CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I hope not because PPE coming from China was recalled by the Netherlands, France, and Spain for being defective. I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to be engaging in intentional sabotage at this point.

I saw it in the news but can't find it now.  This is from some "think tank" in Washington.  Hmmm.  

COVID-19: China's exports of medical supplies provide a ray of hope
Chad P. Bown (PIIE)
March 26, 2020 5:00 PM
Image credit: REUTERS/Aly Song
Hexuan Li, Eva Zhang, and Tianlei Huang provided outstanding data assistance, and William Melancon and Oliver Ward assisted with graphics.

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I saw it in the news but can't find it now.  This is from some "think tank" in Washington.  Hmmm.  

COVID-19: China's exports of medical supplies provide a ray of hope
Chad P. Bown (PIIE)
March 26, 2020 5:00 PM
Image credit: REUTERS/Aly Song
Hexuan Li, Eva Zhang, and Tianlei Huang provided outstanding data assistance, and William Melancon and Oliver Ward assisted with graphics.

My source: https://www.businessinsider.com/coroanvirus-holland-recalls-over-half-a-million-masks-imported-from-china-2020-3

And I was wrong about the other European countries. The issue there was with Coronavirus screening kits not reliably detecting the viral infection (and not PPE). Regardless, the quality from China is subpar and endangers human life.

I got no witty headline for this. too full from dinner:

Also, lol:

Perhaps acknowledging the League’s aging, Hill has also repeatedly asked older members on VK to include the League in their will.

“If you want to support The League of the South long-term in the fight against our Marxist enemy, please consider putting us in your will. And if you don’t have a will yet (and everyone should, regardless of age), then our attorneys will help you draw one up free of charge. Just let us know your plans and needs. Thanks in advance for your generosity.”

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I got no witty headline for this. too full form dinner:

I think I see his angle, here:

Perhaps acknowledging the League’s aging, Hill has also repeatedly asked older members on VK to include the League in their will.

“If you want to support The League of the South long-term in the fight against our Marxist enemy, please consider putting us in your will. And if you don’t have a will yet (and everyone should, regardless of age), then our attorneys will help you draw one up free of charge. Just let us know your plans and needs. Thanks in advance for your generosity.”

Edited by Bullneck

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Also, lol:

Wait, so they're old and getting together? Is there any way they would consider moving up their annual conference date to like tomorrow and meet in any of New York City, New Orleans, or Detroit? Someone else besides me get in touch with them. They would not listen to me even if I tried because my skin is brown.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

For those like me who were ignorant to the situation in New York and where Cuomo failed to prepare. Disclaimer: This post in no way supports this piss poor effort made by Trump and his "administration."

https://wsyr.iheart.com/featured/bob-lonsberry-syr/content/2020-03-25-numbers-show-governor-andrew-cuomo-failing-in-coronavirus-fight/

If the numbers are correct, and if social distancing and the flatten-the-curve approach are correct, then Cuomo should have ordered his New York Pause some three weeks earlier. And he should have embraced – instead of killed – Mayor Bill de Blasio’s consideration of a complete shutdown of New York City.

But he didn’t. And as a result, America’s largest city has become a new ground zero, to such an extent that a presidential advisor has recommended all people leaving the city self-quarantine for 14 days, to reduce the likelihood of taking the disease with them across the face of the nation.

Cuomo in 2015 was advised he was 16,000 respirators short of what he would need in the event of an epidemic. He was told he had one-ninth of the number he needed. But instead of buying more, as he was advised, he chose to commission a panel to create a rubric for – in the event of having more patients than respirators – deciding who would be denied a respirator in the case of an emergency.

That means he decided that, in the event of an epidemic, eight-ninths of critically ill New Yorkers would have to die.

That’s the Matilda’s Law that matters.

And now, as the respirator chickens are coming home to roost, and New Yorkers are dying by the dozens daily, Cuomo’s plan is unraveling. Preparations were based on a worst-case scenario of 110,000 critically ill patients at the epidemic’s peak, and the governor now believes it will be 140,000. And instead of that peak arriving in 45 days, it will be here in 14 or 21. That makes the peak much higher and much sooner than the governor anticipated, and that change came about after the implementation of three weeks of steady gubernatorial control.

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

For those like me who were ignorant to the situation in New York and where Cuomo failed to prepare. Disclaimer: This post in no way supports this piss poor effort made by Trump and his "administration."

https://wsyr.iheart.com/featured/bob-lonsberry-syr/content/2020-03-25-numbers-show-governor-andrew-cuomo-failing-in-coronavirus-fight/

cuomo shouldn't be president either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Cuomo's new found approval is directly tied to how fucked up Trump has been. Yeah, mistakes were made, but he's not up there like it's his rally he can't have elsewhere. He's going to have to answer for the mistakes, but it is overshadowed by him getting out there and having a reasonable facsimile of leadership. 

