CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

updated the link

Link is still "unavailable" but here's what I assume you're posting:

WHY THE FUCK IS TRUMP OFFERING TO HELP NORTH KOREA WITH CORONAVIRUS WHEN HE HASNT EVEN HELPED THE US?!!!!

I’m posting this for posterity so I don’t ever forget the dates.

On Thursday March 12 at the Y I overhead a doctor telling another guy in the locker room that this whole thing was overblown and not a big deal. This had been a constant old white man refrain I’d heard for 2 weeks. 

On Sunday March 15 at a bar I overheard another doctor say the same thing. This was while we all were practicing preliminary social distancing as there were about 5 of us there and the true threat was revealing itself. 

Trumps lies about this had a huge impact. And continue to do so. Don’t ever let them try to gloss over that. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 7

So I went out to grab a few things today and saw a lot of people wearing latex gloves.  I don't fully understand this.     I have read several articles about why the asians wear the masks, and the overwhelming reason seems to be that if they could be infected, then the mask would catch the particulate in their cough or sneeze, and prevent its making its way airborne or onto a surface.  The thought they would wear them to protect others instead of themselves is foreign to us in the western culture.  It also had the side benefit of reminding the wearer not to touch their face, but that was always mentioned as an added benefit and the protection of the wearer was never the real intent, since you could just as easy get this in your system through the eyes.

More our style are these gloves.  Who do they protect?  Only the wearer.  Mainly olds.  Smgdh.  

One more thing, has anyone read anywhere about this bug morphing into something more contagious, or deadly?  When we hit round two, I'm betting it will be even nastier.

Edited by pyrohornIII
its it's its
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

One more thing, has anyone read anywhere about this bug morphing into something more contagious, or deadly?  When we hit round two, I'm betting it will be even nastier.

In general, the virus doesn't have much incentive to mutate into something more deadly. It wants to increase avenues for reproduction, not kill them off. To become more contagious, it'd almost have to become more mild, because in order to spread it needs people up and interacting.

Of course, I'll defer to medical pros in terms of research on this specific bug.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:52 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Come on.  We won't have a mass grave.  This is America.  We will spend far more per person to bury people than we will to save them.  One day, we'll even build a 500 million dollar monument next to the perfectly manicured Covid19 graveyard that already had marble religion appropriate grave markers for every one of the dead.  Nothing says you care more about people, and nothing is more American, than building a massive monument to people after they died for your wrong choices.

As long as they put Trump's grave nearby the monument so we can all pee on it. 

05fa9092fac6c5936a6ee11eb8978fcb.jpg

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

That was a good ad.  

It's a good ad, but it's not great until a presidential cease and desist order has been levied against it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

So I went out to grab a few things today and saw a lot of people wearing latex gloves.  I don't fully understand this.     I have read several articles about why the asians wear the masks, and the overwhelming reason seems to be that if they could be infected, then the mask would catch the particulate in their cough or sneeze, and prevent its making its way airborne or onto a surface.  The thought they would wear them to protect others instead of themselves is foreign to us in the western culture.  It also had the side benefit of reminding the wearer not to touch their face, but that was always mentioned as an added benefit and the protection of the wearer was never the real intent, since you could just as easy get this in your system through the eyes.

More our style are these gloves.  Who do they protect?  Only the wearer.  Mainly olds.  Smgdh.  

They protect the wearer from coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. The last time I caught a cold I'm pretty sure that's how I caught it because I wasn't in direct contact with anyone who had a cold. I probably touched a contaminated door handle or something and then touched my face before I washed my hands. I'm carrying a mini bottle of hand sanitizer with me now and using it more frequently than might be necessary. (When I go out, which I haven't done since Monday.) Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

In general, the virus doesn't have much incentive to mutate into something more deadly. It wants to increase avenues for reproduction, not kill them off. To become more contagious, it'd almost have to become more mild, because in order to spread it needs people up and interacting.

Of course, I'll defer to medical pros in terms of research on this specific bug.

Genetic mutation isn't a choice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Genetic mutation isn't a choice. 

Yeah, people tend to use sloppy language to describe evolutionary processes.  The virus doesn’t want shit.  It’s incapable of desire.  

But viruses that don’t kill their hosts tend to propagate further.  Those that kill their hosts tend to peter our.  So mutations that result in lower fatalities are more likely to succeed and viruses having those mutations will outnumber those with genes that tend to kill their hosts.  What the virus wants has nothing to do with it.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They protect the wearer from coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. The last time I caught a cold I'm pretty sure that's how I caught it because I wasn't in direct contact with anyone who had a cold. I probably touched a contaminated door handle or something and then touched my face before I washed my hands. I'm carrying a mini bottle of hand sanitizer with me now and using it more frequently than might be necessary. (When I go out, which I haven't done since Monday.) Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 

This is what we are doing.  We have bottles in every car and immediately after opening the door, we use sanitizer before touching anything else.   When we get out, We each carry a disinfecting wipe, to wipe down cart handles, keypads, etc.  

