CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

As long as you have states like Texas and Florida . . . 

Florida is absolutely going to go full Florida on this. I expect them to pass NY in total cases in 3 to 4 weeks as NY's shelter in place starts to pay off.  Still some dumbasses in NY gathering in crowds though so maybe not. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Florida is absolutely going to go full Florida on this. I expect them to pass NY in total cases in 3 to 4 weeks as NY's shelter in place starts to pay off. 

I agree. I was snooping around on the Villages newsletter and it sounded like the residents were ignoring any social distancing. A few folks were writing into the paper, but didn't sound like people were paying attention. It's really sad.

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Went through Lakeway today at lunch to drop some supplies off for a friend and it's as crowded as ever and maybe worse than normal. Very few people wearing mask in stores, line at Chick-fil-A was out to 620. Shit ton of olds hobbling into Home Depot to buy whatever including plants.

I won't be surprised if this area is hit hard with all the self-entitled assholes and Fox News crowd thinking it's a hoax.

My Dad was one of the few public Democrats in Lakeway until he died 7 years ago. A lot of really good older guys there who scheduled their day around the Rush Limbaugh show and O'Reilley. I imagine many of those retirees are also gone now, but that is a conservative area filled with older people. At least they have a big hospital handy to them when it hits. 

A lot of homes might be coming on the market by summertime. I wonder what the real estate market will do in these hard times. Any clues?

47 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So the HEBs to avoid are Hancock HEB and Bee Caves HEB?

There's definitely a wait at the Oak Hill HEB at the Y. The Randalls at Wm Cannon and Mopac has no line to get in and they seem to be very proactively keeping the carts and surfaces very clean. Downside: Randall's is out of a lot of stuff.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

NY metro needs to be doing more  - a LOT more. They should not be cutting away from the scientists. 

The NY and NJ daily press conferences are more informative and have been consistently over 2 weeks ahead of federal guidelines on social distancing, self quarantine, and honesty about infection rates and hospital needs.  

Fauci and Birx are fine scientists and doctors, but they don't have permission to speak freely. Quite honestly, the daily federal press conference is extremely damaging for NY viewers who may take the federal recommendations over more stringent state recommendations. I suppose its better than nothing for red state viewers who get little to no state advice.

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

From a national security perspective, COVID-19 is troublesome now - and in the future, if weaponized. 

Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons.  The military is supposed to be ready for it.  We always said "NBC" stood for "No Body Cares."

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

The NY and NJ daily press conferences are more informative and have been consistently over 2 weeks ahead of federal guidelines on social distancing, self quarantine, and honesty about infection rates and hospital needs.  

Fauci and Birx are fine scientists and doctors, but they don't have permission to speak freely. Quite honestly, the daily federal press conference is extremely damaging for NY viewers who may take the federal recommendations over more stringent state recommendations. I suppose its better than nothing for red state viewers who get little to no state advice.

Oh definitely. But the folks I know here in Texas that are Trump supporters do pay attention when they have these conferences so I want those doctors giving them the straight dope as much as they are allowed to do.

NY/NJ need to listen to their governors.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

No offense but NY/NJ were far too late in waking the fuck up.

Washington State is the gold standard. California applied Washington standards on a wide scale and it is working (knock on wood). 

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Trump back up. He's going to go with his favorite number.

There it is: 2.2 million.

I believe Trump would be bragging about 2.2 million dying.  His entire life is numbers:  money spent, money earned, money lost, television ratings, on and on.  The higher, the better.  In everything he's ever done in his life, he has to have a higher number.

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Governor Inslee looks like a fucking genius for going 2 weeks earlier than the rest and they haven't had a uptick surge like other regions. He seems like an intelligent and effective leader.  Every state is different but he seems to have handled it right from the jump. Good on him and his peeps.

"That governor is a snake."

- Donald J. Trump, March 6, 2020

• Like 1