CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, I'm sure no company will try to break the rules and, if they do, Andrew Wheeler's EPA will hold them to account. 

If they were going to try to break this rule, they were going to try to break the other rules anyway.  Note that in many jurisdictions, the EPA has delegated jurisdiction to state authorities to enforce such matters.  Texas is one of them, and I actually helped prepare the submission to the governor to suspend this obligation.  I can assure you that it was not developed by a bunch of evildoers twirling their mustaches -- it was developed by a broad coalition of operators who were already figuring out how to maintain operations (crucial for both utility purposes and economic activity) while shedding as many non-essential tasks as possible.  It doesn't allow you to purposefully dump shit into the water -- at all.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hope Brisket is right in his post above because this really sounds like a typical ratfuck move by this wicked administration and their fuck-average-Americans agenda.

Again, the fact that this sort of measure was proposed and developed independently in multiple jurisdictions, with ZERO input from the EPA or the Trump admin, should tell you that it was based on actual operational concerns.  And yes, some operators will surely abuse it.  Just like there are bad actors in every field who would abuse any relaxation of standards.  

But we already have cops not pulling people over for minor traffic infractions because they have bigger fish to fry, and need to remain at safe distances.  This isn't much different.  Operate your plant, keep things going.  If you need to put the weekly TPS report aside because you're short-staffed, that's okay for now.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, Mapache said:

SIAP...

Not far from reality 

He has been on Tiktok for a while, does a couple of back and forth impressions of trump and obama.  Pretty good.

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Fuck'em. Do like the Italians and start 3D printing them. I'd like to see someone try to stop it.

That would work if you could get some silicone valley group to develop a controller component for it, making it fairly easy to program.   My son has been looking around for projects for his printer.  There's a valve that is being printed in Italy that transforms a scuba mask to a ventilator mask.    Seriously, you can make these at home with fairly common parts.  

https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Pandemic-Ventilator/

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hope Brisket is right in his post above because this really sounds like a typical ratfuck move by this wicked administration and their fuck-average-Americans agenda.

It's been Republican policy to roll back environmental regulations for years and Trump has taken it to the extreme. His EPA has been run by fossil fuel industry lobbyists and everything they've done has been to revoke environmental protections in favor of the bottom lines of the industries they're supposed to be regulating. Those industries own the EPA. I would bet that it will be pretty easy to claim a COVID-19 related cause and Wheeler won't encourage anyone to examine the cases too closely. The economy is what matters, not human health. 

• Like 1

Rush Limbaugh opener Is the usual pure gold - we didn’t elect Trump to listen to ‘health experts’ !!! How do we know they’re even ‘experts’ ????

Deep state !!!!!!!!!!!!!

take it for what’s it worth - sounds like he’s in a bad spot. Sounds like he’s 100% on experimental / non approved cancer drugs. Looking for other options / taking drugs to now reverse their side effects. Quality of life v treatment 

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If they were going to try to break this rule, they were going to try to break the other rules anyway.  Note that in many jurisdictions, the EPA has delegated jurisdiction to state authorities to enforce such matters.  Texas is one of them, and I actually helped prepare the submission to the governor to suspend this obligation.  I can assure you that it was not developed by a bunch of evildoers twirling their mustaches -- it was developed by a broad coalition of operators who were already figuring out how to maintain operations (crucial for both utility purposes and economic activity) while shedding as many non-essential tasks as possible.  It doesn't allow you to purposefully dump shit into the water -- at all.

Again, the fact that this sort of measure was proposed and developed independently in multiple jurisdictions, with ZERO input from the EPA or the Trump admin, should tell you that it was based on actual operational concerns.  And yes, some operators will surely abuse it.  Just like there are bad actors in every field who would abuse any relaxation of standards.  

But we already have cops not pulling people over for minor traffic infractions because they have bigger fish to fry, and need to remain at safe distances.  This isn't much different.  Operate your plant, keep things going.  If you need to put the weekly TPS report aside because you're short-staffed, that's okay for now.

If the States act responsibly then that's great. I expect no such thing from Trump's EPA. 

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rush Limbaugh opener Is the usual pure gold - we didn’t elect Trump to listen to ‘health experts’ !!! How do we know they’re even ‘experts’ ????

Deep state !!!!!!!!!!!!!

take it for what’s it worth - sounds like he’s in a bad spot. Sounds like he’s 100% on experimental / non approved cancer drugs. Looking for other options / taking drugs to now reverse their side effects. Quality of life v treatment 

Death Pool: Rush dies by Covid19.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Deep state !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a touch ironic given Rush didn't listen to "health experts" who told him to stop smoking years ago and that the cigars he thought were fine for his health actually weren't. 

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually.....as someone connected to this  field, that's really not what's happening -- there is no "pollute away, we don't care!" order.  Rather, it is a limited relaxation of ongoing reporting and sampling obligations, and even then, it has to be for a documented COVID-19-related reason.  What this means is that the folks working at your local water and sewer plants can and should focus on keeping the infrastructure running instead of filling out lengthy reports to the EPA.  Priority is functionality, not reporting.  And again, if your plant has all the personnel in place and isn't impacted by COVID-19, then the obligaion remains.  It all depends on whether or not you are impacted by reduced staffing.

And FYI, in places where distancing etc. orders are in place, plants ARE experiencing reduced staffing.  The EPA is far from perfect, but this is something that's being done uniformly, nationwide now (many states have their own regulatory authorities, and the ones I know of are doing the same).

If you decide to use this opportunity to dump barrels of toxic waste into the river, you're still gonna get popped.

When I say the media has done even the Trump haters a disservice by over- and mis-reporting things.  This would seem to be a classic example.

