CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

What website reliably updates case #'s and mortality for the United States?  "worldometers.info" is not the answer.

I'm specifically looking for the data going back to case #1, not just a rolling report for "today" and "yesterday".  Ryan Struyk's tweet shows mortality, but I don't know where he got his data.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What website reliably updates case #'s and mortality for the United States?  "worldometers.info" is not the answer.

I'm specifically looking for the data going back to case #1, not just a rolling report for "today" and "yesterday".  Ryan Struyk's tweet shows mortality, but I don't know where he got his data.

Worldometers graphs include historical numbers. Just click on United states and scroll along the graphs (total cases, new cases, total deaths, new deaths). You can also use 1point3acres, same instructions. 

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Sorry Houston if you want more tests, go fuck yourself. Feds tell Houston to buy their own tests or do without. 

My understanding is that more of the local hospital systems will be able to expand testing this week but no guarantee of that.

The federal govt appears to be waving the white flag to testing and telling everyone to figure it out for yourself. We can all rant and rave against the feds but as with hurricane responses, solutions still need to be found when the feds fail.

PSA: Search out local charities that your help more than ever, like food banks. If you still have a salary and can spare some $, $100 goes a long way to feed people in need. Also blood donations are down right now. 5 minutes to donate money or 15 minutes to donate blood is a big help. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Worldometers graphs include historical numbers. Just click on United states and scroll along the graphs (total cases, new cases, total deaths, new deaths). You can also use 1point3acres, same instructions. 

It boggles the mind that there is no official table (CSV, etc.) to download at CDC or wherever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It boggles the mind that there is no official table (CSV, etc.) to download at CDC or wherever.

True. But, at this point it is easy enough to just copy down the data from worldometer or 1point3acres or use the nytimes data posted to github (but not updated as often). 

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

So only Korea + Vietnam + Iraq I + Afghanistan  + Iraq II...and people were worried about this nothing burger.

You can include every combat death since WWII, 9/11, and the right's favorite talking point, H1N1, and barely break the low estimate.

• Like 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

I found a downloadable dataset at county level, but haven't been able to dig into it yet.  Let me find the link.

Here's the county level

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/blob/master/us-counties.csv

Here's the state level:

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/blob/master/us-states.csv

There's also raw data at this link:

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data

• Like 1

Here they are, in csv format.

Cases:

https://usafactsstatic.blob.core.windows.net/public/data/covid-19/covid_confirmed_usafacts.csv

Deaths:

https://usafactsstatic.blob.core.windows.net/public/data/covid-19/covid_deaths_usafacts.csv

More info on methodology here. They built a tool to scrape the info off of the various state health department websites. 

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/

Methodology: This interactive feature aggregates data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), state- and local-level public health agencies. County-level data is confirmed by referencing state and local agencies directly.

The data for all states was last updated on March 29, 2020, at 6:00 AM Pacific/9:00 AM Eastern Time. We've noted below when we last checked data from the states.

The 21 cases confirmed on the Grand Princess cruise ship on March 5 and 6 are attributed to the state of California, but not to any counties. The national numbers also include the 45 people with coronavirus repatriated from the Diamond Princess.

USAFacts attempts to match each case with a county, but some cases counted at the state level are not allocated to counties due to lack of information.

Because of the frequency with which we are currently updating this data, they may not reflect the exact numbers reported state and local government organizations or the news media. Numbers may also fluctuate as agencies update their own data. At present, we are working on ensuring that we can provide this data with the most up-to-date information possible

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's pretty great that the NYT is making their dataset available.

Methods:

Methodology and Definitions

The data is the product of dozens of journalists working across several time zones to monitor news conferences, analyze data releases and seek clarification from public officials on how they categorize cases.

It is also a response to a fragmented American public health system in which overwhelmed public servants at the state, county and territorial level have sometimes struggled to report information accurately, consistently and speedily. On several occasions, officials have corrected information hours or days after first reporting it. At times, cases have disappeared from a local government database, or officials have moved a patient first identified in one state or county to another, often with no explanation. In those instances, which have become more common as the number of cases has grown, our team has made every effort to update the data to reflect the most current, accurate information while ensuring that every known case is counted.