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is what we are doing.  We have bottles in every car and immediately after opening the door, we use sanitizer before touching anything else.   When we get out, We each carry a disinfecting wipe, to wipe down cart handles, keypads, etc.  

So licking your fingers clean is not recommended?

8 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yep. Before and after everything. 

State broadcast going on now:  Gov. DeSantis' latest update on coronavirus pandemic.  Florida Governor Ron DeSantis updated the public about the government's efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus. BY THE FLORIDA CHANNEL.

First day: 400 test samples collects tonight!

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241545561.html

The Gov thinks more people should be tested.

Edited by Bullneck

30 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I bought several big ass packages of paper napkins that I carry in the car and every time I have to touch a public surface I use a napkin to do it. Then fold up and toss the napkin. Then sanitize. 

Edited by Junior Miller

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Just to entertain the psychotic level of punishing states would require us to ponder how some states would otherwise be rewarded.  In that macabre meritocracy, Florida would get rewarded for not closing down spring break and then having the attendants later pack up and disperse in sprawling flocks back across a third of the country.  A round of applause for Florida.  Well done, Florida.    

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The fact that it's Buffalo and those are Bills fans makes it extra funny.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I bought several big ass packages of paper napkins that I carry in the car and every time I have to touch a public surface I use a napkin to do it. Then fold up and toss the napkin. Then sanitize. 

I start jerking off the second I get out my car.

People run, I jizz on something, all winners!

• Like 1

I think I'd be OK with only giving limited support to states with leaders who intentionally defied common sense and best practices regarding limiting viral spread.

Maybe only medical support, none for businesses? And even then, contingent on a change in leadership at the state level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

I think I'd be OK with only giving limited support to states with leaders who intentionally defied common sense and best practices regarding limiting viral spread.

Maybe only medical support, none for businesses? And even then, contingent on a change in leadership at the state level.

I really hope you're not suggesting Trump be the determiner of some "common sense" policy where the end result is more deaths in certain states then a regime change, because one that's ridiculous, and two there is no one lesser qualified on the planet than he is to determine common sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

I really hope you're not suggesting Trump be the determiner of some "common sense" policy where the end result is more deaths in certain states then a regime change, because one that's ridiculous, and two there is no one lesser qualified on the planet than he is to determine common sense.

Great point... I was thinking of this in the abstract, or maybe after leadership change at the national level. 

Because it's not like there's much in the way of common sense and best practices there either. 

Edited by NWBuck

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

So with the COVID-19 cases and deaths exploding in the US, how long before Trump blocks publication of the numbers?

That's not the play. The play is to beat the drum over and over about how broken the system was and that they're fixing it. Like it's never been fixed before. When they're done it will be so great you won't believe it. 

It works because it's partially true (Healthcare here sucks). But of course that talking point has nothing to do with how the administration totally fumbled their opportunity to get in front of this, thanks to our anti-science dipshit of a president. 

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

Great point... I was thinking of this in the abstract, or maybe after leadership change at the national level. 

Because it's not like there's much in the way of common sense and best practices there either. 

If we had actual leadership at the national level, we wouldn't have to be thinking in the abstract to solve things in individual states.  What we should have is a clear and concise message supported by facts and science coming from the president and his administration.

Instead what we have is a petulant child who goes on babbling rants spewing falsehoods and conjecture.  And all the while insulting the state leaders he should be working the closest with.

I mean what an opportunity he had to genuinely help people and bring this country closer together.  He had the opportunity to make the over half of this country that doesn't like him actually like him.

But instead he is just as divisive and insulting as always.  He is incapable of any other way.  It's not in him.   He is a good bullshitter, which his base loves, and a terribly awful leader.  

Keep thinking in the abstract and being solution oriented because it's got to come from somewhere.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, TornACL said:

That's not the play. The play is to beat the drum over and over about how broken the system was and that they're fixing it. Like it's never been fixed before. When they're done it will be so great you won't believe it. 

It works because it's partially true (Healthcare here sucks). But of course that talking point has nothing to do with how the administration totally fumbled their opportunity to get in front of this, thanks to our anti-science dipshit of a president. 

Good point, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive options.  They've already been beating the "broken system" drum.  Too bad the guy who's been in charge for the past 3+ years hasn't had a chance to work on it...those rounds of golf aren't gonna play themselves.

Let's not forget Trump is all about ratings/numbers.  He can claim that the numbers are creating too much panic, and they can better manage the problem without the unnecessary public "fear mongering".

• Like 1

As much as we have all watched Trump be a jackass, it is still hard fully digest that he just had a press conference where he ordered the VP not to return calls to state leaders who are desperately reaching out for help.

