CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Please tell me this is sarcasm and he didn't actually say that.

I've given up watching this daily shitshow.

That was his verbatim response to the press question about his thoughts on the US surpassing China and Italy today for most coronavirus cases.

There was a brief follow-up question about the Defense Production Act asking him to give an example to back up his claim that he's invoked it

Trump paraphrased: "we'll get back to you on that". 

This is outrageous.  He is siding with boosting profits of members of the US Chamber of Commerce over expediting access life saving materials in a national emergency.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 3

This virus will hit the US harder than any other country in the world for two reasons: (1) we have a complete imbecile in charge of the country and due to his pathological narcissism will never acknowledge the full extent of the problem and never completely test while he’s in charge thus making it far, far worse, and since most people will be affected because of problem number one, (2) terrible, horrible food, nutrition and obesity that has made the US population more vulnerable to this sort of virus than any other country in the world. 

There will not be a close number two. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Why is it that we see that but so many dont?  Is it because when he talks they can understand his mouth breathing knuckle dragging words?

They don't watch him. They don't watch news. They don't read. They watch "reality" TV and voted for their favorite game show host who seems like a really tough executive. 

This is Idiot World Ascendant. When the idiots flood the polls and elect totally incompetent morons, you have to figure that that's the day authoritarianism starts looking pretty good to the non-idiots and/or the power thirsty.

The Greeks believed government was a cycle ( κύκλος that a professor of mine described as anarchy > monarchy > democracy > anarchy. The link is more in depth than that. It sure looks like we might be slipping to a new phase in the cycle. We may have elected anarchy in Donald Trump.

Fauci laid a lot out in that brief appearance.  Mainly focused on active research into treatments, and accurately explained the vaccine timeline justified by some pretty technical safety and efficacy considerations.  He also previewed that we're going to be hearing about results soon, which sounded like within 2 weeks.  I get the feeling he's on top of a lot of important work being done behind the scenes, which is good.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Fauci laid a lot out in that brief appearance.  Mainly focused on active research into treatments, and accurately explained the vaccine timeline justified by some pretty technical safety and efficacy considerations.  He also previewed that we're going to be hearing about results soon, which sounded like within 2 weeks.  I get the feeling he's on top of a lot of important work being done behind the scenes, which is good.

He did a lengthy q&a with, of all people, Steph Curry on instagram today.  I haven’t had time to watch it yet, but thought some might be interested.

45 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Why are the questions always about the economy? Hey assholes, hospitals are overflowing with the dead and dying. Let’s ask about that. 

35 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Deadliest day so far in US and only going up. Back to work, pussies!

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I watched some CNN today and they ran some phone footage submitted by a doctor in New York. These cable network news channels are set up to just run opinion shows rather than actually cover news. The horror of this plague likely remains vague to anyone who hasn't found something to read about it.  I'm guessing the news idiots are drawn to the economic questions because that will better drive the opinion shows. They can beat that to death for hours.

But 4th&five is right. The story is the suffering and death, and they aren't finding a way to report it beyond statistics. Pathetic journalism.

Now we'll have an evening of different doctors and economic experts saying the same things. We will also get a man on the street interview (NPR loves this worthless way to cover a story. Hey! It's easy!). Maddow is the best hope for a new angle. I can't stand TV news unless something is breaking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Denton ISD has extended school closure.

March 26, 2020 – In support of the “Stay at Home” Order issued by Denton County Judge Andy Eads, the following school districts in Denton County announced they have extended districtwide closure through Sunday, April 19.

Students, parents and staff of the following districts are urged by their leaders to remain vigilant in their efforts to stay healthy and stay at home.

• Aubrey ISD
  • Argyle ISD
  • Denton ISD
  • Krum ISD
  • Lake Dallas ISD
  • Lewisville ISD
  • Little Elm ISD
  • Pilot Point ISD
  • Ponder ISD
  • Sanger ISD

Schools and offices in these districts are scheduled to reopen on Monday, April 20. Administrative teams in each district will continue to evaluate the recommendations of the Denton County Public Health (DCPH) department as well as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to determine whether a longer closure beyond April 19 will be necessary.

Good to know some actual info.

People saying China’s numbers are shit seem to be missing that our numbers are also shit because we still have a testing shortage and a week lag time on confirming cases.  China also appears to be successfully running a true containment strategy which is easier for them b/c their government has a tighter grip on the population.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Covid in SEC country should signal to Trump it's time to get serious.

he won't change his 'it's not that bad' tone until it's too late and many many people will already be on a path to death.

It's going to take an entire region of local govt. governors, mayors, etc, reacting like that one Kentucky mayor...