When the information is available, we count patients where they are being treated, not necessarily where they live.

In most instances, the process of recording cases has been straightforward. But because of the patchwork of reporting methods for this data across more than 50 state and territorial governments and hundreds of local health departments, our journalists sometimes had to make difficult interpretations about how to count and record cases.

For those reasons, our data will in some cases not exactly match with the information reported by states and counties. Those differences include these cases: When the federal government arranged flights to the United States for Americans exposed to the coronavirus in China and Japan, our team recorded those cases in the states where the patients subsequently were treated, even though local health departments generally did not. When a resident of Florida died in Los Angeles, we recorded her death as having occurred in California rather than Florida, though officials in Florida counted her case in their own records. And when officials in some states reported new cases without immediately identifying where the patients were being treated, we attempted to add information about their locations later, once it became available.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was about to post the link to the CDC but then I saw your reference to Case #1.  Not sure if it's in here or not.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's the Johns Hopkins charts, if that helps.

http://www.91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

"How # Taiwan tripled its mask production AFTER the outbreak of the Corona crisis: Government installed 92 new production facilities in a few weeks for around EUR 10 million. Capacity 13 million # masks / day. If own needs secured, export / auxiliary deliveries."

This largely requires a  federal level of mobilization and coordination.  Continuation of the ongoing pattern of "reacting to and chasing" developments at the highest levels leads to sustained failure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Not only that, but they do not appear to notice the creep of that policy towards fascism coming from behind the scenes. The Millers, the Pompeos, et al slowly but surely turning the screws. The dirty browns, the nasty females, the old and the weak. Trump may put voice to the hate, but look at what the policy makers are doing right now. Bannon must be so happy that his reich is coming to fruition. Even if the administration is changed in 2020, the tatters of the economy will bring those haters poised to rise again in 2024 or '28 if this is not stopped in its tracks. Fox/OANN aren't going to go away without some serious leverage against them spewing propaganda. Charlie Kirk will preach to the young the way Lou Dobbs did to the olds.

8 years will bring about a change of Demographics in a huge way.   Lots of dirt napping olds by then.  Lots of young 20s folks now hate the GOP - but who are still flaky and unreliable voters - will be 8 years older, with kids, and following the reliable model of voting more the older you are.   Add to that the real possibility that  Covid-19 and the delayed primary and general election season brings about some expansion of mail-in ballots.    The former factor might change the GOP numbers, reducing them by 5 or 10%.   The increased young vote in 8 years will get you another 5%.    A more universal mail in ballot will be a few percentage points increase to the minority democratic voter suppressed by the GOP in the last few go-rounds.

Add to that the increase in Hispanic vote in 4-8 years,  and Texas may flip.   If Texas flips, California and New York and Texas gets you 44% of the way there, electoral wise.  And if Texas flips, then it is very likely that   NM, AZ, CO, and NV are going blue as well.  Arizona faster due to white olds deaths and younger Hispanic democrats registering.    If the other elephant graveyard of Florida flips, we won't see a GOP POTUS for a decade or two.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I’m posting this for posterity so I don’t ever forget the dates.

On Thursday March 12 at the Y I overhead a doctor telling another guy in the locker room that this whole thing was overblown and not a big deal. This had been a constant old white man refrain I’d heard for 2 weeks. 

On Sunday March 15 at a bar I overheard another doctor say the same thing. This was while we all were practicing preliminary social distancing as there were about 5 of us there and the true threat was revealing itself. 

Trumps lies about this had a huge impact. And continue to do so. Don’t ever let them try to gloss over that. 

You were going to the Gym and bars a couple of weeks ago? It sounds like you were influenced by Trump's lies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SameSame said:

As much as we have all watched Trump be a jackass, it is still hard fully digest that he just had a press conference where he ordered the VP not to return calls to state leaders who are desperately reaching out for help.

Help that could directly save lives of Americans and help that they shouldn't have to publicly ask for.  

I mean what the living fuck man, what the fuck!?!!!?

right, but the owning of the libs is amazing.  

-Republicans 

36 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

The President of the United States is trolling Americans during a pandemic. It seems like there would be a rule in place allowing for someone to beat the fuck out of him.