CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Death is a cure for COVID-19. 

At one point some of the "get back to work"/"the olds have a duty to die" set flaunted that public policy proposition openly. 

Some are still in power.

spacer.png

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/dan-patrick-coronavirus-grandparents

If heaven is so great and you believe you’re going to go there.... I say 

see ya goodbye GIF

But seriously. Fuck that carpetbagger in his fake Texan ass.

• Like 1

Sorry, I thought that was pretty clear, but the internet.

While I WISH I was doing exactly that, the fact that I work at my family's Car Dealership, and it's considered essential, I HAVE to be here, and have been bitching about it Daily.  And I'm only speaking from personal experience and I literally see no difference from who's at work/not at work today compared to 2 weeks ago.  Wish the state would do a real lock down. These SiP orders just don't seem to be doing anything.

11 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Dude sorry.

When you said "Who's stuck in their houses?  I'm actually very surprised so many Surly's are saying they're staying indoors and under some type of REAL Lock Down. " I took that to mean you were one of the assholes who isn't staying at your house just because you don't want to be inconvenienced.  If you are doing what you are supposed to then sorry for the misunderstanding and we are in agreement.

thought the same thing from his post. so it's not you. it's the words he wrote. :D

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Sorry, I thought that was pretty clear, but the internet.

While I WISH I was doing exactly that, the fact that I work at my family's Car Dealership, and it's considered essential, I HAVE to be here, and have been bitching about it Daily.  And I'm only speaking from personal experience and I literally see no difference from who's at work/not at work today compared to 2 weeks ago.  Wish the state would do a real lock down. These SiP orders just don't seem to be doing anything.

I work from home and have for years.  All of my customers are now joining from their homes as well, but my customers in Austin are all either high tech or education, so I know that at least for those sectors, employers at least seem to be taking this seriously.

My spouse is required to go in to work. He normally works 7-7 but what he has been doing is reducing as much as possible until now his time away from home is 8-12 and the rest he does from home. I have been out of the house (not counting walking) three times in a little over a month--all to the grocery store in the very early hours. That's it. Same for the rest of the family. We have been bunkered down and watched the rest of the town go around town and complain about the restrictions because they cannot understand long term thinking. Period. Petrified over a caravan of brown people and ignorant about microbes because...science. I would like to go to Mars with Matt Damon and become a potato farmer in shit. I think the odds are better at this point.

• Like 1

Trump really ought to plead with Fiona Hill to return from Brookings. He'll never do it and he is biased against smart women, but boy, some of them sure are batting much better than the blokes when it comes to policy lately. She knew how to read Putin.

There are some notable exceptions.

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No.  It presents like the flu.  It presents like pneumonia.  It can present with gi issues.  It can look like the common cold.  Even with our stringent testing we our going to have more negatives than positives.

And stringent testing is the fucking problem.  We should be testing everyone.  Everyone.  That way we know who to quarantine.  Thats what SOuth Korea is doing and thats why they have been so successful.

Instead this administration used the two month head-start they had to do fuck-all.

But now it was strategy?

The reason this strategy won't work is because Americans are obnoxiously stupid. The reason why Korea's numbers are even as high as they are is because of a cult that deliberately spread it among its members and the general public in an area called Daegu. What's the result when 40% of your country is a cult?

Edited by AngryDragon
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Ahh so, he's been a troll so long you are now giving him a pass.  I see.  Just because my dog doesn't stop pissing on the floor after the first time I tell her to stop, doesn't mean I'm not going to keep working to make sure she stops.  Good lord man, what a defeatist attitude you have.

Ah, so people on here should be able to say anything, because c'mon were just internet trolls. Also didn't hear anything about his comment on Romney, but it's okay he's a republican. He can die since I don't agree with his policies.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Red Logic:

Republicans are human and have no empathy

Corporations have no empathy

Ergo, corporations are human.

Our healthcare went to shit when it shifted from a profession to a business.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/30/intermountain-is-cutting/

100%.  My wife is dealing with similar circumstances.  Her practice was bought out by a private equity firm a few years ago and they have completely run it into the ground.  I expect this to bankrupt them.

Just now, workswithseed said:

Ah, so people on here should be able to say anything, because c'mon were just internet trolls. Also didn't hear anything about his comment on Romney, but it's okay he's a republican. He can die since I don't agree with his policies.

Do 2 people post from your account?  Sometimes you make good points that seem well thought out and others it's bullshit on par with EWA and other idiots on here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

neil degrasse tyson badass GIF

In Austin, there is a verifiable ~50% decrease in normal daily traffic. We need it closer to 70%. 90% if we could get it. Travis Co is one of the top 5 counties in Texas. The dipshits that returned from Cabo today fucked up the good ride we were on, however: https://www.unacast.com/post/the-unacast-social-distancing-scoreboard

I work at a startup.  We all put in ~ 60 hours per week.  We've been off site since 3/21 and are doing the same for weeks to come.

When I venture out, the town is fucking dead.  Whatever Drew is talking about, it ain't Austin.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

If heaven is so great and you believe you’re going to go there.... I say 

see ya goodbye GIF

But seriously. Fuck that carpetbagger in his fake Texan ass.

True story:  People kept referencing "Lt. Dike" in their posts on this board, and every time I assumed they were referring to our own Danny Goeb, who is Lt. Governor and kinda looks like an elderly female lesbian.  Only today have I figured out the Band of Bros connection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I work at a startup.  We all put in ~ 60 hours per week.  We've been off site since 3/21 and are doing the same for weeks to come.
When I venture out, the town is fucking dead.  Whatever Drew is talking about, it ain't Austin.
Went through Lakeway today at lunch to drop some supplies off for a friend and it's as crowded as ever and maybe worse than normal. Very few people wearing mask in stores, line at Chick-fil-A was out to 620. Shit ton of olds hobbling into Home Depot to buy whatever including plants.