Listen up dipshits and sensible people. I might not have the best bedside manor. I might not put you at ease like the Governor does, but I don’t care. You need to realize that this is a serious ordeal. In fact, it’s a big f**cking deal. Stay at home.

Weird how things have gone in my lifetime.  I remember "malaise" and the hostage crisis and times when America couldn't get its act together.  Things seemed to be rebounding until 9/11, when we were caught unaware.  Then "Mission Accomplished" and Tora Bora.

Then Obama's military offed Bin Laden and he built an economic machine that lasted through 3 years of Trump doing his best to fuck it up.  And now here we are.  Some scientists and planners who cost essentially nothing got fired and departments disbanded for no real reason.  We're back to being incompetent.  

• Like 2

just a little bit ironic, don't ya think?

One of the first deaths in Virginia from coronavirus was a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist” who fell ill while on a trip to New Orleans with his wife. As the Friendly Atheist’s Hemant Mehta points out, Landon Spradlin had previously shared opinions that the pandemic was the result of “mass hysteria” from the media.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/christian-pastor-who-thought-covid-19-is-just-mass-hysteria-is-among-the-first-in-virginia-to-die-from-virus/

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2020 at 1:28 PM, threesheets said:

Not sure if Collin County (where I live, yippee) has been mentioned yet, but add them to list of Trump cucks that don't give a fuck.  County Judge Chris Hill declared that all businesses/workers are "essential," and said we would continue on with the "ten people or less" rule. 

When a reporter pressed him about why he would allow retail businesses like boutiques/salons to continue to operate, he said something like ""if you're out shopping at a boutique for the latest spring styles, I would suggest you don't do that."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2020/03/24/watch-live-fort-worth-mayor-betsy-price-to-provide-coronavirus-update/

Clay Jenkins just said in his press conference that he had a good call today with ten of the surrounding county judges- everyone was on the call except Collin County Judge Cuck Chris Hill.

Edited by threesheets

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Weird how things have gone in my lifetime.  I remember "malaise" and the hostage crisis and times when America couldn't get its act together.  Things seemed to be rebounding until 9/11, when we were caught unaware.  Then "Mission Accomplished" and Tora Bora.

Then Obama's military offed Bin Laden and he built an economic machine that lasted through 3 years of Trump doing his best to fuck it up.  And now here we are.  Some scientists and planners who cost essentially nothing got fired and departments disbanded for no real reason.  We're back to being incompetent.  

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

8 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Clay Jenkins just said in his press conference that he had a good call today with ten of the surrounding county judges- everyone was on the call except Collin County Judge Cuck Chris Hill.

1) Chris Hill is doing everything in his power to get the Republicans turned out in Collin County.  There is a brand of Republican that can still win in Collin County.  But full-Trump aint it.  That's a recipe for disaster in the suburbs in November.

2) Clay Jenkins is setting himself up to be a pretty good challenger to Abbott in 2022.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, threesheets said:

That guy has been behind on every decision since this all started. POS

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, softlynow said:

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

Just a few triumphs of the Free Market that made America great in the first place:

- The public school system

- Land grant research universities

- The space program

- Interstate highways

- The atomic bomb

- The Louisiana Purchase

- D-Day

- The Second Amendment

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I know they are punting it. I don't expect to see it go back to normal any time soon. All the regular senior year stuff is not going to happen. Did I shell out dollars for a prom dress and shoes? 

Of course I did. 

Same here. Just was told none of it will happen this year. And that is the right take. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

China is spraying chlorox over streets and buildings.  We’re not even making masks and ventilators.   I believe the Chinese numbers are probably fudged by a lot, but I also believe the Chinese government is absolutely doing more to contain this than our government.  

We’re most likely below China now in terms of valuing human life.   That’s a low I didn’t think I’d see.

I think it's more likely that China, at least the government, cares more about saving face than it does human life. Certainly their response was more effective. And certainly the American government isn't showing a very high value for lives either - just the almighty dollar.

for anyone shitting on the press (and rightfully so), the only people in the room you can really count on these days are the cnn correspondents.  acosta, manu, kaitlan collins.  they typically get their questions in, and follow-up, and occasionally hammer him.  on days like today, they either weren't in there, or weren't called on.  also i've noticed lately that trump is asking people what network they're from.  so either they're new, or he's paranoid, or both.  likely both.

"oh, oan, i better be nice to you."  give me a fucking break.

31 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I know they are punting it. I don't expect to see it go back to normal any time soon. All the regular senior year stuff is not going to happen. Did I shell out dollars for a prom dress and shoes? 

Of course I did. 

Yep, you might as well dance with her for her prom.