Help that could directly save lives of Americans and help that they shouldn't have to publicly ask for.  

I mean what the living fuck man, what the fuck!?!!!?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

So with the COVID-19 cases and deaths exploding in the US, how long before Trump blocks publication of the numbers?

This is a man who a few weeks ago didn't want to count the numbers of positive tests aboard a ship, because he didn't want the total to go up.  So yeah, he sure as shit is going to try this.  

13 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

...those rounds of golf ....

Regardless of whether the media pundits discuss Trump or any other former president playing golf at this point is irrelevant. When Trump isn't playing golf, what exactly is he doing in the White House besides tweeting and watching Fox? Waiting in the 'green room' for a television appearance. That's pretty much it. Hire Elect a television 'bad' actor and you get a soap opera writ large.

The media isn't helping, either. The true investigative reporters have been shoved aside in favor of screenwriters. The news coming from the American people who are attempting to put names and faces to the sick and dying. The journalists attempting to gather facts are barred from entry, denied press passes, and derided for 'nasty' questions.

• Like 1

As much as we have all watched Trump be a jackass, it is still hard fully digest that he just had a press conference where he ordered the VP not to return calls to state leaders who are desperately reaching out for help.
Help that could directly save lives of Americans and help that they shouldn't have to publicly ask for.  
I mean what the living fuck man, what the fuck!?!!!?

It is unbelievable how 40% of our population just watches his behavior and shrugs their shoulders.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It is unbelievable how 40% of our population just watches his behavior and shrugs their shoulders.

Not only that, but they do not appear to notice the creep of that policy towards fascism coming from behind the scenes. The Millers, the Pompeos, et al slowly but surely turning the screws. The dirty browns, the nasty females, the old and the weak. Trump may put voice to the hate, but look at what the policy makers are doing right now. Bannon must be so happy that his reich is coming to fruition. Even if the administration is changed in 2020, the tatters of the economy will bring those haters poised to rise again in 2024 or '28 if this is not stopped in its tracks. Fox/OANN aren't going to go away without some serious leverage against them spewing propaganda. Charlie Kirk will preach to the young the way Lou Dobbs did to the olds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Not only that, but they do not appear to notice the creep of that policy towards fascism coming from behind the scenes. The Millers, the Pompeos, et al slowly but surely turning the screws. The dirty browns, the nasty females, the old and the weak. Trump may put voice to the hate, but look at what the policy makers are doing right now. Bannon must be so happy that his reich is coming to fruition. Even if the administration is changed in 2020, the tatters of the economy will bring those haters poised to rise again in 2024 or '28 if this is not stopped in its tracks. Fox/OANN aren't going to go away without some serious leverage against them spewing propaganda. Charlie Kirk will preach to the young the way Lou Dobbs did to the olds.

This. We are currently in an anti-global, strongman surge that I argue is a delayed result of the 08/09 financial crisis. The masses never got any justice. We were just told that we were responsible for buying expensive houses that we couldn’t afford. It was our fault.

What is going to be the result of this? 

If people don’t feel like justice has been done or problems fixed, we’ll decline further and further into authoritarianism. 

However, this could be different. I mean a virus is different than a financial crisis started w/ housing.

This could also be a defining moment like the Great Depression where the US jolts to the left and puts us on a different trajectory for the next roughly 50 years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chooky said:

Just to entertain the psychotic level of punishing states would require us to ponder how some states would otherwise be rewarded.  In that macabre meritocracy, Florida would get rewarded for not closing down spring break and then having the attendants later pack up and disperse in sprawling flocks back across a third of the country.  A round of applause for Florida.  Well done, Florida.    

In that link I posted last night the DeSantis said that Broward County is their hot spot.  

It is very troubling that we do not appear to be on a path to making both infection and antibody tests truly readily available to everyone.  Testing everyone is the only way to allow people to safely return to normal life.  Neither Trump nor many governors appear to have this as a priority.  Scary.

6 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Why would we hold states to a different standard than the federal government?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Fauci is quoted in the San Antonio Express News predicting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths. 

Way back in the Vietnam days, it was said with 57,000 killed that everyone in America knew of someone who died. If there's any truth to that, then certainly everyone will know someone to die of Covid now.  

So far it seems like for a lot of the US this has been a TV miniseries about an overblown hidden threat.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

It is very troubling that we do not appear to be on a path to making both infection and antibody tests truly readily available to everyone.  Testing everyone is the only way to allow people to safely return to normal life.  Neither Trump nor many governors appear to have this as a priority.  Scary.

I've been reading tests will never be available on any scale.  A vaccine is 1 year to 18 months away.  So you got it and you either live or die.  Or you don't got it because you are locked in your house until May.

And the clock continues to run when some states go on with business as usual and planes fly people from one coast to another.

Do I have that right?