CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

So, now GM has to prioritize federal contracts, where Dotard will keep them stockpiled in surplus because “we don’t really need 30,000 ventilators” instead of delivering them directly to the states and hospitals ordering them now?

I mean, normally it would be better for the feds to streamline and prioritize allocations to avoid price wars and hoarding, but in this case the feds are the hoarders and may even actively sabotage getting these out.    I don’t even know if the DPA is a good thing for us at this point.  Working around Dotard might honestly be better.

it's such a clusterfuck, and i don't know really who to believe or who has the knowledge to properly explain it.  but one would think using the dpa and having everything flow through one single source - the federal govt - would be the ideal way to handle this.

but as trump said, they're not a shipping clerk.  so everyone is pretty much on their own.  governors are submitting numbers, some get filled, some don't, and others get trashed in interviews on fox news while the governors get called names and feel like they need to kiss the ring to save their citizens.  

then we're told that the dpa won't get invoked because that discourages the free market, so now we have cities bidding against counties  bidding against states bidding against...wait for it...the federal govt and their agencies, like cdc and fema.  it's almost like the federal govt didn't want to be involved unless they could artificially drive up prices and then take credit for all the good they're doing.

you literally couldn't have drawn up the process any worse than the way it's playing out now in real time, with actual human lives hanging in the balance.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

So, now GM has to prioritize federal contracts, where Dotard will keep them stockpiled in surplus because “we don’t really need 30,000 ventilators” instead of delivering them directly to the states and hospitals ordering them now?

I mean, normally it would be better for the feds to streamline and prioritize allocations to avoid price wars and hoarding, but in this case the feds are the hoarders and may even actively sabotage getting these out.    I don’t even know if the DPA is a good thing for us at this point.  Working around Dotard might honestly be better.

This is a fair point. You can't overcome his pettiness and dumbfuckery without amending the DPA to require the appointment of a competent person by name or trying to make the "pandemic czar" a House-confirmed position (is that even feasible?).  I mean, who in Trump's admin would you trust with this authority?  It would have to be Fauci, right?  Just another reason why we're fully fucked.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

America is having to do a GoFundMe for open source ventilators during a pandemic because the Federal government refuses to take action?

spacer.png

Anyone still on the Dotard Disaster Express deserves what they get for voting for him again in November. There is no converting any of them or hoping they suddenly discover what empathy is. If a pandemic won't do it they are beyond the reach or scope of help any person can offer them and they are absolutely complicit with what is happening. 

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I don't even have to read The Atlantic article to know it is bullshit.  Here is the heading from the article.

How the Pandemic Will End  (oh really great swami, you know exactly how this is going to end?  You the journalist, not a medical expert, not a doctor, not even a scientist, a journalist.  You know how this is going to end.  You don't know shit.  You are guessing and it isn't even going to be an educated guess.  You are pulling shit out of your ass and smelling your fingers.)

Next part of heading.

The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the industrialized world.  This is how it is going to play out.

Oh really, you know exactly how this is going to play out?  Then why are you working at The Atlantic and not at the CDC or WHO?  Because you don't know how it is going to play out.  Nobody knows how it is going to play out.  Not the CDC, the WHO, the Surgeon General, or Mentor the Mystic.  ANYONE that claims they know how this is going to play out is full of shit because nothing like this has ever happened in modern times.   The last time something of this scale was going on television hadn't been invented, computers hadn't been invented probably about 10,000 advances in medicine hadn't been discovered.   And if you actually did know how it was going to play out you wouldn't have used the word may in the very sentence preceding your declaration.  You would have used the word will.  This is fear mongering, plain and simple.  This guy doesn't have any more idea of how this is going to play out than any of us do.

How the Pandemic Will End

The U.S. may end up with the 

OK this has to be Rocko.  There can't be two people this stupid on one message board.

I'm legitimately curious, was there a quorum in the House chamber, or did they find some other means? With overwhelming support, it should have passed, and congressmen should not have been required to fly back for the vote, but I'm curious if they had enough people still in Washington or if there was a rule for an emergency like this when the House is not in session.

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Sit down and shut up Massie

you dickless shithead ...

2 hours ago, Gap03 said:

It's astonishing to me that three of the absolute biggest cunts in Congress all came from Kentucky. ...

You peeps are jumping on Trump's "hate Massie" train?  Interesting.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I'm legitimately curious, was there a quorum in the House chamber, or did they find some other means? With overwhelming support, it should have passed, and congressmen should not have been required to fly back for the vote, but I'm curious if they had enough people still in Washington or if there was a rule for an emergency like this when the House is not in session.

The guy holding the gavel said they had a quorum.  That's good enough for me.  

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

Once again, you miss the point.  The point is not that we're going to be spending, hell, just mailing out a lot of money.  It will keep the economy hobbling along.  That's good.  The point is the keep the economy from collapsing.

What difference does it really make?  If you want accountability start with the president.  That will keep you busy.

One last thing:

Spoiler

Brace yourself.  

Spoiler

This won't be easy for you.

Spoiler

ft-knox.jpg

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

lol what difference does it make that we've given cover for these creeps to lie about their vote on a monumentally important piece of legislation?

Liars will lie.  Everyone knows what they have in their elected officials, or should by now.  The truth won't matter to anyone who doesn't want to hear it. 

But by all means get everyone back to DC for a vote.