• Like 2

More on the scum of the earth guy in Brooklyn price-gouging doctors and nurses in addition to coughing on FBI agents telling them he was infected with Coronavirus. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/price-gouging-suspect-baruch-feldheim-allegedly-coughed-on-fbi-agents-said-he-had-coronavirus

When the doctor went to pick up the items at a repair shop, he told investigators, it contained enough hand sanitizers, Clorox wipes, cleaning and surgical supplies “to outfit an entire hospital,” prosecutors said.

Prosecutors allege that Feldheim also offered to sell a nurse surgical gowns. And when FBI agents went to his house on March 28, they watched people walking out with bags that appeared to be medical supplies.

When the agents approached Feldheim and identified themselves, he coughed in their direction, and then said he was infected with coronavirus, prosecutors alleged. He denied that he possessed the medical supplies or bought and sold them.

Feldheim faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Hope he gets the maximum time in prison.

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The whole 1/9th of what is needed seems fishy.  

Is the Syracuse reporter* saying that every city in every state is supposed to have on hand enough equipment to fight a pandemic WITHOUT any assistance from the Feds?  I know it's not FEMA, which responds to largely geographically localized disasters, but that seems like a big ask.  I'll hang up and listen.

Edit:  

Bob Lonsberry is the father of nine children, a veteran of the United States Army, and a newsman for nearly three decades. The former newspaper columnist, reporter, and author, is a marathon runner. Bob, an NRA Life Member, is a strong advocate for the 2nd Amendment and a fierce critic of the NYSAFE Act. Bob is heard on two heritage iHeartRadio Stations; you can hear Bob mornings on NewsRadio WHAM 1180 in Rochester, N.Y. and afternoons on NewsRadio 570 WSYR; Now on 106.9 FM in Syracuse, N.Y. While not on the air Bob is an active member of his Church community and spends time hunting and fishing out on his country land."

So he's Trump guy I guess.

Edited by Bullneck

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Exactly.  Trump is barely more sophisticated than a virus.  He runs a very basic playbook over and over again. There’s no strategy, only instinct rewarded by a feedback loop of stupid.  It works because there’s a sizable host population whose ignorance, anger, and insecurity makes them uniquely vulnerable to Trumpitis.  

Well said. thinking of Trumpism as a virus is spot on honestly. How to fight Trumpitis?

CNN guys asks "gotcha question" and page 210 has their titties tickled. Sun Szu is turning over in his terra cotta my G. You can ask Trump anything about now, stay on point and be ruthless about it, but alas thinking CNN would be on point is a waste of hope. Instead we ask a "gotcha question" that the virus can now use it to dig itself further into its hosts. 

OK fine = I'll head back to Cape Catharsis, shit, the weather is nice today too. 

Hope you are well @BrickHorn

Edited by staboner

23 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The whole 1/9th of what is needed seems fishy.  

Is the Syracuse reporter* saying that every city in every state is supposed to have on hand enough equipment to fight a pandemic WITHOUT any assistance from the Feds?  I know it's not FEMA, which responds to largely geographically localized disasters, but that seems like a big ask.  I'll hang up and listen.

Edit:  

So he's Trump guy I guess.

But Cuomo!

Why is it so fucking difficult to point out that the normal N95 mask demand could probably be satisfied with 10K-20K masks, given the fact that that the average victim of a car accident, heart attack, stroke, cancer, allergic reaction, whatever doesn't force healthcare workers to wear that gear? 

God damn, this isn't hard.  Come on.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why is it so fucking difficult to point out that the normal N95 mask demand could probably be satisfied with 10K-20K masks, given the fact that that the average victim of a car accident, heart attack, stroke, cancer, allergic reaction, whatever doesn't force healthcare workers to wear that gear? 

If you arrive on my trauma unit already intubated for any of these reasons: MVC, stroke, TBI, explosions (we admitted three of those this weekend..), etc., etc., we can't screen you and have to treat you as positive until we can get you tested and ruled out. It's a huge fucking hassle, and we went from empty to almost full over the course of this weekend because people are getting bored and doing stupid shit. Stop doing stupid shit.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How many masks are used in a day? I'd say that varies a lot from one person to another depending on what they've been exposed to. There's no clear cut answer because 3M doesn't want to expose themselves to liability. One a day x errybody what can stand to wear one x NYC =? 

100K/day is not out of the realm of possibility. 

But, since they are selling them out the back, they get nothing. 

