CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The guy filing the lawsuit is a physician (he's an embarrassment to physicians across the board), reportedly anti-LGBT (violates the Hippocratic Oath), and a gun proponent (interesting position for a physician to take). 

https://www.hotzehwc.com/dr-hotze/

Fuck him and the three pastors for putting their egos and agendas ahead of public safety. And no, gun stores and shops are not essential businesses in a time like this.

Edited by UDontKnow

Some companies are building their brand and others are wrecking it.

Before anyone gets too excited about noble CEO’s cutting their pay, keep in mind that bonus and stock compensation usually dwarfs salary by an order of magnitude. Of course, it’s better than doing nothing.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the issue here if a small town wants to be stupid.  Isn't this just Darwin?

If the big cities tell the small towns to fuck off when the small town health infrastructure is overwhelmed,  then yes, Darwin.  However, if they expend hospital resources to help the bumpkins at the expense of big city citizens and prevent Darwin from  doing his work,  then no, not Darwin.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Agree hospital scenes mean nothing when their is a death counter on the web that everyone has access too. When it reaches 60K by some projects in mid April all these fucks are going turn into peppers themselves.

I mean it does if you're going to say how things look in a different country entirely.

No different than showing what a regular day at BFBama trailer park looks and call it New York.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Before anyone gets too excited about noble CEO’s cutting their pay, keep in mind that bonus and stock compensation usually dwarfs salary by an order of magnitude. Of course, it’s better than doing nothing.

I get that, but it's not the same as Fertitta's shitty performance or Hobby Lobby. 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the issue here if a small town wants to be stupid.  Isn't this just Darwin?

Well, what about all the intelligent people that have been following best practices?  Won't these Gohmert fanbois increase the risk to them when they have to make a grocery run?  Or god forbid have a medical emergency that requires a visit to the hospital that is now overrun with CV19 cases?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Good lord. "Bush wars aside?" Bush was a lot closer to Trump than he was to Obama. He was a disaster. He didn't protect us from another major terrorist attack. None were attempted. 9/11 took years of planning and coordination and funding. They didn't have to attempt another one because 9/11 gave them such a great return on their investment.  

Clinton warned Bush that Islamic terrorism was the greatest threat to this country. Bush ignored him. Richard Clarke, the "Terrorism Czar," warned him. His office was defunded and defanged. The intelligence agencies warned that there were blinking red lights indicating something big was coming. Bush was more concerned with tax cuts. He received a PDB titled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." What did Bush do? Not a goddamned thing. Just like Trump with the Pamdemic, Bush ignored the warning signs and got caught with his pants down. 

you're not wrong

but i'd still rather have Bush in charge than Trump. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Very interesting link. You can drill down to individual counties. This site uses cell phone location data to see who is staying put and who is still moving around. Travis County got an 'A' rating and is in the top 5 counties in Texas:

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

WilCo with a B. Better than I expected. Looks like we were doing better, then everybody went driving around over the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

you're not wrong

but i'd still rather have Bush in charge than Trump. 

Trump is the best thing to have happened for the Bush family legacy. How awful is Trump to make us wish for a Bush president back in office? It's really that awful.

• Like 3

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Trump is the best thing to have happened for the Bush family legacy. How awful is Trump to make us wish for a Bush president back in office? It's really that awful.

magnitudes of awful. GWB was a horrible president and yet I would take him back in a heartbeat

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What here makes them needed to be taxed?

Oh the first thing that comes to mind are the pastors of megachurches lining their own pockets under the guise of charity that includes proselytizing. It's truly a business which is why it should be taxed.

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Fuck him and the three pastors for putting their egos and agendas ahead of public safety.

True.  But I’m actually glad they filed this suit, because it gave someone a reason to post a picture of Lina Hidalgo.  

• Like 1

Very interesting link. You can drill down to individual counties. This site uses cell phone location data to see who is staying put and who is still moving around. Travis County got an 'A' rating and is in the top 5 counties in Texas:

Well shit.  I am not getting any work done today with this rabbit hole.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Oh the first thing that comes to mind are the pastors of megachurches lining their own pockets under the guise of charity that includes proselytizing. It's truly a business which is why it should be taxed.

