CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:
What is this beef about.  

NYT Political Reporter (Martin) equated Trump's position on whether we need testing as arguable point. Scientist said it was not an arguable point - and should not be characterized that way. NYT Political Reporter (Martin) said "you are messing with the wrong guy if you are coming after me."  Scientist called him a dangerous hack and then went on to praise "Science Reporters" at the NYT as far superior to Political Reporters at the NYT.

TLDR - Scientist is dragging a dimwit NYT political reporter for giving any credence to Trump's position on testing for CV-19.

Wisdom from scientist - Politics is not a spectator sport; it affects real people who will die. 

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:
What is this beef about.  Also, how do you post actual tweets?

fm73L6jh_reasonably_small.jpeg

Oh and the health reporters like and #DonaldMcNeil are fantastic, as is their ed-board health guru . Both and have done great work on #coronavirus too. So not a 100% hater on the paper.

On the tweet it will have 3 dots in a kinda sorta triangular pattern. Mash it and 'copy link to tweet' pops up. Walla. Bob's your uncle. 

Middle of Yale epidemiologist tearing slack reporter a new one. 

Do your fucking job NYT. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, not wealthy Californians. Middle class Californians who own homes and pay property and state income taxes.

If you own a home in California, you are wealthy beyond compare to most who consider themselves middle class. The amenities in California for the home owning "middle class" are outstanding and funded by SALT. 

Bottom line with 30 million+ looking at unemployment - the SALT tax issue is not a priority. I think most living in cul de sac's would agree - at this time of great need. 

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

On the tweet it will have 3 dots in a kinda sorta triangular pattern. Mash it and 'copy link to tweet' pops up. Walla. Bob's your uncle

That doesn't work for me either Bullneck.  Could there be an issue with my settings?

One of these days people are going to realize that this country is capital v. labor. Full stop.

The NY Times represents the interests of capital. It always has. Its jealously guarded reputation for fairness and balance in political matters serves the interest of this country's ownership class. If you are pulling down a paycheck, you are not part of that class. You are their subjects.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

That doesn't work for me either Bullneck.  Could there be an issue with my settings?

are you on a phone?

you have to delete the "mobile." from the start of the url.

so the link looks like https(colon)//mobile(dot)twitter(dot)com/username/status/111000111000 but to embed you need it to be https(colon)//twitter(dot)com/username/status/111000111000

Edited by elfenix
it's trying to embed my fake URLs why can't i access the bbcode

5 minutes ago, zork said:

Fuck off with that trash 

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21177099/joe-biden-coronavirus-covid-19-plan

The plan and speech gave Biden a chance to reiterate the core message of his campaign: a promise to return to more normal, competent policymaking after years of chaos and uncertainty under Trump. It’s a particularly effective contrast after Trump gave a speech on Wednesday night that almost immediately resulted in a slew of corrections by the administration and provided no ideas for how the administration will stop Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, from spreading within the US.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

i get that since the beginning, trump has wanted to keep our numbers down (see the cruise ship, etc), but now that the cat is wayyyyyy out of the bag, these types of measures are dangerous.

if the public sees high numbers, they'll pay attention, stay home, and stay safe.  if the numbers start tailing off, they'll think it's ending, and they'll go outside and socialize.  that will only serve to exacerbate the problem and lengthen the pandemic.

i still just don't understand the disconnect here.

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Zork, you know what I like best about his plan?  He let's the people who know what to do, do it.  

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Fuck off with that trash 

The plan and speech gave Biden a chance to reiterate the core message of his campaign: a promise to return to more normal, competent policymaking after years of chaos and uncertainty under Trump. It’s a particularly effective contrast after Trump gave a speech on Wednesday night that almost immediately resulted in a slew of corrections by the administration and provided no ideas for how the administration will stop Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, from spreading within the US.

I assumed that the post was to show Biden having difficulty with communicating, which is hilarious considering the current office holder. 

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

PSA: I'm negging anyone who comes here tomorrow and says there's a cure that's been discovered.

Death is a cure for COVID-19. 

At one point some of the "get back to work"/"the olds have a duty to die" set flaunted that public policy proposition openly. 

Some are still in power.

spacer.png

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/dan-patrick-coronavirus-grandparents

Edited by washparkhorn

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i get that since the beginning, trump has wanted to keep our numbers down (see the cruise ship, etc), but now that the cat is wayyyyyy out of the bag, these types of measures are dangerous.

if the public sees high numbers, they'll pay attention, stay home, and stay safe.  if the numbers start tailing off, they'll think it's ending, and they'll go outside and socialize.  that will only serve to exacerbate the problem and lengthen the pandemic.

i still just don't understand the disconnect here.

