non federal labs. UW is standing by wanting and able to process tests and is able to handle a large amount, but aren't legally able to. This has been brought up to Pence.

- Indicated we will maintain policies until we are positive that relaxing policies will not result in a resurgence of the virus. This will by nature take weeks... Pretty sure he wants to say it will be over a month but is hesitating to outright contradict the president cause he'll get butthurt.

I'm glad to live in an area where people are taking this seriously both locally and at local govt level. 

I caught an interview with Hot Wheels last night on the local.  They asked him directly if he agreed with Trump's assessment we will be back to business starting Easter.  He completely avoided the subject, went back to talking about distancing, hand washing, etc, with the insinuation that if we do these things then maybe by Easter, IF you want to read it that way.   Very good non answer.

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, this. Cruise lines are about as far from an essential industry as it gets. 

Right up there with Ivanka designer clothes.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think the Diamond Princess is a good case study for the theory that the assumed mortality rate may be exaggerated due to silent carriers.  Everyone on the boat was tested.  712 people tested positive, regardless if they had symptoms.  So far, 10 of them have died. That's a 1.4% mortality rate.  And there are still 15 people in serious condition.  Granted, cruise passengers may not represent a representative demographic slice of the population, age wise  I would assume they tend to be older.  But, they were healthy enough to engage in international travel.  These weren't people warehoused in an old folks home waiting for the angel of death.  They were still doing shit.  

I assume someone has compared the fatality rates for the various age groups against less controlled groups of infected. 

You have obviously never been on a cruise.

Yanquis go home!

Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border

Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.

They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52053656

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I wonder if all those 15 cases are getting ventilators if they need them.  Have to think that mortality rate will climb accordingly as the ICUs, ventilators and staff get spread thinner.  

Read somewhere today that all of Atlanta's ICU rooms were full now.  

Edited by pyrohornIII
clarification point

Yanquis go home!
Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border
Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.
They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-52053656

We deserve to have this rubbed in our faces.
  • Like 4

garcetti now says he will instruct ladwp to shut off power to all non-essential businesses that refuse to close.

if you think you're essential, take one step forward.  not so fast, trashy lingerie.  back in line.

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/mayor-garcetti-expected-to-hold-daily-briefing-on-l-a-s-covid-19-response/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The cruise industry is the textbook example of an industry that should NOT be bailed out.   Purely a luxury leisure service with no vital functions at all.   Domiciled outside the United States so they aren’t even paying into the system they want to bail them out.  The business is all about a small number of assets that you can literally just dock in place and they will be there just the same for someone to operate once this all blows over.  

I feel for their employees just like I feel for anyone who goes through hard times, but any politician that sends money to the cruise ship industry should be tarred and feathered.  

I couldn't agree more.

Trump/Pence are heavily in favor of the cruise line executives they have hosted numerous times.

If Congress doesn't find a way, Barr's staff will find a loophole.

Edited by pacman