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

Liars will lie.  Everyone knows what they have in their elected officials, or should by now.  The truth won't matter to anyone who doesn't want to hear it. 

But by all means get everyone back to DC for a vote.

There is a difference between lying about a voice vote where there is plausible deniability, and lying about a recorded vote that is open for the world to see.  How would people even know what they have in their elected officials if what those officials do isn't made of record?  You may think Massie is a fucking moron but that doesn't make him incorrect on this particular issue.  

Further, Pelosi could have allowed remote voting to get everyone on the record without requiring everyone to return to DC.  I hope that you understand that's a distraction and not the real reason driving their decision to use a voice vote - they don't want to be held accountable.  

It passed the senate 96-0. Just assume your congressman approved unless they say otherwise. If you truly care, ask them and if they ignore you or give a wishy washy answer, assume they approve.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Bitch, please.  I hated Massie since he pulled this shit:

MFer graduated from MIT with an engineering degree, but that doesn't stop him from playing an imbecile with alarming regularity.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

What an astounding thing to "worry" about, Fozzz.  Wow.  You have an extraordinary ability to focus on exactly the wrong thing, no matter what the situation.

Why is giving Mnuchin nearly a $5 Trillion slush fund without any oversight not something we should worry about?  Both parties are using the crisis as a pretext for restructuring the way our country functions.  This is a cash grab of unprecedented proportions by the rich.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/senate-democrats-donald-trump-coronavirus-bill_n_5e7b77a6c5b62a1870d62d83

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There is a difference between lying about a voice vote where there is plausible deniability, and lying about a recorded vote that is open for the world to see.  How would people even know what they have in their elected officials if what those officials do isn't made of record?  You may think Massie is a fucking moron but that doesn't make him incorrect on this particular issue.  

Further, Pelosi could have allowed remote voting to get everyone on the record without requiring everyone to return to DC.  I hope that you understand that's a distraction and not the real reason driving their decision to use a voice vote - they don't want to be held accountable.  

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What an astounding thing to "worry" about, Fozzz.  Wow.  You have an extraordinary ability to focus on exactly the wrong thing, no matter what the situation.

Fozzz, can you tell me how many times someone you know has looked up a recorded vote in the Congressional Record?  I consider myself fairly astute but I've never done it.

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why is giving Mnuchin nearly a $5 Trillion slush fund without any oversight not something we should worry about?  Both parties are using the crisis as a pretext for restructuring the way our country functions.  This is a cash grab of unprecedented proportions by the rich.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/senate-democrats-donald-trump-coronavirus-bill_n_5e7b77a6c5b62a1870d62d83

Yeah, it is. This is America, after all.

What do you propose we do about it?

General strike? Stop paying bills? Stop consuming? Riots? Protests? I'd love to hear how we confront the unfortunate reality of an entire nation state in the thrall of capitalism and the condensed power of private property.

From "that woman governor" in Michigan:

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer suggested Friday that a growing rift with the White House is affecting shipments of medical supplies to Michigan amid exponential growth in confirmed coronavirus cases.

"When the federal government told us that we needed to go it ourselves, we started procuring every item we could get our hands on," Whitmer said Friday on WWJ 950AM. "What I've gotten back is that vendors with whom we had contracts are now being told not to send stuff here to Michigan."

Whitmer didn't say who has told vendors to stop sending medical supplies to the state, but strongly implied the order came from President Donald Trump's administration.

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

You have to really wonder what's going through this guy's head.  Pretty sure he thinks of himself as "principled."   

Of course he does. He doesn't have many supporters. But, there are a few

51 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Dependably in favor of hammering the Ds. Nobody gives a shit. 

47 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Massie is entirely correct here.  It's shameful this was done with a voice vote.  

Except this guy. He likes Massie.

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because it's all they've got. 

I'm supposed to be upset with Pelosi about it? Really? 

After all the shit that's been pulled in the Senate and you want me to be upset about one lone  asshole?

You're out of your goddamn mind. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

Of course he does. He doesn't have many supporters. But, there are a few

Dependably in favor of hammering the Ds. Nobody gives a shit. 

Except this guy. 

Because it's all they've got. 

I'm supposed to be upset with Pelosi about it? Really? 

After all the shit that's been pulled in the Senate and you want me to be upset about one lone  asshole?

You're out of your goddamn mind. 

Pelosi could have had the House pass a clean support bill for workers and small businesses (like the proposal put forth by the House FSC) without the $4.5 trillion slush fund and then held the Senate's feet to the fire to pass it.  Then the optics would have been McConnell holding up needed support because he wants to shovel hoards of money to the wealthiest people in this country.  She didn't do that because she's complicit.  

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If you gave every American (even the Bloomberg) $12,000 right now, it would be a bargain compared to some of the corporate theft going on.

330 million times 12000 is a lot of money.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

If you gave every American (even the Bloomberg) $12,000 right now, it would be a bargain compared to some of the corporate theft going on.

This is absolutely true.

It is hardly surprising that the state protects capital at the expense of labor. It always has.

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Pelosi could have had the House pass a clean support bill for workers and small businesses (like the proposal put forth by the House FSC) without the $4.5 trillion slush fund and then held the Senate's feet to the fire to pass it.  Then the optics would have been McConnell holding up needed support because he wants to shovel hoards of money to the wealthiest people in this country.  She didn't do that because she's complicit.  

Or she didn’t think it was appropriate to hold up funding while Americans are dying and being fired.

• Like 1