This is following on the heels of this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/23-sailors-us-navy-aircraft-carrier-test-positive/story?id=69818040

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Fuck off with that trash 

i read your username as "cactus f'n linthead"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welp, looks like Republicans (the shittiest people) have their upcoming new talking point. 

Mitch is telling people that the government couln't concentrate on COVID-19 because impeachment was distracting them.  Chingao. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Welp, looks like Republicans (the shittiest people) have their upcoming new talking point. 

Mitch is telling people that the government couln't concentrate on COVID-19 because impeachment was distracting them.  Chingao. 

They came out in a chorus with that one. Fox News will be running it all night long. 

He was so busy with impeachment . . . 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wait, you mean trumpers don't look past the headline? or look to see if the information they're spouting is actually true? that doesn't sound like someone who follows probably the most pathological liar ever to hold public office.

What of the below do you take issue with?

Only about 9 percent of households would benefit from repeal of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’s (TCJA) $10,000 cap on the state and local property tax (SALT) deduction, and more than 96 percent of the tax cut would go to the highest-income 20 percent of households, according to a new analysis by the Tax Policy Center. The top 1 percent of households, those making $755,000 or more, would receive more than 56 percent of the tax cut. TPC estimated repeal would reduce federal tax revenues by $620 billion between 2018 and 2028.

TPC found about 45 percent of households in the top 20 percent of the income distribution (who make $153,000 or more) would get a tax cut if the SALT cap is repealed, as would more than 9 of every 10 households in the top 1 percent. By contrast, only about 3 percent of middle-income households (who make between $49,000 and $86,000) would pay less in taxes than if the SALT deduction cap is retained.

Repealing the SALT deduction cap would cut taxes by an average of about $370, but that’s largely because so many households would get no benefit at all. Among all those whose taxes are reduced, the average tax cut would be about $4,100. For all middle-income taxpayers, the average tax cut would be $10. Those in the top 1 percent would pay an average of $31,000, or 2 percent of after-tax income, less. Among those who get a tax cut, middle-income households would pay an average of $360 less while those in the top 1 percent would pay an average of about $34,000 less.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/high-income-households-would-benefit-most-repeal-salt-deduction-cap

Red Logic:

Republicans are human and have no empathy

Corporations have no empathy

Ergo, corporations are human.

Our healthcare went to shit when it shifted from a profession to a business.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/30/intermountain-is-cutting/

Intermountain will cut pay for doctors and nurse practitioners amid coronavirus pandemic

Intermountain will cut pay for doctors and nurse practitioners amid coronavirus pandemic

(Rick Egan | Tribune file photo) The Sorenson Patient Tower of Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah.

6b3a90b3-9946-430a-b24c-36ccf4c9eb04.jpg
 · Published: 21 hours ago
Updated: 17 hours ago
Editor’s note: The Salt Lake Tribune is providing readers free access to critical local stories about the coronavirus during this time of heightened concern. See more coverage here. To support journalism like this, please consider donating or become a subscriber.

Intermountain Healthcare — the largest medical provider in the state — will cut pay for physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants during the coronavirus outbreak, which an administrator said in a message sent to staff last week is financially necessary amid “the changing needs.”

The salary reduction discussion comes despite the growing demand for medical professionals to respond to the pandemic. Some hospitals across the country are being overwhelmed with coronavirus patients. And the cases in Utah increased to 806 Monday, with more expected in coming weeks, and four reported deaths.

“You’re putting your life on the line, and you’re being possibly exposed,” said one advanced practice provider at Intermountain who’s upset by the changes. The Salt Lake Tribune agreed to identify her only by her position because she fears being fired for speaking out.

“Now they’re reducing pay with the people who are on the front lines,” she added. “It’s just a slap in the face.”

The Tribune spoke with four staff members at Intermountain facilities. Their identities and employment were verified, but The Tribune has agreed not to name them due to their fear of retaliation. Each confirmed the pay cuts and provided internal documents from administrators explaining the changes.

Intermountain spokesman Daron Cowley responded with a statement Monday, saying that the compensation adjustments would come in June for “a limited number of physicians and advanced practice providers ... that experience significant reductions to their workload.” No cuts have happened yet.

“Intermountain is doing everything possible to keep employees working,” he said. "One way we’re doing this is through redeployment of employees to areas of need. If an employee is redeployed to another role, they’ll continue to be paid at their current rate."

For those unable to be reassigned, the company will pay up to four weeks for time missed, Cowley added, and “employees can also use their accumulated paid time off (PTO) to cover other missed work after the four weeks.”
The impending pay reductions were announced Friday in an email sent to staff that included a link to a video from Intermountain. That clip was uploaded to the company’s YouTube page one day earlier.