I won't be surprised if this area is hit hard with all the self-entitled assholes and Fox News crowd thinking it's a hoax.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't even understand the point you are trying to make.  You tried to draw an equivalency between the president of the united states of america and random surly poster.  That's fucking insane.  Now you appear to be saying that since surly has assholes, we ought to have no rules.  That doesn't make any sense either man, and what that has to do with Romney is fucking beyond me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

They came out in a chorus with that one. Fox News will be running it all night long. 

He was so busy with impeachment . . . 

And that doesn't take into account his endless tweeting about Fox News.  Because that's all the motherfucker does--play golf, tweet at Fox News, and hold rallies.

I challenge anybody in the administration to produce a single document showing any instance in which a meeting to discuss COVID-19 was canceled or not scheduled because Trump was dealing with impeachment.  Because if that happened, in this age of email, there'd definitely be an email saying "I'm sorry we can get this on POTUS's schedule, but he's too busy with meetings with his lawyers."

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i get that since the beginning, trump has wanted to keep our numbers down (see the cruise ship, etc), but now that the cat is wayyyyyy out of the bag, these types of measures are dangerous.

if the public sees high numbers, they'll pay attention, stay home, and stay safe.  if the numbers start tailing off, they'll think it's ending, and they'll go outside and socialize.  that will only serve to exacerbate the problem and lengthen the pandemic.

i still just don't understand the disconnect here.

I infer that the infection rate is so high at this point that it is affecting readiness, and the Pentagon doesn't want to let that particular cat out of its bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Welp, looks like Republicans (the shittiest people) have their upcoming new talking point. 

Mitch is telling people that the government couln't concentrate on COVID-19 because impeachment was distracting them.  Chingao. 

You mean Republicans had to come up for air from sucking Trump's mushroom and deal with Democrats? They would have been following Trump's lead and taking it lightly anyway.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Who's stuck in their houses?  I'm actually very surprised so many Surly's are saying they're staying indoors and under some type of REAL Lock Down.  

Just about every business I know is open and people are on the roads...it's basically business as usual, except for Schools and Dine in Only Restaurants.  That's it.

Lulz at the "Shelter in Place".  It's just unenforceable social distancing.  

Where do you live? I was out today for groceries and 183 is pretty much empty compared to a regular Sunday. Yes there was more traffic but business at usual in Austin is traffic at a stand still.

23 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Went through Lakeway today at lunch to drop some supplies off for a friend and it's as crowded as ever and maybe worse than normal. Very few people wearing mask in stores, line at Chick-fil-A was out to 620. Shit ton of olds hobbling into Home Depot to buy whatever including plants.

I won't be surprised if this area is hit hard with all the self-entitled assholes and Fox News crowd thinking it's a hoax.

#silverlinings

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

Did anyone notice what I posted in the DT CV19 thread that got me banned? I got a warning and now every single post on Surly has to be approved by a moderator. 

No, that thread moves really fast so I don't always keep up. What happened?

That thread started out very promising with facts and info,  but it developed a weird vibe over the last month probably because separating the medical/testing information bleeds (no pun intended) easily into policy and politics and some folks get a little prickly about that.

16 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No, that thread moves really fast so I don't always keep up. What happened?

That thread started out very promising with facts and info,  but it developed a weird vibe over the last month probably because separating the medical/testing information bleeds (no pun intended) easily into policy and politics and some folks get a little prickly about that.

I explained it in this thread however that explanation is waiting for approval along with this post. 

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

US - DEATHS, 3,759 ↑ 27% (+796 past 24hr),
US - CONFIRMED CASES 184,395 ↑ 15% (+24310 past 24hr)

we just passed 9/11 in total deaths (and by a lot). that is blood on Trump's hands

Where are you getting your data from?  Worldometers and 1point3acres have not posted complete data yet for today.

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

38 new cases in Travis Co total today. After only 6 yesterday. If those spring breakers are male, chemical castration. If female, send to the my house. I'll deal with them.

Looks like Austin/Travis County finally put up a ZIP code heat map showing where the cases are (scroll down). West Austin, 78704, and Pflugerville look to be current hot spots. Given the Spring Breakers, I'll go ahead and guess that West Campus is about to blow up. Don't go sleeping on Bee Cave though.

https://austintexas.gov/COVID19

btw, in case it's not obvious, I have already started drinking. found out  this morning covid has reached my apartment building and that I visited a trash room (don't know if on same floor or even same building - they won't say because of "privacy concerns") on the day they did as well. so yeah, today has been a shit show. might as well get drunk #thankstrump

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Where are you getting your data from?  Worldometers and 1point3acres have not posted complete data yet for today.

1point3acres data is similar to that.  they present data as day cumulative from midnight rather than last 24, so that data doesn't align except at whenever their midnight is.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, FondrenRoad said:

In 2019, 219 people in total died from auto accidents in NYC.  199 people and climbing have died so far from coronavirus in NYC in less than a month. Yeah same thing. 

Only posted this a week ago. Now up to 932. So covid is already over 4x the yearly auto rate fatality in NYC.  NYC sees about 2,000 flu deaths each year. Covid will pass that 3 days from now. 

All the people who say its the same as the flu are wrong.