Trump is such a sociopath with such a casual relationship to the truth, that any media misstep is going to be used against them with the base.   And when shit gets real, as it has on several occasions, their credibility becomes questionable.

Which is not to absolve Trump of anything.  But you gotta choose your battles carefully with a guy like him.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Deep state !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a shame....

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I would bet that it will be pretty easy to claim a COVID-19 related cause and Wheeler won't encourage anyone to examine the cases too closely.

And the same would be true in the event of any other violation.  If the EPA doesn't want to investigate, it won't.  Your problem is with the EPA's prosecutorial decisions to let people skate -- that doesn't change with any change in rules or regs.  This temporary rule relaxation is a good thing.  Understand that public water utilities and sewer utilities make up a huge portion of the regulated entities in the US.  They aren't looking to dump toxic waste in your creek.  They are looking to keep operating with a reduced staff so that you have water and your toilet flushes.

22 hours ago, cam4mav said:

- Indicated we will maintain policies until we are positive that relaxing policies will not result in a resurgence of the virus. This will by nature take weeks... Pretty sure he wants to say it will be over a month but is hesitating to outright contradict the president cause he'll get butthurt.

My company's home office is in Seattle, and so I've been seeing how it affects my company for a couple of months now.  As of this moment, my company have told home office employees, actually all in office employees at locations around the world will not be allowed in the office until at least April 27.  I don't think anyone really believes we'll be back to normal by then, but they are trying to set expectations that this is a long term thing while giving themselves room to maneuver should the situation change.

OK, active campaigns to persuade vendors not to send product to specific states has to be a fucking crime at some level, and the vendors are accessories if they comply.  That's my expert legal opinion.

If this is true, I don't even know what to say.  I'm so furious I could spit blood.  God damn, this man needs to be in prison, stat.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You can show all of this to Trumpkins, and they can even believe it, but they won’t care.   I’m convinced he’s not even going to lose any material percentage of support when the real horror starts.  They have already prepared themselves to blame someone else and ignore (or agree with) his depraved indifference.  They might even like it if they think he’s choosing to let Democrats die.

His base is more at risk than the Democratic base. He'll probably lose more voters, literally, between now and November. 

55 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

He has been on Tiktok for a while, does a couple of back and forth impressions of trump and obama.  Pretty good.

That would work if you could get some silicone valley group to develop a controller component for it, making it fairly easy to program.   My son has been looking around for projects for his printer.  There's a valve that is being printed in Italy that transforms a scuba mask to a ventilator mask.    Seriously, you can make these at home with fairly common parts.  

https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Pandemic-Ventilator/

In the absence of leadership we're going to have to go it alone. 

He's said as much. We're not getting the DPA. We ain't gonna get a damn thing from him, unless we're willing to suck him off.

Fuck that. We can do this.  if they aren't to help with getting ventilators we're going to make our own. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

There were arguments that the environment was benefiting form the social distancing.  Can't let the environment have a good time while we all have to suffer stuck in our houses with our families.  

I'm fairly convinced this whole thing is just Gaia having enough of our shit.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You can show all of this to Trumpkins, and they can even believe it, but they won’t care.   I’m convinced he’s not even going to lose any material percentage of support when the real horror starts.  They have already prepared themselves to blame someone else and ignore (or agree with) his depraved indifference.  They might even like it if they think he’s choosing to let Democrats die.

Like Trump, his base are all narcissists who don't care if humanity survives beyond their own lifetimes. In fact, many of them would be delighted to know that it won't.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Or they don't want to know. That's what makes the siloing of our news media, and the two threads, so infuriating. If they don't know, then they can claim all sorts of other excuses including bureaucratic bumbling, the size of our country, dismissing the nature of the virus, etc. Informing them reminds them they fucked up in supporting this piece of trash.

They.Just.Don't.Want.To.Hear.About.It.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Cool, cool. 

If true, and that is something I am going to wait for because that's a big accusation, that's absolutely reprehensible and he should be 25th-ed immediately. Of course, I would not at all be surprised if it is and likely nothing will happen. Every day he does something that would be a n earth-shattering scandal in any previous administration, Republican or Democratic, and it doesn't matter. The "shoot a man on Fifth Avenue" bit was the most insightful thing Trump's ever said.

Also, Trump withholding federal aid from Michigan will go over real well in November. Whitmer isn't even on the ballot. That's the political calculation of a fucking idiot.

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In a sick way, I hope this is verifiably true.

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Its not sick to hope that.  The alternative is worse.  His bullshit needs to finally be exposed to the light of day. 

It really doesn't matter. His supporters will either ignore it, or actively support it. "tHAt BITcH NEEDs TO shoW Some resPect!!!!"

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Or they don't want to know. That's what makes the siloing of our news media, and the two threads, so infuriating. If they don't know, then they can claim all sorts of other excuses including bureaucratic bumbling, the size of our country, dismissing the nature of the virus, etc. Informing them reminds them they fucked up in supporting this piece of trash.

They.Just.Don't.Want.To.Hear.About.It.

Willful ignorance is a hallmark of the modern Republican voter. They don't know, they don't want to know. Truth is whatever feels true, facts and evidence be damned. If they don't like the message then they attack the messenger and declare it "FAKE NEWS!!" Anti-intellectualism is their brand. 

They are the party of stupid. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

That thought crossed my mind too. The Earth will balance itself and we are the cause of the imbalance. 

That's always been my outlook when it comes to climate change/environmentalism. I know the world isn't going to end. It's been through  much worse. We're the ones in trouble. It's self-preservation. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The cancer will get him if anything's fair.

Pos rep for a Charlie Robison reference.

• Like 2