“Our priority is to help you continue to work and have a stable income,” says Mark Briesacher, chief physician executive, in the recording. “We’re doing that through temporary measures for redeployment and compensation. This will help us meet the needs of our patients, as well as reduce uncertainty for you and your families.”

In the explanation, Briesacher notes that many physicians and caregivers statewide are “experiencing extremely high demand for clinical support” during the crisis. But others, he says, have seen a reduction in work because of canceled appointments and all elective and nonessential surgeries being postponed during the outbreak. Because of that, Intermountain is not receiving as much revenue.

In response, the company will be moving jobs around, requiring staff to move to areas of high need and changing shifts. Pay will adjust accordingly, too.

For example, nurses who have an 8-hour on-call shift as part of their 40-hour week have gotten paid at time and a half if they are then called in to work a full shift, some told The Tribune. That benefit will end and they will be paid as normal for only the hours they work.

Intermountain is also not offering hazard pay for those working directly with patients impacted by the pandemic.

“It’s absolutely demoralizing,” added one ICU nurse at Intermountain, who is already working with some COVID-19 patients. “You can’t pay me on good feelings.”

Some doctors at University of Utah Health, meanwhile, are trying to negotiate for hazard pay. U. Health spokeswoman Kathy Wilets said: “Right now, we’re reviewing all ways to support and recognize our teams for their efforts.”

The documents provided to Intermountain staff lack clear details about how many will be impacted by the cuts. But there are 2,400 physicians and advanced practice providers at Intermountain.

“How does this affect the compensation of provider leaders? Will they take a pay cut too?” the document asks. The provided response then answers: “Intermountain is continuing to pay people for the work they are doing.”

The CEO of Intermountain made roughly $1.6 million in 2017, according to public tax documents. U.S. News reports the median salary for physicians nationwide was about $200,000 in 2018.

And the company, as a whole, has reported an operating income of $547.1 million on revenue of $7.72 billion for 2018, according to a health care database.

Briesacher says in the video that the company is amending compensation “to create flexibility.” That will primarily include physicians who work on an RVU — or relative value units — schedule that pays based on productivity and the number of patients seen. The documents that Intermountain sent out note that visits for those doctors are down 30% to 50%.

But the changes will also extend, Briesacher says, to shift-based and salary models.

“They have a lot of explaining to do,” added another advanced practice provider who works at an Intermountain facility. “They refuse to be transparent.”

She said that regardless of whether staff are in the ICU or emergency room, they’re still seeing patients and risking infection from the virus. She changes her clothes every day as soon as she gets home so she doesn’t possibly spread anything to her family, she said.

As much as possible, the doctors where she works have moved to video or telephone calls — but that work of reaching out to patients is still happening. There are people who continue to need help.

“Our work doesn’t stop just because patients don’t come in,” she added.

Another woman who works with vulnerable patients said insurance companies are compensating for the video calls but not the check-ups done by phone, even though many older patients don’t have the technology set up to support video. She’s trying to help prevent those individuals from coming in and being exposed to the virus, if they don’t have to be.

The woman believes the work she continues to do is important during the outbreak. But she said a pay cut will mean possibly not having enough money for her family.

“That’s going to impact everything, my ability to provide for my kids and give them shelter and food,” she said. “I really don’t make very much in my position.”

One advanced practice provider said Intermountain told employees two weeks ago that the company was economically sound. Then the announcement came Friday. The documents provided say that the changes are unrelated to the company’s finances, but rather “linked solely and directly to the work providers are and are not doing.”

“It took us all completely by surprise,” the advanced practice provider added. “We were all shocked given that we’re in the middle of a pandemic. It just adds to the uncertainty and fear. They’re just worried about their bottom line.”

Intermountain put in its video a note saying, “We’re all in this together.” One staffer responded: “Bull---t we are.”

— Tribune reporter Paighten Harkins contributed to this story

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

we're never getting out of our houses as long as morons value their fucking vacations over the greater good.

Who's stuck in their houses?  I'm actually very surprised so many Surly's are saying they're staying indoors and under some type of REAL Lock Down.  

Just about every business I know is open and people are on the roads...it's basically business as usual, except for Schools and Dine in Only Restaurants.  That's it.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Go to the website in the tweet to see what all makes up the model.   This graph is based on social distancing only.   Shelter in place drops the percentages drastically from over 70% to 3% and 9000 deaths.   Total lock down goes to <1% and 1000 deaths.   Not sure of the length of these actions to get those results.

Lulz at the "Shelter in Place".  It's just unenforceable social distancing.  

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Who's stuck in their houses?  I'm actually very surprised so many Surly's are saying they're staying indoors and under some type of REAL Lock Down.  