And that's really why these pastors are filing this suit.  People attending church via Zoom almost certainly don't give as much as those sitting in the pews.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Bell isnt much better, 18% with a 130k population.  Going to be swell here in a couple of weeks.  

Hah, got you both beat.  An F with a 4% reduction.  Yesterday we got our first confirmed case.  And today we went SIP.   See if that does any good.

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Hah, got you both beat.  An F with a 4% reduction.  Yesterday we got our first confirmed case.  And today we went SIP.   See if that does any good.

This YT channel is heavily focused on math, number theory, and problem modeling, and he does some interesting studies on what different social distancing and quarantining behaviors look like.

He makes a salient point in that this is all just "toy" models, so don't take anything to the bank as gospel, but I think it does a good job at illustrating the trends that our healthcare experts around the country are saying will happen given a certain behavior. This video is especially interesting since his models wait until a certain threshold of cases is hit before quarantine/SIP measures are put in place.

TL:DW is that based on our current behavior, we're likely going to see a long tail of cases due to the inconsistency of practicing social distancing, with some regions getting hit significantly harder than other regions.

• Like 2

Newsom updating California - 

We are headed into our surge of patients for the next two weeks. The State has been planning for this over the past couple of months. It will be dark, but California will push through (if we can keep the wealthy off the beaches and out of the farmers' markets). 

What happened on the 20th that stopped everyone in their tracks?   

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If the big cities tell the small towns to fuck off when the small town health infrastructure is overwhelmed,  then yes, Darwin.  However, if they expend hospital resources to help the bumpkins at the expense of big city citizens and prevent Darwin from  doing his work,  then no, not Darwin.

The big cities don't mind taking all the sales tax from the purchasing done by us bumpkins.  Nor do they bitch when we serve as part of their economic base for the addition of said hospitals.   Scott and White and all those others built those hospitals and clinics based on serving the extended community, not just those within city limits.  

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And that's really why these pastors are filing this suit.  People attending church via Zoom almost certainly don't give as much as those sitting in the pews.

And think of all the added income from funeral honorariums when those start popping up.   But as video services proliferate, you watch the competition for that tithe soar, more outlandish shit coming our way.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

All Churches should be taxed to megachurches. 

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Newsom updating California - 

We are headed into our surge of patients for the next two weeks. The State has been planning for this over the past couple of months. It will be dark, but California will push through (if we can keep the wealthy off the beaches and out of the farmers' markets). 

Nobody is perfect, but he's a breath of fresh air compared to the Donald's and DeSantis's of the world. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Nobody is perfect, but he's a breath of fresh air compared to the Donald's and DeSantis's of the world. 

I respect the fact he is down in the weeds on policy for what California needs to get past this surge of cases in the next 2-3 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm not sure how well reduction in movement correlates to social distancing.  For starters, counties with more baseline commuters/longer commutes will score higher.  Counties with more health care workers/critical industry will score worse.  And why does movement necessarily correlate with proximity to others?  What if I go for an afternoon drive every day to clear my head, never getting out of my car?

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, skeeter said:

I'll wait for Starnes to follow up with video from inside the hospital ...

I saw this earlier today and figured this was his angle.  He should have gone and licked the door handles outside the Emergency Room.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm not sure how well reduction in movement correlates to social distancing.  For starters, counties with more baseline commuters/longer commutes will score higher.  Counties with more health care workers/critical industry will score worse.  And why does movement necessarily correlate with proximity to others?  What if I go for an afternoon drive everyday to clear my head, never getting out of my car?

I see Clay County got an F, but it has 2 major highways and a small rural population. I bet there's 10 times more people just passing thru than people that live there. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

0.5% of all protestant congregations in the USA are mega-churches.

Maybe 0.05% of all congregations worldwide.

Yet in discussions like this, these very unrepresentative examples are used to justify policy decisions affecting the whole. 