Edit: no clear answer as to how long a mask is effective. For particulates or anything 

Edited by cactusflinthead
Clarification

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

i need to find the interview, it was cnn at least a week ago, but i was listening in the car. it was right after trump came out with his brilliant idea that the masks should be disinfected and reused - something he mentioned at least 3 days in a row, like he was the first person in history to suggest it.

the interview was with a hospital worker explaining the process of doing this while dealing with covid positive patients. it sounded time-consuming and extremely dangerous for the doctors/nurses. when they’re dealing with these patients all day, they fly through these masks or they get infected (or both unfortunately).

but wait, trump said it’s nyc and the hospitals are always crowded, so yeah. that’s a real mystery there. 

Just now, henrygandorf said:

the interview was with a hospital worker explaining the process of doing this while dealing with covid positive patients. it sounded time-consuming and extremely dangerous for the doctors/nurses. when they’re dealing with these patients all day, they fly through these masks or they get infected (or both unfortunately).

It is extremely dangerous for healthcare providers and extremely dangerous for our patients. People are going to die because of the amount of time it will take nurses and other providers to react to emergent situations and properly protect themselves (which is also a joke, because the equipment we have is laughably inadequate) before they enter into a patient's negative pressure room. Our nurses are being told "There is no emergency in a pandemic," which is technically true in terms of protecting yourself, but that's not going to stop intubated and critically ill patients from tanking.

This is here in Austin, by the way, and we've barely gotten started. Stay the fuck indoors. 

• Like 3

I want to add that they want all bedside staff to try and use one surgical mask per shift and one N95 mask per shift, unless they get visibly dirty/soiled. That's over twelve hours of multiple uses and exposures. Not exactly what they're rated for, nevermind that N95's will still allow viral particles through (just not quite as many). Our faceshields are also made for single-use and are being used over the course of a whole shift as well. The gowns we are provided with are somewhat droplet resistant, but they're one-size only and they do not protect our tall men well at all (arm length mostly from what I've observed). So far they aren't asking for the reuse of gowns, but it's probably a matter of time.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Last week he was mad they weren't recycling masks and wondered why they had to use a new one each time.

He's desperate and throwing anything, literally anything against the wall hoping it will stick as a defense of his inactions.

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“I won't be so glib as to ask what happened to Trump's "America First" policy. That's too easy. But the fact Trump claimed to comprehend the risk posed by the coronavirus and then shipped nearly 18 tons of equipment that includes much of what our medical staff are now pleading for means either he was lying or is dangerously incompetent. You can pick which one you believe. But the results are the same for our valiant health care workers who are working tirelessly to save lives from Covid-19.”

28 National Institutes of Health staffers test positive. They're teleworking until May 1.  I get the feeling we all will be too.  

https://dcist.com/story/20/03/30/coronavirus_latest_dc_maryland_virginia_week_of_april_1/

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What are they, $.95 each?  Let's make 20 million of them.  Fuck, we already blew a trillion.

I think my post has been misinterpreted.  I was talking about the old normal, and Trump's inability to understand why hospitals now need an order of magnitude more masks than they needed 3 months ago.

I wasn't in any way criticizing current usage models.  

I think my post has been misinterpreted.  I was talking about the old normal, and Trump's inability to understand why hospitals now need an order of magnitude more masks than they needed 3 months ago.
No, you should criticize current usage models. It's fucked up and putting the people who need to be the healthiest in mortal danger.

13 minutes ago, trauma babe said:
25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, you should criticize current usage models. It's fucked up and putting the people who need to be the healthiest in mortal danger.

Oof.  OK, current procedures exacerbate the problem.

I was TRYING to say that legitimate N95 mask usage and predicted consumption is likely skyrocketing from a few months back, given the surge of C19 patients.  Trump seems unaware of this.  He's trying to use old demand numbers to justify his conspiracy theory that masks, etc. are being hoarded or sold on the black market.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oof.  OK, current procedures exacerbate the problem.

I was TRYING to say that legitimate N95 mask usage and predicted consumption is likely skyrocketing from a few months back, given the surge of C19 patients.  Trump seems unaware of this.  He's trying to use old demand numbers to justify his conspiracy theory that masks, etc. are being hoarded or sold on the black market.

i understood and agreed with your original post. 

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Also, lol:

I remember when the Illinois Nazis were a spoof.  

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Meanwhile...

EUMsJgBWoAAPeqc?format=jpg&name=900x900

Thoughts and prayers, y'all.

Fuck! My yacht! Of course, my yacht! I should get in my chopper with my beloved and fly out to the yacht to wait this plague out. How could I not have thought of that?

Fuck!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

If any of you have 19:28 minutes to spare, here's John Oliver expressing everything that's been said in this thread in a very condensed but effective rant. If you're really pressed for time, start at 2:30.

That is so very spot on.