Just about every business I know is open and people are on the roads...it's basically business as usual, except for Schools and Dine in Only Restaurants.  That's it.

neil degrasse tyson badass GIF

In Austin, there is a verifiable ~50% decrease in normal daily traffic. We need it closer to 70%. 90% if we could get it. Travis Co is one of the top 5 counties in Texas. The dipshits that returned from Cabo today fucked up the good ride we were on, however: https://www.unacast.com/post/the-unacast-social-distancing-scoreboard

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'll start being mad when people here aren't doing the same.

Umm wait, you don't expect any more maturity and decorum from the president of the united states than a typical message board full of assholes. 

"Some guy on surly was an asshole, so Trump can be as big an asshole as he wants to be and he can't be called to account for it."  

Do you realize how moronic that sounds? 

With respect, that may be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.  Jesus Christ.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
spacing is everything.
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah, I read the decree our county judge put out.  Pretty much boilerplate stuff.  Not much shut down in our county by this.  Maybe a few antique shops and florists.   Hell, it even lists liquor stores as an essential business.    

Just seems to me if they are going to let business continue as normal, basically, then change how they do business.  Let people take numbers outside, or give them (sanitized) pagers to let them come in to normally crowded stores like grocery and convenience.   Hire extra workers to be runners who can deliver food or supplies right to vehicles, like HEB is doing.  

But yeah, mandating this SiP is worthless and a way the leaders of these basically trumpkin counties can cover their ass (to insure gov't assistance during and after) without pissing of the trump base.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

Have a co-worker who is out today trying to get tested due to Covid symptoms that he's had for the last couple days after sharing your attitude, Drew, so you are in good company.  Good luck, and stay the fuck away from me.

2 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Umm wait, you don't expect any more maturity and decorum from the president of the united states than a typical message board full of assholes. 

"Some guy on surly was an asshole, so Trump can be as big an asshole as he wants to be and he can't be called to account for it."  

Do you realize how moronic that sounds? 

With respect, that is maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.  Jesus Christ.

I mean if you think that Donald Trump isn't some guy on the internet forum with more power, then I don't know where you've been this last few years.

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

neil degrasse tyson badass GIF

In Austin, there is a verifiable ~50% decrease in normal daily traffic. We need it closer to 70%. 90% if we could get it. Travis Co is one of the top 5 counties in Texas. The dipshits that returned from Cabo today fucked up the good ride we were on, however: https://www.unacast.com/post/the-unacast-social-distancing-scoreboard

You're mistaking me for someone who's ignoring this. Or is okay with people ignoring this, I'm not.

I can only assume Austin is rare, but from what my family is saying about DFW area and especially in central Texas, and other than basically schools, EVERYONE I know is still going to work.  The Shelter in Place orders are worthless as just about every job you can think of(at least 75-80%) are considered essential.

All I'm saying is that instead of actually taking hard action, we're doing this limp wristed attempt at keeping people home, that quite a bit are either ignoring, or considered essential.

Not sure why you think I'm trying to be a badass.

Just now, workswithseed said:

I mean if you think that Donald Trump isn't some guy on the internet forum with more power, then I don't know where you've been this last few years.

Ahh so, he's been a troll so long you are now giving him a pass.  I see.  Just because my dog doesn't stop pissing on the floor after the first time I tell her to stop, doesn't mean I'm not going to keep working to make sure she stops.  Good lord man, what a defeatist attitude you have.

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Have a co-worker who is out today trying to get tested due to Covid symptoms that he's had for the last couple days after sharing your attitude, Drew, so you are in good company.  Good luck, and stay the fuck away from me.

What the Fuck are you talking about?!?  I'm outraged by this weak ass Shelter in place BS we're under.  It really doesn't affect as many as it needs to.

So while you idiots continue to not actually read what I'm posting, I'll continue to do what you guys are doing, and complaining about the lack of an actual response to this crisis.  

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

we're never getting out of our houses as long as morons value their fucking vacations over the greater good.

Anyone who decided it was okay to go on a vacation like that can't be trusted to self quarantine. DHS should have detained them at the border and put them in enforced quarantine using their broad power to put people in cages. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

What the Fuck are you talking about?!?  I'm outraged by this weak ass Shelter in place BS we're under.  It really doesn't affect as many as it needs to.

So while you idiots continue to not actually read what I'm posting, I'll continue to do what you guys are doing, and complaining about the lack of an actual response to this crisis.  

Dude sorry.

When you said "Who's stuck in their houses?  I'm actually very surprised so many Surly's are saying they're staying indoors and under some type of REAL Lock Down. " I took that to mean you were one of the assholes who isn't staying at your house just because you don't want to be inconvenienced.  If you are doing what you are supposed to then sorry for the misunderstanding and we are in agreement.