Oh, and fuck that pastor. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Had a patient tell me his asshole spring breaker grandkid is calling this the boomer remover.  I had to laugh...As I said ‘what an asshole!’

You know, I'd have a lot more sympathy for the Boomers as the butt of such distasteful comments if they hadn't spent the last quarter-century bitching about Millennials* (and spending the quarter-century before that bitching about Gen X).  From the time Millennials were teenagers, they've been told by Boomers how they're lazy, self-centered, and self-entitled.  That the people upon whom they have heaped so much scorn derive some derisive pleasure from their demise shouldn't really surprise anyone.

* And yes, I would acknowledge that the patient's grandson is almost certainly too young to be a Millennial.  But the Boomers don't really distinguish between anybody who's younger than 40.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

The guy filing the lawsuit is a physician (he's an embarrassment to physicians across the board), reportedly anti-LGBT (violates the Hippocratic Oath), and a gun proponent (interesting position for a physician to take). 

https://www.hotzehwc.com/dr-hotze/

Fuck him and the three pastors for putting their egos and agendas ahead of public safety. And no, gun stores and shops are not essential businesses in a time like this.

Dr. Feelgood.

Steven F. Hotze, M.D., is the founder and CEO of the Hotze Health & Wellness Center, Hotze Vitamins and Hotze Pharmacy. His goal is to change the way women and men are treated in midlife through the use of bioidentical hormone therapy. His 8-Point Treatment Regimen has helped thousands of individuals to get on a path of health and wellness and enjoy a better quality of life in an environment of extraordinary hospitality and guest service.

Dr. Hotze is the best-selling author of Hormones, Health, and Happiness and Hypothyroidism, Health & Happiness. In Hormones, Health, and Happiness, he describes his journey from using pharmaceutical drugs to actively listening to his patients and treating the root cause of their symptoms through natural approaches. “For an acute illness, such as strep throat or a sinus infection, the drug approach may be appropriate. However, few patients with chronic ailments ever really get well by taking drugs. How can they? Chronic illness and disease are not caused by deficiencies of prescription drugs.” In his latest book, Hypothyroidism, Health & Happiness, Dr. Hotze reveals how commonly hypothyroidism is overlooked, misdiagnosed, and mistreated in women and men, and gives you just the information you need to prepare yourself to obtain help.

Suzanne Somers dedicated an entire chapter to Dr. Hotze in her New York Times best seller, Breakthrough. “This Texan doctor is going to steal your heart,” writes Somers. “He has so much energy he can’t wait to get to his office each day. He has built up a practice that is the envy of doctors everywhere.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/30/823987540/fda-oks-addition-to-stockpile-of-malaria-drugs-for-covid-19

Over the weekend, the Food and Drug Administration granted two malaria drugs "emergency use authorization" for the treatment of COVID-19. The move makes it easier to add the medicines to the strategic stockpile, which can be drawn upon in the current public health emergency.

The drugs — chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine — have been identified as potential COVID-19 treatments based on lab tests and small, limited studies in humans.

But gold standard clinical trials in the United States only just got underway. Preliminary results from those studies aren't expected for weeks or months.

One thing is for sure, the FDA decision doesn't reflect an official determination that the drugs work against the coronavirus.

"This is not FDA approval of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19," says epidemiologist Rajesh Gandhi, who is leading Massachusetts General Hospital's COVID-19 treatment task force. "There's an epidemic of misinformation out there, and we need to combat that."

The emergency use authorization only applies to the supply of these two drugs in the Strategic National Stockpile, the government's storehouses of emergency medical supplies located in warehouses throughout the country.

Hospitals would need to request access to the drugs through their states, and the medicines would only be distributed to patients who have been hospitalized and tested positive for COVID-19, but for whom a "clinical trial is not available, or participation is not feasible," according to the FDA.

"It's nice to know that they have it in the event we're running low or going to run out," says Onisis Stefas, chief pharmacy officer at Northwell Health in New York, where doctors are already using the drug for patients who can't be enrolled in clinical trials. "It's good to have this as backup."

The emergency use authorization won't affect patients seeking this drug from their local pharmacies, where shortages have been reported.

Sandoz, the generic and biosimilar arm of drugmaker Novartis, donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile. Bayer Pharmaceuticals donated 1 million doses of chloroquine. The Department of Health and Human Services announced on Sunday that it accepted these doses "for possible use in treating patients hospitalized with COVID-19 or for use in clinical trials."

President Trump began promoting both drugs at his daily coronavirus press briefings earlier this month, prompting a spike in hydroxychloroquine prescriptions and concern about shortages and accidental poisonings.

If the drugs were helpful, doctors would be pleased to have a treatment option.

"We were told patients with COVID-19 who received this drug cleared the virus better than patients that did not receive the drug," says Francois Nosten, who directs the Shoklo Malaria Research Unit in Thailand, and has been working with chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for decades. "But it's not sufficient information to be sure that this drug can be used or should be used in treating patients more widely."

Preliminary findings often don't pan out.

"The whole history of infectious disease is littered with drugs we all thought were going to be promising but turned out ... not to be," Mass General's Gandhi says, adding that some of these medicines even turned out to be harmful.

my father in law, who is refusing social distancing because "if it's my time, it's my time," sent me a daily caller article on something called the usa wire. it reads....somewhat differently.

https://theusawire.com/2020/03/19409-fda-issues-emergency-authorization-of-anti-malaria-drugs-as-doctors-herald-results-for-coronavirus-patients/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Newsletter

FDA issues emergency authorization of anti-malaria drugs as doctors herald results for Coronavirus patients
Daily Caller News FoundationDaily Caller News Foundation March 30, 2020

Mary Margaret Olohan on March 30, 2020

The United States Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization for donated anti-malaria drugs hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate as doctors say the drugs are showing positive results for coronavirus patients.

The FDA issued the authorization to allow doctors to distribute and prescribe the anti-malaria drugs to hospitalized teen and adult patients who have coronavirus, the Department of Health and Human Services said in a press release. Doctors may distribute and prescribe the drugs “as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible.”

The emergency authorization was issued to the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, which is working with the National Institute of Health to plan clinical trials of the drugs.

“President Trump is taking every possible step to protect Americans from the coronavirus and provide them with hope,” said HHS Secretary Alex Azar in a Sunday statement. “Scientists in America and around the world have identified multiple potential therapeutics for COVID-19, including chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine.”

Cholorquine and hydroxchloroquine are oral prescription drugs approved to treat malaria and some other diseases, HHS added.

“The President’s bold leadership and the hard work of FDA and HHS’s Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response have succeeded in securing this large donation of medicine,” he added. “We’ll continue working around the clock to get American patients access to therapeutics that may help them battle COVID-19, while building the evidence to evaluate which options are effective.”

News of the FDA’s authorization came as Kansas City–area physicians say the drugs have positive results for coronavirus patients. Dr. Jeff Coyler noted in a Wall Street Journal op-ed that in-vitro studies and initial clinical reports support the drugs’ success in treating the virus.

Coyler said that physicians are using the drugs, which he abbreviates to HC and AZ, to treat patients with advanced coronavirus symptoms. They do so through a regimen from a recent French open-label trial, which Coyler says doctors “may modify in any given case.”

“After the 2002-03 global outbreak of SARS, a coronavirus related to the one that causes Covid-19, an in vitro study conducted by doctors from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified chloroquine (a relative of HC) as an attractive option for prevention and treatment,” he wrote.

He added: “If added before the virus was introduced, the drug was highly effective in preventing cellular infection. Even later application markedly inhibited infection. Another contemporaneous study showed similar results. As for Covid, a Chinese study published March 9 showed HC has excellent in vitro effects. Other recent information suggests potential antiviral mechanisms of HC and chloroquine.”

it's really kind of incredible. there are two distinct americas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

You know he's gonna be martyred and Evangelicals around the country will hold huge services in his honor.

Guy just hit the jackpot.  He'll be a regular on Fox and Friends in no time.

That's when the grift really starts to pay.

• Like 2